• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Chapter 997: "Flames" (Official Release)

Well, i think i disagree with Luffy even having 7A+ durability to begin with, so i think a thread about that will need to be done. It basically is like saying Apoo > Katakuri.
I'm pretty sure Katakuri should scale to G4 Luffy anyway, but whatever. That's a topic for later.

Well, i think i disagree with Luffy even having 7A+ durability to begin with, so i think a thread about that will need to be done. It basically is like saying Apoo > Katakuri.
I mean, there's no reason it should be changed now just to avoid Apoo scaling above Katakuri.

Luffy in base still took Katakuri's haki infused punches for 11 hours straight & Apoo still one shot him. But I'm sure only 7-A+ was settled on for a reason, and as such Apoo should logically only scale to "at least 7-A+" while Kat has scaling to Boundman which is High 7-A.

Last edited:
But yea discussing Luffy's 7-A+ durability rating, this isn't the place for it. (Although I think new evidence would be needed to change the rating, which I don't think Apoo one shotting is)

Was Kaido in base when he did/was doing that?
https://s4-2.**********.com/manga/One-Piece/0997-016.png

Yep, seems the flames are coming from his body (although we also see him use these same flames to suspend him in the air in dragon form)

If it is flames we should be able to apply it to his dragon breath I suppose. Then that also applies to his durability.

Interesting he can use a DF ability while in base.

Yeah, it seems like Kaido did it in Base since he transformed a few chapters ago and the earthquakes showing the island being moved only just now started.

Forgot to mention that Choppers speech was also a pretty awesome moment, we are really ramping up recently and the last like 5+ Chapters have been absolutely fantastic.

Aren't Devil Fruit Human and Animal Forms technically equal, just each has their own advantages in combat and it's only when they enter a Hybrid Form that they are at their strongest

It's entirely possible that Kaido is a different species all together. What gave me that hint is Yamato's use of "Dragons", implying there's potentially more of them since Yamato was seemingly describing an innate ability of Dragons. Kaido may not be a DF user at all.
This ^

Plus last Chapter we saw that Yamato started to change forms, everyone assumed it was a DF but it could simply be that shes a Dragon like her father.

I mean, it definitely seems plausible. He was introduced "on land, Sea and air he's said to be the strongest creature alive" I've never heard of a devil fruit user being the strongest in water. Plus it would explain how he hasn't been killed by drowning.

Nothing concrete yet but there definitely seems there's something more.

I mean, it could also be that they're referencing actual dragons as a species, upon which his fruit is based. Maybe dragons really do have that innate ability and we just haven't seen any, and Kaido's DF can replicate it much like a normal Zoan does to a normal animal.

Well, we have seen some dragons before, but none of them have been the same kind as Kaido's potential DF, and were also both artificial. I can see it going either way however.

Btw something interesting I thought of, we know Kaido was captured by the Marines and escaped before destroying 9 Battleships, we also know that the Marines are quick to use Sea Stone cuffs and chains on a prisoner. If he was actually a Dragon it could help explain how he escaped and its not out of character for him to sit there and let them try and kill him.

(This is all obviously 100% speculation)

Pretty sure Mama could've given any of Kaido's crew a run for his money even while literally covered in Sea Stone. He just had her released to make it a fair fight for himself. I don't see how a few Marine ships could keep him contained for very long, DF or not.

Also I think we are starting to get to a point that we should have a legit discussion about Kaido having regen since its been consistently shown that he gets injured then either in the next panel or chapter hes perfectly fine, hell the last two times we have seen him hes looked no more damaged then prior to the Raid tbh.

Pretty sure Mama could've given any of Kaido's crew a run for his money even while literally covered in Sea Stone. He just had her released to make it a fair fight for himself. I don't see how a few Marine ships could keep him contained for very long, DF or not.
Yes but Kaido sunk all the ships (I think) and if he had Seastone cuffs he wouldnt be able to transform and fly away to avoid falling into the sea.

But still this is obviously speculation so I could be completely wrong.

Yep, definitely. Even his massive wound which was somewhat cut is completely healed, I'm for him getting Regen (Low), maybe not mid low since he couldn't heal form a "large scar"

Yep, definitely. Even his massive wound which was somewhat cut is completely healed, I'm for him getting Regen (Low), maybe not mid low since he couldn't heal form a "large scar"
Personally id say “At least Low” for the simple facts that obviously we are still learning so it could be higher and also since theres potential that Haki or the Swords have special properties to neg regen (But I do agree with Low for now).

