• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we did say it would come, eventually.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Is Canon Again
Mystery Dungeon's canonicity is more of a side thing, but it's mandatory for the Magnagate argument. I honestly don't see why we removed this at all from the canon; I'm guessing it's because we lack a full-out statement, though. We should talk about why it plays into the verse, however.

After reviewing some material, I think we can make the connection sufficiently without that many problems. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon has this idea of a human world where most of the protagonists originate. Whenever they transform into Pokémon from humans, they go to a world having Pokemon as the dominant species (humans are pretty just fairy tale creatures in later games). All of this is pretty basic stuff that no one will contest. However, one of Nintendo's guides seems to hint at a strong connection to the games. When asked about what happened to the trainers from the games, they said they weren't in this world. In context, "this world" references the dominant Pokémon-oriented universe for the Mystery Dungeon games. The way the response comes across is that the game setting for trainers and the protagonist's human world is the same, in actuality. Both worlds, the human world and MD's Pokémon universe, would co-exist but as separate universes.

When I discussed this with someone, they brought up the fact there's another criminally overlooked aspect (thank you, Purgatory). Link Cables exist as a canon element to the Mystery Dungeon series. Their in-game descriptions even note the use of their IRL qualities, "An intriguing cable used for linking unknown devices. It allows a certain kind of Pokémon to evolve." Not only would this give Mystery Dungeon a similar kind of meta-status for each game's canonicity, but it's the same type of cosmological set-up as the mainline games.

It’s also established in Pokémon’s cosmology that there exist universes where certain concepts do not exist, i.e. there’s two different Sapphire and Omega Sapphire worlds, one where Mega Evolution exists, and another where one doesn’t exist, this can be easily correlated to MD, with saying this is a universe where humans were never a concept (or not nearly as significant) but rather only the pokemon species.

To summarize, Mystery Dungeon needs its place back in the canon: the human world from the Mystery Dungeon games has implications of being the same as where trainers from the games come from, share the same concept of a Link Cable, and have each copy as a canon universe.

Magnagates
Magnagates are very important to this argument because they pretty much confirm the 2-A cosmology. To explain what a Magnagate is real quickly, they are portals that lead to different dungeons each time. They can have some minor discrepancies or even vary wildly such that not every dungeon is the same. The important thing behind them is just how many possibilities they have.

"It is your mission to battle your way through Mystery Dungeons that have sprung up across this world, and to uncover a fiendish plot that threatens your new home and its Pokémon inhabitants. No dungeon will appear in the same way twice, so an infinite number of possibilities can unfold," ~ Nintendo of Europe

There was a brief mention of this in a thread, but the people overlooked the notable aspect. Notably, the Magnagates' size is utterly irrelevant to the point. Unlike what others tried to say, it doesn't matter if the Magnagates are full universes in size or not (they're not). What matters here is the mention of infinite possibilities. Furthermore, the trailer for Magnagates repeats this sentiment. Magnagates, from a canonical perspective, having an infinite number of potentialities is consistent and supported on multiple occasions.

Possibilities As Timelines
I'm pretty sure we mostly accept this idea for the verse. However, I'll briefly go over why possibilities are their differing timelines for the series.

Examples:
The way that this connects back to Magnagates is pretty simple. If each possibility in the universe receives realization as a timeline with the infinite possibilities for each Magnagate, we end up with infinite universes in totality. Like I said, pretty simple.

Reflection Cave
The Reflection Cave is probably the next best argument, but it doesn't require any evidence from other mediums to sustain itself, unlike Magnagates. I'm aware that we already factor Reflection Cave into the cosmology, but it should factor into a 2-A interpretation.

The way the Reflection Cave works is that there is a universe for every mirror in the cave. If we factor the games into how many Reflection Caves we can confirm there are minimum, we get pretty staggering results. X and Y sold 16.49 million overall copies. We can validate that there are at least 16.49 universes connected to the Reflection Cave because of that. While I don't doubt the cave itself being gargantuan, I would be very doubtful that each cave contains the ~17 million mirrors necessary to connect them to each universe once with that being it. What I'm getting at here is the idea that X universe might connect to Y universe that connects to Z universe, but X universe might not attach to Z universe by itself. If that's true, the point is a universe can connect to other universes later on down the line that they don't automatically share an initial connection. This idea would culminate to support the further likelihood that the Reflection Cave participates in an infinite recursion rather than merely being a closed system.

