• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Chains of Argus • RP Thread

Sylvia let out a sigh- "Fine, I'll flippin'..."

With a bit of strain, a second tail extended out from her behind, extending over to Kargath. The newly formed limb extended to wrap around Kargath's girthy abdomen, before tightening around him, keeping the man in her grip as they plummeted.

"Thank me later, hun! Cause here comes th-" Before Sylvia could complete her sentence, her wings instinctively extended out as far as they could, flapping with all their might to prevent her and the weight she carried from slamming into the ground.

A gust of wind and dust shot outward as the group finally reached the bottom of the pit, causing Jeanne to immediately develop a coughing-fit as her vision adjusted to her surroundings.

"I-Is that... is this... straw...?" Jeanne murmured as she looked down, their fall partially broken by a large pile of... straw and hay, seemingly.

"Thank me later, hun! Cause here comes th-" Before Sylvia could complete her sentence, her wings instinctively extended out as far as they could, flapping with all their might to prevent her and the weight she carried from slamming into the ground.

A gust of wind and dust shot outward as the group finally reached the bottom of the pit, causing Jeanne to immediately develop a coughing-fit as her vision adjusted to her surroundings.

"I-Is that... is this... straw...?" Jeanne murmured as she looked down, their fall partially broken by a large pile of... straw and hay, seemingly.
"I guess they use it when they come in here so they don't get hurt" Noah said after getting there

Siglos gingerly dropped to the ground, his boots pressing against the hay floor. Sylvia had absorbed the impact of their fall, leaving him shaken, but entirely unharmed.

“Do you t-think you could open a-another entrance, Jeanne? In case we need an escape route.” He said.

“I…can g-give everyone, teleportation stones, if not. Though….there range is…very limited…”

"I ain't like those two..." he replied, his thumb pointing at Cain and Sylvia, "Gotta work with what you have..."
"Makes me regret the fact I was born with wings..." Sylvia groaned ever so slightly as she got up, having been a bit shaken by the fall, but not really damaged in any way.
“Do you t-think you could open a-another entrance, Jeanne? In case we need an escape route.” He said.
"I think I could, but since we're underground, I don't know where I could open it..." Jeanne said.

Duine created tendrils of shadows that would absorb some of the shock of her landing and cushion her fall. To further reduce the level of shock she would have to absorb, she shifted her momentum and rolled slightly before springing up and standing alongside her allies.

(Sorry I dropped in late. Pun intended. I was at work. Just pretend this happened when everyone else was falling through.)

Jeanne simply sighed, waiting for the dust and smoke to clear. Once the debris had cleared, it revealed a large corridor that seemingly led onward into infinite darkness, with only a few candlelights to illuminate the way. Various magics would illuminate the walls of the corridor... teleportation magic, for anybody with the knowledge to identify it. Clearly, the residents of this... underground base used teleportation to traverse its areas. Which was likely more efficient, given the size.

Siglos glanced at the runes for a moment, staring at the intricate symbols until his eyes widened in surprise.

“…T-this must be w-where they e-enter there…b-base. Or…perhaps the exit…” Siglos said softly. He crouched ever so slightly, feeling the mana coursing through the patterns.

“…W-we can use these to…e-escape. When necessary, a-anyway…”

"We don't use them, obviously. There's no way an average person would be able to activate them without being atomized or something... so, a trap for outsiders, an asset to the bad guys." Cain said with a shrug.
“Oh…o-ok…” Siglos said quietly. He simply pulled his hand away from the runes, saying nothing more.

“I…guess they didn't really need me here…” He thought to himself. He was glad he forced himself to aid them, but at this rate, it was doubtful what kind of aid had could provide. Sighing, he simply returned to Sylvia’s grip, letting the woman decide their movements.

Siglos glanced up at her for a moment, before his gaze shifted to the magical runes. For moment, he said nothing, his eyes focusing on the inscribed symbols, a focus that only grew more potent as he infused his eyes with a small bit of mana to sharpen his senses.

“…….”

“…I can…s-see the t-trap yes. It's a-a…small deviation from the…normal pattern. Small e-enough that it…w-wouldn't really be noticed, at a glance.” Siglos said quietly.

“…I-it’s…rather well-crafted…b-but I could…shift t-the mana around w-with a…bit of time. W-which would…correct the pattern. D-disarming it…in a sense.”

"There's different ones, though. Magic circles or... whatever, that probably lead to different areas." Sylvia said, "You can probably already tell that, point is... can you figure out which thingy leads specifically to where? Or are we going in blind...?"

