• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Chains of Argus • RP Thread

Jeanne breathed out while Sylvia and Cain seemed... weirdly comfortable, as if they were getting closer to something vaguely familiar to themselves.

The elevator soon stopped, and the walls around them became transparent, allowing them to see outside as grotesque, purple mana began slowly rising from beneath them, with Cain being the first to lean over to see what was below them as Velen looked down, beckoning Jeanne over to see it as she was clearly nervous, the young knight breathing out and moving over...
Khadgar followed while Kargath made a small snarl in disdain while Gazlowe looked uncomfortable and Wrathion a bit cautious

Sylvia and Cain looked down into the darkness below, a sense of familiarity violently erupting over them from the large pit below... Like a geyser, grotesquely dark mana slammed up from the hole, the size of the pit spanning across what seemed to be an entire continent that they had been transported to. The Earth beneath pulsated, like a violent, living mass of flesh and tissue, as the pit's depths screeched out. No life or settlement was sustained around the pit, as all that had been left was flattened centuries ago, leaving nothing but dark, pulsating soil. The very act of getting close to it without protection clearly spelled death for those without the mightiest of mysticism at their disposal, for the blood of Human, Everian, Dwarf, Orc, Vaewolf, Draconian, and Rakshashin could be seen running through the cracks in the pit's darkness. It was, without question, a hell of hells, holding a darkness only matched by the things that slept within its depths.

"This... is what we call Gehenna. The Dark God's final resting place." Valen stated, looking down at the grotesque, pulsating pit beneath their feat.

Jeanne instantly turned away from the pit, nearly falling back as her tolerance for such grotesque energy was clearly abysmal.

Sylvia and Cain looked down into the darkness below, a sense of familiarity violently erupting over them from the large pit below... Like a geyser, grotesquely dark mana slammed up from the hole, the size of the pit spanning across what seemed to be an entire continent that they had been transported to. The Earth beneath pulsated, like a violent, living mass of flesh and tissue, as the pit's depths screeched out. No life or settlement was sustained around the pit, as all that had been left was flattened centuries ago, leaving nothing but dark, pulsating soil. The very act of getting close to it without protection clearly spelled death for those without the mightiest of mysticism at their disposal, for the blood of Human, Everian, Dwarf, Orc, Vaewolf, Draconian, and Rakshashin could be seen running through the cracks in the pit's darkness. It was, without question, a hell of hells, holding a darkness only matched by the things that slept within its depths.

"This... is what we call Gehenna. The Dark God's final resting place." Valen stated, looking down at the grotesque, pulsating pit beneath their feat.

Jeanne instantly turned away from the pit, nearly falling back as her tolerance for such grotesque energy was clearly abysmal.

"Putrid... what's the activity?" Khadgar asked

"To explain to you the reason for which these armies emerge..." Velen said to Siglos before breathing out at Khadgar's question, tapping his staff on the ground.

Sylvia turned to Siglos, reaching down to him and simply pulling him onto his feet by his shirt color, confused as to why he had collapsed.

Siglos glanced up at Sylvia for a moment, fear swimming in his eyes. He reached up, wrapping his arms around the woman as she lifted him to his feet. His legs trembling as he stared back at Velen.

"...D...do you mean..." Siglos said quietly. His trembling increased. if he couldn't lean on Slyiva for balance, it was likely he'd collapse again.

"...T-those armies...w-were connected...t-to the dark god...?"

"Indeed... We don't know how, but... The energy from Gehenna has been appearing randomly across Argus and producing those armies, and we don't truly know who or what is causing it." Velen explained as Sylvia let Siglos lean against her, using her hand to prop him up.

Jeanne got up, breathing out and shaking her head as she kept her eyes closed. "A-Alright... How have you been dealing with it...?"

"We've located a few sources of the armies. We call them 'Leylines' or 'Sources'. We're experimenting so far, seeing if destroying them can hinder the progress of the armies, but, we haven't been able to destroy a single one yet." Alice briefed, breathing out.

Siglos was panicking at this point, his breath catching in his throat. He continued to lean against Sylvia hand, internally grateful for the support.

"...The...the knights...haven't managed to destroy it..." Siglos thought, cold sweat running down his brow.

“..T-these armies. A-are they attacking towns…l-like the one we visited?” Siglos murmured.

"Is there any way to contain it? There is no weapon or spell that can cut the connection of all this" Noah asked
"Well, if not even my spells can contain them permanently, I don't think raw strength is what we're looking for! There is surely a way to contain or destroy the sources, but, we need people willing to go in to actually find them, people strong enough at that." Velen said, stroking his beard.

"Well, if not even my spells can contain them permanently, I don't think raw strength is what we're looking for! There is surely a way to contain or destroy the sources, but, we need people willing to go in to actually find them, people strong enough at that." Velen said, stroking his beard.
"...and we aren't the people yet." Khadgar said, his voice almost quiet

"Dark magic..." She said somewhat silently. "Light magic exists, right?" She exclaimed looking back at Jeanne. "Light eliminates and contains darkness, does this counteraction exist within Magic as well?"

