• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Death Battle Season Seven Discussion Thread (4) (Death Battle Spoilers Alert)

That's pre-crisis hal. Post-crisis hal gets shit on. Aren't they literally the same character though? There's evidence suggesting Hal wasn't affected by the Crisis
Word of warning: VSBW is very strict (read: downplaying as all hell) when it comes to comics, lol

Pretty much

That's pre-crisis hal. Post-crisis hal gets shit on. Aren't they literally the same character though? There's evidence suggesting Hal wasn't affected by the Crisis
Word of warning: VSBW is very strict (read: downplaying as all hell) when it comes to comics, lol

Pretty much

Calling memories of Black Widow vs Widowmaker and Black Canary vs Sindel - how verdicts would have been totally different if people strictly follow "our" profiles.

Pretty much

Calling memories of Black Widow vs Widowmaker and Black Canary vs Sindel - how verdicts would have been totally different if people strictly follow "our" profiles.

Overwatch barely has any worthwhile feats for most of the cast while black widow had many for years of tangoing with characters liken daredevil,punisher etc Sindel like most characters barring the big dawgs in MK lacks and notable Feats while Black Canary has feats Of harming herald tiers fighters with her scream

ZephyrosOmega said:
isn't overwatch 9-A as well? Natasha blitzes at least
Speed matters not if the target cannot be harmed to the slightest.

1. Jotaro Kujo cannot hurt Kenshiro.

2. Gray blitzes Esdeath as well. The likes of ice demon slayer magic also resists cold-based time stop and amps + absorbs ice AP far higher than base.

Jasonsith said:
ZephyrosOmega said:
isn't overwatch 9-A as well? Natasha blitzes at least
Speed matters not if the target cannot be harmed to the slightest.
1. Jotaro Kujo cannot hurt Kenshiro.

2. Gray blitzes Esdeath as well. The likes of ice demon slayer magic also resists cold-based time stop and amps + absorbs ice AP far higher than base.
Dude, Natasha is in the same tier and has High 8-C weapons.

1. I agree

2. and Gray should have been able to beat Esdeath because of it.

Phantom Falcon said:
That's pre-crisis hal. Post-crisis hal gets shit on.
Aren't they literally the same character though? There's evidence suggesting Hal wasn't affected by the Crisis
No they're not. Hal Jordan was affected by the COIE like almost every other character... they literally went through the trouble of making a 2 part origin story mini-series with Emerald Dawn for his Post-Crisis incarnation

Because I know someone's going to ask. They don't think the GL were affected by the COIE because Kilowog referenced the events of COIE at the beginning of the Green Lantern Corps series. But that was still in the stages of the aftermath, everyone still had their pre-crisis memories and were living on the same Earth. The actual continuity reset didn't happen until a few months after that in All-Star Squadron #60 https://2.bp.blogspot.com/gg2sOykqH...W2jtZCpNAeTKFak1woCXmXmsmrO6D9LMu7BhxnYpdA=s0 https://2.bp.blogspot.com/LyeZcdk02...2nKYHHAgaC9Wg6EG88Yd8U5pPHodGRSIxEX-oFFaJW=s0 https://2.bp.blogspot.com/mgUigw_J3...3QAZAUa8AmueS3YoNBCi8Tys1xZUiYZcMSKLQ5qoPV=s0 https://2.bp.blogspot.com/PH-3H55v_...I0xXUx-6xMX51gT_O7gImaQx46sypvHIepHqDrmkKR=s0

A few problems with that though. There are still several stories post-crisis which reference pre-crisis GL stories. I recall a moment where Hal is taken back to his first mission, and it's Showcase #23. That alone isn't enough evidence, but for GL specifically, it's still explicitly made clear that they weren't affected by the reboot. Green Lantern issue just continue as normal with no interruption in-story, it's purely linear, and the entire first 20 or so issues of Green Lantern Corps are dealing with effects of the crisis. For example, Green Lantern Corps Issue 214 was released a full year after All-Star Squadron #60, and it's shown several times there, very clearly, that GLs retain their memories of their pre-crisis selves. It's even noted in an earlier issue that GLs were immune to the effects as their rings protected them from the waves and getting erased from existence. In ASQ #60, the reason they get rebooted is because Mechanique is "holding back" the wave and it's effects, so even then, GLs are shown to be unaffected.

Saying that because Hal's origin got retconned he's a different character is like saying that Superman became a different character after Superman: Birthright lol. Not every retcon is a full-on reboot.

Also, Kilowog's thing involves saving his people from the Crisis as well. Quoting from Kilowog's page on the Fandom DC Wiki:

"During the Crisis on Infinite Earths, Bolovax Vik was destroyed. His ring automatically protected Kilowog, but not his people. Acting quickly, he placed all sixteen billion life energies into his ring. By sheer force of his will, they survived until Kilowog found a suitable planet to release his people. Sadly, the planet was soon destroyed by Sinestro. [1] Kilowog could not rescue them again. He was now alone and lonely for good."

