• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Skill Wars: The Last Skill Thread

Someone was pushing for a reform and a rule page for how we evaluate skill, but I'm pretty sure it was concluded that it should remain as a case-by-case basis (thank god)

Someone was pushing for a reform and a rule page for how we evaluate skill, but I'm pretty sure it was concluded that it should remain as a case-by-case basis (thank god)
Yeah, I’d rather any standardizing of skill be a casual and case-by-case procedure

BTW, when editing the OP, should I post the new list with the scores (like 1 being 100-90, 2 being 89-80, etc), or the old list we had before we started trying to score? If we do the new list, I can just post all the unscored people beneath the list under a section called “Unlisted” or something, IE people who need a score/rating for the new list.

Unfortunately I feel like the scoring system still has a lot of kinks to work out before it can be properly used.

Though it does give me an idea.

Also just to repost my last thing in the previous skill thread, since I didn't hear anyone's response to it
Earl, I'm sure you will be pleased to know I'm beginning to see your point and come around to agreeing with your stance about skill chains and compositing. I don't entirely agree, as I think skill chains should still be accounted for in some capacity, but I do feel I've been overstating what their importance should be. Especially considering that Musashi is an odd case, and my other examples are Kuroki and Jax, who, respectively, was placed on this list without relying heavily on a skill chain, and is basically composite skill in-universe to begin with.
I do still think we should account for the skill feats of other characters, if we know for a fact that the nominee in question would be able to counter their skill through their own skill to defeat them.
E.g. Agito's evolution being counted as part of the discussion, seeing as Kuroki directly outskilled Agito's evolution, even if he does not possess it himself. We would not, however, use Gaolang's skill (for example) in the same way, as Kuroki never fought Gaolang and has no statements to support being able to defeat him with skill alone (even if logically he probably would). However, considering that Agito's evolution did allow him to defeat Gaolang, it could be used to a lesser extent as a support for that. How will we do this? **** if I know, but we'll figure something out. And if we don't, no biggie.
That aside, it seems to have become somewhat apparent that the point system is currently rather flawed, and while I have a potential solution in mind, we may want to look for another alternative. People have ragged on the "Well, I think this just kinda seems more skilled", but honestly it seems like the best we've got at this point, and this is a fun and games thread anyway so having a flawed evaluation system or having your nominee drop a few ranks isn't the end of the world, especially if we come up with a better eval system later.

Yeah, the system definitely needs work, so what I’d planned to do is get the list set so we can work on it as we go, like “well, scoring like this doesn’t really make sense” or something like that.

Creature, with you, it’ll be enough to pass and get rid of skill chains, 6 votes + me would equal the 7, so if you’re sure, then we can remove it and I won’t have to change the scores

Yes. My initial idea is that we should list out each of the categories, and we start by identifying which examples among the nominees are the 10s. That way, right off the bat, we have a point of comparison so that the overall structure will fall into place more easily in the following discussions.

Removing skill chains completely doesn't sit right with me. I'm alright with putting that discussion on hold for now, but they should not be removed and it's an issue that will need to be addressed. Me, Weekly, and HI3 (who admittedly is no longer actively involved in this discussion) still think they should be accounted for in some way, and are a perfectly valid form of skill evaluation. Removing them places an incredibly heavy bias on characters with composite skill or a greater number of onscreen fights, and while the first is valid, the latter is not indicative of superior skill at all.

Not to mention that in extremely skilled verses where not as many of the characters have directly fought each other, it virtually removes their nominees from the running entirely.

For example, virtually all of the skill feats in Rakudai and Ragnarok come from Ikki and Kojiro, respectively, and tthey happen to show a wide variety of skills. Yujiro, Fugil, and Hayato are composites of their verse's skill, so that allows literally every other type of skill shown in their verse to apply to them (which again, is valid, but should not be overblown).

On the flipside, Fate characters only very occasionally get into bouts of pure skill, as it usually tends to be skill coinciding or colliding with hax and superior physicals. For this reason, we get very little indication of who is more skilled than who, and each Servant tends to be very specialized, about as far from composite skill as you can get. In spite of this, we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Musashi is the most skilled Servant by far despite not being a composite, and if things came down to a purely skill-based contest between the Servants she would win by a landslide. And in such a skilled verse, that is quite impressive. But under a system in which skill chains are removed, she's all but stricken from the list due to being neither a composite, nor fighting enough skilled opponents.

As mentioned, Jax and Kuroki suffer from this problem to a lesser extent.

Creature. That "should be taken into account if they're countering skill with skill" doesn't really work. Because if X has AP and Y has precision. X counters Y's precision with his AP. Does it make his AP any better? No.

However if he shows any extra feats of AP, then those are taken into account, not the fact that he can counter precision.

Ok, to try to make a temporary compromise between “keep SC” and “remove SC” how about we try to get the new list situated with the category 10 idea Creature had, and we don’t include SC. We aren’t removing it yet, but we aren’t giving points for it. That way, if we keep it, we score it. If we don’t, we can just remove the category

Good shit, alright, I guess Analytical Prediction is as good a place as any to start. Who would be a 10 in Analytical Prediction and why?

Ex.: Goku should be a 10 because he predicted Hit’s movements through a timeskip. < something like that

So for starters I guess I'll list off the best examples of analytical prediction I can think of.

Batman can slow his perception of time to analyze his opponent’s mind, predict their next action, and make their skills his own, as though he’s living a year in an instant.

Uther Doul is capable of reading ahead and seeing every individual movement it's possible for his sword to make from its current position, accounting for millions of possibilities, then shaving off all the disadvantageous ones in an instant, followed by going through the same process again and again with every single individual instant that passes.

As long as Archer has fought an opponent before, even one that outclasses him in all other regards including most forms of skill, his predictions are so good that he can reliably seize even a 1% chance of victory. Arjuna's projectiles are capable of following an evading enemy so accurately that it's as though they're homing missiles, despite this simply being a product of him perfectly leading his shots. Munenori Yagyu is able to read ahead to the point that he perceives thousands of possible fight outcomes the moment a battle begins, and stays one step ahead with a counter prepared for all of them. Musashi and Kojiro later surpass him in this regard, going from seeing thousands of outcomes to hundreds of millions, with Musashi being perfectly capable of acting perfectly enough to choose exactly which possibility plays out (not to be confused with her fatehax, which has a similar but more conceptual effect).

I would call either Doul or Musashi a 10, depending on whether it's more impressive to have to manage a million possibilities continuously and concurrently, or to read ahead and enact one of hundreds of millions.

Also can't remember how many possibilities Ragnarok Kojiro can account for but he'd be up there as well.

Alright, so the 2 contenders currently for full points on Analytical Prediction are Uther Doul and Musashi (Saber). I guess we can do this for a week, but after a week, we should pick a winner to expedite the procedure. Anyone can suggest anyone, though I’d like to have a consensus or at least a majority vote for best Analytical Prediction by next Friday or Saturday, then we can move on to the next category.

Idk, but i don't see a problem with creating a new thread

And iirc we were going to restart the list, since only a few characters have points currently.

Back