• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Chains of Argus • RP Thread

"And what shall we do in the mean time, Siglos?" Jeanne questioned, turning around.

"Wait? Wait to contact Velen, or wait for somebody more powerful than us to do something? How long are we going to keep doing that, Siglos? How many more people are going to have to get hurt, and DIE, before we take action!? If the royal court is to incompetent to take care of these assassins, or the leylines, or whatever... in the Goddess's name, I say we do it our damn selves."

"And what shall we do in the mean time, Siglos?" Jeanne questioned, turning around.

"Wait? Wait to contact Velen, or wait for somebody more powerful than us to do something? How long are we going to keep doing that, Siglos? How many more people are going to have to get hurt, and DIE, before we take action!? If the royal court is to incompetent to take care of these assassins, or the leylines, or whatever... in the Goddess's name, I say we do it our damn selves."
Siglos went rigid, his eyes meeting Jeanne's gaze.

"I...I...." Siglos trailed off, his eyes slowly shifting toward the ground.

"J-Jeanne....y-you...we...."

"...W-what...w-what if....what i-if y-you die J-Jeanne!" Siglos blurted out, his voice trembling audibly. His hand clinched into fist, his gaze growing hard as he stared at the floorboards below.

"W-what if...w-what i-if y-you get hurt a-again?? W-what...w-what if Sylvia...o-or...o-or Shalor? W-we...w-we...d-don't....w-we don't...n-need to f-fight...t-this battle!"

Jeanne spoke immediately, "Siglos, I am a Knight. I exist to serve the people. To help them. To protect them. To save them! Regardless of their race. You just saw an INNOCENT man lose his life! An innocent man, of your own race! Do you not feel for him? For his friends? His family? Do you have no sense of sympathy!? If we do not fight, then who is going to fight for those who need to be fought FOR!?"

Jeanne spoke immediately, "Siglos, I am a Knight. I exist to serve the people. To help them. To protect them. To save them! Regardless of their race. You just saw an INNOCENT man lose his life! An innocent man, of your own race! Do you not feel for him? For his friends? His family? Do you have no sense of sympathy!? If we do not fight, then who is going to fight for those who need to be fought FOR!?"
Siglos closed his eyes, his body trembling underneath the weight of her words.

"I DO feel f-for him, J-Jeanne. B-but what can we do!? W-what can do w-we do t-to stand up a-against the c-court!? T-to that...t-to that woman i-in the orb?!" Siglos shouted.

"The I-ice w-witch...s-she...s-she has p-powers...y-you...y-you c-can't e-even f-fathom! S-she...she c-could k-kill a-all of us in a-an INSTANT, i-if we s-step out of line! And e-even SHE h-hasn't c-caught t-them..."

Siglos closed his eyes, his body trembling underneath the weight of her words.

"I DO feel f-for him, J-Jeanne. B-but what can we do!? W-what can do w-we do t-to stand up a-against the c-court!? T-to that...t-to that woman i-in the orb?!" Siglos shouted.

"The I-ice w-witch...s-she...s-she has p-powers...y-you...y-you c-can't e-even f-fathom! S-she...she c-could k-kill a-all of us in a-an INSTANT, i-if we s-step out of line! And e-even SHE h-hasn't c-caught t-them..."
"......"

Jeanne clenched her fists, glaring at Siglos. Her eyes were a... deep golden, their shine bearing deep into the recesses of Siglos’s soul. Jeanne was not as powerful as Sylvia was, but the pressure she emanated with her gaze... seemed to surpass the giant woman's by far. She then turned around, beginning to walk off.

"If you aren't even willing to try to make a difference, when innocent people are dying, just because you're scared..."

"...Then you're even more of a pathetic ******* coward than I thought you were, Siglos. I'm done with you. Let's go, everybody."

Siglos said nothing, the young girl's words cutting into him like a knife against leather. He bit his lower lip, unable to look up at the girl as she walked away from him.

He felt like he was a little boy again...cowering in fear in the bathroom, huddled in a corner as his father closed in on him....mana emitting from his cold...wicked fingers. Weak...pathetic...small. And just like when he was a boy...

He did nothing. His heart twisted into anguish, self-loathing...despair...as he watched one of his only real friends turn her back to him. Recognizing just how pathetic he really was.

