• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Showdown Discussion Thread

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
For those who want to challenge one another in the metagame, or just to talk about it or whatever.

(Btw, my Showdown name is trch if anyone wants to get beat in a Gen 7 OU matchup ovo)

Sorry, Cal... I am an jerk

I'm sorry

By the way, I am "Captain Beto". It's an "Invisible" song in the disc "El Jardin de los Presentes" (The Garden of who are Present)

Doubles is something that I'd have a hard time learning to do, so kudos on figuring out a proper game plan.

The thing is that in every 'mon that you have in your team, that 'mon must carry Protect. Unless is bulky, have an Assault Vest, a Focus Sash or it has something like Wide Guard to defend against spread moves.

At first it was a pain for me learning this meta (I played Ubers for a long time) and then boom. I am almost 1600 :)

I noticed you had a Blacephalon. That thing is impossible for me to beat with my team (which consists of Gliscor, Clefable, Ferrothorn, Starmie (or Ash-Greninja), Magnezone, and Mega Medicham).

Actually, if you carry a 'mon that is faster that Blacephalon you can clean the floor with its body. Magnezone I could defeat it; Mega Medicham too; Gliscor... Earthquake or Rock Slide and I see myself in the ground.

I would like to remind that Z-Magnet Rise isn´t banned anymore,so you can ignore the evasion clause with it.

Z-Celebrate: headache after headache. Even if you Taunt your opponent it won't disable that goddamn move. Actually, no Z-Moves are disabled after Taunt.

Like I said in the battle... I don't even know why I won against him. I just said: "Well, I lost. I'm going to put rocks in his side of the field". And then... that.

Fun fact: There's literally no way to remove Stealth Rocks in Let's Go. And it's the only hazard move in the game.

Also, Eevee tops OU alongside Mew.

The real cal howard said:
Fun fact: There's literally no way to remove Stealth Rocks in Let's Go. And it's the only hazard move in the game.

Also, Eevee tops OU alongside Mew.
Whats fun about that? Ovo

I used to be pretty good at the Gen V meta. I used to record most of my battles to, and put them on YouTube when I was 13...never forget.

I'm not so good at Gen 7, though.

R/B/Y

And no. It is not appealing. Persian's Slash always crits (and that's the least of the problems when it game to crits), you will die to Explosion unless your name is Gengar, Freeze is a death sentence, Toxic is worthless, Sleep and binding leave you helpless, you can't be a mixed attacker unless your name is Zapdos, if Hyper Beam scores a kill it doesn't need to recharge, Amnesia was basically if you used Calm Mind twice, there was a 1/256 chance of a move missing even if it had 100% accuracy, Focus Energy was broken (as in it literally didn't work), and...Mewtwo. Just...Mewtwo.

Hyper beam not needing to recharge if it scores a kill seems balanced to me. Same for every move like that. In return, if you dont kill, you cant swap.

Coming off of Tauros's attack stat, if you're hit once before (without even factoring in the 1/4 crit chance) or your name is Mewtwo, Golem, or Rhydon, it's over.

The real cal howard said:
Coming off of Tauros's attack stat, if you're hit once before (without even factoring in the 1/4 crit chance) or your name is Mewtwo, Golem, or Rhydon, it's over.
I meant with the mechanics of g2 onwards, not with the nearly unplayable gen 1 rules.

G1 Meta is novel, but not that fun. G2 Meta is pretty lame.

I always wanted to try the G3 Meta though. It's when they started making the battles more interesting, yet didn't yet implement the physical/special split.

Advanced meta is very interesting to me. EVs and IVs came more to the forefront, abilities were introduced, and so were a few useful moves like Calm Mind.

Yeah, and Hidden Power was a universally useful move, rather than something just for special attackers. The lack of a special/physical split gave way to some very interesting movepools too, like Elemental Punching Gardevoir.

When things reached Gen 4... that was awesome. The only problem was that Garchomp and Salamence were in the Ubers tier. Those two were a virtual headache. Oh, and the Outrage spam *his spine shocks with those memories*

Gen V meta was so underrated.

"It was just a weather spam" - Uncreative people

"Crippling the entire opponents strategy because it's so reliant on one move" - Creative people

Prankster Murkrow with Sunny Day and Rain Dance won me so many OU battles. Oh, and Dragon Dance/Bulk Up Scrafty with Moxie = gamebreaker.

Gen 6 ruined everything with Fairy typings. My entire server fell apart because fairy ruined the game for all of us. That alone makes me hate Gen 6.

I really wish Mega Garchomp had Speed Boost so it could maybe even go to AG to allow Rayquaza to get some company.

Maybe if they started to make hidden ablities for megas... nah, they woudl have done so already by now.

I remember when I had a team with Vivillon in Gen 6. Their ability was a Compound Eyes and Hurricane, Sleep Powder, Tailwind and Powder (against Fire type moves). In Gen 6 with the whole mega thing, I thought that "oh, Mawile? Is not so dangerous". I was wrong

I will never get the logic of Smogon. What does and doesn't get banned seems to more fall inline with popularity than actual balance.

Actually is more like the fact that certain 'mons are very overpowered, most of the times you need to make a team to defeat that specific 'mon. But I agree with you, most of the times is all about popularity.

Darkanine said:
I will never get the logic of Smogon. What does and doesn't get banned seems to more fall inline with popularity than actual balance.
Dark, why haven´t you checked the Spongebob CRT by the way?, you seem to be the best one suited for the job.

Back