• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Chapter 1044: "Warrior of Liberation" (Official Release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing chapter. I'm glad Luffy didn't lose consciousness or that he doesn't have a Joyboy inside him and stuff like that (As much as Nika's personality is in the fruit, it's diferent from a Kyuubi). It seems that the Gorosei didn't know that Luffy's fruit was the Hito Hito no Mi for all these years, as the fruit "runs away" from them; it makes me think about Shanks having prior knowledge about it and intercepting the World Government Ships before it could get into Im-sama's hands be an action of fate (Perhaps the god Nika within the fruit can alter events in his favor?); however, I also think now that the mysterious pirate Shanks alerted the Gorosei to is probably Luffy.

I'm curious how the Toon Force (and they made fun of me about Luffy turning into a Looney Toones, coff) is going to work effectively in battle as a reality warping and stuff; I just know that Kaido will lose badly if he doesn't have his own awakening to resist somehow. I have a lot of doubts about the akuma no mi; Nika was a person who turned into a deity and his spirit was turned into a mystical fruit? lol. I wonder if this opens the door for each mystical zoan fruit to come from an real ancestral being as well, if so, in the universe of One Piece there was a Buddha, a Phoenix, the Yamata no Orochi, a Kyuubi and many other mythological beings some day.

Last edited:
Luffy earlier: Dead
Kaidou: My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined

Luffy now: Ressurection outta nowhere and mangled Kaidou like it was in 60's Cartoon Series/Movie
Kaidou: My happiness is immeasurable and my day is saved
Kaido is now a Happy Drunk!
FOew_1qX0AMTmXW
For above five seconds I thought Luffy had a White Afro

Last edited:
(Perhaps the god Nika within the fruit can alter events in his favor?)

I'm curious how the Toon Force (I mean they made fun of me about Luffy turning into a Looney Toones, coff) is going to work effectively in battle as a reality warping and stuff;
Wasn't there an SBS or sth like that were Oda says Luffy(& Zoro) are pretty lucky? Maybe this is the reason for Luffy?

@Anomalous_N_I_W_D_E brought this up to me: "Isn't it funny that both Luffy(Alabasta) & Spongebob(1st Movie) were extremely lucky to get saved from certain death by a drop of water?🧽"
Tfw @Stefano4444 predicted it right lmfao
Basically he becomes Eraserhead(Getting a Riddler Crocodile Flashbacks)& has his own version of Hakai.

Last edited:
I'm not one to interact much here at VSB, but as a fan of One Piece I can not help but give my opinion about what I thought of all this.

This is simply sensational, there's no way to hate it, he changed the name of the fruit, but didn't change the essence, just perfect.

He put all the theories in his pocket and did what no one ever imagined, and this is all in Luffy's face, so much so that he is laughing, laughing at what? At how much fun it is to use his new powers. The very definition of "happy boy".

This is simply One Piece, people. Oda is simply the best writer alive.
Well, he is easily the best comic book writer in any case, and One Piece is the most popular comic book of all time for very good reasons.

"I'm Luffy D. Sailor Man! I'm Luffy D. Sailor Man! I'm strong to the finish, 'cause I eats me spinach! I'm Luffy D. Sailor Man!"

Is somebody willing to send that song to Oda's SBS letters-answering column? I think it would be fun.

Last edited:
Well, he is easily the best comic book writer in any case, and One Piece is the most popular comic book of all time for very good reasons.

"I'm Luffy D. Sailor Man! I'm Luffy D. Sailor Man! I'm strong to the finish, 'cause I eats me spinach! I'm Luffy D. Sailor Man!"

Is somebody willing to send that song to Oda's SBS letters-answering column? I think it would be fun.
See here for further information:

The letter could say something like:

"

Dear Oda-sensei;

You are the greatest comic book creator of all time.

We read One Piece chapter #1044. It was amazing. Thank you.

You are just what we all need in these dark times. Long live freedom!

Sincerely, the VS Battles community.

"

But in Japanese, except for the Popeye song.

Last edited:
Because this is a drum call and celebration of freedom against tyrannical oppression, and just what we need in these dark times, and because Luffy awakening to become a spiritual successor to Popeye is an absolutely awesome plot development that fits perfectly with this theme.

