• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Chains of Argus • RP Thread

Siglos flashed her a soft smile, pleased that Alexia seemed to like his compliment.

“... It's m-my pleasure, Alexia. I would l-love to t-try...a-anything y-you can make...” He said softly.
"Alright... I'll uh... be back with your meal in a moment. It doesn't take that long to make waffles." Alexia said with a crooked smile.

"Oh well thanks Saffi, anyway, what are you going to do later? Maybe we can go outside of the inn while we wait for further instructions and all."
"Just my personal studies, but I can save those for another time." She smiled. It was clear that Jeanne didn't want to bring attention to the side-effects, thus Saffi didn't want to do so either.

"Haaaaa..."

Breath. Breathing was integral to the existence of any organic being, and Jeanne had realized this at a young age. The extreme importance of being able to breath had been drilled into her from a very young age, which is why she made it a permanent part of her training to master breathing techniques. From the very first instant she grabbed her sword to the very last instant where she sheathed it, she was always breathing in a unique way to get her blood flowing just how she wanted to.

"Haaaaaaa..."

Jeanne stood in the middle of the plaza she had initially witnessed Sylvia, Erebus, Noah, and Shalor train in. Except this time she was completely alone. No distractions... Just her, and her sword. It was morning time, so there was the occasional passerby, but she didn't care. She tuned them out of her mind... and completely focused on her task. All that existed was her, and her sword.

Jeanne drew her blade. As usual, it was in poor condition. It had been cracked, chipped, and rusted. But for her it worked just fine.

"Hooooooo... Haaaaa..."

Jeanne wasted no time. Her muscles tightened, and she took one large step, raising her arms into the air with sword in hand. With a short heave, she lowered her sword down, completing the most basic of frontal-slashes. Basics. The basics were the most important thing, really. There was no need learning anything else before you'd completely mastered all the basic skills... One of them was the basic frontal-slash that anyone could do.

Jeanne instantly pulled her arms and hips back, twisting her waist ever so slightly. Once again, she heaved forward, completing another basic slash. A horizontal-slash.

In an instant and with no lag between her shift in stances, she pulled her arms back. With one, final heave, she lunged forward, completing the final basic sword skill. A stab.

Front-slash, horizontal slash, and stab. Those were the three skills that had been pounded into each and every cell in her body since she was even younger than she was now. She didn't need to think to use them. She didn't need to feel. When she was fighting or training... The skills would simply come to her naturally, as if she was a machine that had been programmed to perform those three basic sword skills in differing combinations.

"Haaaaaa..."

Jeanne began cycling through these skills, practicing each basic skill in completely random order. Sometimes it was stab, horizontal slash, front-slash. Sometimes it was front-slash, stab, front-slash. Sometimes she'd only complete a series of consecutive front-slashes. Her muscles shifted beneath her armor with each instinctive movement, the girl continuing to identify even the most microscopic flaws in her stance, becoming ever-sharper with each step she took.

She'd been doing this since she'd stopped talking to Saffi... So, at a couple of hours. As time went on, the occasional passerby would notice Jeanne cycling through the same three sword skills, and would watch her grow ever sharper and swifter with each small movement.

"Why is she only practicing the same three skills...? And why in public? Though, I guess this is the place most Martial Artists come to train..."

"What's the point in training so hard so young?"

"That humans' got some nerve..."

"She doesn't seem to be conscious! Should we call a doctor...?"

"Oi! Oi!!! Human!"

Jeanne was addressed by several of the local citizens who had noticed her training, and had gathered around a reasonable distance away to watch her... But she didn't even seem to notice them, not a single one. She was far to immersed in her training to really care. All that mattered, in the end, was those three skills. Frontal slash, horizontal slash, and stab.

These motions brought about a cooling sense to Jeanne's body... Her muscles clenched and screamed in pain, begging for rest. Her lungs felt like they were about to explode from how fast and rough she was breathing. But... she was calm. She was content with this. She'd been doing it all of her life, after all. Training, training, and training... Because that's what a Knight was. A soldier meant to protect others in the name of the Goddess. At least, that's how she had always seen it. A Knight had to be strong... Stronger than anybody. That, to Jeanne Valentina, was a fact. A fact that had been drilled into her with the constant reminder of her weakness the longer she stayed within her party...

"I couldn't protect Noah... let alone myself... I should've gotten to her before Cain... I should've... I should've...!"

Jeanne paused her training for the first time in hours, bending her knees ever so slightly as she breathed heavily. Her sword fell to the ground as she breathed in and out with all her might, the girl clearly was exhausted.

"I think I tore a big part of my trapezius... and my deltoids... Ah..." Jeanne groaned as she slowly stood up straight, shaking her head. A torn muscle wasn't really a problem for her. Muscle manipulation was a skill that she'd gotten... "decent" at. It was good enough for her to be able to repair torn and ripped muscles relatively easy, so that was convenient, but the pain of moving her muscles around like that was still ever-present.

"Maybe I should head back to the inn... I think I've done enough training for now... And they might start worrying about me if I were to stay out for to long. Plus... I missed my time to pray on the Day of the Sun... I need to make up for that as soon as possible..." Jeanne thought to herself. A part of her wanted to keep training... to keep pushing herself. To pursue greater power... But she was not a fool, and she knew that staying out and drawing more unnecessary attention wouldn't do her or her friends any real good. Jeanne let out a sigh, picking up her rusted blade and once again sheathing it.