"I can't just let him stand there out in the open..." Shalor thought to himself

Shalor stopped, before his chains reached to Siglos, lightly wrapping around his wrist to pull him with or push him back into the Inn, depending on his next action, before the boy began walking again

"I can't just let him stand there out in the open..." Shalor thought to himself

Shalor stopped, before his chains reached to Siglos, lightly wrapping around his wrist to pull him with or push him back into the Inn, depending on his next action, before the boy began walking again
Slowly...Siglos turned away from the group, barely registering as the chain wrapped around his wrist. Numbly, he moved back toward his room, his eyes dull, lifeless.

Noah sighed, analyzing her possibilities, hell everything, they tried to kidnap her before, she tried to use her head instead of her instincts, now they are in danger for letting that man go free and leaving it in the hands of the court, it was time to make this more personal.

"Okay, let's end this" Noah said with a determined look.

"It's fine." Cain said, shrugging as she began walking behind Jeanne. "We're leaving anyway, so it doesn't matter anymore. I'm just ready to kill whoever's terrorizing this place."
"I can chum with you, should you need extra company..." Duine said, turning around briefly, "Figured you could use it. That lad Siglos back there is feart of dealing with this skyrocket, which means you'd be down a man."

Siglos closed the door behind him, slowly sinking against the wall. Words...conversations...shifted in his mind.

"if I had to make a bet... whatever is terrorizing Aegis, and forcing the court to make these horrible decisions... is most likely involved with it...." Alexia's words. Their telepathic, heartfelt conversation.

"......" Siglos closed his eyes, his hands clenching into fists. He knew that...knew what they were doing was more important than anything he could have tried to accomplish. More important than any breakthrough in his craft...any small victory he could earn. He saw the blacksmith, heard the sickening noise of the blade as it sliced through his flesh.

That could've been anyone. That WOULD have been anyone. His arms began to tremble, his trembling hands clenching into fists.

"....Then you're even more of a pathetic ******* coward than I thought you were...." Jeanne's words, uttered just moments prior, stung him like a brand against his pale flesh. Fear...it was always fear. Fear, that almost ruined his relationship with the only woman he'd ever loved. Fear that caused him to leech off her...suck away her happiness like the parasite Cain knew he was. Fear that ruined his relationship with one of his only real friends. Fear...that ruled every waking moment of his day...dominated every nightmare he had known.

Isn't this why he set out with the group? He thought back to his conversation with Velen, the words he had said to the man.

" ...I...I don't want to lay in bed at night...praying that your protection is enough, Archbishop. I...I don't want to live in constant fear...not when I've done that...f-for so long..."

the words echoed in his mind. hammering into his fragile psyche.

A similar phrase repeated itself...the one he had said to Alexia, just that day.

“...I may have...abandoned that life...but...I can't hide...not...not forever. I can't spend my whole life in fear.”

This wasn't what he wanted.

This wasn't what he wanted to do. This isn't what he had wanted out of his life. To sit in fear. To cry, to tremble. He hated this. He hated himself. He hated...

He hated her. That woman...Charlotte. The woman who had caused him, and everyone he cared for, so much suffering. the woman responsible for the courts resorting to such corruption.

"........."

"..................." Slowly...Siglos opened his eyes, his gaze lowering to his palm. To the Stigma decorating his flesh. Gingerly...he began to pool mana into it...conjuring an image of the Innkeeper in his mind. He concentrated deeply hoping this would work as he hoped.

"...Alexia?" He thought, hoping his thoughts would reach out to the woman.

"I cannae say if that's entirely true or not, I don't know the lad like you all do..." She said, "But I'd be happy to help you skelp that rocket."
"You speak funny." Cain said, "But not in the annoying, 'I wanna cave in your cranium' way."
"...Alexia?" He thought, hoping his thoughts would reach out to the woman.
It took a few moments for the connection to reach, but eventually, through his Stigma... He was able to telepathically contact the woman.

"...Yes, child?"

It took a few moments for the connection to reach, but eventually, through his Stigma... He was able to telepathically contact the woman.

"...Yes, child?"
Siglos took a long, shaky breath...before transmitting his message.

“...My friend has gone off...to confront the court mage. She...she wants to put a stop to what's... what’s happening...” Siglos thought

“...How can I help her...?

