• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon General Discussion Thread Gen VII: Lusamine is greatest villain

Why not? Pokémon get a 50% attack boost if they use a move of the same type.

I think this counts as Damage Boost.

NeoZex6399 said:
Why not? Pokémon get a 50% attack boost if they use a move of the same type.
I think this counts as Damage Boost.
It probably can apply to all Pokémon that can learn at least one offensive STAB move in that case

I believe STAB has been called Game Mechanics here. Difficult to find acknowledgement of it outside of that, AFAIK.

I don't think we should consider it game mechanics, I even think I remember that npc's in the games mention that attacks of the same type are boosted.

DYNAMAXING AND MAX MOVES

The Dynamax phenomenon not only makes Pokémon huge—it can also give them a boost in power. Dynamaxing your Pokémon can sway the course of a battle! The Max Moves that only Dynamax Pokémon can use aren't just powerful, either. They all have impressive additional effects!

The Water-type Max Move Max Geyser will trigger the rain weather condition!

The Fighting-type Max Move Max Knuckle will increase the Attack of all allied Pokémon, as well as the user!

Even if an opponent uses a move like Protect, a Max Move will still blast through it and deal some damage!

All status moves used by a Dynamax Pokémon become Max Guard, which can even protect against other Max Moves.

8 16 maxmoves 2

DYNAMAXING AND HELD ITEMS

In Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, you'll be able to Dynamax any Pokémon from the Galar region so long as you have the Dynamax Band. There's no need to have the Pokémon hold a special item. This means that you can choose which one of your Pokémon to Dynamax depending on what's happening in the battle. You could even have your Pokémon hold items that boost their offenses so they can unleash Max Moves that are even more powerful!

NEW ABILITIES WILL BE APPEARING IN POKÉMON SWORD AND POKÉMON SHIELD
Many new Abilities have been discovered in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield! The Ability of Galarian Weezing, Neutralizing Gas, is one such Ability! This Ability neutralizes the ongoing effects of other Pokémon's Abilities and even prevents Abilities from being triggered!

8 16 maxmoves 9
Galarian Weezing will fill the area with Neutralizing Gas when it enters the battlefield!

8 16 maxmoves 10
Once the Pokémon with Neutralizing Gas leaves the battlefield, the Abilities of the other Pokémon will be activated again.

HERE ARE TWO NEW ITEMS: ROOM SERVICE AND EJECT PACK

There are new items available in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield that will broaden the strategies you can use in Pokémon battles! These include items that can combo with specific moves to give you an edge in battles, like Room Service and Eject Pack.

When held by a Pokémon, Room Service will lower the holder's Speed when the move Trick Room is successfully used.

When a Pokémon holding Eject Pack has any of its stats lowered, it will immediately switch out so you can send in another Pokémon from your team!

And finally a non-gen 1 regional Pokemon

If regional Pokemon were only for the first generation I swear

TriforcePower1 said:
Slaking and Weezing vs Shedinja ovo
Archeops benefits from Galarian Weezing's ability as well. Dynamax Choice Banded Giga Impact Slaking + Galarian Weezing's Ability which means no Truant = Scary Thought!

Considering a good chunk of Pokémon species are no longer in Gen 8...

Will Smogon support Gen 7 as the main thing for longer?

Perhaps they will have now two different formats. I dunno, but given the large amount of new elements introduced in Sword and Shield, it would be strange they don't tackle generation 8.

They already did Let´s Go by just modding the current Gen 7 engine to include the new stuff

But yeah, surely Gen 8 will be supported too in it, and probably Gen 7 for a longer while.

I didn't know about let's go, but makes sense. However, Sword and Shield have a ton of more stuff in them aside, well missing pokemon, making the difference even more noticeable. All is just a guess, but I think Gen VII will keep going with all pokemon and Megas with Z-Moves, while a new one will be done for Gen 8 with the restricted Pokemon available and Gigamax and all.

Maybe they will have something that mixes everything but I think they will keep in mind the content of the games themselves.

Archeops with no ability surely won´t get to Ubers, unlike Slaking and Regigigas

While we are at it, Galarian Weezing will be great for Fairy monotype

I doubt Regigigas is ubers material tbh. Yeah he's a tank with decent versatility, but he has hardly any recovery, not too many hard hitting moves and a bad defensive typing. Not to mention his speed isn't that great either.

Edit: He has a few more hard hitting moves than I originally thought. Still don't see him being ubers tho.

GyroNutz said:
I doubt Regigigas is ubers material tbh. Yeah he's a tank with decent versatility, but he has hardly any recovery, not too many hard hitting moves and a bad defensive typing. Not to mention his speed isn't that great either.
Edit: He has a few more hard hitting moves than I originally thought. Still don't see him being ubers tho.
I mean, Pokémon that are just too good in OU are Ubers too, like Genesect, or Reshiram being outclassed by Victini and Primal Groudon

It will be interesting to see how Sir Weezing plays with Pokemon with negative abilities, unless those abilities are unaffected by Neutralizing Gas for balance porpuses.

Imagine Corviknight vs Malamar lol

Malamar tries to reduce Corviknight's stats, Corviknight reflects that, Malamar boosts himself.

Bobsican said:
I mean, Pokémon that are just too good in OU are Ubers too, like Genesect, or Reshiram being outclassed by Victini and Primal Groudon
Yeah, but you got heavy hitters like Hoopa Unbound already in OU with better offensive presence and versatility for less bulk and a bit less speed. Regigigas' typing and lack of recovery means it doesn't really want to switch into much in fear of being chipped.

Back