• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Skill Wars: Return of the Skill List

So as far as John Carter goes (I don't remember all of his skill feats but I'll post the ones I currently can here for now):

The man is already at least centuries old by the time of the series' start, and has been fighting wars as long as he can remember. On earth he is a legendary soldier, and "the embodiment of the fighting man". With a single gun and a sword he is able to scatter an entire camp of Native American warriors in minutes, then retreat before they can regroup.

On Barsoom, any Red Martian will have seen more combat and received more military training in 8 years than any human warrior will in their entire life. When they fight as a group, they maneuver and slash around each other with such coordination that it's as though they share a single mind.

The Green Martians are nomadic barbarians purpose-bred for combat and survival, and able to wield four weapons at once with their multiple arms, be they spears, guns, or swords. They easily outmatch Red Martians in combat prowess, with one Green able to duel evenly against four Reds simultaneously, easily fending off each warrior with one hand.

Beginning-of-series John Carter mastered all forms of Martian swordsmanship in 2 days, and used this newfound mastery to duel an "exceptional swordsman" even among Greens, whom he outskilled low-diff. The only wound he received was due to being blinded by a flash of light from the sidelines, and while completely unable to see he still managed to dodge a killing blow and deal one in return via sheer reflex. At this same point in his journey, he lands a headshot from two miles away with an unfamiliar firearm that isn't accurate at anywhere near that range after picking it up for the first time, all while noting that he's better with a sword than with a gun.

A Green Martian general is expected to be a one-man-army even among Greens, and will have hundreds of years to hone their skills, becoming so familiar with the ways of the sword that they can predict their opponent's every action before it happens.

Kantos Kan is the finest warrior among the Red Martians, serving as their greatest military leader and possessing enough skill to easily dispatch a particularly powerful Green Martian General in a single move. His fighting style revolves around a combination of traditional sword techniques, interspersed with sword-throwing to catch enemies off-guard.

Plantmen can effortlessly stomp even Green Generals due to having an incredibly bizarre, agile, and unpredictable fighting style that instinctively targets the opponent's blind spots.

Therns can easily hold off Plantmen and the physically-superior White Apes simply through extensive swordsmanship training and extremely underhanded tactics. Carter states that fighting a single Thern means countering more dirty tricks in several seconds than an experienced soldier will face all their life.

An entire Thern military force can be skillstomped by 8 Firstborn, with each one obliterating 12 Therns at once because their berserker-like fighting style is designed to plow through the Therns' defenses in spite of their trickery, and they are described as fighting with such reckless viciousness that even rabid animals look hesitant in comparison. Xodar is easily the most skilled of the Firstborn, with all of their warriors referring to him as invincible (until he meets Carter). Yellow Martians are the equals of the Firstborn, only through refinement and skill rather than strength and ferocity.

Carthoris (John Carter's half-Red Martian son) is able to stomp Xodar while just playing around, and is able to easily dance and parkour around a whole room of Firstborn warriors that he's sword-fighting all at once, while joking and having candid conversations with the people he's rescuing, not paying any attention even as he's dispatching their greatest men.

Tars Tarkas is the most skilled of the Greens by far, and achieved a battle record expected of a Martian in their hundreds in a mere five years. It was generally accepted that no number of Green Martians working together would even dream of challenging him in combat. He is the only warrior that John respects as a true equal, and is his most reliable battle partner.

John himself has his aforementioned learning curve and duel with a Green. He also skillstomps 4 Red Martians at once simply by taking advantage of the terrain. He killed a young Thern effortlessly, and fought his much more experienced teacher for several minutes, easily outwitting his dirty-fighting, all while bleeding heavily and so exhausted that he was nearly blind. He engaged and slaughtered all but one of a Firstborn Hunting Party, something that no martian in history had ever accomplished before. He later fought unarmed against a room full of Yellow Martians, and it took all fifty of them attacking at once just to halt his advancement.

John Carter and Tars Tarkas fighting as a duo in peak condition are considered unquestionably the single greatest military power on Mars, able to fight for an entire day against literal hundreds upon hundreds of White Apes and Plantmen. During this fight it describes how every motion they made inflicted death on another enemy, with the barest fraction of a second passing between each kill. John Carter and Tarkas also easily copy and counter the Plantmen fighting style after seeing it once. Carter further says that with Tarkas, Carthoris, and Xodar by his side, they could wage war on the entire planet and win after fighting from one side of the world to the other.

And both of them are effortlessly outdone by Solan, a Yellow Martian who has been fighting for several thousand years, and despite being weaker than John Carter physically, is so immensely skilled that John Carter refers to his swordsmanship as wizardry. Solan's basic, reflexive attacks were so quick and precise that they made end-of-series Carter resemble a monkey with a stick in comparison, and very nearly eviscerated him before Solan could even remotely perceive him. He is described as being so inhumanly skilled that Carter feels like he's fighting forty of him at once.

