• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Skill Wars: Return of the Skill List

Firephoenixearl said:
It really depends on how the skill feat is shown. Context is really what separates "exaggeration" from "plain illogical" or "completely unrelated".
Example "Can beat higher tier via skill" cannot be judged on its own. If it's something like "Can beat someone 10x stronger". That's an exaggerated feat, but it's still ok because it's fiction, we do accept exaggeration. However if it is "So skilled he became from 10-B to 4-C" is plain unrelated. No matter how much skill you gain, it won't jump your tier, AP and Skill are completely different thing.

So you gotta tell me the feats to judge how it differs.
For example Edelweiss can attack without wasting any energy, but by moving her sword she must displace air wich should take energy.

Or "Perfect vision" can find someone's identity by seeing their fighting style, but not everyone has a unique fighting style especially if they learned it from the same place. So "Perfect vision" can't really be perfect.

Or Sasaki blocking attacks from an oponent a thousand times faster than him - for every 1 cm he moves poseidon can move 10 m it's imposible to block attacks in this condition unless poseidon deliberately attacks where Sasaki is blocking.

Tdtd1234 said:
Firephoenixearl said:
It really depends on how the skill feat is shown. Context is really what separates "exaggeration" from "plain illogical" or "completely unrelated".
Example "Can beat higher tier via skill" cannot be judged on its own. If it's something like "Can beat someone 10x stronger". That's an exaggerated feat, but it's still ok because it's fiction, we do accept exaggeration. However if it is "So skilled he became from 10-B to 4-C" is plain unrelated. No matter how much skill you gain, it won't jump your tier, AP and Skill are completely different thing.

So you gotta tell me the feats to judge how it differs.
For example Edelweiss can attack without wasting any energy, but by moving her sword she must displace air wich should take energy.
Or "Perfect vision" can find someone's identity by seeing their fighting style, but not everyone has a unique fighting style especially if they learned it from the same place. So "Perfect vision" can't really be perfect.

Or Sasaki blocking attacks from an oponent a thousand times faster than him - for every 1 cm he moves poseidon can move 10 m it's imposible to block attacks in this condition unless poseidon deliberately attacks where Sasaki is blocking.
Since I feel like Yujiro is being left out of the bullshit skill party, I feel inclined to tell you that it has just recently come to my attention that both Yujiro and Baki have a move that accelerates faster than 0 acceleration... somehow...

Edel can do that, but we never use it as an argument of "can break the laws of physics". We focus more on its practical use, in other words, the fact that she can go from 0 to top speed without needing to accelerate, which while it is impossible physically, it's not some insane fuckery of the laws of physics.

Perfect Vision doesn't use fighting style, it analyzes everything from the opponent to understand their identity.

Everything about this match was packed into those details. As if perusing the history of its fencing from the sword style technique, derive the enemy's process from the order and direction. As if collecting the school's knowledge from its swordsmanship, reverse-engineer the position from the injuries and angle. As if stealing the principles of its invention from its tricks, expose the patterns of thinking from the words and the voice. And then from everything there, investigating the previous degree of piercing's tendency, the personality, technique, design, by integrating, analyzing, understanding, exhausting data on all kinds of things―grasp everything about the person called Shizuya Kirihara!

There was no reason he couldn't do it. It wasn't difficult. Because all along, since long ago, Ikki Kurogane had fought that way!

(I will always be laughing at that "it wasn't difficult"...sureeee, sure it's not difficult)

"The wounds you've put on me. Your procedure from the sequence of wounds I took. Your direction from the angles. And the distance from the power. They all tell me where you are. Tracing the Hunter's position at any particular moment is easy if I follow these markers, and if I understand that much, it's the same as being able to see you. In that case, it's fine to do what I usually do. Whether it's sword technique or people, there's a principle that fundamentally governs all their actions. You can call it a system of values. By using that―the person's actions and plans, what that person is thinking right now, how I myself should move, what countermeasures should be taken, whether to move forward or draw back, to attack or defend―every possible action is completely and quite clearly predictable. For example, at this moment, I know that you've taken three steps back."