Jeanne blinked a few times, before turning around. Now that she was broken out of her immersion, she'd noticed the small crowd that had gathered around the plaza to watch her train. Jeanne's face immediately turned red from embarrassment. So many people were looking at her! Some with astonishment and curiosity, some with disgust and scorn... But in the end, they were all looking at her.

"E-... E-Excuse me!" Jeanne squeaked out. With a swift step, she disappeared from the crowd's eyes, immediately leaving the plaza with a bright blush on her face.

"I should train in a more solitary place next time... I operate better when I'm not being watched by anyone, anyway..." Jeanne muttered to herself. It didn't take long for her to reach the inn, slowly entering the lobby. Minor amounts of sweat and dirt trailed behind her, but that was relatively normal for an inn where people would stay, with some not being the most hygienic in the world.

"Well... It isn't my problem if people decide to clean themselves or not." She murmured.

Slowly, Jeanne would begin to undo her breastplate in the lobby, revealing the sweat-stained yellow tank-top beneath. Her collarbone was adorned with a golden necklace which had a miniature sun hanging from the delicately crafted chains, the ornament usually hidden by her thick armor. Usually, she'd take off her armor in her room, and not in a place where multiple people could see her... But, it was merely her breastplate, and it was easily understandable that any warrior would eventually want to air themselves out.
SIglos nodded, giving her a small bow.

"...T-thank you. I'll...j-just wait in the l-lobby for it..." Siglos said softly. He straightened himself, before slowly making his way to the area near the front desk.
"Alright... I'll be back in a moment." Alexia said, before moving to the kitchen.
The bright morning sun illuminated the stone walls of the Colosseum, bathing the large arena in its beautiful light. People crowded within the cramped seats circling the perimeter, looking down into the arena with a clear, almost palpable excitement. This was a big day, after all, the day of one of the most anticipated match-ups of recent memory.

The Mythical Monk vs The King Tiger. A title match that had brought people from across the local areas to watch. The sound of chatter echoed across the stands; many people betting their day's earnings on the results of the fight, while others used the opportunity to catch up with friends and relatives who had joined them to watch. Others still busied themselves eating the food they had bought, some aspiring merchants having set up food stands near the entrance.

An announcer took his spot in the center of a large, elevated stage near the edge of the arena, clad in smooth, silken robes. They fiddled with an object in their hand for a moment, before holding it above their mouth. It was a sound amplifier traded to him by an Everian merchant who had passed through the town years prior.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. Today, we have a match for the ages!" The sound blanked the area, the crowd slowly growing quiet as the event began.

"In this corner! The man of wonders! A martial artist whose technique is nothing less the SUBLIME. With genius said to be blessed by the goddess herself! With a record of 40 wins and zero losses, presenting..."

A man walked out from a doorway at the edge of the ring, his feet landing deftly on the ground below with every step. His movements were lithe, with a level of ease that seemed unnatural for any mortal man to perform. He halted in front of the ring for a moment, before lowering his head, bowing respectfully to the arena before he welcomed himself into it.

"THE MYTHICAL MONK!!!"

Law rolled his eyes, stretching his limber body. He found the title they had given him...undesirable, to say the least. He'd rather do away with those silly epithets they insisted on applying to their high-profile fighters, but it was an annoyance he had long since grown to tolerate. Unlike most fighters, he had no desire for the fame or fortune that could be earned in such a place. No, he was what one would call a "seeker": a man who fights, only to prove himself as the strongest in the land. For too long, humans have lagged behind the Rakshashin in terms of raw martial skill...and Law sought to show them just how far a human could climb.

But...those were thoughts for another time. He steadied his breathing, waiting for the arrival of his next opponent. In the distance, the announcer tapped his enchanted orb, clearing his throat.

"And in this corner! A man who took the arena by storm by single-handedly slaying the Ptolomea Tiger! With a record 15 wins and zero losses...."

In a blur of motion, a figure LEAPED over the walls of the arena, the audience craning their neck upward to watch. A mixture of surprise and amazement spread across them, watching as they soured through the air, tucking their body into a flip before landing with a loud thud in the center of the arena, their feet skidding across the sand floor.

His bronzed flesh shown brightly in the morning light, the mark of a man well used to working under the burning sun of the goddess. Muscular flesh rippled across every inch of his body. From the bulging, skin of his biceps, contracting and extending with every minor movement of his arms, to the solid, impossible thick musculature of his chest, resembling more of a wall of honed, thick armor, than a normal man's skin. His abdominals were that of sculpted stone, a thick, rippling 8-pack that displayed nearly unmatched physical conditioning; core strength that would put any normal athlete or warrior to shame. His thick, tree-trunk-like legs shared a similar level of condition, denser and more powerful than even the mightiest of stallions.

His torso was bare, free of any clothing or adornment, showing off the many, many scars he had collected from years of conflict. They stretched across his body, zigzagging across his arms and legs, decorating him in their unique pattern. Only his back remained unmarred, the thick wall of flesh unbent by blow and sword alike.

His only clothing of note, outside of a basic pair of armored shorts, was his helmet. A decorated, white-dyed piece of armor that covered much of his upper face. A long, black ponytail flowed out from an opening near the back, a custom addition he had asked for himself during its forging. The helmets cover somewhat obscured his appearance, yet it was clear he was quite youthful, likely only in his later twenties, his clear flesh unmarred by age.

