• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Star Wars Episode 9: Rise of the Skywalker

BruceTheBatman said:
Clone Wars was great tho. I wish Dave Filoni was in charge of more than just Rebels.
Last year Filoni was put in charge of ALL animation at Lucasfilm. And being Lucas's Padawan (his own words), he has a lot of influence on the Story Group.

Filoni is also contributing heavily to The Mandalorian (even directing a couple of episodes) and is also supposedly contributing heavily to the under production Cassian Andor series.

I've heard, I was just talking about some more recent stuff. I really was not a fan of TLJ and Solo tho. And I really don't like Kathleen Kennedy.

Anyway, if that's the case (I haven't followed SW lately due to being busy), I might start being a SW junkie again lol

BruceTheBatman said:
I've heard, I was just talking about some more recent stuff. I really was not a fan of TLJ and Solo tho. And I really don't like Kathleen Kennedy.
What the hell is everyone's problem with Kennedy? She has no say whatsoever in actual story content. She only green-lights projects and manages the business side of Lucasfilm.

And look at her track record as produce and executive producer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Kennedy_(producer)#Filmography

^ Why do you think she got lifetime achievement awards and honorary Oscars? That is one hell of a track record.

Seriously, Kathleen Kennedy detractors,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRifKEf0xr8

Some of the old novels were like pure hard sci-fi/speculative fiction at its peak. Now I hear that it's being reined in, because again, they sure do have such a high opinion of us, don't they? Like it's being regressed so the new EU is being written at an eighth grade level, because "Star Wars is for kids!" It's also becoming "just as much of a mess" as Legends is with plot holes and contradictions. It's just a side order for the movies, while Legends had its own universe, from the sounds of it. It was a literal world full of atmosphere.

And hey, we're not a vocal minority given the huge backlash The Last Jedi got. And making money is no sign of success. Mark Hamill even compared the films to Bayformers. Measuring it by the metric of "it made money, therefore it's good" is just ass-backwards. And yes, it's not as bad as the Bay films, but it's still just... ugh. I don't wanna see Darth Bane on screen, not unless it's the one from Legends within the Legends continuity.

And don't you dare call video games better than novels. Novels are more intellectually engaging.

@Shadow

"Beware your heart" quote has nothing to do with dark and light. The father is just warning Anakin about his love that will just lead him to the dark path as the visions the son showed him earlier. So balance only existed if you think thre should be equal light and dark so Luke and Snoke and now Kylo and Rey. Hopefully we get some answers in ep 9

Yukaphile said:
the new EU is being written at an eighth grade level, because "Star Wars is for kids!"
You have clearly not read many or even any Canon novels and comics.

Sexual slavery, the implied gang rape of a Twi'lek girl by imperial officers (and that too a main character in a novel), Quinlan Vos visiting a brothel, Ventress having a lot of one night stands, characters being brutally tortured in the comics and novels, a slave in a novel being tortured and dumped into a pile of her own faeces, a pregnant slave being abused and denied food, sex scenes in two Canon comics and three novels.

^ I guess these are all acceptable for kids?

Also, this fixation you have on the new Star Wars EU being immature (it is so not) is just immature in itself. Star Wars was a franchise meant for 12 year olds - according to George ******* Lucas himself. And they still pump out novels and comics with adult material!

Putting mature content on a pedestal and putting down anything that is family friendly is just silly. Look at Avatar: The Last Airbender. It is made for kids. But it is also a show that adults can watch and appreciate. Star Wars is the exact same.

Hello Greedo said is best:

"I hate Disney Star Wars because they are not making content for me and my age group!" is just ******* silly.

Oh, no! A franchise meant for 12 year olds to begin with is putting out kid-friendly content! Oh, the humanity! The horror!

Hamill's opinions on the films are being taken out of context and even he himself is ******* tired of that. He has time and again asked people hating on the new Canon and new films "to get a life" and has also spoken out about how he's fed up of people taking his quotes of context and making it seem as though he hates Disney Star Wars.

Also: Guiness and Ford hated their characters and the Star Wars films they worked on. That doesn't mean we can dismiss the original trilogy as shit (though it is highly overrated).

Johnson wanted to make a bold film that told a good story with no fanservice. And it worked. It was well received by critics and fans alike and shit-stomped Avengers: Infinity War in sales. I normally don't take seriously critical consensus and fan reception to judge a movie. But the fact that TLJ was acclaimed by critics and well received by 99% of the fandom is worth noting.

And, yes, you are just a vocal minority. The backlash is overblown. A large fraction of those lashing back are bots and, of course, it's the internet. People get angry on the internet. The angry keyboard warriors you see on the internet do not reflect how the fandom is in real life.

