• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Chapter 1003: "Night on the board" (Official Release)

As a DC fan I cannot decide whetehr to be happy or sad about that. . . .
krabs_rag3do.jpg

Basically Oda made a Madara out of Kaido, meaning he acknowledged he made him too strong in an interview years ago. He then goes and creates for us Oden, a new character outside of Marines or Pirates and thus someone who could and proved to be stronger.

Despite all this legwork Oda did Zoro stans takeaway is that Oden is just some high tier stepping stone for their favorite character to reach other characters weaker than Oden or Kaido. That both powerhouses are weak rather than both that strong. Below top tier instead of equal or above.
That's mostly headcanon on your part tho. I mean Oden is probably characterized more by his failures than his successes - he failed to beat Kaido, was completely blown away by Roger, failed to open up Wano and was unable to forge Enma into a black blade. No doubt he was strong but at the end of the day Zoro, Luffy and the others are going to succeed where he failed, simply because that is how the story is structured and they should get credit for that when it happens

As a DC fan I cannot decide whether to be happy or sad about that. . . .
As a big fan of what Marvel and DC used to be, I am very happy that a brilliantly imaginative, entertaining, and ambitious comicbook like One Piece, with a core philosophy of genuine heroism and fighting against all forms of tyranny, is completely outselling the extremely slanted, dishonest, and manipulative propagandistic enormous awfulness that Marvel and DC have currently developed into.

Last edited:
As a big fan of what Marvel and DC used to be, I am very happy that a brilliantly imaginative, entertaining, and ambitious comicbook like One Piece, with a core philosphy of genuine heroism and fighting against all forms of tyranny, is completely outselling the extremely slanted, dishonest, and manipulative propagandistic enormous awfulness that Marvel and DC have currently developed into.
I mean the only reason Superman is still ahead is because it had like, a 60 year headstart over One Piece. It might even be eclipsed by the time One Piece winds down

I definitely think it would be awesome if OP outsold Supes.

As for Mihawk vs Oden personally I believe Oden would win (I dont have any proof lol just how I feel).

Proving me right.
Not really because that's just how Oden was written. A larger than life personality who is ultimately fated to be a tragic hero and fail in the most significant objectives of his life, but at the same time sow the seeds for his objectives eventually being met. He is somewhat similar to Jiraiya from Naruto in that respect (and Brom from the Inheritance cycle, if you've heard of it) and I am a huge fan of these kinds of characters.

As a big fan of what Marvel and DC used to be, I am very happy that a brilliantly imaginative, entertaining, and ambitious comicbook like One Piece, with a core philosophy of genuine heroism and fighting against all forms of tyranny, is completely outselling the extremely slanted, dishonest, and manipulative propagandistic enormous awfulness that Marvel and DC have currently developed into.
One Piece genuinely deserves everything good that comes its way. Oda has genuinely poured his heart and soul into this brilliant piece of fiction for over 20 years nonstop, and the consistent hard work and quality has definitely showed.
He's truly inspiring, and proves that consistency and hard work does pay off.
One Piece is one of my favorite pieces of media, and I honestly can't blame anyone for claiming it's the GOAT.

Also, another fantastic chapter this week. I can't possibly get more hyped, but I'm sure I'll be eating my words next week.

Also I think these past few chapters should be sufficient proof of what I always thought to be the case. The Yonko are not Gods. Yes, they are at the very top of the world's power totem pole, but they're not untouchable as we've seen with the 5 Supernova (who I assume most would lump at "commander level" more or less).

And yes, I am aware that Kaido and BM are likely holding back a bit, but clearly not enough to where the gap is as unfathomably large as some people believe.
That is my take at least.

In OP I dont think anyone is truly invincible or “gods” like there are god tiers but even them they could be fought and damaged as thats simply how Oda has built the story.

Characters like Primebeard, Roger, Kaido and Garp are all obviously god tiers that beat a vast majority of other characters but that isnt to say they cant be fought or harmed its just to actually fully defeat them is extremely hard.

Oda obviously values characters and character moments over power scaling so he makes “sacrifices” in that area at times to give us great moments.

In OP I dont think anyone is truly invincible or “gods” like there are god tiers but even them they could be fought and damaged as thats simply how Oda has built the story.

