• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

One Piece Chapter 1044: "Warrior of Liberation" (Official Release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and possibly an extra key with "At least 6-A (Effortlessly beat Kaido)" Joy Boy awakening statistics, similarly to what we have done for Saitama.

image0_12-2.png
55I0Frl.jpg
FOePKHZXwAItdof
Apparently Luffy is using Gear 4 w/o Haki.

Apparently Luffy is using Gear 4 w/o Haki.
I knew it- Awakening for Luffy making him feel "full" is literally just "Potential Unleashed" equivalent. No Stamina drain- strongest moves in the book. Unless somehow he ends up drained or something next chapter, but we'll see.
Firday can't come fast enough

Jesus christ HOW MUCH STRONGER IS HE??? 6-A??
Isn't Kaido 6-B+? Effortlessly beating him + mildly reality warping toon force should qualify for 6-A if that is what happens.

- Some of Luffy's allies (Sanji, Kid, Law, Hyogoro, and Marco) feel his presence and that he is still alive.

- A conversation of the Gorosei in the castle of Mary Geoise.

- The World Government has always tried to get the "Gomu Gomu no Mi", but they have not been able to do it in 800 years.

- It seems as if that Devil Fruit ran away from them.

- A member of the Gorosei says that he is not crazy, since the Zoan fruits have a mind of their own.

- The Gorosei says that the "Gomu Gomu no Mi" is actually a Zoan-type fruit, and that its real name is "Hito Hito no Mi" (Human Human Fruit) Mythological-Model "Nika".

- Gorosei: "The awakening of that fruit will give the rubber body even more “strength” and “freedom”. It is said that, it is the most... ridiculous power in the world!!"

- In the chapter, we also see a part of Hiyori and Orochi. The small scene is apparently Hiyori taking off her mask.

- Luffy has awakened the fruit from him and now he feels he is fully. It's his “Gear 5”.

- After awakening, Luffy can use Gear Four even without Haki. (Source: li1il1)

- Luffy vs. Kaido

- Luffy grabs Kaido from the roof and takes him upstairs, then attacks him in a savage way.

- Luffy grabs the ground and transforms it into rubber to return a Bolo Breath to Kaido.

NO BREAK NEXT WEEK!

EDITOR NOTE: The battle is reaching its final stages! Next jump volume will have colored spread + cover!

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ REDON (Leaker)'S COMMENT: The Popeye comparisons is a good one, because one of the things that "awakening" gives Luffy's fruit is "freedom". And that "freedom" allows Luffy to fight as he wants, and in this case (for now) it's to fight as if he were a cartoon, with all sorts of crazy things. And as you can see, that doesn't only affect him, it also affects the enemy (that's why Kaido in one image also looks like someone out of Looney Tunes or something).

Isn't Kaido 6-B+? Effortlessly beating him + mildly reality warping toon force should qualify for 6-A if that is what happens.
I don't believe we can upscale like that, unless the gap between Kaido's rating and baseline 6-A is 1.33x (I may be wrong about the gap)

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I really like the thematics of this. I have a quite good grasp of how narratives fundamentally work and what makes them truth-telling and constructive or lying, manipulative, and destructive (my wiki user page list of fictions that I like or dislike is largely organised accordingly, and I even wrote an elaborate story long ago with these types of underlying points), and One Piece definitely qualifies as a very well-crafted and constructive creative masterpiece achievement in terms of fiction as a whole.

Last edited:
Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I really like the thematics of this. I have a quite good grasp of how narratives fundamentally work and what makes them truth-telling and constructive or lying, manipulative, and destructive (my wiki user page list of fictions that I like or dislike is largely organised accordingly, and I even wrote an elaborate story long ago with these types of underlying points), and One Piece definitely qualifies as a very well-crafted and constructive creative masterpiece achievement in terms of fiction as a whole.
Of course, to almost quote Tolkien, evil can not truly create anything genuinely useful, only defile, distort, undermine, lie, smear, divide, manipulate, degrade, oppress, and destroy, and now the same company that turned Cowboy Bebop from a masterpiece of storytelling genius into a complete joke, and did not even return the original creator's calls to them while doing so, is likely going to run rampant over One Piece in an attempt to twist it into a political weapon, as is the usual praxis for virtually all of Hollywood with their adaptions.