Yeah it could definitely be higher, but we'll have to wait for more info until then.

Although he did seemingly heal from Kiku stabbing straight through his hand, would that warrant higher than Low?

Umm guys?

If the Kaido lifting Onigashima gets put into his Boro Breath scaling since its fire, it's gonna go towards his durability because of this.

0992-012.png

And everyone that hurts him is gonna have comparable AP...

How's that gonna work?
We're taking Island+ Level Scabbards? I'm down with that.

We're taking Island+ Level Scabbards? I'm down with that.
I don't think they should scale, I believe the explanation given as to why they they could harm him was due to their Ryou, but, Kaido expresses that they're too weak which results in shallow cuts.

Plus we saw a glimpse In the last chapter of them getting taken down easily with just a few bat swings.

Personally I don't think they should scale to Kaido.

While 6C Scabbards isn't really an accurate rating when we get into it, are we really going to low-ball them to something like 377-420? H7A should be the literal minimum for them, with maybe a note in their AP/powers/whatever that Ryou allows them to cut someone more powerful than them (within reason).

While 6C Scabbards isn't really an accurate rating when we get into it, are we really going to low-ball them to something like 377-420?
No I definitely don't agree with scaling them to 377-420 megatons. I proposed last chapter since we saw the Scabbards (mainly Kin'emon) take attacks that looked more ferocious than the one used on Boundman. So I do agree with the Scabbards scaling to High 7-A.

Wait.

Does Apoo have dura feats?

Cause 2x his dura for Zoro's AP since 1 shot is possible 👀

Yeah for the Scabbards id say “At least High 7-A, possibly Higher” could work but they dont scale to Kaido imo, since lets not forget high level Haki has been getting hyped for its ability to ignore durability and such as well as the fact that the moment Kaido went into real attack mode the fight ended.

I don't think the 1/3 thing will get accepted, I do agree there is a strength difference between sword styles.
I'm 50% sure that thread just got "higher", but here's my thing right.

Apoo's current ratings are this.
Attack Potency: Likely Mountain level+ (His "Fighting Music" put a deep cut into Zoro and momentarily incapacitated Base Luffy during the Siege of Onigashima)
Durability: Unknown, likely Mountain level+ via power-scaling

Lets say the Mountain Level+ works.
Regardless of the amount of swords Zoro has, Apoo got one shot with 1 sword of Zoro's.
This is a bunch of Mountain+, so regardless, Zoro w/ one sword would massively upscale from him, putting Zoro in the gigaton ranges (or Large Mountain level).

I'm 50% sure that thread just got "higher", but here's my thing right.

Apoo's current ratings are this.
Attack Potency: Likely Mountain level+ (His "Fighting Music" put a deep cut into Zoro and momentarily incapacitated Base Luffy during the Siege of Onigashima)
Durability: Unknown, likely Mountain level+ via power-scaling

Lets say the Mountain Level+ works.
Regardless of the amount of swords Zoro has, Apoo got one shot with 1 sword of Zoro's.
This is a bunch of Mountain+, so regardless, Zoro w/ one sword would massively upscale from him, putting Zoro in the gigaton ranges (or Large Mountain level).
I definitely agree with that, I mean, I personally think Apoo should be At least 7-A+ since he incapacitated Luffy with just a single attack. I'm all for High 7-A upscaling due to one shotting + sword style differences

We do know mythical zoans can use their abilities in base like with Marco, but, it's still possible Kaido isn't a devil fruit user at all considering no confirmation has been given even now.
I don't remember the source, but i recall Oda addressing this long time theory in an interview semi recently. He said the ability to fly comes from cloud generation which is in itself an ability of his devil fruit.

I know i said there should be a thread about it to not derail this one, but why does Apoo's dura scale to 7A+? What damaged Luffy was his DF, not his punches. There are problems with that full scaling since it means he would be stronger than Katakuri (who shouldn't even have a 7A+ end, the reason for such an end is literally overpowering an 7A+ attack, it is like giving Kaido a H7A ending for overpowering the Scabbards), that and Luffy was caught completely off guard without Haki, and i doubt Luffy really TANKED an attack from Kata without haki to get his tier at base to 7A+, it is the same with Usopp vs Ulti and Apoo vs Kid to some extent, all of them were damaged but were able to keep fighting.

Back