And the moment they begin fighting, Carter adapts in that brief instant of panic and becomes Solan's perfect equal, with the two surpassing all other warriors of Mars or Earth that have ever lived, and fighting the fiercest battle ever in the span of five minutes, during which they couldn't make even an inch of headway against each other. After managing to improve yet further, and distract Solan just enough to land the killing blow, Carter is essentially invincible from that point onward.

Thank you both!

And yes, they are quite fun. I've said before and I'll say again that John Carter is the best Isekai.

All of this is reminding me over and over how badly his profiles need to be revised

Marksmanship

Skill

Oh yeah, I forgot. Remove Ikki from the list.

I agree with Prince, we are obviating one of the rules for more or less no reason. If anyone wants to argue Edel, just mention hers and Ikki's stuff and say "she scales above the later". The reason right now for having both is just weird.

Should also remove Nanami for the same reason.

And while we're on the topic, why are people so upset with the idea of ties with more than 2 people? Especially since multiple series have fairly similar ways of showing the pinnacle of skill.

All in favor of removing Ikki? I'm kinda neutral on this, as we said one per verse, but nobody has come close to 1st yet anyway, so it seems harmless

I say remove him. Like Lance said, it's clearly against the rules and while harmless, it also has no reason to be allowed either. From what I remember, the reasoning is that Ikki does everything but Edel scales above. If that's the case, we will be editing in all the people that other verses like Nasu and Baki scale above for whoever is representing them which is clearly dumb and pointless.

Reasons to keep ikki:

1. Removing the skill meme, the skill lord himself, from a skill list is very unprofessional.

2. There is no reason to remove him given that he occupies a spot nobody else has, so it's not like its overcrowding spots by keeping him.

3. Why does it really matter? I don't care much about keeping him, and neither should you guys. While there may be other characters under the same conditions, they usually aren't top spot with no other contenders and aren't as memetic.

All it all, doesn't really matter whether we remove him or not, i won't object, but i don't really see any reason to remove the most memetic character in here if there's no harm in him being there.

1: irrelevant

2: "he occupies a spot no one else has". Edelweiss (Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry)/Ikki Kurogane

3: the rules say one person per verse. We are removing him to fit that rule

2. Yes, it's not like there are other contenders from other verses.

3. A rule to avoid overcrowding lists by having a spot have entire verses listed in it. It does not have such a problem in Ikki's case.

2: ok and? You are not only wrong but this doesn't matter at all

3: except it does because it's two people from the same verse when as far as we care Edelweiss is objectively better

Why are people that mess with concepts banned, but people who mess with physics or exploit weaknesses that don't exist aren't banned?

We don't ban things that mess with concepts. That was just an old rule to ban stuff like Khorne for being the "concept of skill" or a Masada dude who was supposedly above the concept of skill iirc.

But it's literally any stupidity like "transcending dimensions via skill" "cut concepts via skill" etc.

Oh i see, amazing argument. A dude who can cut concepts below Garou in skill. Yes, very good eye you got there.

He's there for reasons that aren't "cutting concepts with skill". Same as how your Nasuverse gal is there for reasons that aren't "transcended time and space with skill".

Try harder next time. Don't make such superficial arguments.

Drop it with the bull you both.

Anyway, the rule is clear and none of the things you said make any sense or have any worth Earl, so let's just remove Ikki. With him or without him is literally the same thing and I still have no clue why you added him.

Ok you clearly just see what you want to see, so I'll make it undeniably clear this time

Musashi and Sasaki did not transcend time and space through skill, it was their skill that had done so

Will you please stop the overflowing salt mine now? It's getting tedious

LSirLancelotDuLacl said:
Anyway, the rule is clear and none of the things you said make any sense or have any worth Earl, so let's just remove Ikki. With him or without him is literally the same thing and I still have no clue why you added him.
Sure.

Firephoenixearl said:
We don't ban things that mess with concepts. That was just an old rule to ban stuff like Khorne for being the "concept of skill" or a Masada dude who was supposedly above the concept of skill iirc.
But it's literally any stupidity like "transcending dimensions via skill" "cut concepts via skill" etc.
How is it different from "ignoring the laws of physics via skill", "stoping one thousand attacks with one block", "knowing someone's entire life by seeing how they swing a sword" ect?

It really depends on how the skill feat is shown. Context is really what separates "exaggeration" from "plain illogical" or "completely unrelated".

Example "Can beat higher tier via skill" cannot be judged on its own. If it's something like "Can beat someone 10x stronger". That's an exaggerated feat, but it's still ok because it's fiction, we do accept exaggeration. However if it is "So skilled he became from 10-B to 4-C" is plain unrelated. No matter how much skill you gain, it won't jump your tier, AP and Skill are completely different thing.

So you gotta tell me the feats to judge how it differs.

I've counted 4 for removal, 1 against, and 1 (me) neutral

If the majority doesn't change by, say, 4:00 pm Central Standard Time, I will be removing Ikki

Back