Kirihara's body froze in fright at Ikki's light declaration, and he leaked out a soundless shriek, because what Ikki had said was unmistakably true. But of course Ikki could know Kirihara's response. The principle he spoke of wasn't a notion limited to the here and now. That predictability of human thought was a firmly-rooted identity, not something that could be changed in an instant. However much the person himself wants to outsmart that identity, even the thought of outsmarting it arises from the identity itself, and therefore couldn't escape Ikki's perception. By stealing the opponent's identity, Ikki seized all those thoughts and feelings.

He analyzes a lot more than simple fighting style. Analyzing and stealing the fighting style is where the ability came from (it evolved from it), but it's not the exact same.

Firephoenixearl said:
Edel can do that, but we never use it as an argument of "can break the laws of physics". We focus more on its practical use, in other words, the fact that she can go from 0 to top speed without needing to accelerate, which while it is impossible physically, it's not some insane fuckery of the laws of physics.
Perfect Vision doesn't use fighting style, it analyzes everything from the opponent to understand their identity.

Everything about this match was packed into those details. As if perusing the history of its fencing from the sword style technique, derive the enemy's process from the order and direction. As if collecting the school's knowledge from its swordsmanship, reverse-engineer the position from the injuries and angle. As if stealing the principles of its invention from its tricks, expose the patterns of thinking from the words and the voice. And then from everything there, investigating the previous degree of piercing's tendency, the personality, technique, design, by integrating, analyzing, understanding, exhausting data on all kinds of things―grasp everything about the person called Shizuya Kirihara!

There was no reason he couldn't do it. It wasn't difficult. Because all along, since long ago, Ikki Kurogane had fought that way!

(I will always be laughing at that "it wasn't difficult"...sureeee, sure it's not difficult)

"The wounds you've put on me. Your procedure from the sequence of wounds I took. Your direction from the angles. And the distance from the power. They all tell me where you are. Tracing the Hunter's position at any particular moment is easy if I follow these markers, and if I understand that much, it's the same as being able to see you. In that case, it's fine to do what I usually do. Whether it's sword technique or people, there's a principle that fundamentally governs all their actions. You can call it a system of values. By using that―the person's actions and plans, what that person is thinking right now, how I myself should move, what countermeasures should be taken, whether to move forward or draw back, to attack or defend―every possible action is completely and quite clearly predictable. For example, at this moment, I know that you've taken three steps back."

Kirihara's body froze in fright at Ikki's light declaration, and he leaked out a soundless shriek, because what Ikki had said was unmistakably true. But of course Ikki could know Kirihara's response. The principle he spoke of wasn't a notion limited to the here and now. That predictability of human thought was a firmly-rooted identity, not something that could be changed in an instant. However much the person himself wants to outsmart that identity, even the thought of outsmarting it arises from the identity itself, and therefore couldn't escape Ikki's perception. By stealing the opponent's identity, Ikki seized all those thoughts and feelings.

He analyzes a lot more than simple fighting style. Analyzing and stealing the fighting style is where the ability came from (it evolved from it), but it's not the exact same.
So the argument for Edel is that it isn't overpowered so it's okay?

For ikki from what I understood he can only use perfect vision after several minutes against an oponent that likes to talk, so it shoudn't be avalable against people who don't talk during battle or against good liars, and even against idiots he can only use it several minutes during which it isn't available? That isn't so impresive, why is he first place?

1. Don't quote large walls of text, it overcrowds the thread.

2. The argument for Edel is that we don't use "***** with physics" as a quantifiable skill feat.

3. Ikki has used this against people way more skilled than himself. Namely Edel.

Firephoenixearl said:
1. Don't quote large walls of text, it overcrowds the thread.
2. The argument for Edel is that we don't use "***** with physics" as a quantifiable skill feat.

3. Ikki has used this against people way more skilled than himself. Namely Edel.
1. sorry.

2. So "***** with concepts" can't be used, but can the effects of it can be used as skill feat?

3. Did Edel talk during the fight, how long did it last, if he perfectly understands her does that mean he knows everything about her?

2. Depends. If ******* with concepts has something like "can perform a 360 wiith a sword" sure cus it has practical use. ******* with concepts of the like "Cut the concept of invincibility and broke through any kind of defense" or "****** with the concept of movement so that people cannot move in front of her" stops being "sword practical use and goes to plain hax.

