• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Chapter 1047: "The Sky Over The Capital" (Fan Translations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t like how much Kaido is stomping G5 Luffy.
Kaido has all the makings of a TOP Top tier and a "worlds strongest creature" title to go along with it. Makes sense to me

Also, G5 is not really an AP boost as far as I can see. It just added versatility.

Gear 4 is nearly knocked out by an amped up Thunder Bagua.

Gear 5 is getting hit by multiple amped up versions of Kaidos moves and still keeps going strong.

Honestly I'm happy that Oda isn't disrespecting Kaidos by not having G5 stomp him, but Gear 5 Luffy is taking everything Kaido is giving and keeps on chugging.

Same, I'm starting to worry that Luffy is going to lose again.

Also Oda said Luffy wouldn't beat Kaido by "punching harder", but that's exactly what Luffy does this chapter...
Coulda' been a classic Oda troll, though.
"He won't win with one big punch" but he does exactly that-

I think we shouldn't be stuck with the words "Kaido won't lose with just a bigger fist" because we've been told how to hurt Kaido with Dura neg, like Ryou and Ryou+COC. but if only the power that can inflict internal injuries does not simultaneously provide a strong hitting power Then with Kaido's Zoan body which most likely has regeneration and strong Stamina is not enough, the proof is that after all the wounds Kaido received, both external and physical wounds which made him vomit blood didn't knock him down, so in my opinion that Luffy should make something, an attack that has a huge impact beyond Kaido's Regeneration capacity of cource With Combination big Giant First + Armament + Conqueror's Haki, also don't forget that Luffy Said He want to Finish Kaido with Supreme King Kong Gun this is similiar case in my Opinion, but Luffy over did it in this chapter.

Same, I'm starting to worry that Luffy is going to lose again.

Also Oda said Luffy wouldn't beat Kaido by "punching harder", but that's exactly what Luffy does this chapter...
Not quite, there's also hax involved. I'm sure Kaido already has chip damage but given Luffy's layered durability negation I'm pretty sure Kaido is taking the L soon.

@Stefano4444 Remember that talk we had about potential Gods vs Dragons Myth referenceces in OP?
fggt3ig73yp81.jpg

I think Luffy in Sun God Mode debuting under the moonlight might be a reference to the Daughter of the Sun & the Moon, a god-like being conviced a by swordman to beat the Kulshedra, a chthonic dragon that can cause earthquakes, storms, droughts & mass murder. The whole Luffy-Kaido conflict started because of a swordman/Law's plans. The daughter of the sun & the moon is completely pale white, dressed in light which it can radiate so brightly it can burn others when she wants to. Gear 5th Luffy's clothes were bleached white & his hair is on fire. Both the Kulshedra & Kaido own their personal mountain, have serpent-like bodies, breathe fire, share insane durability(some hype them as indestructable) & have slight respect to honorable people.

Luffy is tanking atm, like what do you mean?
Luffy is in a sorry state half the time and keeps getting folded, like what do you mean?
"Strongest creature in the world" for a reason. This is the only chapter where Kaido is getting a lot of clean shots in, though. Mostly because Luffy's trying to hold him in place so Onigashima gets moved
I'm well aware of that fact, but this is the first introduction of Gear 5th.

Luffy is in a sorry state half the time and keeps getting folded, like what do you mean?
No, what do you mean? Like none of Kaido's attacks have done much to G5 Luffy, all of them have been outright negated by Luffy's blunt force resistance. Even with Hao Haki and Buso, Kaido still cannot bypass Luffy's Devil Fruit ability.

In One Piece Haki has the inherent ability to counter Devil Fruit abilities, Luffy in this form really only got light bleeding damage, even with what is arguably Kaido's strongest attack (Death Buga.) and Luffy ate it quite easily.

Luffy's previous G4 + his other gears + Buso + Hao Haki got his cheeks clapped by Kaido, G5 is fighting Kaido, laughing after Kaido's strongest attacks and still hasn't even shown a full Mastery of G5.

G5 has a lot higher scaling than his previous forms.