He raised a calloused hand, pointing towards the sky above. He inhaled for a moment, before letting out a shout, his deep voice echoing across the walls of the ring.

"THE KING TIGER, HAS ARRIVED." The man yelled, before the announcer could finish his speech. The announcer looked...slightly annoyed by this, but continued with his speech.

"...Ahem The King Tiger, Everyone. With both fighters in the arena, the match of the year can finally begin!" The Announcer said.

Law’s lip curled into a sneer, the martial artist glaring at the boisterous muscle man as he worked the crowd.

“...Foolish...” He thought. those were the best words to describe this idiot. He had encountered many of his kind during his long martial arts journey. Boastful, arrogant, believing themselves invincible from harm or death.

And one by one...he had knocked them down. With a small sigh, he stepped his lead leg forward, before bending his knee ever so slightly, assuming his stance. A single fist was outstretched, the other arm held near his side.

King Tiger, as if on queue, glanced over at the man, seeming to notice him for the first time. He flashed me a wide smile.

“...Hope ya ready for me man. Because the KING doesn't pull his punches!” King Tiger said loudly. He lowered his center of gravity slightly, putting his arms in front of him, assuming what appeared to be a grappling stance. Thought...it was noticeably more upright than any folk wrestling style Law had seen.

“Talk is cheap...” Law muttered, rolling his eyes. He tightened his stance, his fist already coating itself in a thin layer of aura.

ARE BOTH FIGHTERS AT THE READY?” the announcer called out. The King Tiger smiled, breaking stance for a moment to give the man a thumbs up. Law simply nodded, his attention unwavering.

"THEN LET THE MATCH OF THE DAY...BEGIN!" The announcer shouted. A loud, sharp noise accompanied his declaration, the banging of a powerful instrument.

And with that....it began.

a few hours later, in the outskirts of town

A man dragged himself into the nearby forest, panting lightly as he walked amongst the trees. He continued to walk for a few, long moments...before reaching an open field. He glanced around for a moment, and ensuring he was alone...collapsed against a tree, pressing a hand against his ribs.

"...That ******* smarts..." He muttered. They were broken. One...two...three...no, at least six of them, the man being able to feel the broken remnants of their structure press against his bruised, tanned skin. With his free hand, he undid his ponytail, his black hair spilling freely across his cheeks.

"...Never fought a dude who could move like that...how the hell did he get so strong..." The man muttered to himself. He took a tired, shaky breath pressing his back against the bark of the tree. He was lucky. While he may have surpassed him in raw strength, the man had a...frightening mastery over aura, in addition to sharper techniques than he'd ever experienced before. Each hit had felt as though he was being struck by a sword, penetrating his armor-like flesh with frightening ease. It was only through luck that he had managed to break the man's foot, during their last exchange...something which had ended up giving him the victory at the last moment. He winced ever so slightly, still feeling the lingering discomfort of the man's last kick against his jaw. He suppose he should be lucky that hadn't broken, as well...he wouldn't have been able to give his victory speech if the man had fully shattered it.

Though...objectively speaking, he shouldn't have been moving at all. Even aside from his broken ribs, he had sustained enough internal injury that any sane doctor would have put him on bed rest. At least until a suitable healing potion had been prepared.

But he was never one to sit on his hands.

Slowly, he moved himself off the tree, placing his hands on the soft, grassy terrain below. Laying onto his chest, he hesitated for a single moment, before lifting his battered, injured body off the ground.

“...One...”

“...Two...”

“....Three...”
"Uh..."

"Excuse me."

As the elusive, tanned man began to lift himself up... someone approached him. He may not have noticed at first. The sound of their voice was quite hoarse and light, so, it would be difficult to hear him without actively trying to listen.

"Excuse me, sir."

It seemed to be a teenage boy... Or, well, one would assume. It was hard to tell, but, it was a boy, wearing what seemed to be a... suit, or some kind of uniform. Long, thin strands of jet black hair flowed down from his head, coating his eyes and somewhat obscuring the tanned man's view of his features. His skin was exceptionally pale, it seemed as if there wasn't even a tiny bit of warmth in his lanky body. And his eyes were...

Dark. Hollow. Empty. Almost... akin to a corpse.

"Why are your ribs broken...?"

"Uh..."

"Excuse me."

As the elusive, tanned man began to lift himself up... someone approached him. He may not have noticed at first. The sound of their voice was quite hoarse and light, so, it would be difficult to hear him without actively trying to listen.

"Excuse me, sir."

It seemed to be a teenage boy... Or, well, one would assume. It was hard to tell, but, it was a boy, wearing what seemed to be a... suit, or some kind of uniform. Long, thin strands of jet black hair flowed down from his head, coating his eyes and somewhat obscuring the tanned man's view of his features. His skin was exceptionally pale, it seemed as if there wasn't even a tiny bit of warmth in his lanky body. And his eyes were...

Dark. Hollow. Empty. Almost... akin to a corpse.

"Why are your ribs broken...?"
"....Eh?" The man muttered. He glanced up at the stranger, seemingly not having heard his approach, likely due to his concentration on his exercise. Quickly, he jumped to his feet, attempting to ignore the pain that shot through his flesh from making such a quick movement. He regarded the young man for a moment, before flashing him a wide, winsome smile. He had to keep appearances, after all. Even if the boy's appearance was a bit...off-putting.

