• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DEATH BATTLE! Discussion Thread (2024–2025) (All-time Death Battle Spoilers Alert)

Thoughts?

This is true. Reality warping is featless without any evidence of what it can do.

If it doesn't affect cause and effect itself, it can't affect Giorno.

This is because not all reality warping is made the same, some have limits and some haven't shown proof that they can alter fundamental parts of reality like fate, plot, concepts, logic, laws of reality, etc

4sbfvlec4svd1.jpeg

I think he is a bit too late

Eeeeeerm, Eggbros?
As much as I love Ian Flynn as a writer, he REALLY has bad takes regarding the internal scaling of Sonic. Besides thinking that Archie Sonic would lose to Kid Goku and Archie Super Silver getting dunked on by Base Trunks, he also believes that Sonic isn’t lightspeed and that only Super Forms are consistently planet-level. He takes a lot from shonen writing but hates the large powerscaling dick measuring contests people constantly ask him about.

Besides thinking that Archie Sonic would lose to Kid Goku
lmao what

Unless you (in the general sense, not literally you) believe that Kid Goku is a gag character on the level of, like, Arale or something, I genuinely don't see how one could possibly think this. Especially if you're the one that wrote one of the characters.

It's on the same level as Kirkman saying that Omni-Man beats Superman.

They celebrated SCP's deletion?
Check this:

lmao what

Unless you (in the general sense, not literally you) believe that Kid Goku is a gag character on the level of, like, Arale or something, I genuinely don't see how one could possibly think this. Especially if you're the one that wrote one of the characters.

It's on the same level as Kirkman saying that Omni-Man beats Superman.
Isn't Kirkman more of a troll though? From what I've heard at least, I don't keep up with that stuff.

They celebrated SCP's deletion?
Yeah, a lot of SCP writers have a distaste for powerscaling because they see it as boiling down their emotional horror stories/weird fiction that they pour in their emotions and soul into cheap action figures and a constant flood of “can they beat Goku” type of questions. A lot of writers in the SCP Wiki server shared their experience of this feeling, especially one who I forgot the name of who created a reality warping character meant to explore grief, mortality, and the nature of what it means to love inspired by the tragic death of the writer’s father only for most of the guy’s DMs to be flooded with powerscaling questions and “what is his hax?” and “can he beat Goku?”

Yeah, a lot of SCP writers have a distaste for powerscaling because they see it as boiling down their emotional horror stories/weird fiction that they pour in their emotions and soul into cheap action figures and a constant flood of “can they beat Goku” type of questions. A lot of writers in the SCP Wiki server shared their experience of this feeling, especially one who I forgot the name of who created a reality warping character meant to explore grief, mortality, and the nature of what it means to love inspired by the tragic death of the writer’s father only for most of the guy’s DMs to be flooded with powerscaling questions and “what is his hax?” and “can he beat Goku?”
Yeah, the powerscaling community unfortunately has those sort of people. Doesn't VSBW explicitly forbid contacting the author over powerscaling quetsions?

Honestly? Valid, I totally get that. Powerscaling and VS MUs can be fun, but sometimes people forget that knowing who can punch harder isn't the end goal of fiction.

It is a somewhat... shallow way of engaging with fiction, but that's kind of the point. It's simple, easy-going fun. It might be that a lot of the SCP writers are a bit up themselves consider themselves auteurs, and don't appreciate people stripping back their works to their most basic elements, but at a certain point you have to accept that what you create as an author isn't real, and as a result you can't place a lot of real weight on how seriously or unseriously people engage with it.

Just to be clear, not saying that people should constantly bug authors with powerscaling questions and request, especially if they request you not. Honestly, I think it takes away from the fun and challenge of the whole thing to just try and solve issues via Word of God. But writers, especially people who write for online collaborative fiction projects, should keep in mind it's all make-believe at the end of the day.

It is a somewhat... shallow way of engaging with fiction, but that's kind of the point. It's simple, easy-going fun. It might be that a lot of the SCP writers are a bit up themselves consider themselves auteurs, and don't appreciate people stripping back their works to their most basic elements, but at a certain point you have to accept that what you create as an author isn't real, and as a result you can't place a lot of real weight on how seriously or unseriously people engage with it.

Just to be clear, not saying that people should constantly bug authors with powerscaling questions and request, especially if they request you not. Honestly, I think it takes away from the fun and challenge of the whole thing to just try and solve issues via Word of God. But writers, especially people who write for online collaborative fiction projects, should keep in mind it's all make-believe at the end of the day.
Then you have the Instant Death Author who takes the opposite approach. Speaking of which, how is that verse still on this site? Doesn't that author just write the story for powerscaling.

