• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Star Wars Episode 9: Rise of the Skywalker

Inb4 there's another big superweapon they gotta destroy, possibly one ripped off from Legends, yet again. Like maybe the Sun Crusher, only the size of a Dyson Sphere. So, a bastardized Sun Crusher then.

hey, guys, i just thought of something really cool. u know how chosen one prophecy states that the chosen one will come and destroy the dark side/sith? well, couldnt this still be the case, since technically speaking, anakin is 'alive' as a force ghost? and since sidious did die, wouldnt he be in a similar state currently? couldnt anakin's prophecy still be active, since we are never given a date or time as to when it will be accomplished? it could mean that it hasnt technically happened, since palapatine is still out there, meaning that the prophechy is still running. if we go by this, anakin should 100% make a comeback in the ep 9 movie.

Yukaphile said:
Palpatine using clones is not original. It's yet another Legends ripoff.
As divisive as that idea was among even hardcore Legends fans, I highly doubt JJ and Lucas would go that route.

Yes, Lucas is indeed involved in the sequel trilogy. It is based on his blueprints for his sequel trilogy after all.

And please stop saying that the new Canon is "ripping off" from Legends. That's just silly. It's like saying the MCU and DCEU are ripping off from the Marvel and DC comics. It's their own damn IP and merely a different continuity. There is nothing to rip off.

So the prequels weren't enough? Now he's gotta do this to the sequels?

It is. Legends did it first, and now it's non-canon. And now they're just shoving Legends elements into the new EU instead of making all of it canon in a separate continuity. Why is that so hard?

Shadowbokunohero said:
wont be getting your old republic for a while.

after IX star wars is going on Hiatus
That series the Game of Thrones writers are working on? Isn't it rumoured to be set several hundred years before Phantom Menace? The rumour popped up on Star Wars News Net and they are usually a reliable source.

And why the hell is everyone so impatient for Old Republic era stuff? It took 14 freaking years after ROTJ for us to get the first Legends stories set in that era. Hell, it took 19 freaking years after his first appearance to get Palpatine's backstory.

Just be patient, people!

I'm keeping my expectatives low, expecially after TLJ.

But with this new director and Palpatine's return now, i'm hoping for some good stuff.

I just hope it's good. Literally all i hope for.

At the end of the day, Star Wars was Lucas's baby. And he didn't like the EU. He was always going to either retcon some stuff or dismiss something as outright non-canon. And Legends was a 4 decade long mess of self-contradictory material and retcons. It had to go some time. It wasn't a question of 'if' but 'when'. Better to start fresh from the beginning of the new era than to leave the carrot dangling and then pull it back like a troll.

The Legends/Canon divide was something that Lucas and the Lucasfilm Story Group as a whole agreed on (Disney was not involved in that decision at all). And it was something they planned in advance.

"Now he's gotta do this to the sequels"

Do what? He built a successful film franchise that is widely beloved and more popular than ever (Star Wars is curb-stomping the MCU right now in DVD/blu-ray sales, for example). He wanted to tell stories the way he wanted to tell them and that is what is happening. He has stated himself in interviews that that is what he always wanted and that he felt no obligation to satisfy fanboys.

I know this is kind of an old subject and off topic, but has anyone watched the OG trilogy before Lucas' changes or remastering? I remember watching them after getting an old copy of the OG tapes in a box set or something along those lines.

I think a hiatus is a good move it gives SW a break so the series won't suffer from fatigue and gives more time to work on whatever is planned.

ByAsura said:
I know this is kind of an old subject and off topic, but has anyone watched the OG trilogy before Lucas' changes or remastering? I remember watching them after getting an old copy of the OG tapes in a box set or something along those lines.
I have. And a cousin of mine has torrented copies of the original trilogy (in their original non-special-edition state).

I don't know if the Sidious ghost thing will actually be a thing, since the Story Group is dead against Sith living on in such a manner.

But it is still possible. Anakin or Ben (to finish what grandpa started) could may be purge Sidious's spirit from the Death Star II throne room or battle him somehow in the World Between Worlds?

Death of the author, bro. That's when a franchise grows so large its creator must be disregarded sometimes, not treated as a saint or a visionary.

I don't hate Lucas by any means. But he's... perhaps too chill, in some ways? Unlike Roddenberry, who was a horribly egocentric control freak, Lucas is... doesn't get the deeper aspects of the lore that makes fans happy. Kinda similar to Roddenberry. Only from opposite ends.

In the end, Legends was 30 years of world-building, and there were lots of great stories, yet because Lucas didn't care, you're saying they don't matter? I think most people would disagree with you when you bring up something like, say, the KOTOR games. My worst fear is Disney tries to remake this with little changes, which is just a pointless cash-grab, or they change it so much that it's no longer the ones we loved. Legends is a universe. It's like one of the many parallel worlds in DC. And it deserves better than the treatment it got and is getting by greedy corporate executives.

