• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon General Discussion Thread Gen VII: Lusamine is greatest villain

Drite77 said:
I am still pissed that Tobias was created. Ash deserved that league
It was at this moment I knew Ash will never win a League. And Best Wishes' league confirmed that

You realize you're wrong on the basis that every trainer in every league up to this had to get all gym badges right? Just because the trainers in question werent established characters doesnt mean they werent good. The worst trainger in every other league is better than over half the trainers in the alola league. So no, you cant make that argument, the fact youre even trying to when you have to beat 8 gym leaders to enter disprooves your claim.

You're also implying that I thought the other leagues were worth while too. Kanto was bad and Ash didnt deserve to win, if he cant control Charizard he deserved to lose. But the trainers that he did fight were still a cut above most of alola.

All your examples fall flat because you're only naming off named trainers, the random trainers withgout a name were all skilled trainers, every single participant was skilled, more so than most of the alola league, probably all of em honestly minus Gladion and maybe Guzma. Lana has potential though to be extremely high end but at the moment, unsure.

I dont think you understood what I meant, litteraly only two trainers in all of the alola league were high end, the rest were decent or completely inexperienced novices that dont know how to battle in the slightes, see Mallow, couldnt even get a hit in on Lana and joined just because. Is the alola league new? Yeah. Is it wrong to expect high end trainers? Yeah.

But that doesnt change the fact that there aint any high end trainers. Were all the other leagues, every single trainer was skilled and needed to beat the gym leaders to join. You saying the only decent trainers are ____ would be wrong on that notion alone. I'll say it once more every trainer in the other leagues were good. Ash doesnt need to fight eveery trainer, because he's fighting the trainers that beat the trainers that lost. That's how tourneys work. If you put Ash in a battle with the entire alolaleague he'd win with no questions asked against all but like two. Where in every other league, each battle would be a maybe, even the first. Except the lucario dude, I honestly dont know how he made it that far and im saddened ash lost to such a novice. Now before you use the fact it's a new league as an excuse for shoddy competition, I'm aware and I agree expecting like a hundred high end trainers who all had to pass a certain requirement to join wasnt gonna happen, but that doesnt mean because you cant expect that it means the current competition is good. If Ash wins this, it litterally wouldnt matter, he only beat two real trainers and those trainers steamrolled the competition in turn. It wasnt a real league, it was a 3 way battle all things considered. In fact I think you're under the imression that I hate the alola league or something, i dont, but let me be very clear. Even if Ash wins this, it wont be a satisfactory win, in fact I wouldnt even call it a real league win because it's only a league in name. There's no standards to it, and it shows.

DragonEmperor23 said:
smh why are you guys clowning Arceus's Avatar
NGL, that would be a nice little twist, though still bullshit that he lost. Like, after the league, it is revealed that Arceus wanted to know the humans more or some shit, anything better than that PIS

@Yobo: Well, was voiced by Ryu (Street Fighter) in Japanese. That's something ovo

I honestly never understood the writers belief that achieving any sort of long term progress or big goal would mean Ash's journey as a trainer would be over.

@Kukui: I see what you mean, but Chariot does have a point and it's a mix of things: if character is established as a skilled battler and we see it well developed as one, it's much more beliveable that they have a high level of skill. However, if said character, even if well developed for the audience has been shown to not be a battler or have little skill, or be focused on something else we will know for certain they aren't really that good at fighting, regardless of how familiarized we are. On the other hand, even if a character has little development but the context and narrative mentions they are good at battling we will know beating them is kind of a big deal, but it will be less convinving than the first case of a well established and developed character. It may come as kinda cheap, but sometimes is not possible to develop every rival. I mean, even Hajime no Ippo which gives screentime to most opponents has to take the "word of mouth" approach sometimes.

Chariot190 said:
You realize you're wrong on the basis that every trainer in every league up to this had to get all gym badges right? Just because the trainers in question werent established characters doesnt mean they werent good. The worst trainger in every other league is better than over half the trainers in the alola league. So no, you cant make that argument, the fact youre even trying to when you have to beat 8 gym leaders to enter disprooves your claim.
Stopped reading here because this is also not neccessarily true. Obtaining all 8 badges doesnt even automatically give you the gold standard of being a strong trainer and Ash facing the Kanto gyms is a perfect example. He literally got his badges handed to him without actually earning them in the beginning. Sabrina is the best example since he got her badge just by making her laugh. Not even beating her in a battle.

