• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DEATH BATTLE! Discussion Thread (2024–2025) (All-time Death Battle Spoilers Alert)

I personally kinda like the setting for Strange Journey due to how out there it is and probably having some of my favorite alignment characters in the entire franchise, same with Devil Survivor
That's actually one thing I think is kinda neat about SMT (I've only played Nocturne, but I know a bit about some of the other entries); they do tend to be a lot more creative with the worlds / settings in a way that Persona (specifically modern Persona, 3 onward) simply can't be most of the time because of how it's premise limits it. Persona 5 improves on that a little bit with the Palaces, but still, you get what I mean.

Araki be wild man, I think he saw a buff cat once and made a stand user based off it
He's definitely a very strange (in a good way) man. I put him in a similar category to someone like Hideo Kojima. Someone who has a very specific, oftentimes unorthodox vision that also has the freedom and talent to express said vision very well and share it with the world.

That's actually one thing I think is kinda neat about SMT (I've only played Nocturne, but I know a bit about some of the other entries); they do tend to be a lot more creative with the worlds / settings in a way that Persona (specifically modern Persona, 3 onward) simply can't be most of the time because of how it's premise limits it. Persona 5 improves on that a little bit with the Palaces, but still, you get what I mean.
Yeah, I get what you mean. Even when SMT goes into more 'grounded' scenarios they are still more unique than Persona's settings (Devil Survivor just taking place in the real world with your main goal just being to prevent the apocalypse, which can be done in any manner of ways from simply solving it like a normal person and saving the day or just choosing to become a Demon Lord and fight all of Heaven in Wukong fashion)

I think someone made this joke earlier in the thread, but if hear some variation of "What kind of Persona / Stand is that?" in this fight, I'm gonna... uh, roll my eyes, I guess? Couldn't think of a more clever way to convey that.
Giorno needs to react to Joker summoning multiple personas or the sheer size of some of them (imagine his reaction to Satanael lol)

Giorno needs to react to Joker summoning multiple personas or the sheer size of some of them (imagine his reaction to Satanael lol)
This makes me want 1 of those chart videos or something like has been done for Pokemon & Monster Hunters, ordering the "Demons" & "Personas" of Megami Tensei from smallest to largest.

It'd be hilarious when Satanael (Skyscraper-sized), Makara (Mountain-sized according to lore, despite models contradicting this.), Jormungandr (The world serpent of myth which can wrap around the Earth. But lacks depictions showing its size in SMT.) aren't even close to the largest things in the franchise.

Probably not the best examples given their lack of depictions, but still, point is some of the things are crazy huge.

Last edited:
The whole concept of the Persona series wouldn't exist without Stands.
This isn't really true, if you actually know anything about the origins of Persona. Kazuma Kaneko and Hirohiko Araki actually interviewed each other, and they discussed the creative processes behind Stands and Personas.
Kaneko: We use demons in our games, but we thought of adding a slightly different nuance to it – “What if we used them as guardian spirits?”. That’s how the concept of Persona was born. We call them guardian spirits, but they are actually great Indian gods or all other kinds of demons.
Personas weren't directly inspired by Stands. They were an extrapolation of a concept that evolved from Shin Megami Tensei. You can even see in Shin Megami Tensei if... the 'Guardian Spirit' mechanic that would eventually become Persona, so there's a very clear and traceable origin of Personas as a concept.

There might've been some superficial or unintentional inspiration, as Kaneko is evidently familiar with JJBA, but nothing as causal as 'Persona wouldn't exist without Stands.'

This isn't really true, if you actually know anything about the origins of Persona. Kazuma Kaneko and Hirohiko Araki actually interviewed each other, and they discussed the creative processes behind Stands and Personas.

Personas weren't directly inspired by Stands. They were an extrapolation of a concept that evolved from Shin Megami Tensei. You can even see in Shin Megami Tensei if... the 'Guardian Spirit' mechanic that would eventually become Persona, so there's a very clear and traceable origin of Personas as a concept.

There might've been some superficial or unintentional inspiration, as Kaneko is evidently familiar with JJBA, but nothing as causal as 'Persona wouldn't exist without Stands.'
Ah, my bad didnt know.

That interview is really cool, it's kinda surreal to see the creators of two series I really like talk candidly like that. Thanks for the link (y)

I still have my bet pulled up in a different tab, I'm prepared. If Giorno wins, I'll , uh... I dunno, buy Fortnite Vbucks for that one big Giorno supporter in this thread. Whatever their name was (no offense).

Yes it was confirm Giorno vs Joker fits that was done but not the rest of it due to RT dying

I'm aware of the RT stuff, but idk what you mean by the wording of this. Are you saying the episode was 'basically done' before the shutdown? Or are you saying RT's death means they couldn't get Xander Mobus back?

Odd thing I was thinking about but:

Death Battles where the fight is the 'focus' Vs Death Battles where one of the fighters is the main character. How do you feel about them?

For example, Blake Vs. Mikasa, Mikasa was definitely the "main character" of the fight in my opinion.

Uhh apparently this is from DB's researchers
This was deleted. Give it to me straight, how does this affect Joker's chances?

I'm aware of the RT stuff, but idk what you mean by the wording of this. Are you saying the episode was 'basically done' before the shutdown? Or are you saying RT's death means they couldn't get Xander Mobus back?
The animation
First half being done but was on hiatus due to RT closure

I ain't all up to speed with SMT scaling.
Would someone be so kind as to fill me in on Philemon?
Philemon is who originally gave Persona users the ability so Summon persona back in 1 and 2. SMT scaling is the kind of scaling chains that get Joker to outerversal according to some scalers who believe that. While personally I don't buy it, if that's how they go about doing it for Joker it not only gives his stats the massive boost that he doesn't need, but layers his resistances and hax in like several dimensional layers of JRPG nonsense.

This was deleted. Give it to me straight, how does this affect Joker's chances?
they think GER does not need to kill for the death loop, so hypothetically Joker gets sent out of the metaverse and dies....but just escapes via the metaverse navigator. Also, they claim GER has zero stats thus it is fodder lmao, and it gets beaten by anyone with causality, so Joker should win ig

they think GER does not need to kill for the death loop, so hypothetically Joker gets sent out of the metaverse and dies....but just escapes via the metaverse navigator. Also, they claim GER has zero stats thus it is fodder lmao, and it gets beaten by anyone with causality, so Joker should win ig
Nvm, i thought it was something serious lmao 🤣

The fact they don't think GER needs to kill for deathloop is huge because a huge counter-argument was how Giorno could even kill Joker with such a stats advantage.

It does sort of sound like that's an argument to be made with the last paragraph in that doc, yeah. Also I find it odd that they're saying GER does no damage when two barrages nearly killed Diavolo, so I'm not sure where that argument is coming from.

Philemon appeared in the Joker preview, SMT scaling 👀
I ain't all up to speed with SMT scaling.
Would someone be so kind as to fill me in on Philemon?
You could argue Joker scales to or above Philemon (even ignoring our current Adam Kadmon scaling), but Philemon himself wouldn't confirm or deny 'SMT Scaling.' Whether Persona scales to the rest of Megami Tensei is contingent upon whether Persona takes place in the same cosmology as other entries and features the same cosmological structures. There is extremely strong evidence of both, but Philemon on his own would not be.

Back