Because this is a drum call and celebration of freedom against tyrannical oppression, and just what we need in these dark times, and because Luffy awakening to become a spiritual successor to Popeye is an absolutely awesome plot development that fits perfectly with this theme.
I'm all for it.

I personally really love this approach with Luffy myself. Something Oda is pretty consistently good at is he manages to include something silly and comical during a life or death situation while still maintaining the stakes and tension of what is happening. Things like water Luffy against Crocodile, Katakuri taking a timeout to eat then having his face revealed, the legendary Enel face then the proceeding beat down Luffy gave him it’s all really good and this seems in line with that. It feels exactly like Luffy to have the time of his life and engage in a very fun beat down as he wallops Kaido in a very Popeye like manner for a bit. Very fitting for someone who is a Joy Boy.

and while I initially was a bit on the fence about Luffy’s fruit being more special then we were lead to believe I’m actually pretty fine with this. Since it seems to be a result of Luffy’s own achievements and determination that unlocked the fruits full potential rather then something passed down to him and not cause of being a reincarnation or anything of that nature (which I was most concerned about) so it’s all cause of Luffy’s own charisma drive and spirit that allowed this all to happen which for me at least makes it feel earned.

That and thinking about it this makes the conflict with Blackbeard even more fitting. Nika the sun god against the Yami Yami No Mi’s darkness. Certainly adds even more thematic elements to Luffy vs Blackbeard.

Yeah, i also think at this point that Shanks was talking about Luffy, and i start to feel like Shanks may be far more nefarious character than initially thought.
shanks is probs the fourth party, you got luffy vs marines, bb is the 3rd party, and shanks is the 4th party.

Luffy (who has returned to his normal form) is lying on the ground laughing non-stop, but when he sees Kaidou's “Bolo Breath”, he screams surprised. His eyes also pop out like a cartoon, but it's more excessive than Kaidou's (Luffy acts like Jim Carrey's character in the movie "The Mask").

7h4QtK6.png
1*qKvChXYIyIX67aQp_dCmbQ.gif
@Js250476 Thanks a lot! I just couldn't resist to making this reference

I also think that Oda will not do anything so outrageous that it breaks his setting.
i feel like if there is toon force for luffy how would other characters deal with him unless oda just erases the concept of it every being something and moves on from it.

i feel like if there is toon force for luffy how would other characters deal with him unless oda just erases the concept of it every being something and moves on from it.
Well, it depends on how extreme it is. Luffy clearly has it to a small degree given what he did with Kaido, but I doubt that it will turn "too" silly.

Well, it depends on how extreme it is. Luffy clearly has it to a small degree given what he did with Kaido, but I doubt that it will turn "too" silly.
i mean i feel like oda just wanted to ease the mood since the build up has been tense, and the mood will go back to tense after kaido awakens from his "silly" beating.

Absolutely no problem! I’ve really loved everything you said and felt you more then deserved some likes. It’s the least I can do.
Thanks again mate! Appriciate the support
200w.gif

I'm suprised Arale ain't up there. Especially since Oda is Toriyama fan & she is getting more & more buffs.
Also, "that's Usopp's technique™"
Blamanco: "Am i dead to you?"
He could really be dead seeing the situation with Blackbeard and Weevil
Lowkey, 0 amount of Toon Force, I feel like Luffy’s toon force will be something different than what we comprehend as the usual toon force.
He could more like a comedic fighting style than having straight up TF. Something unpredictable & to counter Kaido's Drunken Mode, like Kid Goku's crazy monkey style. Expect he takes inspiration from many animals, this way he ironically dethrones the King of The Beast/The World's Strongest Creature.
Cue to Luffy stepping out of the manga or cartoon Popeye-style to beat up the animators or argue with Oda himself. ;)
Like the health issues & time schedules of animators/mangaka weren't enough pain, now they got to deal with this too...
Basically like early dragon ball(breathing in space without time limit, scaring the writer, watching the anime & buting a manga panel) expect this is potentially late one piece

i mean i feel like oda just wanted to ease the mood since the build up has been tense, and the mood will go back to tense after kaido awakens from his "silly" beating.
I believe an editor said the fight will reach its conclusion in 1045. So nah, Kaido is getting that TNT-Team Rocket send away
"We're blasting off again"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back