• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon General Discussion Thread Gen VII: Lusamine is greatest villain

DragonEmperor23 said:
Arceus
"hey stop that shit"

fixes all damage and buffs humanity to tier 6

"better"
And it all happened because someone saw a pack of Cleffa on a night full of shooting stars. :3

....Wait, can Arceus do that? It doesn't have Empowerment, & its Statistics Amplification is, according to its profile, via Cosmic Power.

Also, unfortunately, some humans might still be unhappy, because their weapons don't kill anyone anymore, so their wars don't get anything done except bringing Gyarados rampages to their homes. And even though humanity might be Tier 6 now, their structures aren't....

ProfessorKukui4Life said:
Im pretty sure that if Pokemon were actually real, none of us would need an education in school lol.
Tell that to the actual Pokemon Trainer School and all those Preschoolers and Schoolkids.

Imaginym said:
....Wait, can Arceus do that? It doesn't have Empowerment, & its Statistics Amplification is, according to its profile, via Cosmic Power.
I mean...it gave an entire clans worth of people some of its power so I dont see why it wouldnt.

HenryWong122 said:
Tell that to the actual Pokemon Trainer School and all those Preschoolers and Schoolkids.
Well yeah ofc since they wouldnt be 10 yet. But once you hit 10, catching and training Pokemon pretty much becomes the perfect full time job lol.

Plus, the schools for preschoolers only teach things that are pokemon related, not things educational like our schools do (like math, english, history, english, chemistry, etc.)

ProfessorKukui4Life said:
HenryWong122 said:
Well yeah ofc since they wouldnt be 10 yet. But once you hit 10, catching and training Pokemon pretty much becomes the perfect full time job lol.
Plus, the schools for preschoolers only teach things that are pokemon related, not things educational like our schools do (like math, english, history, english, chemistry, etc.)

THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT OF MY QUESTION!

Honestly, must be pretty lame must be not getting to be a Pokemon trainer (and variants) in the pokemon world. It's like THE dream job for everyone.

On the bright side, not being 10 yet means you get to still live off of your parents lol.

Once that 10th birthday hits ya, you pretty much get kicked out and forced to catch mon to provide for yourself.

Yeah, but you automatically become a hardcore 10 year old who can live in the wild without problems of getting food, avoid criminals, expert survival skills, immunity to diseases, peak human physical condition, and the ability to avoid these mountain destroying animals without much trouble.

Not to mention that even the most bloodthristy and violent Pokemon are only that bad until you sit down and talk things out, after that they are the most awesome people to hang out with.

Unless you're in Takeshi Shudo's novels, then it stops being so easy. >_>;

Aren't the protagonists in the games exceptional trainers? I don't think their situation -nor Ash's- are the norms.

(Ash has gotten sick in the anime & also fallen victim to other stuff the game protags don't deal with as much.)

I'm pretty sure even the games feature plenty of families of 10+ years old people still living together, some with their parents, some not. Not everyone has the desire, nor the talent to go on a Pokemon journey.

I was kinda joking, to be fair, lol. But more seriously, the fact there are many kids and early teens going on the world by themselves, when you consider the amount of preparation normal camping does, is kinda what I meant. True though, not everyone becomes champion, Sun and Moon show with Team Skull those who ended up being failures, didn't it?

Takeshi Shudo's novels take a more cynical approach to this, though, and show AFAIK the issues with being legally an adult, the troubles gym leaders face and other many problems that the other entries in Pokemon just gloss over. A particular dark note is how many trainers DO become failures and end up being deadbeats because they didn't have what it takes to success in a journey, IIRC Ash's dad was a case, who instead being unmentioned simply disappeared.

And even in Alola, I'd be confident you could find 10 year old & up NPCs who still haven't chosen to go on a journey, whether they have a Pokemon or not.

And yeah, I've heard the novels are nice in that way. Wouldn't mind checking them out, or maybe a "best of" sometime.

To be honest, society itself wouldn't be able to work if everyone decided to go in a pokemon journey, there must be a lot of people dedicated to do more mundane jobs even if they are trainers (who likely have pokemon that help out with their jobs, like the Muks helping in garbage processing plants). It's just that if you had to choose between "mundande job" and "magical adventure with woderful creatures" the latter is pretty attractive. XD

I remember that in Detective Pikachu, movie at least, kinda tackled this topic, Tim worked in an office but several people kept being weirded out on why he took that decision, to the guy's frustration, until a bit later it's revealed that it was due to issues with his dad rather than preference.

Shudo certainly seemed to have something with more content for parents in mind when it came to Pokemon >_> Its not "dark" per se, nor messed up, but it can be a surprising slap.

Yeah. Even people not passionate about Pokemon, nor mundane work might go for a no Pokemon life.

Working with supernatural/magical creatures is strange & dangerous. Not everybody would wanna do it. Some might be scared or averse. And adventuring is no easy task, even with companion creatures. Dangerous terrain, tiring travel, getting food & water, being able to contact civilization if necessary....

If there were Pokemon in our world, your phone could still run out of battery life while you're travelling, & you might not have the fortune to have a Rotom-Phone, nor a Pokemon that can recharge it.

You might not have a Pokemon that can fly or cross water, either. Your Pokemon might eat or ruin your supplies.

Many Pokemon can be helpful, but that doesn't mean a Pokemon journey is something anyone can do with any Pokemon.