"Ha, it's barely a scratch, kid. Just some bruises from my last match." He said. He pressed a hand against his ribs...a hopefully discreet way to hide the extent of his injuries from the boy.

"Alright... I'll be back in a moment." Alexia said, before moving to the kitchen.
Siglos nodded, flashing her a soft smile as she left. Gingerly, he took a seat at a nearby chair, glancing out the window for a moment to check if Sylvia was still outside the entrance.

"....Eh?" The man muttered. He glanced up at the stranger, seemingly not having heard his approach, likely due to his concentration on his exercise. Quickly, he jumped to his feet, attempting to ignore the pain that shot through his flesh from making such a quick movement. He regarded the young man for a moment, before flashing him a wide, winsome smile. He had to keep appearances, after all. Even if the boy's appearance was a bit...off-putting.

"Ha, it's barely a scratch, kid. Just some bruises from my last match." He said. He pressed a hand against his ribs...a hopefully discreet way to hide the extent of his injuries from the boy.
"So... you lost, then?" The boy asked.

Siglos nodded, flashing her a soft smile as she left. Gingerly, he took a seat at a nearby chair, glancing out the window for a moment to check if Sylvia was still outside the entrance.
Sylvia indeed was still there, keeping watch. Noticing that Siglos was watching her, she turned to him through the window, and gave him a wave and a smile.

"So... you lost, then?" The boy asked.
The man grimaced for a moment, quickly shaking his head.

"Whoa whoa whoa, I never said anything about losing. I beat his ass from here to Aegis. He just got a few nicks on me, that's all." The man said. He lifted his free hand, grabbing the helmet that he had placed on the ground before he started training.

"....Do you...not know who I am?" The man asked. He would have excepted that everyone in the city would have heard of his victory, so the fact it was being caused into question somewhat bothered him.

Sylvia indeed was still there, keeping watch. Noticing that Siglos was watching her, she turned to him through the window, and gave him a wave and a smile.
A soft blush appeared across his face as he watched Sylvia smile at him. Gingerly, he lowered his voice, speaking so softly that only someone with hearing as enhanced as Sylvia's could hear him.

"...I-I love you...my darling." He whispered.

The man grimaced for a moment, quickly shaking his head.

"Whoa whoa whoa, I never said anything about losing. I beat his ass from here to Aegis. He just got a few nicks on me, that's all." The man said. He lifted his free hand, grabbing the helmet that he had placed on the ground before he started training.

"....Do you...not know who I am?" The man asked. He would have excepted that everyone in the city would have heard of his victory, so the fact it was being caused into question somewhat bothered him.
"No, not really..." The boy murmured, simply glancing around.

"My teacher says that a victory is only a victory when you completely crushed your opponent... And that the true winner is the one who is most overwhelming. I never really understood it, though, so that's why I thought you lost... sorry if that offended you."

A soft blush appeared across his face as he watched Sylvia smile at him. Gingerly, he lowered his voice, speaking so softly that only someone with hearing as enhanced as Sylvia's could hear him.

"...I-I love you...my darling." He whispered.
Sylvia simply snickered from afar. With sign language, she spoke: "I love you to, my dearest one."

"No, not really..." The boy murmured, simply glancing around.

"My teacher says that a victory is only a victory when you completely crushed your opponent... And that the true winner is the one who is most overwhelming. I never really understood it, though, so that's why I thought you lost... sorry if that offended you."
David glanced at the boy for a moment, before shaking his head, a bit disappointed he hadn't been recognized.

"...If ya ask me, that's a load of shit." The man said bluntly. He placed his helmet under his arm, cracking his neck as he looked down at the boy.

"...The mark of a true warrior is being able to win, no matter how many blows strike his flesh. There's no glory to be had in beating up weaklings.".

Sylvia simply snickered from afar. With sign language, she spoke: "I love you to, my dearest one."
A soft blush spread across Siglos's face, a chuckle escaping his lips. He gave her a small wave, before his eyes drifted slightly, noticing the trail of dirt that had been tracked into the inn. He followed it with his eyes, noticing Jeanne's presence for the first time.

"...O-oh! H-hey...J-Jeanne!" Siglos said awkwardly, glancing at the discarded breastplate on the floor.

David glanced at the boy for a moment, before shaking his head, a bit disappointed he hadn't been recognized.

"...If ya ask me, that's a load of shit." The man said bluntly. He placed his helmet under his arm, cracking his neck as he looked down at the boy.

"...The mark of a true warrior is being able to win, no matter how many blows strike his flesh. There's no glory to be had in beating up weaklings.".
"...So are you a true warrior?" The boy asked nonchalantly, tilting his head.

A soft blush spread across Siglos's face, a chuckle escaping his lips. He gave her a small wave, before his eyes drifted slightly, noticing the trail of dirt that had been tracked into the inn. He followed it with his eyes, noticing Jeanne's presence for the first time.

"...O-oh! H-hey...J-Jeanne!" Siglos said awkwardly, glancing at the discarded breastplate on the floor.
"Hi there, Siglos..." Jeanne said, moving her hair back a bit as she turned around to look at Siglos. She flashed him a small smile, though her breathing was quite labored. "How is your day going...?"

