• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DEATH BATTLE! Discussion Thread (2024–2025) (All-time Death Battle Spoilers Alert)

Well know who'll win when the ost drops, it's Therewolf
Unironically I felt the Omni-Man win for the Sun Disk vs Bardock fight when I listened to Solid State Invincible ending, IDK why but I literally was just imagining the Omni-Man "I miss my wife" image when hearing it. Probably due to the fact it kinda just sounds like the type of noise you'd hear someone staring into the vacuum of space to me.

I rewatched Sun Wukong v Hercules recently, and it got me wondering, is this site going to update his profile? Because I think by the new standards here, he should get to around Outerversal in some tabs now.

is this site going to update his profile?

This just needs to be re-opened

Uhh apparently this is from DB's researchers
Wow. Can't say I've ever seen someone argue both that GER doesn't have to kill you to activate the Death Loop and that GER actually has no destructive power whatsoever.

Interesting take, I guess.

Wow. Can't say I've ever seen someone argue both that GER doesn't have to kill you to activate the Death Loop and that GER actually has no destructive power whatsoever.

Interesting take, I guess.
Honestly yeah, that's certainly a... unique way to describe it. Sort of interesting final notes on the reassurances that GER isn't invincible by this person's opinion as well.

Okay, we are so lucky there has been so much support for Journey to The West in English, because I've been looking, and you can't find a good English translation of Investiture of The Gods for love or money. Seriously, my only options are to either read an extremely crappy pdf, that I'm lucky to even have, or just quickly go and learn traditional Chinese real fast.

Anyhow, on the whole GER thing, what exactly are the implications of that interpretation for the upcoming fight? All I got was that you need some sort of timey-wimey BS to beat it. Does Joker have that?

Anyhow, on the whole GER thing, what exactly are the implications of that interpretation for the upcoming fight? All I got was that you need some sort of timey-wimey BS to beat it. Does Joker have that?
It's either "They buy Joker acausality/messes with fate and wins" or "He gets nothing and I lose my marbles over Giorno winning"

Okay, we are so lucky there has been so much support for Journey to The West in English, because I've been looking, and you can't find a good English translation of Investiture of The Gods for love or money. Seriously, my only options are to either read an extremely crappy pdf, that I'm lucky to even have, or just quickly go and learn traditional Chinese real fast.

GER whole thing is Casuality manipulation and Will power fuckery

Joker biggest arguments to resist GER fuckery
Maruki battle
Omnipotent Orb

Wow, this is really shaping up to be the Hax v Stats battle of the century. "Defeat Universal God-slayers with this one weird trick!"
Someone needs to take that Dragon Ball meme of Goku overpowering hax and put Joker in it (if he wins)
which-is-the-most-complex-hax-ability-goku-can-beat-by-just-v0-fylw0es19c6d1.jpeg

I think someone made this joke earlier in the thread, but if hear some variation of "What kind of Persona / Stand is that?" in this fight, I'm gonna... uh, roll my eyes, I guess? Couldn't think of a more clever way to convey that.
I can see Giorno doing that, more-so for the sheer fact that Joker has a bargain bin of personas which any reasonable stand user is going to look at and say "WHAT IS THIS STUPID GIMMICK"

I'm rooting for Joker, but seeing that preview, I think Giorno will win.

The Persona loading screen, the Persona background music, the battle taking place in a palace ALREADY & not for like, the climax....

Heck, Joker being THE AGGRESSOR, AKA the villain.

Death Battle in both music, & setpieces & choreography & what not, pays homeages to both sides, but it feels like we only saw Joker's side there.
& this looks like the BEGINNING of the battle.

Meaning it'll turn around in the second half to show Giorno's stuff. Possibly a time reversal, with Joker being put in a time loop of attacking Giorno, who already sits on the throne. He's on it at the beginning, & at the end of every loop, making Joker's defeat in that manner all the more "poetic"/"cinematic", you know?

I don't like the idea of Giorno winning, but I think that's what's going to happen here.
Astute Observations

I can see Giorno doing that, more-so for the sheer fact that Joker has a bargain bin of personas which any reasonable stand user is going to look at and say "WHAT IS THIS STUPID GIMMICK"
I mostly agree, but excuse you & your wording?
"Bargain bin" implies they're cheap, the undesired or rip-offs!

If anything, Stands are bargan bin Personas, & Personas themselves are Bargain Bin Demons!

Lots of demons can, alone, annihilate most of Jojo by our standards.