Oh well, much like when the same thing happened to The Wheel of Time, at least they haven't burned the source material (yet), and I love both of these fictions in their original forms.

Last edited:
With Luffy being this strong i wonder how broken EOS Teach is going to be to balance things, Yami-Gura awakening alone sounds OP.
The original draft for Blackbeard, with just the Yami Yami no Mi even the 3 Admiralds together wouldn't be able to stop him & he would be able to turn into darkness; like the other logias have their elemental intangibility. Of course these were scratched early idea

I just love the fact that Oda literally took a big fat dump on all of the theories on what Luffy's devil fruit could be except for the people who guessed Nika lmao! Seeing the confidence of some of the resin fruit theorists get snuffed out was great lol.

Luffy also seemingly healed as well, regen? Would make sense since he's a zoan fruit user.

I just love the fact that Oda literally took a big fat dump on all of the theories on what Luffy's devil fruit could be except for the people who guessed Nika lmao! Seeing the confidence of some of the resin fruit theorists get snuffed out was great lol.

Luffy also seemingly healed as well, regen? Would make sense since he's a zoan fruit user.
It could be a one time thing so we should just wait and see

How is it in any way, shape or form "too Naruto"?
Idk, just all the stuff about prophecy makes me paranoid. Gomu2 being not what it is also left a bad taste in my mouth at first because I liked the idea of Luffy turning such an "ordinary" fruit into an absolute force of nature, instead of it just being something inherently special.
But then again, he already has both Haoshoku and the Voice of All Things, so I'm arguing a moot point/losing battle at this point. That's why I said I'm just putting my trust in Oda, and I'm still loving this current arc despite these initial reservations.

Incase you wanted to know,
luffy looks bulky and muscular, grabs kaido by the neck and punches him, in the next panel we have a close up of white haired curly hair luffy smiling, and in the last panel kaido has a gaggy bump on his head and stars are twirling above him signifying a funny "ko" beating.
Luffy looking like a Greek God lowkey, what a goofy badass

I'm sorry. There are apparently a lot more spoilers. This is a huge chapter, so I will separate it into a couple parts.

Germa 66's Ahh… Emotionless Excursion, Vol. 8 “Mom is on an expedition. Research started!!” On the cover, Oven has left the prisoners' book (open on Niji and Yonji pages) in a room where some of his brothers/sisters are (Prim, Kato, Brownie and Anana). As Oven says goodbye, his brothers/sisters prepare to start all kinds of investigations on Niji and Yonji's bodies (using knives, saws, hammers, lasers...).

Chapter starts with Luffy talking, although we cannot see him close-up. The sound of the drums is getting louder.

Luffy: "What happened?
I... Why?
...How am I able to get up if I lost.
I suddenly feel so much fun...
Ahahahaha!!"

As Luffy speaks, we see in a distant shot that black lightnings come out of Luffy's body.

Zunesha is still with the World Government ships in the sea near Wanokuni. Momonosuke looks at the roof of Onigashima, he's very upset and even trembles.

Momonosuke: "Joy Boy…!?
Do you mean Luffy!?"

Yamato: "Is that... what Zunesha said!!?"

In the “Pleasure Hall” of the Leftbrain Tower, we see that Some is taking care of Sanji (he is lying on a futon). Suddenly, Sanji gets up because he senses something and looks up.

Some: "Eh!
Kyaah!!"

Sanji: "...!!
Hah, hah...
Luffy...!?"

On the Live Floor, Luffy's allies are also feeling something. Kid, Law and Hyougorou look up.

Kid: "What!?"

Hyougorou: "Ah... Is that Straw Hat...!?"

Marco also feels something and tells it to Nami and Tama, who are crying as they hug.