"...So are you a true warrior?" The boy asked nonchalantly, tilting his head.
"......" The man glanced at the boy for a moment, a bit unnerved by his nonchalant responses. He inwardly debated whether he should play himself up, or simply give the boy an honest answer.

"......."

"...You ever heard of...Leoric, the Bandit Slayer? It's an...old human legend." The man asked.

"Hi there, Siglos..." Jeanne said, moving her hair back a bit as she turned around to look at Siglos. She flashed him a small smile, though her breathing was quite labored. "How is your day going...?"
Siglos hesitated for a moment, before flashing her a shaky smile.

"...I...I-I'm d-doing alright. I j-just...woke u-up from a nap..." He said distractedly. Sylvia's words from last night wormed themselves into his mind. The foul magic that was afflicting Jeanne...and how it could kill her. He grew increasingly uncomfortable, squirming ever so slightly where he sat.

"...H-how are y-you...f-feeling?"

"...." The man glanced at the boy for a moment, a bit unnerved by his nonchalant responses. He inwardly debated whether he should play himself up, or simply give the boy an honest answer.

"......."

"...You ever heard of...Leoric, the Bandit Slayer? It's an...old human legend." The man asked.
"Licorice the Bandit Slayer...??" The boy said, confusion lacing his tone. Clearly he was not aware of the legend.

Siglos hesitated for a moment, before flashing her a shaky smile.

"...I...I-I'm d-doing alright. I j-just...woke u-up from a nap..." He said distractedly. Sylvia's words from last night wormed themselves into his mind. The foul magic that was afflicting Jeanne...and how it could kill her. He grew increasingly uncomfortable, squirming ever so slightly where he sat.

"...H-how are y-you...f-feeling?"
"Well, pretty bad... I just finished a long session of training, so my everything kind of hurts right now..." Jeanne said jokingly.

"Licorice the Bandit Slayer...??" The boy said, confusion lacing his tone. Clearly he was not aware of the legend.
“...Leoric. His name was Leoric...” The man grumbled.

“...The legend is about man, who lived in a village under the control of some mercenary group. They would tax the villagers heavily, under the threat of slaughtering them, should they fail to make payment. It was a large gang, some say upward of 100 men...”

“...One day, a man named Leoric...took up arms against them. He had been...training for that day...for a year he had forged his sword and practiced with it, day in and day out. Just for the slim chance, that maybe...just maybe he could take his village back.”

“To cut a long story short, he singlehandedly challenged the entire group of mercenaries. Just one man, and his sword. And...after days of fighting...he managed to drive them back. But...it cost him his life.”

“...They say that Leoric...was stabbed by knives, Impaled by arrows, slashed by blades and bludgeoned by clubs...and yet...he never stopped. Never faltered, never lost sight of his mission until every single one of those bastard were either dead at his feet or running for the hills.”

“...That...is a true warrior. A hero of legend. There ain't many people around who can claim the same title as that man did.” He finished.

"Well, pretty bad... I just finished a long session of training, so my everything kind of hurts right now..." Jeanne said jokingly.
Siglos breathed out, some of the tension leaving his body. She was fine...or at least, she was acting fine.

"...P-please don't overtax yourself, J-Jeanne....d-do you n-need s-some ice?" Siglos offered.

“...Leoric. His name was Leoric...” The man grumbled.

“...The legend is about man, who lived in a village under the control of some mercenary group. They would tax the villagers heavily, under the threat of slaughtering them, should they fail to make payment. It was a large gang, some say upward of 100 men...”

“...One day, a man named Leoric...took up arms against them. He had been...training for that day...for a year he had forged his sword and practiced with it, day in and day out. Just for the slim chance, that maybe...just maybe he could take his village back.”

“To cut a long story short, he singlehandedly challenged the entire group of mercenaries. Just one man, and his sword. And...after days of fighting...he managed to drive them back. But...it cost him his life.”

“...They say that Leoric...was stabbed by knives, Impaled by arrows, slashed by blades and bludgeoned by clubs...and yet...he never stopped. Never faltered, never lost sight of his mission until every single one of those bastard were either dead at his feet or running for the hills.”

“...That...is a true warrior. A hero of legend. There ain't many people around who can claim the same title as that man did.” He finished.
"...That's kinda dumb." The boy said, "Why didn't he just run away...? At least that way he could've escaped the village and lived to maybe get some help... Instead, he just sacrificed his own life..."
Siglos breathed out, some of the tension leaving his body. She was fine...or at least, she was acting fine.

"...P-please don't overtax yourself, J-Jeanne....d-do you n-need s-some ice?" Siglos offered.
"No No, I'm fine, Siglos. I think I just need a nice bath and a bit of rest, hehe..." Jeanne said with an awkward chuckle, scratching the back of her neck.

"...That's kinda dumb." The boy said, "Why didn't he just run away...? At least that way he could've escaped the village and lived to maybe get some help... Instead, he just sacrificed his own life..."
The man glared at the boy for a moment, the comment seeming to somewhat strike a nerve. He shook his head, moving his hand from his ribs to smooth back his hair.

"...That ain't the point, kid. The story is about bravery, about men overcoming their limits when faced with impossible odds. Ain't that like...inspiring to ya?" He asked.

"No No, I'm fine, Siglos. I think I just need a nice bath and a bit of rest, hehe..." Jeanne said with an awkward chuckle, scratching the back of her neck.
Siglos breathed out, letting out his own shaky, awkward chuckle.