If anything, Stands are bargan bin Personas, & Personas themselves are Bargain Bin Demons!

I was speaking of bargain bins in the same vein as Super Saiyans, as 99% of individual demons are shared throughout this verse and Joker has so many that it's an accurate description. (Also they could be bargain bin personas, I'll have you know I made busted builds in the velvet room at a low and affordable price)

I respect the enthusiasm, but I don't think that's what that person was trying to imply.

And besides, I don't think the quality of a power system should be judged by how many universes it's strongest wielders can destroy. It's a very "my dad can beat up your dad" type of argument.

I was speaking of bargain bins in the same vein as Super Saiyans, as 99% of individual demons are shared throughout this verse and Joker has so many that it's an accurate description. (Also they could be bargain bin personas, I'll have you know I made busted builds in the velvet room at a low and affordable price)
I respect the enthusiasm, but I don't think that's what that person was trying to imply.

And besides, I don't think the quality of a power system should be judged by how many universes it's strongest wielders can destroy. It's a very "my dad can beat up your dad" type of argument.
Yeah, I think I getcha'. I was being kind of facetious.
Plus, I just prefer SMT to Persona.

& yeah, it shouldn't all be about power. My bad.
The whole concept of the Persona series wouldn't exist without Stands.
Fair. (Even if Demons did originate in a game from 1987 whereas Stands come from Part 3, the manga of which started in 1989. & I did say Personas, so....)

Sorry if I irritated any of y'all.

Yeah, I think I getcha'. I was being kind of facetious.
Plus, I just prefer SMT to Persona.

& yeah, it shouldn't all be about power. My bad.
Hey no sweat homie, I wasn't trying to hate 🤘

Mainline SMT isn't really to my taste, but I totally understand why someone would prefer it to Persona. Totally valid take

Fair. (Even if Demons did originate in a game from 1987 whereas Stands come from Part 3, the manga of which started in 1989. & I did say Personas, so....)
I think that falls under a bit of technicality and foresight, IIRC the original concept for Demons in MT is nothing close to the more modern depictions which has the JoJo influence.

Digimon on the other hand....

I think that falls under a bit of technicality and foresight, IIRC the original concept for Demons in MT is nothing close to the more modern depictions which has the JoJo influence.

Digimon on the other hand....
How so, for both those statements?
Hey no sweat homie, I wasn't trying to hate 🤘

Mainline SMT isn't really to my taste, but I totally understand why someone would prefer it to Persona. Totally valid take
What would you say is the reasons you think of for preferring one to another?

I lack the means to play any actual Megami Tensei/Persona stuff, besides Dx2, but I've read & watched stuff, & my preferences stem from what I'd call a sense of exoticism, & a hatred of anthropocentrism.

In SMT, all mythologies, rumours & cryptids are real & co-exist.

How do their ecologies & cultures intermingle? How do their alien thoughts differ from ours? How do their powers affect life?

Even if they are derived from human's inventions of fiction & perception, they are, by virtue of existing, their own things & distinct in that.

But Persona makes it all about the psyche of the humans. They take these fascinating beings, & go "Look! Our anime characters totally have aspects of these legendary beings in their personality!" & then have their anime guys & gals copy their powers, parading images of the more interesting beings around, or literally wearing them as just a mask.
Then they go on a typical JRPG adventure with slice of life mixed in.

The apocalypse setting of SMT is overused, but they are trying to make the apocalypses different, I'd say.

To me, using the demons how Persona does feels like casting the interesting in favor of the trite & already treaded. Putting them only into the minds of the humans, using them to represent the characters & making them the enemies to be torn down or tools to be used. Sure, it characterizes the human characters, but the demons feel like they're lessened in what they are for it.

I want to learn about the demons, & I want these fascinatingly different beings to take center stage & see how they are, & what they change.
I don't want them just being used as tools to further some anime characters characterization & give them superpowers.

Not that SMT does ideally, but I still like how it does what it does more.

Perhaps my logic & perspective is flawed & probably controversial, but that's why I prefer SMT to Persona, at least on principle.

Last edited:
How so, for both those statements?

What would you say is the reasons you think of for preferring one to another?

I lack the means to play any actual Megami Tensei/Persona stuff, besides Dx2, but I've read & watched stuff, & my preferences stem from what I'd call a sense of exoticism, & a hatred of anthropocentrism.

In SMT, all mythologies, rumours & cryptids are real & co-exist.