Marco: "Straw Hat...!? Hey! He is still breathing. Nami: "Is Luffy alive!!?" Tama: "Is he really alive!!? Aniki~~~"

We travel now to the Holy Land of Mary Geoise, to the “Room of Authority” in Pangea Castle. Gorousei continues talking about the situation in Wanokuni. One of them wonders if it's worth it losing a top agent and anger Kaidou. Gorousei with dreadlocks replies that it's worth it, especially considering the future that this situation may lead to.

Swordsman Gorousei: "The “World Government” tries to keep the “Gomu Gomu no Mi” with them in every era...
But, somehow, the fruit always gets away.
And 800 years have passed...!!"

Gorousei with big beard and mustache: "It's like if that “Devil Fruit” tries to escape from them."

Gorousei with a spot on his head: "It is possible, since we know Zoan fruits have minds of their own.
And that fruit has the name of a “God”...
The other name of the “Gomu Gomu no Mi” is..."

Blond Gorousei: "“Hito Hito no Mi” (Human-Human Fruit) Mythical Zoan... Model “Nika”."

As the Gorousei says this, in a magnificent and epic double page we see the silhouette of Luffy with the full Moon in the background. His silhouette is identical to Nika's (without weapons in his hands). Although we only see a black silhouette, it's clear that Luffy is laughing. In addition, the sound of drums continues.

Luffy: "Ahahahahahaha!!!"

Gorousei continues speaking, as we see a close-up of the silhouette of Luffy's face. He's laughing.

Gorousei: "His body has the properties of rubber.
And he can fight in any way he wishes... Making people smile wherever he goes.
He is the “Warrior of Liberation”, also known as...
“Nika, the Sun God”.
Awakening will give the rubber body even more “strength” and “freedom”.
It is said that...
it's the most ridiculous power in the world!!"

Cut to the “Treasure Hall” on the 2nd floor of Onigashima castle. Orochi is still trapped under the rubble.

Orochi: "Hey... Hiyori!!
I... I appreciated Oden too...!!
I was... used by Kaidou!!
Let's run away from here together...!! Now take the needles off..."

Hiyori: "My father kept his promise, right?
He believed in the promise you and Kaidou made him to free “Wanokuni”.
During 5 years, my father was dancing in a funny way...!!
Even against his family!!
My father kept his promise!!
He believed in the promise to free them all.
He even endured 1 hour burning in boiling oil...!!
He was always laughing... Even if the life of an entire country was hijacked.
My father endured all that pain alone!!!"

We see a small flashback between Oden and Hiyori.

Oden: "What's wrong Hiyori~?"

Hiyori: "Father, are you fine with every body talking bad about you?"

Oden: "Yeah, I'm fine with it.
Why you ask...?
That's because...
I've got you guys by my side!!"

Hiyori: "Really!? Then let's stay together forever."

Back to the present, Orochi talks now.

Orochi: "Oh yes!!
Oden was such a great samurai!!
As a “Shogun”, I shall honor your father..."

Hiyori: "..."

Hiyori takes off her mask and yells in anger at Orochi while she cries tears of pain.

Hiyori: "My name is “Kouzuki Hiyori”!!!
Be silence, you insolent man!!!"

Orochi: "Ehhh!!!"

Hiyori: "Even at times when I had an empty stomach and putting on broken fabric!!
I live proudly up to my father's name!!
You shouldn't be in “Shogun” position for even just one day!!
You are a pathetic fool!!!
And as your foolishness grew, so are the innocent lives perishing in vain!!"

Orochi is very scared after Hiyori's words.

Orochi: "You're not going to do anything to me, right!!?
Revenge isn't very popular nowadays!!
And even if you kill me, you have no chance of defeating Kaidou!!"

Suddenly, a little version of Kanjuurou's Kazenbo returns to where Orochi and Hiyori are.

Kanjuurou's Kazenbo: "Orochi-sama..."

Orochi: "Huh?"

Kanjuurou's Kazenbo: "I... fai... led..."

Orochi: "Kanjuurou!?
You returned at the right time!! This turns the tables!!
Burn that woman until she dies!!!
What a tragicomedy! Remains of the “Kouzuki”, have you seen it?
This is the “luck” of the strongest!!!"