Oh boy, Pokemon in the real world with all the consequences would be disastrous. Even trying to play with a small one could be lethal given their massive raw power O_O

Imagine an overly affectionate Tyranitar or Gyarados.

Yep, by our scaling, especially. Although, the Pokedex entires & anime have been known to disagree, but, we wanted a consistent tiering system.

One thing that I wonder about is which Pokemon we would ACTUALLY have access to.

If only the Pokemon come, but not the items, then 'mons like Electivire become much rarer, since Electabuzz normally evolves by trading while holding an Electirizer. No Electirizer, & only the initial supply of them exists.

"A single Electivire can provide enough electricity for all the buildings in a big city for a year."

A species that can't be produced that probably likes to fight things dangerous to it, is dangerous to humans... but also eliminates demand for electricity?

Trying to evolve to get it might make things worse, since Electabuzz cause power outages at electrical power plants, albeit, less than half; It's apparently more often error on the plant's part.

With all the Electric-type Pokemon who eat electricity, Pokemon that eat metal, ores, & rocks, the fire, water, ice & flying-types, the energy industry would become much more volatile. Oh, & Psychic types.

Thermal energy, wind energy, hydro energy, telekinetically made kinetic energy.... And all those Pokemon who can massively juice or drain the energy supplies, let alone accidentally destroy the plants....

In such scenarios, Electivire, as practically a living, miniature power plant would be hugely desirable.

Nuclear power plants might also become more viable, since all the stages before the turbine generator don't involve electricity, & I'm not sure how many common, dangerous Pokemon would want to go to areas full of heat, steam & possibly radiation.

Quite honestly, yeah. Imagine how much all Elemental Pokemon could help with energy issues. And not only full evolutions, smaller ones in larger groups could also be a godsend in localized issues.

One thing I've always wanted to think is how many wonders would Suicunes do with their ability to cleanse water to help with our current pollution.

Not to mention elemental pokemon like fire types, water types, electric types etc would probably end the economy as we speak lol.

Im sure if I had a Pikachu or a Charizard, I wouldnt have to pay electric or heat bills.

@TartaChocholate: Given that one movie shows Suicune purifying a whole lake in a single scene -has anyone calc'd its purification feats?- it could probably clean up the waters pretty fast.

Tapu-Fini, & maybe Grimer & some Poison-types (Weezing eats kitchen garbage.) can eat poison.

"The wastewater coming from factories is clean these days, so Grimer have nothing to eat. They're said to be on the verge of extinction."

Sadly, we'd have to find some way to keep Grimer from ruining the polluted water we dispense to them after they suck up the waste, AND stop them from spreading more filth or reproducing. Not to mention, if we can separate waste from water, we can probably use machines rather than relying on Grimer for cleansing.

@ProfessorKukui4Life:

"Whenever Pikachu comes across something new, it blasts it with a jolt of electricity. If you come across a blackened berry, it's evidence that this Pokémon mistook the intensity of its charge."

"Its nature is to store up electricity. Forests where nests of Pikachu live are dangerous, since the trees are so often struck by lightning."

Charizard: "Spits fire that is hot enough to melt boulders. Known to cause forest fires unintentionally."

The safest Fire-type is questionable. Growlithe are territorial, don't do much fire-related stuff, & won't evolve without a Fire Stone. Fennekin has the lowest documented heat (Vents air from ears hotter than 390 Fahrenheit) & Chimchar is merely agile with a flame it puts out when asleep & which weakens if it's sick.

Vulpix are nice & cute... but they spit fire to keep themselves from getting too hot. Everstone is an essential if you want Fire-type heating that's safe.

Huh, apparently, Solar Beam wouldn't work in a Tentacool, since he absorbs Sunlight to refract it with water and transform that into "beam energy"

Hey, i was thinking in making a Blog about the Status that mons can give to someone. Then we could say the status that they can provoke on the profile and link to the blog, what do you guys think?

"(Poison (With Several Attacks, 100% chance with one Toxic Spike), Badly Poison (Only with 2 layers of Toxic Spikes, 100% with it) and Confusion (With Water Pulse and Supersonic, 100% chance with Supersonic))"

This is what i will be doing with Tentacruel's profile, the "100% chance" may be not needed, but i put it there since alot of Attacks are not guaranteed to give that Status, so they should not be part of the main reason, only a support one, but those with 100% are worth to bring up, though we don't need this if you guys think that it is too much for a page

HenryWong122 said:
Did you know that there isn't a single move that has a chance to freeze that is higher then 10%?
I knew already... but looking into it, actually, that trivia is wrong. Or not fully correct. https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Freeze_(status_condition)#Causes

Secret Power used in Snow or Ice has a 30% chance to Freeze.

I knew already. Although, there is technically an exception: Blizzard in the Japanese versions of the Gen 1 games. https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Blizzard_(move)

Technically, Tri Attack also has about a 20% total chance to inflict 1 of 3 status conditions, but individually, each status has about a 6.67% chance to be inflicted. So it's notable for being the only move (Excluding Japanese Gen 1 Blizzard & Secret Power in snow or ice) with a chance to Freeze that is neither 10%, nor 0%.

Pardon? It's been 10% in every generation, & still is. Higher than Tri Attack, but tied with several other moves, higher than 1, & not the highest.

Back