Characters like Primebeard, Roger, Kaido and Garp are all obviously god tiers that beat a vast majority of other characters but that isnt to say they cant be fought or harmed its just to actually fully defeat them is extremely hard.

Oda obviously values characters and character moments over power scaling so he makes “sacrifices” in that area at times to give us great moments.
I agree with everything you said, but I feel like "Top tier" fits your description better imo.
The way I always understood it, is that God tiers are so impossibly above the rest of the cast that they're just in a tier of their own.
The characters you mentioned are obviously far, far, above most of the cast, but I feel like they're NOT so unfathomably superior to the tier below to award them "God tier" status.

I know I'm harping on semantics lol, but I genuinely feel that the term "God tier" places some seriously big expectations on the associated character, which automatically leads to disappointment when that character performs at any level below what's expected.
This is how I rationalize so many people being underwhelmed or outright disappointed with Kaido's, and more specifically, Big Mom's portrayal even though the story technically never placed such unrealistic standards on them.

I hope my rambling makes sense XD

No thats a fair assessment, the thing with One Piece is that there is alot of equalisers.

While I believe Mama and Kaido are legitimately holding back they obviously arnt so superior to the Nova’s that they cant do anything, now atm I dont think the Nova’s can win without something happening but winning and being able to fight/harm someone is two different things.

I know I'm harping on semantics lol, but I genuinely feel that the term "God tier" places some seriously big expectations on the associated character, which automatically leads to disappointment when that character performs at any level below what's expected.
This is how I rationalize so many people being underwhelmed or outright disappointed with Kaido's, and more specifically, Big Mom's portrayal even though the story technically never placed such unrealistic standards on them.
I think that is actually smart storytelling. Don't forget that overhyping Madara to such Godly heights was a serious problem Kishimoto never really solved ... And now every Tom, Dick and Harry in Boruto is Moon level

No thats a fair assessment, the thing with One Piece is that there is alot of equalisers.

While I believe Mama and Kaido are legitimately holding back they obviously arnt so superior to the Nova’s that they cant do anything, now atm I dont think the Nova’s can win without something happening but winning and being able to fight/harm someone is two different things.
I fully agree with you once again.

That is actually smart storytelling. Don't forget that overhyping Madara to such Godly heights was a serious problem Kishimoto never really solved ... And now every Tom, Dick and Harry in Boruto is Moon level
Absolutely true.

Madara should have been the final villain
Nah, wdym? Ofc the contrived alien lady literally pulled out of Madara's @$$ is a more compelling final antagonist than the guy who got built up for literally hundreds of chapters, and once he actually got introduced ended being one of the most popular and compelling characters in the series, of course she's better........OF COURSE.

images

Guess u havent checked the Enel profile in a while lmao
Speaking of Enel and his ability, in one of the recent guidebooks/SBS/volume companions or something, Oda wrote about what if scenarios. One of them had Boa Hancock having the Goro Goro no mi (Enel's fruit) with which she becomes one of the strongest characters till she meets Luffy and falls for him because her power is ineffective on him

While I believe Mama and Kaido are legitimately holding back they obviously arnt so superior to the Nova’s that they cant do anything
Well, the Novas aren't holding back (with one exception) and even then they aren't doing any major damage against a Kaido who is just playing with them, doesn't that pretty much mean they can't do anything? If Kaido was serious from the start wouldn't one or two be already out of battle?

Speaking of Enel and his ability, in one of the recent guidebooks/SBS/volume companions or something, Oda wrote about what if scenarios. One of them had Boa Hancock having the Goro Goro no mi (Enel's fruit) with which she becomes one of the strongest characters till she meets Luffy and falls for him because her power is ineffective on him
In a recent QA Oda said Nami with Enel's fruit is second only to Luffy too

Well, the Novas aren't holding back (with one exception) and even then they aren't doing any major damage against a Kaido who is just playing with them, doesn't that pretty much mean they can't do anything? If Kaido was serious from the start wouldn't one or two be already out of battle?
My point is that they can at least damage him I guess, plus characters flaws and CIS are part of battles and cant be ignored.

At this point Kaido just flying around taking attacks not fighting very seriously is in character and that is part of the battle.

Preach, Ant!

Superman, you're next!

Back