A few hundred thousand angry people on the internet (a large portion of them being bots) versus tens of millions (potentially hundreds of millions) of calm and sane fans in real life? Yeah, that is a vocal minority.

PS: This is just in case someone decides to bring up the Rotten Tomatoes audience scores for TLJ:

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/s...klash-alt-right-female-characters-1201910095/

https://globalnews.ca/news/4002659/black-panther-movie-facebook-rotten-tomatoes-score/

https://imgur.com/a/H1P7gnh

^ Yeah. A white supremacist Facebook group whose stated goal is to see straight white men dominate Star Wars again.

Well, most moviegoers are dumb idiots who will happy accept whatever you throw on the screen before them. Again, Revenge of the Fallen.

Lorenzo.r.2nd said:
....wtf did i just read.. i mean, i saw post sex scenes, but none of the things uve mentioned lol wtf
Dark Disciple, Lords of the Sith, Rebel Rising.

Js250476 said:
@SolidierBlue man you really know your stuff.
Yeah. I've read all but a few of the Canon comics and novels.

The Canon young adult novels and comics (other than the IDW ones) are definitely not kid-friendly.

^ Yup.

People act like childish silly shit is new to Star Wars. It's been there from the very beginning.

"Yoda was too silly in The Last Jedi!"

The Empire Strikes Back: Yoda acts like a crazy five year old on a sugar high, steals a flash-light, steals some food, and beats R2-D2 with a stick while yelling "Mine! Mine! Mine!"

^ And that is widely regarded as the best Star Wars film.

And it was also seemingly as divisive and controversial as The Last Jedi back when it came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MOA6aHx5mg

People were even accusing the film of pushing an agenda.

It's just sad how history repeats itself.

I remember when the Force Awakens came out. People loved it at first, but some decided to jump on this hate bandwagon a month later, saying stuff like "it's pushing an agenda", "I've never seen such bad acting", "worst film ever", etc.

Anyway, this topic might draw in a lot of drama.

@Soldier to be fair that was a facade Yoda had which he pretty quickly dispelled

That said I agree with Asura we should leave this topic be

ByAsura said:
I remember when the Force Awakens came out. People loved it at first, but some decided to jump on this hate bandwagon a month later, saying stuff like "it's pushing an agenda", "I've never seen such bad acting", "worst film ever", etc.

Anyway, this topic might draw in a lot of drama.
I really didn't mind the Force Awakens,In fact I thought that the lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo was quite climactic despite Rey being able to beat him but I believe it's a combo of Kylo being injured and Rey getting a massive amp from the force.I still really don't get the Mary Sue vibe from her but I can understand why people complain tho.I feel the Sequel Trilogy gets a lot of unnecessary hate and some of it is understandable.The OT,PT and legends I like far more but still I'm looking forward to this movie if it's gonna be featuring my favorite SW character THE SENATE,and hey even if the movie does flop I'm sure we'll get tons of memes from it.

Those kind of criticisms are understandable, but the ones I mentioned are just hate for hates sake.

Something I posted on the forums I belong to.

Does anyone think Rey is gonna be the one to kill Palpatine? I mean, that's a popular fan theory, or a hated one, given how much of a Sue she is right now, and the only way that'd work would be if it was revealed the revelation that her parents were nobodies was a damn lie, and she's Luke's daughter after all. That'd make it more like Jaina and Jacen, though not really. And it'd ensure that at least it's a Skywalker that takes out Palpatine. Probably he was manipulating Snoke in some way. In fact, that's precisely what's probably going to happen.

And the big problem with Legends I see is that those out-of-touch business suits don't care about it. They really don't. Face it, a series of old books and comics and video games and even the newer TV shows aren't going to make them as much money as something like a big-budget movie will, as they've seen with stuff in recent years. So I have a lot of anxiety about Legends right now and the future of the franchise, same as I do with Star Trek. So as long as the new stuff makes cash, there's no way they'll return to Legends. Or worse yet, what if they actually adapt Legends material to the big screen as part of the canon but directly steal it from Legends? Like show the original Darth Bane, make his novels a trilogy of movies? But do like they do with the Harry Potter movies, make all these little changes. So in the end, it's just a bastardized Darth Bane trilogy. I think the chance of seeing Legends on the big screen is nil, given how much it'd confuse people because again, they have such a high opinion of us viewers, don't they? There's also the fact I brought up, that even if they did, it'd bring so much changes as to be like the Harry Potter films, and I preferred the books after Chamber of Secrets given how the tone and the adaptations just... killed the films for me. Face it, it's a very anxious time to be a Star Wars fan now.

Oblivion Lightning said:
Has the Last Jedi been retconned or is it still part of the series?
The only people saying that TLJ will be retconned are the same toxic channels who were responsible for spreading fake news and fake outrage leading up to and after TLJ's and Solo's release.