Khadgar got no answer from Velen but a silent nod, with Cain seeming particularly upset at her strength not being "enough", her teeth grinding...

"Light Magic is effective for combating the dark, but, that depends on potency. Not many Mages in the world possess Light Magic with such power, Ms. Saffi, and had it been an option it would've long since been tried." Alice explained, "The Sun Goddess' blessings can only do so much for our knight's..."

"Perhaps you simply hadn't had enough...with all due respect, magic grows correct? I mean...it gets stronger. Population increases exponentially with more and more people being able to harness such abilities, and schools expanding knowledge of magic beyond what was thought possible in older years...Velen couldn't contain them, but with all respect, he made it sound like he acted on his own. I know I'm rather ambitious, but it's never killed someone to think...if we could travel the lands, find every user of magic we could find...perhaps..."

"With all due respect, Ms. Saffi, I am very, very, very old, and I am very, very powerful. Perhaps one of the world's greatest, pardon my arrogance... Individually, if I could not do it, I don't think any normal-sized force that can be gathered in a reasonable timeframe can." Velen said, "Which is why need more than just Light Magic, but we need strength on all fronts, from most, if not all races. We need a force capable of chaining down the darkness that plagues Argus beyond simple mysticism..."

"And... can such a force be gathered...?" Jeanne asked, gripping her flag. "If so..."

"Well... That depends on the progression of the events to come." Velen said, "We've made attempts to gather allies... But most are not courageous enough to join our cause. We always grant the choice to leave or to reject our offers, which is most likely why we have not yet gathered many people, but, we shan't deprive them of choice."

Siglos said nothing for a few moments, his eyes nearly glazing over. He couldn't return to his normal life, being a merchant would be too risky for him with those...things on the road. Slowly, he moved away from Slyvia, going against the corner of the elevator. His body trembled as he pressed himself against it, slowly sinking to a sitting postion.

"...D-do you need...weapons...?" Siglos murmured. His voice was almost a whisper as he stared up at Velen.

Last edited:
"Siglos... You have the choice to refuse this. It is all up to you. You can leave this behind, and live a life outside of it. I can make arrangements for just that, Siglos... Your parents won't find you, nor will the darkness. Not with my power backing you." Velen said, "The choice is all yours, my boy..."

"Siglos... You have the choice to refuse this. It is all up to you. You can leave this behind, and live a life outside of it. I can make arrangements for just that, Siglos... Your parents won't find you, nor will the darkness. Not with my power backing you." Velen said, "The choice is all yours, my boy..."
Siglos froze, his eyes widening. Slowly he pushed himself to a stand position, the fabric of his cloak clenched in his fingers as he hugged himself tightly.

"...Y-you...you can...you can guarantee....that...?" Siglos said quietly.

"...T-they...they'll never...they'll never find me...?"

Before Velen would answer Noah, he nodded at Siglos.

"I can, Siglos. If anything, your parents have a religious obligation to obey my will should they attempt to harm you, given I spread and currently lead a doctrine that any sensible Everian noble at least follows to an extent. If you were taught Ophelius' prayers then your parents most likely somewhat follow the teachings as well." Velen said.

"....." Siglos stared at Velen for a moment, taking light, shallow breaths. His body continued to tremble, a rush of emotions overtaking him.

"...Never again..." He thought. he'd never have to see them again, never have to worry, never have to go to sleep fearing he'd wake up back in that godforsaken household. He'd be...truly free from them...

Siglos said nothing for a moment, before finally responding.

"...W-why? W-why...w-would you do something like that...I-if I refused...?" Siglos asked quietly.

"....." Siglos stared at Velen for a moment, taking light, shallow breaths. His body continued to tremble, a rush of emotions overtaking him.

"...Never again..." He thought. he'd never have to see them again, never have to worry, never have to go to sleep fearing he'd wake up back in that godforsaken household. He'd be...truly free from them...

Siglos said nothing for a moment, before finally responding.

"...W-why? W-why...w-would you do something like that...I-if I refused...?" Siglos asked quietly.
"Well, what reason do I not have to do a good deed, especially for someone who saved so many lives in the previous battle? Your achievements are more than enough to solidify you as a hero, Siglos. You deserve at least that much for preserving the peace of so many innocents with your inventions and enchantments." Velen said.

"Well, what reason do I not have to do a good deed, especially for someone who saved so many lives in the previous battle? Your achievements are more than enough to solidify you as a hero, Siglos. You deserve at least that much for preserving the peace of so many innocents with your inventions and enchantments." Velen said.
Siglos continued to stare at the man for a moment. Slowly, he stepped forward, bending one knee as he bowed in front of the man. The trembling in his body slowly died down, Siglos feeling as if a weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

"...Y-you..."

"...Y-you are truly...b-benevolent...Archbishop..." Siglos said quietly.

"Well... These armies would continue to emerge. Possibly even stronger as time goes on. Perhaps even new things we don't yet know about could emerge from the leylines. Currently, we don't know much to begin with." Velen explained.

Back