Kanjuurou's Kazenbo: "Orochi-sama..."

Orochi: "Eh!? Hey!!
What the hell are you doing!!!
Gyaaa~!!!"
Kanjuurou's Kazenbo ignores Orochi's words and instead of going for Hiyori, it goes for Orochi, who begins to burn violently. Hiyori looks at him still with tears in her eyes.

Hiyori: "The “dawn” will come."

Orochi : "Stupid Kanjuurou, what have you done!!! Hiyori, help me!!!"

Hiyori: "“Kouzuki” house... always keeps its promises!!"

Back to the roof of Onigashima, there we see again the silhouette of Luffy with the full Moon in the background.

Luffy: "...
I feel like I can do anything I want...!!
My heartbeat sounds so fun!!
This is my highest peak...!!
This is... “Gear Fith”!!!

Back to the Live Floor, a huge blast of Color of the Supreme King Haki comes from above. A lot of black lightnings pierce through the roof and Kaidou's subordinates begin to fall unconscious with foam at the mouth. Kaidou looks worried at the roof.

Kaidou: "What's up there on the roof...!!!"

In a huge double spread, we see that the roof begins to break and Luffy's arm appears from the hole. The arm is massive and it grabs Kaidou's body in dragon form without difficulty. Everyone looks at the scene shocked.

Kid: "Straw Hat...!?"

Chopper (crying): "Luffy~!!?"

Luffy pulls Kaidou up (Kaidou's eyes popping out, like a cartoon) and drags him easily to the roof. Luffy then increases his muscle mass (as in the leaked picture) and starts spinning wildly Kaidou's body. Kaidou's face looks again like a cartoon, his eyes are popping out one more time.

Luffy stops spinning and starts slamming Kaidou back and forth on the ground, until Luffy lets go him. Kaidou gets up dizzy, with a bump on his head and little stars coming out of it (again like a cartoon). Luffy can't stop laughing

Luffy: "Hah. Hah.
Ahahahaha!!"

Kaidou: "...!!
Straw Hat...!!
You are alive...!!
Thank you.
“Bolo Breath”!!!"

Luffy: "Ahahahaha!!
Eh?
Aaahhhhhh!!!"

Luffy (who has returned to his normal form) is lying on the ground laughing non-stop, but when he sees Kaidou's “Bolo Breath”, he screams surprised. His eyes also pop out like a cartoon, but it's more excessive than Kaidou's (Luffy acts like Jim Carrey's character in the movie "The Mask").

Luffy grabs the ground with his hands and stretches it out, causing the ground turns into rubber. Kaidou's “Bolo Breath” hits the ground, but since it's now rubber, it doesn't get destroyed and holds back the attack. Luffy changes back to his muscled form and pulls the piece of ground, causing the “Bolo Breath” bounces back to Kaidou. There's a huge explosion.

We finally see Luffy full body clearly. His physical appearance is almost the same as always, although his shirt is now white instead of black (we'll see the actual color that Oda gives to the shirt). His hair now looks like flames and he has that "vapour collar" around his neck and under his armpits (like in Gear 4 form). His eyebrows are now curled (similar to Sanji's) and the pupils of his eyes have changed (check leaked picture to see Luffy's face).

Luffy laughs non-stop again as Kaidou stands up. “Gear Fifth” is officially presented.

Luffy: "Ahyahyahya!!"

Kaidou: "...!! I'm sorry for what happened earlier, I was STUPID...!! I didn't want to win like that."

Luffy looks at Kaidou with determination and a smile on his face.

Luffy: "Don't mention it!!
Let's end this!!!"

End of the chapter.

I'm not one to interact much here at VSB, but as a fan of One Piece I can not help but give my opinion about what I thought of all this.

This is simply sensational, there's no way to hate it, he changed the name of the fruit, but didn't change the essence, just perfect.

He put all the theories in his pocket and did what no one ever imagined, and this is all in Luffy's face, so much so that he is laughing, laughing at what? At how much fun it is to use his new powers. The very definition of "happy boy".

This is simply One Piece, people. Oda is simply the best writer alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back