• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why isn't Thanos (with all the Stones) 3-A?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Endgame, he threatened to "shred the universe down to its last atom and make a new one". He very nearly succeeded, had Iron Man not taken the Infinity Stones from him at the last minute.

Considering how important the Infinity Stones are to the existence of the universe, and how Thanos seems to know a lot about the Stones (so this can't be a bluff or misinformation on his part), wouldn't it make sense for him to be 3-A if given all six Stones?

It should probably be of note then that should he actually attempt to do this 3-A feat, it would utterly destroy his future ability to use the Gauntlets since just snapping away half of all life did extensive damage to the Gauntlet let alone all matter in the Universe.

Akreious said:
It should probably be of note then that should he actually attempt to do this 3-A feat, it would utterly destroy his future ability to use the Gauntlets since just snapping away half of all life did extensive damage to the Gauntlet let alone all matter in the Universe.
True. But wouldn't it still make him 3-A? He'd still be able to do it, it'd just destroy the Gauntlet as a side effect. It's the same reasoning behind a Creeper being 8-C, even though its 8-C feat results in its death.

While the gauntlet did sustain damage, Thanos was still able to use it again to destroy the Infinity Stones.

So even if destroying the universe would damage the gauntlet, it could still be usable for Thanos to snap again and create a new one.

Everything in the MCU states that the Infinity Gauntlet is a universal weapon. it managed to screw over a 2-C character, and why would Thanos say that he could do it if he knew he couldnt? plus we have quite a few characters that have feats for stuff they claim they could do...

3-A Thanos for the win!

Akreious said:
He was planning on creating a new universe after destroying the current one, which would require his gauntlet to still be intact.

The main problem is, this statement is made by a Thanos who had never worn or seen the gauntlet used, and when it was actually used, it has only shown 5-A (or even Low 5-B, bit those Revisions didn't go anywhere) feats, with it destroying itself only creating a planet wide shockwave.

From what I remember the tier 5 feats were the Titan moon bust and that was done with 4 stones iirc. We've only seen the full IG perform the snaps and the blast at Thor with stormbreaker.

Thanos still would have done a lot of research on the infinity stones, seeing how effectively he could use the gauntlet in IW from stones he had just obtained.

Js250476 said:
From what I remember the tier 5 feats were the Titan moon bust and that was done with 4 stones iirc. We've only seen the full IG perform the snaps and the blast at Thor with stormbreaker.
There's another 5-A feat with just the power stone iirc

The difference between the actual displayed feats and this hypothetical feat is massive. Plus considering using the stones once left him on a bad state assuming that the power such feat would need wouldn't outright kill him it's... dubious.

The Calaca said:
The difference between the displayed feats and this hypothetical feat is massive. Plus considering using the stones once left him in a bad state assuming that the power such feat would need wouldn't outright kill him it's... dubious.
It is a hypothetical feat, yes, but the fact that Thanos has spent hundreds of years researching the Infinity Stones means that what he said is likely correct and he should be capable of destroying the universe. EDIT: What I mean by this is that he wouldn't make a claim like that for no reason, and he's done enough research on the Stones to know that he would be capable of doing such a thing.

And for your second point, I'll use the Creeper metaphor again. The Creeper from Minecraft is 8-C, despite his only viable method of attacking killing him instantly. If Thanos uses a 3-A attack that kills himself, he's still 3-A.

I'm not denying that he's able to do it, just the time it'd take to actually do it.

If he gets mortally wounded by erasing half of the life in the universe, erasing every atom in it should require much more energy. Probably more than what he can spend to.

The Calaca said:
I'm not denying that he's able to do it, just the time it'd take to actually do it.
If he gets mortally wounded by erasing half of the life in the universe, erasing every atom in it should require much more energy. Probably more than what he can spend to.
Ah, I see.

If he were to destroy the universe with the Stones, it'd likely be instantaneous. Every other time someone with the Infinity Gauntlet snapped their fingers to do something big, the effects were instant. We have no reason to believe that it should be different this time.

Yes, Thanos will probably die in the process of erasing the universe. But the Infinity Stones will still do their job. They haven't shown any limitations ever since their introduction. All he needs to do is just snap his fingers and the Stones will do what he wants.

What I mean is if there's proof that Thanos could poof the whole universe with a single snap, because that's where my question should be considered. I wasn't refererring to the time the snap would need to take effect but the amount of snaps he'd need.

Thanos is the connoisseaur of the Gauntlet, yes, but at that point he didn't experience what the Gauntlet could do before he engaged in the fight to get it. Even erasing half of the life took a massive amount of energy from his part and the new task he wanted to do was considerably more complicated and extensive, not to mention complex enough to toll his body in an amount he might not could resist.

Instead if he tries to erase those who defy him first and then he starts using the Gauntlet with several if not tens or hundreds of snaps to erase the whole matter in the universe, then he shouldn't have stamina problems.

The gauntlet was able to destroy the stones, which survived the Big Bang.

Then again since someone destroyed the mind stone this may not be the most consistant thing

That as well. Or we kill that as an outlier and upgrade Thanos and the stones.

I forgot about the Big Bang stuff.

So just a run down of universal feats for the MCU IG:

Surviving the big bang

Thanos threatening the blow up the universe

Trapping Dormammu in a time loop

Killing and resurrecting half of all life in the universe

Just the reality stone being able to destroy the nine realms, which in the MCU are at least large planets.

One shotting Plank- Err, I mean Captain Marvel. (Just kidding.)

The univeral power seems extremely consistant. Plus, Thanos could possibly survive using the Guantlet this way. He survived wiping all life from the universe, and came out of it with some scars. Then he blew the gems up in his face and was merely scarred and crippled by it. I think blowing up the universe with the gauntlet would fuction a lot like Superman's Supernova ability. A last resort killing move which leaves the user weakened and wounded, a Semi-Kamikaze attack. But that's just my two cents...

It isn't neccessarily out of the question. Why are we taking Vision's word.... He doesn't have any real proof of knowledge on the stone to make such a claim as opposed to the likes of Thanos ?

Otherwise I agree with the changes.

I mean, a stone involving mental and psychic abilities (aka the Mind stone) is bonded with him. Plus, he said he's been studing the stone since before Civil War, so at least a year or two. and he is after all a super adavnced AI. I'm not saying Vision has perfect credibility, but he does have a bit more credibility than you might think.

Plus, Thanos never said anything to dispove this theory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back