• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lets come back to this: One Piece downgrade thread

So, what are you suggesting as the ideal solution?

0.3 seconds is decent but increase the distance.

use a distance from back to front 0º to front to back 180º for the entire distance of the punch, since he threw it straight then rotated it
image.png

I think if we use this calc, we should note in his speed section that he's MHS+/Sub-Rel (whatever speed his Bajrang Gun is calc'd at) with Bajrang Gun. Reason being, for this calc to hold any weight whatsoever, it is presupposed that his fist is moving at the calculated speeds, which is fine and all, as long as it is acknowledged on his profile. This is important because without such we'd be contradicting the calc by asserting Luffy's FTL+ even with Bajrang Gun, since SoL and faster KE isn't a thing.

To quote our KE rules page,

No kinetic energy for faster than light speeds: Kinetic energy calculated for FTL objects is not considered legitimate, as the kinetic energy of an object, using the correct physical description through relativistic mechanics, would require infinite energy to reach the speed of light, and for objects above the speed of light the equations wouldn't return real values. Since the energy would approach infinity towards the speed of light it also isn't allowed to use relativistic speed as an approximation for the kinetic energy of faster than light objects, since by using an approximation close enough to the speed of light any given value could be reached through that method.

Highlighting the key point here: "KE calc'd for FTL objects is not considered legitimate..." so if we accept that Luffy is FTL+ when throwing his Bajrang Gun punch (as per his profile) we would be violated our KE rules and the calc would bunk. However, if there's good rationale for Bajrang Gun to just be much much slower than Luffy's normal attack speed, then that's perfectly fine, slap that on his profile and we no longer are violating any rules.

I'm sure there are plenty of profiles on this site that don't abide by the above rule, but just preemptively speaking, let's not use that as an excuse or whataboutism to propagate malpractice when it comes to wiki standards.

I'm not making any arguments for or against the calc being used, I frankly don't care, but I felt it pertinent to point this out. This way we make sure that we adhere to site standards regarding KE as it pertains to the consequences from what this calc must assert.

No you'd do sumn like "MHS+ with Bajrang Gun" and link the calc (MHS+ is a place holder here, idk what the actual calc'd value is).
Not really, there's many instances on this wiki where we count KE of something via what the calc says but we don't use the calc as the limit of what the profile says

Not really, there's many instances on this wiki where we count KE of something via what the calc says but we don't use the calc as the limit of what the profile says
I'm sure there are plenty of profiles on this site that don't abide by the above rule, but just preemptively speaking, let's not use that as an excuse or whataboutism to propagate malpractice when it comes to wiki standards.
Yeah they're wrong. They're in direct violation of our KE standards. Two wrongs =/= a right.

@Arc7Kuroi That would probably be better left for a CRT on scaling as a result of whatever changes are accepted here for the calc. Not for this thread.

And I don't find this worthwhile. The reason we don't do stuff like this is because a character can scale to one speed, but in terms of calculating stuff, that speed can vary from instance to instance. That's literally a big part of why our Calc Stacking page exists. It's not something we really throw onto profiles

@Arc7Kuroi That would probably be better left for a CRT on scaling as a result of whatever changes are accepted here for the calc. Not for this thread.
That is so real Damage.

Aight I'll drop it, someone else can make a CRT for it afterwards if they feel so inclined, I only brought it up because I believe it is rather pertinent to this thread.

And I don't find this worthwhile. The reason we don't do stuff like this is because a character can scale to one speed, but in terms of calculating stuff, that speed can vary from instance to instance. That's literally a big part of why our Calc Stacking page exists. It's not something we really throw onto profiles
Really. In another scene the speed can be much greater.

It's him yanking an island size fist at MHS+ speeds, that's lifting

Someone who needs like 3 seconds to curl a 25 lb dumbbell once vs someone who can curl it 20 times in a second obviously have different lifting strengths
So, all those punches are considered lifting strength just by calculating the energy from the punch divided by the punching distance? Because they can lift their own fists?

So, all those punches are considered lifting strength just by calculating the energy from the punch divided by the punching distance? Because they can lift their own fists?
What? No, that's not what he's saying. Yanking an island sized fist at MHS+ speeds is absolutely lifting, it's not just the act of punching

What? No, that's not what he's saying. Yanking an island sized fist at MHS+ speeds is absolutely lifting, it's not just the act of punching
The point is that all punches are the same. I don't quite understand why there needs to be a distinction between large and small characters. For example, if there is a giant 2 kilometers tall, would his punch be considered lifting strength because of the larger fist size? Is there a specific criterion regarding size that determines whether this method of calculation is applicable? If Luffy's fist is of normal size but moves at MHS+ speed, can it be calculated this way?

Yeah, punching is also considered Striking Strength ain’t it as well?

After all, I don’t usually count punching as Lifiting unless it comes with other actions and so on
The point is that all punches are the same. I don't quite understand why there needs to be a distinction between large and small characters. For example, if there is a giant 2 kilometers tall, would his punch be considered lifting strength because of the larger fist size? Is there a specific criterion regarding size that determines whether this method of calculation is applicable? If Luffy's fist is of normal size but moves at MHS+ speed, can it be calculated this way?

This is technically derailment from the original topic and The act of punching are usually considered striking strength since you know, you striking an enemy with a punch.

This is technically derailment from the original topic and The act of punching has usually considered striking strength since you know, you striking a enemy with a punch
I'm not sure if this is derailment because this thread still discusses calculating lifting strength a little. I'm just here to ask my questions out of curiosity.

In this case, Luffy is pulling the mass of a giant ball far above him at MHS+ speeds. That's quite different from a regular punch

I'm not sure if this is derailment because this thread still discusses calculating lifting strength a little. I'm just here to ask my questions out of curiosity.
There is the Q&A forums or if you prefer, talk to specific staff members that has some general knowledge regarding that specific part. Beside, you kinda don’t need to broaden the topic that was to handle concerns with a calc and all

No. Why on god's green earth would we assume a timeframe over a shown one?
Because the shown one is unreliable.

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that out of the hundred frames of animation there, only one of them is actually depicting movement properly and all the others are conveniently wrong.

I'm not really a big fan of assuming timeframes over using shown ones, though. I mean, the big sentiment at the time was "wait for the anime" and now that the anime's here, it's "don't use the anime"?
I get what you mean, but my perspective at least is "Wait for the anime to have more information to work with" and now that we've got access to that information I've evaluated it as not being very reliable. Others can evaluate it and interpret it differently.

It's not like every single depiction by the anime is a worthwhile timeframe anyway. Remember how long it took Pica to do anything in the drawn-out Dressrosa episodes?

I get what you mean, but my perspective at least is "Wait for the anime to have more information to work with" and now that we've got access to that information I've evaluated it as not being very reliable. Others can evaluate it and interpret it differently.

It's not like every single depiction by the anime is a worthwhile timeframe anyway. Remember how long it took Pica to do anything in the drawn-out Dressrosa episodes?
Cause that's the only frame that doesn't have something in the way of Luffy's fist??

Back