More reputable sources such as IGN and Urban Acolyte say there is no evidence (at least not yet) pointing to any kind of retcons, and that there is no evidence whatsoever that Abrams and Johnson are at odds. In fact, Abrams did consult heavily on TLJ.

Why would Abrams want to retcon a work he was heavily involved on? Rey's parents being nobodies were his idea to begin with, as confirmed by Adam Driver. So was a lot of stuff in TLJ. The only thing he was supposedly against was killing off Luke in TLJ, wanting to do so in TROS.

Yukaphile said:
Face it, it's a very anxious time to be a Star Wars fan now.
Because of the fandom and the fandom alone. Our fandom's reputation is in the toilet right now among outsiders.

It's hard to be part of a fandom which has devolved into a wretched hive of scum and villainy. I've seen people like Star Wars Junk (who is one of the most positive Star Wars YouTubers) saying that they're ashamed to be a Star Wars fan these days. Even I have felt like that. And it's because of the fan toxicity.

starwarsfanskilledstarwars has been trending on Twitter for a few years now and also the sane side of YouTube.

And let's not forget the saying "Nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans".

Oh please. The same thing is going on with Star Trek. If you mean reactionaries, I ain't a SJW-bashing reactionary. And if you're talking about those bashing people like Kelly Marie Tran, that sucks, but it's not like we don't have a history with that, like with Jake Lloyd and Ahmed Best. I'm talking hardcore nerds that can be polite and don't have to spew hate, but who just genuinely feel worried with all these changes and where the films and the continuity and the canon and whatever else is going. You're also aware most people don't have a YouTube account, yes? Of those who watch these films. I feel the same with Star Trek, as I said. I think whenever STD gets done and they've finished with the Picard series and whatever other shows they've made, the continuity will be shredded. As Voyager and Enterprise showed, the fans will put up with that for only so long before it all comes crashing down.

And yeah, I suspect she will too. Especially since Abrams was behind TFA and she was presented as pure absolutely perfect there.

I never accused you of being one of those kinds of alt-right nut jobs. And those kinds of people aren't the only type of toxic Star Wars fans.

I never said you did. But I do see what you mean when you go online. I can concede that, stuff about YouTubers like, say, WorldClassBullshitters, to name one example. That being said, let's not pretend there might sometimes be legit criticism to be had, and legit anxieties to be feel about a big shake-up in fandom and the franchise, even half a decade later.

https://photos1.iorbix.com/00/00/00/00/02/75/99/71/Sucy-Manbavaran-VvWkJ0UDP-b.jpg

My reaction to this entire thread. How did this go from being sometthing we're all hyped for to... well, take a look above.

@Blue to answer your question, it's because of political reasons to a degree (but let's not go there), but I just didn't like TLJ for a wide variety of reasons, toxic ass fandom aside. TFA and Rogue One I did like though. Really though it's because I don't like the way the people at the top have been treating old beloved characters, other than Han, R2 and maybe Chewbacca. Lando has no appearance until now, Leia is mostly a side character who is shoved aside in favor of Holdo for most of the film (a role I believe should've gone to Admiral Ackbar, but he's killed right away. It was a missed opportunity). While I think fanservice god Luke shouldn't have been included and I get he was rusty, I found it stupid that he died from just projecting himself when even in canon Palpatine has done that himself.

Before you respond, please remember that I'm not a nostalgiatard and I'm not even really that attached to the old films, and I think to a degree you're right. Again, bigger fan of the EU than the Films, such as comics, tv shows and games.

I hear the new EU is just supplementary material to the films now, rather than its own universe. Which is sad given how, I hear, it's built up as much material as the old one used to have, which took 30 years, and has just as much plot holes and contradictions, so their attempts to claim axing Legends is good because "it was a mess?" Yeah, what a lie. And I'm absolutely unsold that you'll find high-quality sci-fi novels in the new EU. I mean, Matt Stover isn't writing for them anymore, is he? I rest my case. He won't "dumb down" his novels for corporate sellouts.

I'm still hyped for the movie... I'm just now going to surprised if certain things in the plot happen for the sake of hyping a certain female protagonist. I'm just expecting what doesn't want to be expected... That's all.

I actually do hope if Sidious shows up in the flesh they have a good explanation... And wait... If the EU is canon to the movies now do we have to edit the profiles ?

I suspect they'll rip off Dark Empire. Also, I hear in the Darth Vader comics, they ripped off the Darth Plagueis novel, so... there's your explanation and why Hayden is coming back. Only Plagueis probably wasn't involved here. So Palpatine can be a more direct villain. Probably will have a line like, "No, Luke/Rey, I am your (great)-grandfather!"

Back