I'll make this vow right now. If I become a creative, and people start asking me powerscaling questions, my response will simply be "Sorry, wouldn't want to ruin the fun of figuring that out for yourself. Who knows? Maybe you'll glom on to implications in the text that never occurred to me? Wouldn't that be something."

I'll make this vow right now. If I become a creative, and people start asking me powerscaling questions, my response will simply be "Sorry, wouldn't want to ruin the fun of figuring that out for yourself. Who knows? Maybe you'll glom on to implications in the text that never occurred to me? Wouldn't that be something."
Yeah, I agree with you. Powerscaling should be left to the fans.

Then you have the Instant Death Author who takes the opposite approach. Speaking of which, how is that verse still on this site? Doesn't that author just write the story for powerscaling.
Uggh. How many times do we have to learn this lesson? There is no point making a fictional character powerful for the sake of being powerful. You're more likely to just break suspension of disbelief that way. Power needs to serve a purpose, establishing scope, stakes, enabling cool visuals, creating a specific feel, etc., etc. I can make a totally busted character in just a few sentences, but it doesn't mean anyone will care.

Doesn't VSBW explicitly forbid contacting the author over powerscaling quetsions?
Yup:

Isn't Kirkman more of a troll though? From what I've heard at least, I don't keep up with that stuff.
I think he already made statements like this in a serious and non-serious way, i remember he seriously saying in a youtube video that Invincible could beat Hulk because "he can fly"

Yeah, a lot of SCP writers have a distaste for powerscaling because they see it as boiling down their emotional horror stories/weird fiction that they pour in their emotions and soul into cheap action figures and a constant flood of “can they beat Goku” type of questions.
It's quite sad how many great (or generally considered good) stories were corrupted by powerscaling bullshit (Lucifer, Umineko, The Unwritten and etc.).

C'mon, it is just a hobby, you shouldn't care for it more than you care for the storytelling of a fictional work

especially one who I forgot the name of who created a reality warping character meant to explore grief, mortality, and the nature of what it means to love inspired by the tragic death of the writer’s father only for most of the guy’s DMs to be flooded with powerscaling questions and “what is his hax?” and “can he beat Goku?”
The guy who created SCP-682 (I think it was this one) said on his twitter, when he made a Q&A about 682, that most of the questions were of people asking about VSDebating stuff.

On a side note: It's very rare when a story has a omnipotent-god type character that is good, however, when it does, in most cases the character is massively well executed

The guy who created SCP-682 (I think it was this one) said on his twitter, when he made a Q&A about 682, that most of the questions were of people asking about VSDebating stuff.
I mean, the whole point of that stupid thing is that nothing can kill it because it's so adaptable. Anyone with a modicum of common sense could see where that would lead a mile away. Heck, just look at Doomsday if you want the precedent.

Speaking of which, how is that verse still on this site? Doesn't that author just write the story for powerscaling.
There was quite some debate about it in The Death of SCP thread, but it was decided to left this to another thread due to being considered some type of derailing

Since then there wasn't any decisive discussion about if the Verse should remain on the wiki or not

This is pretty much the only reason

I mean, the whole point of that stupid thing is that nothing can kill it because it's so adaptable. Anyone with a modicum of common sense could see where that would lead a mile away. Heck, just look at Doomsday if you want the precedent.
Not every author is aware of the popularity of VSDebating stuff, it is very probable that the author of the SCP also originally wasn't

Not every author is aware of the popularity of VSDebating stuff, it is very probable that the author of the SCP also originally wasn't
Yeah, but a good author should be aware of human nature, and a speculative fiction author would probably be aware of at least the tendencies of nerdy thinking, particularly how nerds tend to a) make comparisons between things from different fictional works and b) become very protective of "their" characters and properties. Combining that with something as inherently provocative and vague as "thing that adapts to anything" should've at least given some anticipation of the inevitable result.

Yeah, but a good author should be aware of human nature, and a speculative fiction author would probably be aware of at least the tendencies of nerdy thinking, particularly how nerds tend to a) make comparisons between things from different fictional works and b) become very protective of "their" characters and properties. Combining that with something as inherently provocative and vague as "thing that adapts to anything" should've at least given some anticipation of the inevitable result.
This is like saying that every "good author" that creates a character who is an anthropomorfic animal knows that this character will "inevitably" have furry r34 of it

This ins't the first thing you think when making a character

Back