"There's different ones, though. Magic circles or... whatever, that probably lead to different areas." Sylvia said, "You can probably already tell that, point is... can you figure out which thingy leads specifically to where? Or are we going in blind...?"
Siglos thought for a moment, fidgeting uncomfortably where he stood.

"...Well...." Gingerly, he took a step forward, crouching over the runes.

"...if I alter the runes within the pattern a bit, I could...a-alter the enchantment itself. I could make i-it so that it displays a...basic image of the area it will t-teleport to. In the form of a... two-dimensional image a-above the circle itself...kind of like a painting." Siglos said quietly.

I-it's a...subtle change, since the two places are already...conjoined in space by...magic. I would just be adding an e-extra function to it. Communication orbs...h-have a similar enchantment to them. "

"And are we sure they wouldn't detect that?" Kargath asked
"What I would b-be doing would o-only be a small c-change in the grand scheme o-of its shape. It's just...s-shifting the mana a-and adding a minor a-addition to it. To a...layman on the other side...i-it would seem as if nothing had changed." Siglos said. Gingerly he coated his fingers with a thin, invisible layer of mana...pressing the lithe digit onto the very edge of one of the circles.

"...Plus...C-Cain said they... probably already detected us, earlier. We d-don't have...too much to lose, at t-this point."

"...It's something, at least. May as well follow through. And worst-case scenario, we can protect you while you do whatever you need to do." Jeanne said, "...If we can."
Siglos's ears twitched ever so slightly, the man taking a soft, shaky breath. He stared down at the runes at his feet...a feeling almost akin to... excitement, overtaking him.

"...I...I understand this...I...I understand...a-all these patterns..." Siglos muttered to himself. His time as a merchant...his time studying at the church...the culmination of all of his long...sleepless nights over the forge. His knowledge culminated in a level of understanding the man could only dream of having as a kid. These symbols, these runes, each and every section of the magic circle was as clear to him as any letter on parchment. He could do this, he was certain of it. The young Everian liked to think of enchanting as an art...and at this moment...Siglos had finally become an artist.

"...Ophelius, guide me..." Siglos muttered. And with that...he began. His fingers...slow...careful...precise, began to drift across runes on the floor, the circle beginning to illuminate itself within the darkness of the corridor. His senses strained, mana coating his ears and eyes as he activated both his Mana Hearing and Mana Sight at once. Like an artist, painting the smallest details on a painting...or a sculptor, shaping the clay at just the right angle...Siglos worked, his fingers stirring and shifting the mana...the smallest glyphs bending themselves to his will.

As he worked...something began to flicker within the teleportation circles...crude lines, soon shifting into elaborate patterns and shapes...soon forming an image. If Siglos's efforts were successful, within those images would lie what was taking place in the areas beyond their sight, on the other side of the teleportation runes.

The process took several, long moments. In which Siglos was more than vulnerable. A slight distraction, much less an attack, would completely disrupt his progress, as well as any...unforeseen complications within the rune itself.

Siglos's ears twitched ever so slightly, the man taking a soft, shaky breath. He stared down at the runes at his feet...a feeling almost akin to... excitement, overtaking him.

"...I...I understand this...I...I understand...a-all these patterns..." Siglos muttered to himself. His time as a merchant...his time studying at the church...the culmination of all of his long...sleepless nights over the forge. His knowledge culminated in a level of understanding the man could only dream of having as a kid. These symbols, these runes, each and every section of the magic circle was as clear to him as any letter on parchment. He could do this, he was certain of it. The young Everian liked to think of enchanting as an art...and at this moment...Siglos had finally become an artist.

"...Ophelius, guide me..." Siglos muttered. And with that...he began. His fingers...slow...careful...precise, began to drift across runes on the floor, the circle beginning to illuminate itself within the darkness of the corridor. His senses strained, mana coating his ears and eyes as he activated both his Mana Hearing and Mana Sight at once. Like an artist, painting the smallest details on a painting...or a sculptor, shaping the clay at just the right angle...Siglos worked, his fingers stirring and shifting the mana...the smallest glyphs bending themselves to his will.

As he worked...something began to flicker within the teleportation circles...crude lines, soon shifting into elaborate patterns and shapes...soon forming an image. If Siglos's efforts were successful, within those images would lie what was taking place in the areas beyond their sight, on the other side of the teleportation runes.

The process took several, long moments. In which Siglos was more than vulnerable. A slight distraction, much less an attack, would completely disrupt his progress, as well as any...unforeseen complications within the rune itself.
Surprisingly... nothing happened. Nothing bad, at least. Siglos was able to complete his work smoothly, without disruptions. However, things were... exceptionally quiet.

A bit to quiet.

Back