All that is irrelevant because he's been heavily injured (comparatively speaking to Kaido) by Kaiodo's Hassaikai.

Chapters 1045 to 1047 basically all resulting in Luffy getting pancaked and blasted away before he does anything except extremely superficial damage.

He does get hits in at this point, but it's still pretty lopsided.

Again this is irrelevant, because his previous performances aren't even what I'm talking about here.

Not saying it should have gone down like G4th Doflamingo, Gear 2nd Blueno or the Crocodile fight, but something where Luffy does more than a few scratches.

But, who knows, maybe he'll start curbstomping Kaido better.

Last edited:
I'm well aware of that fact, but this is the first introduction of Gear 5th.
Katakuri was fighting back just fine (if not narratively won) against Snakeman when it was first introduced as well-

Luffy getting pancaked and blasted away before he does anything except extremely superficial damage
Every pancake Luffy scene shows off the fact that he's passively rubberizing his surroundings, though- yes, Kaido's getting in hits, but Luffy's damn near no-selling them and seemed to be just stalling for Momo up until the end of 1047

@Stefano4444 Remember that talk we had about potential Gods vs Dragons Myth referenceces in OP?
fggt3ig73yp81.jpg

I think Luffy in Sun God Mode debuting under the moonlight might be a reference to the Daughter of the Sun & the Moon, a god-like being conviced a by swordman to beat the Kulshedra, a chthonic dragon that can cause earthquakes, storms, droughts & mass murder. The whole Luffy-Kaido conflict started because of a swordman/Law's plans. The daughter of the sun & the moon is completely pale white, dressed in light which it can radiate so brightly it can burn others when she wants to. Gear 5th Luffy's clothes were bleached white & his hair is on fire. Both the Kulshedra & Kaido own their personal mountain, have serpent-like bodies, breathe fire, share insane durability(some hype them as indestructable) & have slight respect to honorable people.
Holy shit another obscure mythology that i need to check out

I would personally love if Luffy's combined toon force and giant fist makes Kaido become flat like a pancake.
It's would be hillarious to See a Dragon Pancake, but considering what Luffy told Momo that he need to move Onigashima that wouldn't happen, One thing come out of my head is Luffy Punch Kaido down to Wano land destroying the high pillars of the Wano country, so that there are no more waterfalls. The barrier or boundary of the Wano is disappears and philosophically the Wano country can be open to the world.
Because in fact the closed information and everything about Wano is caused by access to Wano which is very difficult, so far there are only a few pirate ships that can climb the waterfall, not even infrequently they experience damage to their ship, only people who are quite skilled to be able to get past the second obstacle is the whirlpool near the beach, this is why Kaido said that wano country is a strong natural fortress.
Oh my God, I need a theory to calm down my own Hype.

After reading the official it makes me laugh how straight forward Luffy's order to Momo is, as if he's talking to Zoro with the train: "It's in the way. CUT IT." Momo gotta put up

Katakuri was fighting back just fine (if not narratively won) against Snakeman when it was first introduced as well-
Snakeman is not a new, far more powerful form.
Every pancake Luffy scene shows off the fact that he's passively rubberizing his surroundings, though- yes, Kaido's getting in hits, but Luffy's damn near no-selling them and seemed to be just stalling for Momo up until the end of 1047
For the first couple times, yes, but then absolutely not.

Snakeman is not a new, far more powerful form.
It's far faster, that's for sure. Bound man is also a "new, far more powerful form." and Doffy took it on for two whole rounds- even though it was overwhelming.
Oda never lets his antagonists get washed even by newer stronger forms- I can't recall a single time where that's been the case.

Again, Snakeman is not a new gear (whereas Bound Man was upon introduction), it's a sub-set of Gear 4th.

I outright said 'Not saying it should have gone down like G4th Doflamingo [or] Gear 2nd Blueno [...], but something where Luffy does more than a few scratches.' I'm not saying Luffy should be curbstomping him, let alone to even that extent. There's not even an instance I recall where a newly introduced Gear immediately one-shots anyone on-screen (at least in chapter/release order, not chronologically).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back