I never said it didn't matter because Lucas didn't care. I've also delved into Legends a lot and am a fan. I was saddened when Legends was relegated to a different continuity. I was super excited when I heard Thrawn would be brought into Canon and getting a trilogy of books.

My point about Legends was that it was a mess which was going to be dealt with some time. It's time to move on and stop acting as though someone committed some grave crime against humanity. A fictional universe was relegated to another continuity and the story tellers have moved on create a different (but familiar) universe and tell stories in that new universe. It's no different from how Marvel and DC wrap up one continuity and then move on to another. And it's not like you can't enjoy those stories any more. You just need to stop being angry.

"And it deserves better than the treatment it got and is getting by greedy corporate executives."

I don't know how you can say this when Lucasfilm under Disney is handling Star Wars in no different a manner than when under Lucas, and Disney has no say whatsoever in the content of those stories (they only market them). Yes, they want to make money. So they can tell more stories (and the stories are good). That's how this works.

I would only agree with you as far as the Star Wars games are concerned. Battlefront and Battlefront II were just soulless cash grabs. But EA deserves the blame for that, not Lucasfilm and Disney.

Soldier Blue said:
ByAsura said:
I have. And a cousin of mine has torrented copies of the original trilogy (in their original non-special-edition state).
Same here

They didn't "deal with a mess," they just hurt the fans. It was never non-canon, it had levels of canon. That was fact. They used George as a shield to hide behind to ax it. I am glad Legends has a good start and end point, and given the incompetence of the current crop of writers, that they can't touch it anymore, and who knows, it might be restarted someday by talented writers. But they handled it poorly, and got off on the wrong foot. And just you wait. The new EU will be just as much of a mess in the next few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKTfXp7Wp0k

I'm not claiming Disney is, but I've read a lot of the prequel books, that are now no longer canon, and it's disgusting. They were shoved aside in favor of stuff like Clone Wars and the movies. Because for those in charge, this is how they view canon, what will appeal to those dumb audiences (because they have such a high opinion of us, eh?): Movies > TV shows > video games > comic books > books. It's shallow and meaningless.

Hell, something I actually like is that Luke was a bitter loner, because it makes him completely different from Grandmaster Luke, and now it's possible that Jar Jar Abrams will just turn around and make him the way fans feel he should have been. Hell, this could very well be The Last Jedi 2.0. What fans wish that was. I say they should stick to their guns. And if this is any indication of how the franchise is going to go? Well, there's gonna be lots of battles between directors, and I foresee something similar to the DCEU going on.

My favorite versions of Star Wars to watch is the 1997 Special Edition. Yes, I think they get hated on too much. I mean, have you seen the original effects for ANH? They just don't hold up well... at all. Like Alderaan blowing up. Wahahahahahaha!

I don't get it. How are people okay with the idea of these characters appearing on screen without any kind of connection to their genesis? What made them great? It's just gonna create a huge, contradictory mess that's destined to be disregarded and retconned.

They DESTROYED Legends just to make a profit, and now they're tainting its memory by doing this to what had made it so great, cherry-picking characters and elements to throw into canon that won't matter, given the way Star Wars is shaping up. But who cares as long as those greedy corporations are happy, right? So what if they're stealing your money? Who cares?

Good lord, I hope you calm down....

Clone Wars was great tho. I wish Dave Filoni was in charge of more than just Rebels.

Also, these days Video Games > Books (or any other medium) in terms of storytelling, if I'm being honest

Good lord, I am so sick of nonsense like "hurt the fans" and "they destroyed Legends just to make a profit".

Which fans should they listen to, Yukaphile? A vocal minority who actually consumed all the Legends content? A highly opinionated toxic minority who think they know better than the makers of Star Wars and put Legends on a platinum coated pedestal like it was perfect? Or the silent majority who needed something new instead of being confused by recycled and convoluted adaptations of the Legends stuff? Which fans did they hurt exactly? The tens of millions who continue to watch the films and the millions of loyal fans who put Star Wars at number 1 on the sales charts for four years in a row?

"So what if they're stealing your money? Who cares?"

Nobody is obligated to buy Star Wars stuff and give Lucasfilm and Disney their money. They're not holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy their shit. You have a choice not to. And you have a choice to continue buying and enjoying Legends stuff, which is four decades of expansive material which is still being sold even though Lucasfilm Press and Disney Publishing had no obligation to do so.

You were arguing actually in a mature and reasonable manner before. But now you're just ranting immaturely.

Back