"...F-forgive me. I j-just...worry a-about you, s-sometimes. I...w-would h-hate f-for you t-to injure yourself." Siglos said softly.

The man glared at the boy for a moment, the comment seeming to somewhat strike a nerve. He shook his head, moving his hand from his ribs to smooth back his hair.

"...That ain't the point, kid. The story is about bravery, about men overcoming their limits when faced with impossible odds. Ain't that like...inspiring to ya?" He asked.
"...I think the man's family would've liked it more if he didn't get himself killed." The boy murmured, "I think everyone close to him would've probably liked it more if he lived to see another day instead of sacrificing himself..."

Siglos breathed out, letting out his own shaky, awkward chuckle.

"...F-forgive me. I j-just...worry a-about you, s-sometimes. I...w-would h-hate f-for you t-to injure yourself." Siglos said softly.
"I'm... not new to injuring myself, Siglos. 'Tis the path a Knight must take." Jeanne said, breathing out as she slowly leaned down to pick up her breastplate.

"...I think the man's family would've liked it more if he didn't get himself killed." The boy murmured, "I think everyone close to him would've probably liked it more if he lived to see another day instead of sacrificing himself..."
"....." The man regarded the boy for a moment, leaning his back against the tree.

"...At the end of the day...a man has the choose what he thinks is best. For his family...and for his people. Leoric thought they would be happier if they weren't under the tyranny of mercenaries, even if it meant living without him."

"...There's honor in that. I'm sure his family understood his decision, even if they mourned his passing."

"I'm... not new to injuring myself, Siglos. 'Tis the path a Knight must take." Jeanne said, breathing out as she slowly leaned down to pick up her breastplate.
"....A-at...a-at least c-come to m-me or S-Saffi t-then. Please. W-we c-can...m-make sure y-you get the...c-care you need." Siglos said softly. His ears twitched, worry flashing across the young Everian's pale face.

"....." The man regarded the boy for a moment, leaning his back against the tree.

"...At the end of the day...a man has the choose what he thinks is best. For his family...and for his people. Leoric thought they would be happier if they weren't under the tyranny of mercenaries, even if it meant living without him."

"...There's honor in that. I'm sure his family understood his decision, even if they mourned his passing."
(GoW level dialogue and I'm here for it.)

"I don't really understand what you mean..." The boy murmured, looking up at the man the tiniest bit.

"If you were in his position... would you do the same thing he did...?"
"....A-at...a-at least c-come to m-me or S-Saffi t-then. Please. W-we c-can...m-make sure y-you get the...c-care you need." Siglos said softly. His ears twitched, worry flashing across the young Everian's pale face.
"Siglos, really, I'm alright... What's gotten into you?" Jeanne asked, tilting her head.

"I don't really understand what you mean..." The boy murmured, looking up at the man the tiniest bit.

"If you were in his position... would you do the same thing he did...?"
The Man said nothing, his muscular flesh growing visibly more rigid. For a long moment, he stood there, simply staring down at the boy.

"......"

"...I want to become a man who can make a decision like that. To do what's needed if the time ever comes." The man said quietly. He lifted his helmet from underneath his arm, slowly beginning to place it atop his head. Quickly, He forced a cocky grin on his face, raising an arm to flex his left bicep.

"...So the King Tiger can become a name that will go down in history!"

"Siglos, really, I'm alright... What's gotten into you?" Jeanne asked, tilting her head.
"...I-it's nothing...m-my friend. I-i'm j-just...." Siglos trailed off, his ears twitching.

"...W-worried, a-about your..c-condition."

The Man said nothing, his muscular flesh growing visibly more rigid. For a long moment, he stood there, simply staring down at the boy.

"......"

"...I want to become a man who can make a decision like that. To do what's needed if the time ever comes." The man said quietly. He lifted his helmet from underneath his arm, slowly beginning to place it atop his head. Quickly, He forced a cocky grin on his face, raising an arm to flex his left bicep.

"...So the King Tiger can become a name that will go down in history!"
"......."

"I still don't really get the point of all of that stuff... honor... glory... legacy... Never really figured it'd matter if you're dead..." The boy said softly, once again looking down.

"....."

"Do you think if I became a hero..."

"...."

"People would remember me after I die... like they do Licorice...?"

"...I-it's nothing...m-my friend. I-i'm j-just...." Siglos trailed off, his ears twitching.

"...W-worried, a-about your..c-condition."
"Oh......." Jeanne froze for a moment, before chuckling awkwardly. "Don't... worry about that, Siglos. I'm dealing with that."

"......."

"I still don't really get the point of all of that stuff... honor... glory... legacy... Never really figured it'd matter if you're dead..." The boy said softly, once again looking down.

"....."

"Do you think if I became a hero..."

"...."

"People would remember me after I die... like they do Licorice...?"
"...." The man stared at the boy for a minute, cocking his head.

"...Here's what I think...young man. A man doesn't die when his flesh rots, or he breathes his final breath. A man...truly dies...when he's forgotten." The man said. He flashed him a smile, this one remarkably more genuine, though strangely, a bit sad. He crouched down slightly, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"...You don't need to become some...hero or warrior. That's not a path everyone can, or should take. But I think you should strive to leave your mark on the world, no matter how small, alright?"

"Oh......." Jeanne froze for a moment, before chuckling awkwardly. "Don't... worry about that, Siglos. I'm dealing with that."
Siglos hesitated for a moment, before breathing out softly.

