• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Star Wars Episode 9: Rise of the Skywalker

I mostly lost interest in the sequel trilogy, but this has left me a bit more curious.

Huh, I guess their taking inspiration from the DE comics if he makes a return. I'm curious to know if essence transfer will become a canon technique.

Regardless, It seems like Vader's sacrifice is irrelevant in both Legends and Canon lol.

The Mysterious Stranger - Delta- said:
I mostly lost interest in the sequel trilogy, but this has left me a bit more curious.
Huh, I guess their taking inspiration from the DE comics if he makes a return. I'm curious to know if essence transfer will become a canon technique.

Regardless, It seems like Vader's sacrifice is irrelevant in both Legends and Canon lol.
im a vadertard, and i watched the trailer, so the least they could is also bring vader back, since they did that shit with yoda and kenobi a buncha times lol.. ill be pissed tbh lol

Assaltwaffle said:
War of the force ghosts.
i was gonna say "dont do me like that", but i take that back. please, do do me like that. i beg u. force ghosts are one with the force. chosen one as one in the force? boy oh boy, sheev is ready to get shafted tbh

I'm curious to know if essence transfer will become a canon technique.

Let's not make that call just yet. It could be one of the following:

1. Papa Palpatine's spirit is trapped in some object, similar to how Momin's spirit was trapped in his helmet.

2. It could just be one of those red Contingency Sentinel droids.

3. It could just be Palpatine's voice coming from the World Between Worlds or some such World Between Worlds mind-fuckery. There is precedence for this.

At first we thought Snoke could be Palpatine. Turned out he was a chump.

Now they really are brining back Palpatine.

Assaltwaffle said:
At first we thought Snoke could be Palpatine. Turned out he was a chump.
People really thought Palpatine was Snoke? The massive height difference alone debunks that.

Everyone thought he'd be Plagueis but there's precedent for it being Palps new body (Since that'd keep him as the overarching villain of the saga)

That said I'm not happy they're digging up the Senate as much as I adore Ian Mcdiarmond (It feel sodd to shoehorn him into the finale and it reeks of fanservice or JJ using a replacement for his Snoke character)

I'm skeptical enough about this, I'm by no means suggesting that this is what will ultimately happen. It wouldn't be very creative for them to ultimately just use Legends material like that at this point.

Yes, it could certainly be a remaining contingency droid. Although, I'd probably lean more towards the possibility of his soul being trapped in an object like Momin. He might be haunting the remains of the Death Star II, lol.

I'm a bit skeptical about that third possibility however. I guess I could imagine him being trapped within some Dark Side realm though, perhaps akin to the plane Vader entered on Mustafar.

I'm skeptical enough about this, I'm by no means suggesting that this is what will ultimately happen. It wouldn't be very creative for them to ultimately just use Legends material like that at this point.
One possibility I didn't consider earlier:

Palpatine had the Eternal Rur Crystal in his private collection. He could have studied it, improved upon on Rur's work, and attempted to transfer his consciousness into the crystal (or another like that one).

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Eternal_Rur

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Rur_crystal

Then what? I don't know.

Yes, it could certainly be a remaining contingency droid. Although, I'd probably lean more towards the possibility of his soul being trapped in an object like Momin. He might be haunting the remains of the Death Star II, lol.

Rey & Co. enter Death Star II.

Sheev: Hippity Hoppity! You meddling kids should get off my property!

I'm a bit skeptical about that third possibility however. I guess I imagine him being trapped within some Dark Side realm though, perhaps akin to the plane Vader entered on Mustafar.

Rey & Co. enter Death Star II.

Rey enters World Between Worlds and has a vision of a fully nude Palpatine.

Rey is now mentally scarred for life.

Well I have like 25% idea whats going, some plot points have been leaked from a source that has a 90% track record.

Hardcore Legends fanboy here, still upset by all the damn continuity changes. They're flat-out ripping off Legends instead of doing their own original thing. Isn't that what a reboot is supposed to be about? It's just as derivative as modern Trek. Those at the top gotta play it safe so people will watch the crap they sell us so they can keep stuffing their pockets full of Benjamins. To clarify, I'm fine if they wanted to reboot Star Wars, I'm not happy they called Legends non-canon and said it never was (that's wrong), but I'd be happy if they did their own thing. Problem is, to try and please angry Legends fans, they keep throwing little easter eggs into the Disney canon, and cherry-pick elements from Legends to throw in. It's not fresh, it's not new. So that's fully consistent with the level of disconnect they display with the movies. Legends was NEVER non-canon. It had layers of canon. Yeah, George said it was not canon, but he also admitted he left the old EU to other people, and he said that because all six movies were like his children. Of course he's gonna feel more attached to them than other kids at the same school. And now, Disney and Lucasfilm shows little regard for the artwork by treating the EU as supplementary material to the movies rather than legit world-building that's an inferior EU to Legends in an even more inferior movie series. 30 years of world-building, gone. But given the general incompetence on display, I'm glad Legends has a definite start and ending point. It's clear they never wanna return there again, so fine, whatever. It's in this perfectly preserved frozen time capsule, and they can't touch it anymore, those corporate sellouts. Which is more than I say for the 24th century when CBS ruins it with the Picard series.

Honestly I'm happy for them to reimagine parts of Legends but shit like this is whack (it reeks of a desperate attempt to salvage the trilogy)

Legends would have been retconned regardless of what happened, it was only a matter of time.

Saying they ripping off Legends is honestly a shallow criticism considering they are the same IP, it's like saying whenever Marvel adapts or inserts some obscure reference that they "ripping off"

Hellbeast1 said:
Honestly I'm happy for them to reimagine parts of Legends but shit like this is whack (it reeks of a desperate attempt to salvage the trilogy)
that would be true if the Trilogy was critiically and Financially down which it is not, you can dislike the films but to think that they are not liked or financially sound is to be dishonest.

If anything this is just JJ being a fanboy and shows how differently Rian and JJ approach these films

I watched the stream about the panel before the title revel I really enjoyed JJ's story about how he was a SW fan 3 weeks before anyone else.

@Shadow TLJ is an insanely controversial film and Solo bombed with ambivalent reception. That's more what I'm referring to

TLJ is Divisive not hated, yet it's the 11th highest grossing film and compeltely fodderized Infinity War in terms of Retail sales, the latter being also Huge for Disney.

Solo bombed because of the lack of marketing, you can check by deadline's report, Solo had a 89% Decrease in Marketing from Rogue One while having a Production budget higher than the TFA, it also lost only 79 Million $, Retail sales for Solo have already generated over 50 Million, this isnt accounting for merchandise (which were low because they require the film to drive them) Lucasfilm has already broken even and are likely profiting off of Solo.

If anything I think the only thing they have learned from Solo is that they would have to tackle marketing and PR differently and that they cant rely on the brand name alone.

Again tho a divisive film is hardly a way to generate word of mouth and Palpatine's involvement feels like fan service in general

yes I agree it is totally fanservice, mine was more a response on "Salvage" part of your comment

meaning I dont think IX is a response to Solo or TLJ but moreso JJ disagreeing with some of Rian's stuff and doing his own thing.

The way we know this is because IX was being written before TLJ or Solo released

This just highlights the differences between JJ and Rian

JJ is a crowdpleaser, and will do things to make people happy

while Rian would rather tell his own story even if it means disregarding what fans would like.

both these perspectives have their positives and negatives

and honestly dont mesh well.

Js250476 said:
I watched the stream about the panel before the title revel I really enjoyed JJ's story about how he was a SW fan 3 weeks before anyone else.
That was Stephen Colbert.

Back