There's also another time where Ash didnt beat Maylene but only tied with her and Lucario. He didn't actually win, yet Maylene just handed him the badge because of him battling well. Key word: Well. Not actually winning.

Whos to say that these no name trainers who's only purpose is to fill up a tournament don't have anything like this happen to them? They're regarded as nothing but fodder and whether or not they are better than half of Alola's competition doesn't excuse the fact that they are just as much fodder as what you are arguing to try and downplay the Alola league.

Its another of those discussions where people will go to far? I like to see Mayhem so i approve this

BTW, i just notice that Virgil was introduced only to win the Unova league, like, it was in the last couple of episodes that he was introduced, wich is very cheap IMO

Drite77 said:
Its another of those discussions where people will go to far? I like to see Mayhem so i approve this
BTW, i just notice that Virgil was introduced only to win the Unova league, like, it was in the last couple of episodes that he was introduced, wich is very cheap IMO
To be fair, Virgil at least has an actual character. He even played a role in the Mewtwo special before the Genesect movie.

He's no character that deserves a league win, but he aint a Tobias.

Well, narrative, it is a bad character. Being introduced with no purpose outside of being the winner of the league is bad, you could even say that he is a better Tobias, but his competition is eh, lack luster to say the least

Drite77 said:

The dude didn't even have a full team, his last Pokemon was weak Riolu so has should've win but PIS stomps everything and made Riolu evolve. On top of that, he lost to a team of eveelutions smh

At least Cameron was stabilished before the league, he is still a bad Rival Like every rival from Best Wishes but not as bas as Virgil

Drite77 said:
Well, narrative, it is a bad character. Being introduced with no purpose outside of being the winner of the league is bad, you could even say that he is a better Tobias, but his competition is eh, lack luster to say the least
Oh I don't disagree that he's a bad character. Pretty much all of the people introduced in Black and White were bad and I vehemently disliked B&W with a burning passion. Dawn and Cynthia returning was literally the only thing I ever liked about it.

Im only saying that he's not a Tobias since Virgil at least existed outside of the league and has a role elsewhere. Whereas Tobias has no known history before or after the sinnoh league whatsoever.

Epsilon R said:
Drite77 said:

The dude didn't even have a full team, his last Pokemon was weak Riolu so has should've win but PIS stomps everything and made Riolu evolve. On top of that, he lost to a team of eveelutions smh
I disgress, his Riolu was shown to be a capable fighter on Bianca's fight, i don't remember if he was featured before though. Actually, Cameron's team has some strong Pokémon on it, but he makes bad decisions

Drite77 said:
@Kukui Eh, i like Stephan since we actually see alot of him and he is not an ass to Ash
Hmm. Okay maybe Stephan ill include since he was not annoying. He was certainly better than Trip, who was a failed copy of Paul.

>Stopped reading here

Well then I guess I'm going to do the same, sad seeing how we could of had an actual conversation but if you cant be bothered to read then neither can I.

That's what I thought I was doing tho

But oh well we clearly disagree.

On another more topical note, how far ya'll in masters?

Chariot190 said:
>Stopped reading here
Well then I guess I'm going to do the same, sad seeing how we could of had an actual conversation but if you cant be bothered to read then neither can I.
I stopped reading from the 1st paragraph because the argument was already wrong for reasons I gave. No offense. Why would I read the rest?

ProfessorKukui4Life said:
Chariot190 said:
>Stopped reading here
I stopped reading from the 1st paragraph because the argument was already wrong for reasons I gave. Why would I read the rest?
Wouldnt know, I stopped reading.

Drite77 said:
@Kukui @Chariot
Geez guys, i will slap you both if you don't shake hands and befriend each other!
ANYWAY, pokemon masters talk.

Who's doing Co-Op?

ProfessorKukui4Life said:
Quick question. What would eating a dream from someone count as? And how big would the potency be?
Dream Manip. But it can change depending of the context

Okay, so what about its potency? Would a dream count as like using mind hax on a single person? Or would it scale to whatever the dream is made up of?

Context is needed, generaly, i don't think that it scales t Mind hax potency. In some universes, Dreams are considered Universes, but that needs to be stated to be treated as such, otherewise, is just a form of Dream Manip

I find it pretty weird that it needs to be stated when Dreams can literally be, like, anything. But i'll probably take this to a thread to talk about it more there.

Back