"...A-alright Jeanne. S-sorry if I'm being...b-bothersome. I j-just..." He trailed off, hesitating again.

"...D-don't want to l-lose you."

...." The man stared at the boy for a minute, cocking his head.

"...Here's what I think...young man. A man doesn't die when his flesh rots, or he breathes his final breath. A man...truly dies...when he's forgotten." The man said. He flashed him a smile, this one remarkably more genuine, though strangely, a bit sad. He crouched down slightly, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"...You don't need to become some...hero or warrior. That's not a path everyone can, or should take. But I think you should strive to leave your mark on the world, no matter how small, alright?"
The boy glanced at the large man's hand upon his shoulder, his eyes narrowing ever so slightly.

"...The way you hype it up... I guess I could give it a shot." He murmured.

Siglos hesitated for a moment, before breathing out softly.

"...A-alright Jeanne. S-sorry if I'm being...b-bothersome. I j-just..." He trailed off, hesitating again.

"...D-don't want to l-lose you."
Jeanne's smile straightened, "You don't have to worry about me, Siglos. I may not be as tough as the others in our group... But I'm pretty resilient myself, alright? I'll live, I promise!"

The boy glanced at the large man's hand upon his shoulder, his eyes narrowing ever so slightly.

"...The way you hype it up... I guess I could give it a shot." He murmured.
The man flashed him a broad smile, playfully slapping him on the back.

"Now that's what I like to hear! What's your name, kid?" He asked.

Jeanne's smile straightened, "You don't have to worry about me, Siglos. I may not be as tough as the others in our group... But I'm pretty resilient myself, alright? I'll live, I promise!"
Siglos slowly breathed out, a faint smile stretching across his lips.

"...I suppose I...m-may j-just be...paranoid, m-my friend. S-sorry for w-worrying so much." He said softly.

The man flashed him a broad smile, playfully slapping him on the back.

"Now that's what I like to hear! What's your name, kid?" He asked.
"...Yu." The boy, who seemed to call himself Yu, said.
Siglos slowly breathed out, a faint smile stretching across his lips.

"...I suppose I...m-may j-just be...paranoid, m-my friend. S-sorry for w-worrying so much." He said softly.
"Heh... That's alright. I don't have much time, so, at least I have people who'll worry about me..." Jeanne muttered with a smile.

"Heh... That's alright. I don't have much time, so, at least I have people who'll worry about me..." Jeanne muttered with a smile.
"...Don't have m-much time...?" Siglos said, cocking his head.

"...W-what d-do you mean?"

"...Yu." The boy, who seemed to call himself Yu, said.
The man nodded, rising back up to his full, rather imposing height.

"...Nice to meet ya, Yu. You can call me David." He said. He reached a muscular hand forward, gesturing to shake it.

"...Don't have m-much time...?" Siglos said, cocking his head.

"...W-what d-do you mean?"
"Well... I'm human." Jeanne said, "I'll be dead in... 60 or 70 years or so. You'll all live for thousands... millions of years. I don't really have a lot of time in this world for people to remember me..."
The man nodded, rising back up to his full, rather imposing height.

"...Nice to meet ya, Yu. You can call me David." He said. He reached a muscular hand forward, gesturing to shake it.
"...Cool." Yu awkwardly gripped David's handed, nodding. He clearly didn't really know how to shake someone's hand, so he just grabbed it and tried moving it around a bit.

"Well... I'm human." Jeanne said, "I'll be dead in... 60 or 70 years or so. You'll all live for thousands... millions of years. I don't really have a lot of time in this world for people to remember me..."
"....." Siglos said nothing for a moment, his smile fading ever so slightly.

"...I...s-suppose t-that's true..." Siglos said softly. He hesitated, before speaking again.

"...B-but...I'm s-sure y-you'll do...g-great things, Jeanne. Y-you a-are...a-already q-quite...a-amazing, d-despite being s-so...y-young." He said softly.

"...Cool." Yu awkwardly gripped David's handed, nodding. He clearly didn't really know how to shake someone's hand, so he just grabbed it and tried moving it around a bit.
David raised an eyebrow slightly, continuing the, rather awkward, handshake for a few moments before letting go of his hand.

"...You're kinda...different, ya know that? Can't say I've met a kid like ya before." He said, scratching his head. It was blunt, but his tone indicated it wasn't meant to be an insult.

"....." Siglos said nothing for a moment, his smile fading ever so slightly.

"...I...s-suppose t-that's true..." Siglos said softly. He hesitated, before speaking again.

"...B-but...I'm s-sure y-you'll do...g-great things, Jeanne. Y-you a-are...a-already q-quite...a-amazing, d-despite being s-so...y-young." He said softly.
"You really flatter me, but, truth be told, I'm not amazing or anything." Jeanne said, awkwardly scratching her neck.

"Nor am I... a particularly talented or note-worthy Knight. And I probably won't amount to much in the future either..." She said, "I'm... really just kinda here. Existing for the sake of it, heh... I'm nothing special."
David raised an eyebrow slightly, continuing the, rather awkward, handshake for a few moments before letting go of his hand.