3. Barely any talk. Less than 1 minute.

Firephoenixearl said:
2. Depends. If ******* with concepts has something like "can perform a 360 wiith a sword" sure cus it has practical use. ******* with concepts of the like "Cut the concept of invincibility and broke through any kind of defense" or "****** with the concept of movement so that people cannot move in front of her" stops being "sword practical use and goes to plain hax.
3. Barely any talk. Less than 1 minute.
Then he did it by only analysing only her fighting style which is imposible and is pure hax.

In a fight where there are countless possibilities to chose from. It's pretty much non existent for 2 people to have the exact same thought pattern, breathing techniques, footwork etc etc etc.

That's right, Ikki wasn't just fighting defensively. He wasn't that submissive of a person. There would definitely be a deeper scheme in his battles. When he was dodging Kuraudo's attacks by a narrow margin, he was actually analyzing and sealing Kuraudo's movement, action, and combination patterns, all the while disclosing the roots of the person called Kurashiki Kuraudo.

Perfect Vision.

The power of the Worst One that even caught the invisible Hunter. The power to read the actions of a beast and with that knowledge, return a perfect counter attack.

It all plays a part in understanding one's identity.

But all of that was an interaction Ikki Kurogane had foreseen. He drove her off, and all of her cross-like attacks. For Ikki who had the vision of both eyes stolen away, not a bit of agitation was in him.

How? All of that was already things he didn't need to see!

I can't see the swings, but I can see through the muscles moving her body!

Edelweiss's breath. Swordsmanship. Tempo. Footwork―

It was the peerless ability of insight, stripping bare the essence of the opponent's habits through the information he gained from the opponent while fighting.

Perfect Vision―using the asset he had besides sword technique, the Worst One saw through Edelweiss's own technique. So he didn't need vision anymore. Because even without something like vision, he could predict two or three moves ahead of his enemy!

"You're doing quite well."

Even the world's strongest revealed a voice of admiration at Ikki's sensitivity that approached the mystical mind's eye.

That doesn't look like understanding her identity, but simply predicting few moves. If he perfectly understood everything with perfect vision he should be able to predict idefinetly not only two or three. it's not that impresive.

Perfect Vision is the ability to predict what the opponent will do based on understanding identity. At its peak goes over 100 moves ahead with perfect timing, but it differs from every other type of analytical prediction, because it cannot be fooled under normal circumstances because every kind of action is identity. So when even mind reading can be fooled, this cannot.

While there are predictions that go further, Ikki's is the most accurate one.

And no, the stated method DOES matter. Predicting moves ahead with luck or muscle movement, is not even remotely close to predicting it by understanding identity for the reasons that were stated.

The real cal howard said:
The amount of NLF in that post...damn...
Something something, Rakudai is written terribly.

Something something, actually read the verse and see that's not the case.

Something something, I have and I only dislike it more

Ionliosite said:
Y'know what? **** it. I'm starting the anime right now.

To be fair, Rakudai is a rather intellectual work with many genius and insanely subtle intricacies that plebeians will not understand. It obviously is just your fault for not having his opinions.

Well, yeah, the anime is much lighter than novel, because the anime doesn't go on really lenghty explanations as to how Ikki does his stuff.

... Issue? I'm saying the lenghty explanations are one of the things the novel has above the anime, given it gives you a lot more in-depth into what's happening.

Yah there are multiple issues (well, imo there's only one central issue and almost all other issues are extensions of it)

Still easily the best light novel series and/or magical highschool series out there so far. Despite all the terrible publicity it gets here due to overactive fanboying.

Time to read and watch both, then read Overlord to purify my soul.

I've tried reading Rakudai once but the LN was very tiring/boring for me. And really the only reason i wanted to read it was to be able to debate Ikki more so just watching the anime won't do. So yeah

That's fair. It certainly can become a bit of a slog when we aren't getting cool moments like Ittou Rasetsu and Edelweiss's introduction.

My issue with the anime is that its pacing is abysmal, and it takes a relatively unique take on the superpower school idea and turns it into as generic of a harem as it can in terms of presentation.

Yeah, getting tired reading it is a complaint I can understand. Most people aren't used to the exposition like this series uses it.

Also @Mori.

What's the appeal of Overlord? Ive heard what it's about and I tried watching and reading it but couldn't make it very far because it just didn't seem as interesting as everyone was making it out to be

Back