This is more of a supporting argument; I should clarify that. It adds decent support for a 2-A rating, but I wouldn’t use it as the main reason.

Conclusions
From this, we can show that Pokémon has a 2-A cosmology. Magnagates lead to infinite possibilities; those probabilities receive realization as separate timelines based on Pokémon's own rules about how branching timelines function. Reflection Cave gives decent support if you believe the argument too. I prefer the Magnagate proposition personally as it's simple to get behind, though. Of course, this plays back into the top tiers' tiering as they scale to the multiverse's full extent.

If this is accepted, the following profiles will need to be updated accordingly: Arceus, Giratina, Palkia, Dialga, Azelf, Uxie, Mesprit, Darkrai, Cresselia, and Lucario (Pokémon 7). Let's see how this goes.

Last edited:
I have more things to help support this if needed but as I said to Ploz when discussing this, I completely agree with this on every level.

Looks good to me. I am guessing that Kukui will bring up Ash as supporting evidence for the reflection cave. If we take Ash's word for granted this should also be 2-A.

I’m suspicious. Not that I agree or disagree, but I just feel like a premature celebration will cause a bad omen, resulting in this getting rejected.

Or I could just be over thinking things.

I want to agree but before I do I want to ask. What does the Japanese version of the description of the Magnagates say?
The first thing comes from an official Nintendo website that correlates to something that's in the game, so it's not making up its own lore. The minor other supporting evidence was from a trailer. Do you want me to find the Japanese version of said trailer or something?

I'm a bit iffy on this if you ask to me.

The reflection caves are stated to link to just dozen, and not implying the "Ad-Infinitum chain".

Plus I'd need the Japanese version of that because I already checked it and nothing in the RAW version mentions infinite possibilities.

Everything looks solid here, but do you mind fixing the links for the Dia statements? The images aren't loading properly.

@StrymULTRA
That was an in game statement that was never once said and doesn't at all correlate to the gameplay. This comes from an official website and as far as I can tell there is no raw statement of this it comes from the official Nintendo of Europe site.

I'm a bit iffy on this if you ask to me.

The reflection caves are stated to link to just dozen, and not implying the "Ad-Infinitum chain".
No it doesnt. In the anime alone, theres like hundreds upon hundreds of different mirrors inside of it.

And the point of it being infinite is that each mirror in the cave leads to another universe with their own reflection caves, which leads to other universes with their own reflection caves as well, and so on and so forth.

Wait really? Can I see it?
Here you go.

No it doesnt. In the anime alone, theres like hundreds upon hundreds of different mirrors inside of it.

And the point of it being infinite is that each mirror in the cave leads to another universe with their own reflection caves, which leads to other universes with their own reflection caves as well, and so on and so forth.
It can perfectly work even if the mirror are a limited circle made of universes, nothing implied them constantly going to new universes infinitely.

It can perfectly work even if the mirror are a limited circle made of universes, nothing implied them constantly going to new universes infinitely.
Theres also nothing implying that the mirror universes lead back to each other either. And unlike infinite expansion, this point about it being a limited chain is a specific burden of proof.

Works for me. You should replace this in the OP so it doesn't get lost.

Japanese version

ウルトラホールの中には、別の世界へと通じるワープホールが無数に広がっている。そのワープホールを通して、さまざまな世界を探索してみよう! 「ウルトラビースト」と呼ばれるポケモンたちの世界へも、行くことができるぞ!

Inside the Ultra Hall, there are countless warp holes that lead to other worlds. Let's explore the various worlds through these warp holes! You can even visit the world of Pokémon called "Ultra Beasts!

Still no infinite

I mean, it is, but it's more of a supporting statement rather than the main point.

Eh, I'll remain neutral for now as there's no hard-evidence for 2-A, although it does seem reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back