Noah look to Jeanne and Shalor

"Well, she was nervous when I mentioned that the bad guys were related to the assassination of the king, she even threatened me with execution, I let it go at first as an empty/joke threat, but now that I think about it, maybe finding out that we were already connecting the dots, her increasing concern that we suspected something was up, more considering that she mentioned that there was a secret group that had been opposing the authorities for some time"

"How do you think that you can help her, Siglos?"
“...I...I don't know...” Siglos thought back. He stared at the ground, idly running a finger across the Stigma.

“...I...I want to help her...help her somehow...I...I...” Siglos trailed off, closing his eyes.

“......”

“...I...I want to keep her safe...Alexia. I...I don't want to lose her. But...but I can't...I can't stand up...up against someone like her. Like...like the court...”

Noah look to Jeanne and Shalor

"Well, she was nervous when I mentioned that the bad guys were related to the assassination of the king, she even threatened me with execution, I let it go at first as an empty/joke threat, but now that I think about it, maybe finding out that we were already connecting the dots, her increasing concern that we suspected something was up, more considering that she mentioned that there was a secret group that had been opposing the authorities for some time"
"Then it's reasonable to assume that she's clearly working for the enemy as well." Jeanne said sternly, "Our question is... why? What does she have to gain from this?"
“...I...I don't know...” Siglos thought back. He stared at the ground, idly running a finger across the Stigma.

“...I...I want to help her...help her somehow...I...I...” Siglos trailed off, closing his eyes.

“......”

“...I...I want to keep her safe...Alexia. I...I don't want to lose her. But...but I can't...I can't stand up...up against someone like her. Like...like the court...”
"...You can't do it, or you won't do it, Siglos?"

"...You can't do it, or you won't do it, Siglos?"
“......” Siglos said nothing for a moment, the words settling across his mind.

“...I...I want...I want...” Siglos began.

“...I want...to go with her. I...I want...I want to...” Siglos trailed off, gathering his words.

“...I want to face them, Alexia. My heart...my heart feels like it's going to explode. I...I feel like I'm going to vomit. But...but...”

“...I can't...I can't...live like this. I can't. I don't want to. I don't want to be the victim.”

"Hm... any locations? Anything to help us pin this down?" Shalor asked, it was a foolish effort, but he had to ask anyway

(Heres where remembering this shit helps a lot, Noah discovered a location that leads underground, and shared this with the Court Mage.)
"Oh, yeah, I told the lady but apparently after a couple of kilometers the man went underground, which means that they have or had a base there"

“......” Siglos said nothing for a moment, the words settling across his mind.

“...I...I want...I want...” Siglos began.

“...I want...to go with her. I...I want...I want to...” Siglos trailed off, gathering his words.

“...I want to face them, Alexia. My heart...my heart feels like it's going to explode. I...I feel like I'm going to vomit. But...but...”

“...I can't...I can't...live like this. I can't. I don't want to. I don't want to be the victim.”
"Then don't be the victim, Siglos. They haven't gone far. You can still go to them... you can still make things right. It may seem perilous... and it is. And I won't say that just courage will be enough to get you through it. That's just wishful thinking that'll get you killed. But what you need is not blind courage... but faith, Siglos. Faith in the people who you care about. Faith in their conviction. Faith in your bond. Overwhelming faith will overpower your fear. I promise you."
"Oh, yeah, I told the lady but apparently after a couple of kilometers the man went underground, which means that they have or had a base there"
"Then we need go go underground. To the sewer system." Jeanne said, "Without telling the Court Mage, obviously..."

"Looks can be deceiving." Jeanne said, "I trust in you. And in your ability to keep things... discreet."
"...I'm a kid with zero combat experience who's rarely snuck around places, but... if you're sure in my abilities here I'll believe you." Shalor said with a nod

"Hrmmmm..." Kargath grunted before the dead silent Shattering and remaking of bones and muscle turned him to human sized, and so did his bladefist because I think that'd look absolutely stupid

"I know that you're inexperienced and a child, but I am also inexperienced and also a child, so isn't now the best time for us to learn?" Jeanne said lightheartedly.
Shalor smiled genuinely "If I stick around I doubt this will be my first mission like this, so let's do this...!" He said, now pumped, but trying to restrain himself from doing something stupid

Back