"...You're kinda...different, ya know that? Can't say I've met a kid like ya before." He said, scratching his head. It was blunt, but his tone indicated it wasn't meant to be an insult.
"You could be considered pretty different as well... Not many people show up out of nowhere with 6 or 7 broken ribs, a severe breakage in their frontal lobe causing a concussion, a ruptured kidney, and at least 25 separate moderate bone fractures..." Yu muttered, perfectly describing the depth of David's injuries... weirdly enough.

"You really flatter me, but, truth be told, I'm not amazing or anything." Jeanne said, awkwardly scratching her neck.

"Nor am I... a particularly talented or note-worthy Knight. And I probably won't amount to much in the future either..." She said, "I'm... really just kinda here. Existing for the sake of it, heh... I'm nothing special."
Siglos shook his head.

"...Y-you shouldn't...d-disparage y-yourself, l-like that, my friend. Y-you are...b-braver, and more k-kind t-than any h-human I've met..." Siglos said softly.

"...I a-am...h-honored, to t-travel w-with you, h-honestly."

"You could be considered pretty different as well... Not many people show up out of nowhere with 6 or 7 broken ribs, a severe breakage in their frontal lobe causing a concussion, a ruptured kidney, and at least 25 separate moderate bone fractures..." Yu muttered, perfectly describing the depth of David's injuries... weirdly enough.
"heh, fair enough!" David said. He cracked a smile, a chuckle escaping his lips.

"What are ya, some kinda doctor?"

Siglos shook his head.

"...Y-you shouldn't...d-disparage y-yourself, l-like that, my friend. Y-you are...b-braver, and more k-kind t-than any h-human I've met..." Siglos said softly.

"...I a-am...h-honored, to t-travel w-with you, h-honestly."
"Bravery and kindness can only get one so far, Siglos..." Jeanne muttered, "I don't think that I can get to where I want to be based only on those two things... No matter how valuable they may be on paper."
"heh, fair enough!" David said. He cracked a smile, a chuckle escaping his lips.

"What are ya, some kinda doctor?"
"No... I can just see it. Your injuries, I mean." Yu said, shaking his head.

"Not really hard to see..."

"Bravery and kindness can only get one so far, Siglos..." Jeanne muttered, "I don't think that I can get to where I want to be based only on those two things... No matter how valuable they may be on paper."
"....T-then...w-we can help you, Jeanne" Siglos said softly. He flashed her a soft smile, his ears twitching slightly.

"...E-even if you...d-don't think y-you can get t-there...alone. Me...N-Noah...Shalor....w-we...a-all are here t-to support y-you..."

"No... I can just see it. Your injuries, I mean." Yu said, shaking his head.

"Not really hard to see..."
David raised an eyebrow, glancing down at his own stomach.

"Uh...if ya say so, kid. Most people can't tell ya your injuries down to a T, just by looking at ya for a bit." He said. He shrugged, before glancing around.

"...What are ya doing around here, anyway?"

"....T-then...w-we can help you, Jeanne" Siglos said softly. He flashed her a soft smile, his ears twitching slightly.

"...E-even if you...d-don't think y-you can get t-there...alone. Me...N-Noah...Shalor....w-we...a-all are here t-to support y-you..."
"...I'd be honored to accept your help then, Siglos." Jeanne said with a smile, bowing ever so slightly to express her gratitude. "If you'll have me, that is."
David raised an eyebrow, glancing down at his own stomach.

"Uh...if ya say so, kid. Most people can't tell ya your injuries down to a T, just by looking at ya for a bit." He said. He shrugged, before glancing around.

"...What are ya doing around here, anyway?"
"Remember when I told you I had a teacher...? She asked me to go buy some supplies for the dojo... but I got lost, since I've never been here before. I probably should've asked for directions to town..." Yu muttered, before just shrugging.

"Remember when I told you I had a teacher...? She asked me to go buy some supplies for the dojo... but I got lost, since I've never been here before. I probably should've asked for directions to town..." Yu muttered, before just shrugging.
"Dojo? What, you some kinda...martial artist or somethin?" David asked, cocking his head.

"...I'd be honored to accept your help then, Siglos." Jeanne said with a smile, bowing ever so slightly to express her gratitude. "If you'll have me, that is."
"O-of course, Jeanne...I m-may b-be...r-rather w-weak, c-compared to y-you...but... I'd be...more t-than happy to assist you, i-in any way I can..." Siglos said softly, his smile widening slightly.

"Dojo? What, you some kinda...martial artist or somethin?" David asked, cocking his head.
Yu nodded, "My teacher runs a dojo with her little sister... And I get to learn there for free so long as I do errands like this."
"O-of course, Jeanne...I m-may b-be...r-rather w-weak, c-compared to y-you...but... I'd be...more t-than happy to assist you, i-in any way I can..." Siglos said softly, his smile widening slightly.
"Well, strength is definitely important, as I just said... but it's not everything. Everybody has their own role, Siglos." Jeanne said with a smile.

Yu nodded, "My teacher runs a dojo with her little sister... And I get to learn there for free so long as I do errands like this."
"...Is she feeding ya right? No offense but you're kinda...scrawny for a fighter." David said, cocking his head.

"Well, strength is definitely important, as I just said... but it's not everything. Everybody has their own role, Siglos." Jeanne said with a smile.
Siglos flashed her a soft smile, nodding at her words.

"...Y-your right, m-my friend. I...I c-can always s-support you w-with my... c-craftmanship...i-if you'd b-be...w-willing to a-accept m-more of my wares..." He said softly.

Back