Unless the context of the actual comic makes this completely different (I'm not sure which issue it is), this is what it looks like:

Not only did Kilowog's ring save him from the Crisis, it also kept sixteen billion people from being affected by a multiversal reality overhaul.

Kingo the Sixth said:
A few problems with that though. There are still several stories post-crisis which reference pre-crisis GL stories. I recall a moment where Hal is taken back to his first mission, and it's Showcase #23. That alone isn't enough evidence, but for GL specifically, it's still explicitly made clear that they weren't affected by the reboot. Green Lantern issue just continue as normal with no interruption in-story, it's purely linear, and the entire first 20 or so issues of Green Lantern Corps are dealing with effects of the crisis. For example, Green Lantern Corps Issue 214 was released a full year after All-Star Squadron #60, and it's shown several times there, very clearly, that GLs retain their memories of their pre-crisis selves. It's even noted in an earlier issue that GLs were immune to the effects as their rings protected them from the waves and getting erased from existence. In ASQ #60, the reason they get rebooted is because Mechanique is "holding back" the wave and it's effects, so even then, GLs are shown to be unaffected.
Saying that because Hal's origin got retconned he's a different character is like saying that Superman became a different character after Superman: Birthright lol. Not every retcon is a full-on reboot.
I think you're misunderstanding something... The Post-Crisis timeline is apocryphal meaning they reference storylines that happened originally in the SIlver Age but also in the current timeline in flashbacks. They did the same thing during Identity Crisis #3 when they talked about the exposure of superhero identities and New 52 GL stories where Geoff Johns had lanterns reference pre-flashpoint events but still be introduced to the Justice League for the first time.

Also I literally addressed the rings protecting them from the COIE event itself but not the continuity reset which like I said happened afterwards....

Sorvoe551 said:
Also, Kilowog's thing involves saving his people from the Crisis as well. Quoting from Kilowog's page on the Fandom DC Wiki:
"During the Crisis on Infinite Earths, Bolovax Vik was destroyed. His ring automatically protected Kilowog, but not his people. Acting quickly, he placed all sixteen billion life energies into his ring. By sheer force of his will, they survived until Kilowog found a suitable planet to release his people. Sadly, the planet was soon destroyed by Sinestro. [1] Kilowog could not rescue them again. He was now alone and lonely for good."

Unless the context of the actual comic makes this completely different (I'm not sure which issue it is), this is what it looks like:

Not only did Kilowog's ring save him from the Crisis, it also kept sixteen billion people from being affected by a multiversal reality overhaul.
say it with me now THE ƒæÅ RESET ƒæÅ HADN'T ƒæÅ HAPPENED ƒæÅ YETƒæÅ It protected him from the event itself (the merging into one Universe/Earth) but the actual timeline retcon was held off until All-Star Squadron 60 by mekanique this was stated explicitly -_-

Tipper17 said:
Yeah that doesn't doesn't negate pre crisis Hal and post crisis from being the same character
Except it 100% does...

say it with me now THE ƒæÅ RESET ƒæÅ HADN'T ƒæÅ HAPPENED ƒæÅ YETƒæÅ It protected him from the event itself (the merging into one Universe/Earth) but the actual timeline retcon was held off until All-Star Squadron 60 by mekanique this was stated explicitly -_-

Tipper17 said:
Yeah that doesn't doesn't negate pre crisis Hal and post crisis from being the same character
Except it 100% does...

Except it doesn'

Except it doesn'
I can understand you having trouble with this, having little to no reading comprehension but from someone who actually knows what he's talking about, it does.

Look you can save the smart ass Bs For someone who cares and as I said it doesn't change shit

Which sadly shows this sites incompetence
Yeah, let's blame the entire site instead of the few supporters of the verse. Not everyone reads or is knowledgeable on comic verses.

Sound like a piss poor excuse you giving me here

Piss poor excuse? Um no, it's a realistic reason to not blame the entire site. What, you expect people to just read a verse they don't care about just to revise something that they don't even know is wrong? It's common ******* sense. Blame the few people in charge of the verse, not the entire site because the entire site is not what dictated the ratings. Get off your high horse. If you're so knowlegeable how about you fix these ratings. I don't see you doing anything to change it. Oh, let me guess you don't care or you think it's pointless? Well then, I guess you're no less incompetent the the people you are accusing of being incompetent.

@DuckKing

Okay, just so it's perfectly clear, the whole thing where Kilowog survived the merger, saved his people, gave them a new home, then they got killed by Sinestro, all of that happened before the timeline retcon occurred five months after CoIE finished publishing?

The ratings of Marvel and DC are not perfect, so neither are Pokemon, or Dragon Ball, or Naruto, Bleach, OP and Digimon, there is no character or verse tiered here that perfect as there are many variables, opinions and arguments that widely conflict from time to time, some more or less than others.

Back