How do their ecologies & cultures intermingle? How do their alien thoughts differ from ours? How do their powers affect life?

Even if they are derived from human's inventions of fiction & perception, they are, by virtue of existing, their own things & distinct in that.

But Persona makes it all about the psyche of the humans. They take these fascinating beings, & go "Look! Our anime characters totally have aspects of these legendary beings in their personality!" & then have their anime guys & gals copy their powers, parading images of the more interesting beings around, or literally wearing them as just a mask.
Then they go on a typical JRPG adventure with slice of life mixed in.

The apocalypse setting of SMT is overused, but they are trying to make the apocalypses different, I'd say.

To me, using the demons how Persona does feels like casting the interesting in favor of the trite & already treaded. Putting them only into the minds of the humans, using them to represent the characters & making them the enemies be torn down or tools to be used. Sure, it characterizes the human characters, but the demons feel like they're lessened in what they are for it.

I want to learn about the demons, & I want these fascinatingly different beings to take center stage & see how they are, & what they change.
I don't want them just being used as tools to further some anime characters characterization & give them superpowers.

Not that SMT does ideally, but I still like how it does what it does more.

Perhaps my logic & perspective is flawed & probably controversial, but that's why I prefer SMT to Persona, at least on principle.
That's actually a very thoughtful breakdown on SMT, I have to respect that. Which makes me feel a little bad, since my reasoning isn't nearly as complex, but I'll try and explain it.

For me, story and characters are what I'm primarily interested in when it comes to video games. People tend to get on my case for that, "Oh if you just want a story then go watch a movie", ya know that kinda thing, but that's just how I feel.

Anyway, I'll admit that I haven't played very much mainline SMT. I hadn't even tried it until Nocturne got remastered. When I did try it though (referring to Nocturne specifically), honestly, the characters and main plot just didn't really do it for me. I can't even really explain why, they just didn't really grab me, ya know? Just to be clear though, I am not trying to say that Persona characters are omg super complex and compelling. They're relatively simple, I'd say intentionally so, and that makes it easier to get invested in them.

Anyway, I'll admit that I haven't played very much mainline SMT. I hadn't even tried it until Nocturne got remastered. When I did try it though, honestly, the characters and main plot just didn't really do it for me. I can't even really explain why, they just didn't really grab me, ya know? Just to be clear though, I am not trying to say that Persona characters are omg super complex and compelling. They're relatively simple, I'd say intentionally so, and that makes it easier to get invested in them.
I can understand that, Megaten is very much "Long term investment for friendships that may or may not survive the actual end of the world" vs the much shorter term investments you get with Persona characters due to the constant downtime and interactions.

I personally kinda like the setting for Strange Journey due to how out there it is and probably having some of my favorite alignment characters in the entire franchise, same with Devil Survivor

That's actually a very thoughtful breakdown on SMT, I have to respect that. Which makes me feel a little bad, since my reasoning isn't nearly as complex, but I'll try and explain it.
Thanks. No need to get down on yourself, though. It's perfectly good & valid to have an opinion, even one that differs from a lot of other opinions. : )
For me, story and characters are what I'm primarily interested in when it comes to video games. People tend to get on my case for that, "Oh if you just want a story then go watch a movie", ya know that kinda thing, but that's just how I feel.
I think I getcha'.
A big part of fiction is the characters. People ditch stories because they can't get invested.
I can really enjoy a good characterization.

For example, 1 of my favorite kinds of characters are those who are serious, unfeeling & without romance. "Married to their jobs" sort.
I enjoy the principle that what they are doing is just their job & that they should do it properly, without giving way to their feelings or compromising it with romance.

It's why for the most part, I've always been fond of The Brave and the Bold's Batman, a few occasions aside. Not only is he a more fun Batman, but The Hammers of Justice are wonderfully impartial & his cause of "justice" is what he's unerringly dedicated to, with little emotion in his way.
Anyway, I'll admit that I haven't played very much mainline SMT. I hadn't even tried it until Nocturne got remastered. When I did try it though, honestly, the characters and main plot just didn't really do it for me. I can't even really explain why, they just didn't really grab me, ya know? Just to be clear though, I am not trying to say that Persona characters are omg super complex and compelling. They're relatively simple, I'd say intentionally so, and that makes it easier to get invested in them.
I haven't played Nocturne, so IDK much about its story.

As I alluded, I've loosely read about SMT & its settings & whatnot. I especially enjoy reading about the "demons".

Last edited:
Back