• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Thor and Marvel Heavy hitters (4-B and above) speed revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
i refer to the comicvine thread that exists solely to list scans of thor being outsped by subsonics, and i refer to one of the authors saying that travel speed =/= combat speed and that thor isn't a speedster so he gets blitzed by cheetahs
Tom Brevoort has never written a single Thor, Silver Surfer or Gladiator comic book in his life, so he has no authority to speak about these characters

He is the one who writes all the Marvel handbook statistics and tries to keep Marvel's continuity straight, but seeems to do a quite bad job in both regards.

So while I'm here
Wouldn't all of our pages need massive modifications because we're currently using movement speed as our primary justifications and we've now changed guidelines on this to split them unless we have proof?

Meaning everyone might lose MFTL+ combat speed

But if Surfer retains his, shouldn't also Thor since he fought him a few times. Not to mention he can catch his Mjolnir since he throws it and it can fly at MFTL when doing so?

3032581-2536570-2529645-thormjolnir116-speedwhomthegodswoul.jpg

So while I'm here
Wouldn't all of our pages need massive modifications because we're currently using movement speed as our primary justifications and we've now changed guidelines on this to split them unless we have proof?

Meaning everyone might lose MFTL+ combat speed
I'm pretty sure in the same thread some of the people confirmed this to not be the case for the Herald tiers when they are at their peak, especially for Silver Surfer, who has been noted to be able to perform sick u-turns and backflips at MFTL+ speed.

They should be MFTL+ all around only when going all out.

I mostly agree.

The problem is that Marvel's editorial department has never tried to maintain consistency regarding comparative speed levels, so in practice Spider-Man is usually treated as faster than Thor in terms of combat speed, whereas the Hulk and even the Juggernaut are able to keep up with him. That makes it hard to determine who should scale or not.

Maybe we should do something similar to the High 6-C held back tiers, and insert "Massively Hypersonic combat speed while holding back on Earth" or somesuch?

Yeah that's a problem unfortunately. But since someone like Thor has such varying speed feats, there is just no simple way of listing them all.

Maybe we can try to decipher the character's (who is scaling off Thor) other speed feats and take into account the mindset of Thor. Idk this is a hard issue

The most reliable yet hardest method is probably taking all the highs, lows, mediums and finding a mean and then using that... But that would take years to implement

Maybe we should do something similar to the High 6-C held back tiers, and insert "Massively Hypersonic combat speed while holding back on Earth" or somesuch?
See here. We can scale him and other herald level characters from the Hulk's Massively Hypersonic combat speed when holding back on Earth.

But that still causes a lot of issues for the scaling of the verse, unfortunately. Because there are cases where they hold back their strength, but not their speed. (I will see if I can find some examples)

Thor and hulk, both blessing and a curse to the verse

Well, I think that it is far more common that they hold back their speed and not their power (at least against an angry Hulk and full power Juggernaut).

Anyway, given the sheer inconsistency of these characters, I think that "holding back"/lower border statistics are unfortunately necessary.

I mostly agree.

The problem is that Marvel's editorial department has never tried to maintain consistency regarding comparative speed levels, so in practice Spider-Man is usually treated as faster than Thor in terms of combat speed, whereas the Hulk and even the Juggernaut are able to keep up with him. That makes it hard to determine who should scale or not.

See here. We can scale him and other herald level characters from the Hulk's Massively Hypersonic combat speed when holding back on Earth.
Well, I think that it is far more common that they hold back their speed and not their power (at least against an angry Hulk and full power Juggernaut).

Anyway, given the sheer inconsistency of these characters, I think that "holding back"/lower border statistics are unfortunately necessary.
@Zensum @C2_of_Omegon @Eficiente @Qawsedf234 @SuperAPM @Firestorm808 @EmperorRorepme @Newendigo @Ehnkr2beboh @Tllmbrg @Deagonx @Elizio33 @LordTracer @The_Impress @Planck69

I would appreciate your input regarding this.

The problem with this imo is that too many characters will be getting too many speed keys with no in-verse explaination/mechanism.

Sure it works for sentry since he can be far slower than this (his human forms gets a bit complicated) (and hulk too), but for others... eh idk.

I honestly do not think that we have much of a choice. We almost have to do this to get some flexibility and avoid a chain-scaling mess.

We are doing the same thing, but with even bigger scaling chain now. And pretty messy too. It's get confusing.

For every speed tier that's listed, we need to add proper justification and that means we need to link it to other characters most of the time. And those characters are often connected to others. Now we just have multiple scaling chains that goes on forever and ever.

For example, character a fought b, so character a will be getting "Tier X, comparable to ;". Character b scales off character c for his random tier, and so on. But wait, why are we choosing just one of his speed rather than the other? Or why are we giving the new character three different speed tiers?

Another problem is, we are also sticking to the already existing scaling chain, which is where the problem began in the first place.

Tl;Dr I am against slapping multiple speed tiers on every page in this long scaling chain. It will look messy and ugly. Is their current rating any better? Obviously not. But this is not the solution we should be going for.

Okay. Do you have any other suggestions for a solution then?

So,
So far we have now:
  • Silver Surfer and Gladiator feats which scale to Herald level characters
  • Odin gets a higher attack speed
  • Characters like Doctor Strange and Loki get a higher rating with their Astral Projections/Spirit Forms
Idk what the first thing was, I added the Odin thing, and on the last I added it to Loki but Strange's profile is locked. Somebody needs to add a similar text.

", '''higher''' in Astral form ([[User blog:Eficiente/Marvel: Astral Forms|Astral forms are faster than their owner's physical speed]])" right after his MFTL+ speeds.

I added the text btw:

For every speed tier that's listed, we need to add proper justification and that means we need to link it to other characters most of the time. And those characters are often connected to others. Now we just have multiple scaling chains that goes on forever and ever.

For example, character a fought b, so character a will be getting "Tier X, comparable to ;". Character b scales off character c for his random tier, and so on. But wait, why are we choosing just one of his speed rather than the other? Or why are we giving the new character three different speed tiers?

Another problem is, we are also sticking to the already existing scaling chain, which is where the problem began in the first place.

Tl;Dr I am against slapping multiple speed tiers on every page in this long scaling chain. It will look messy and ugly. Is their current rating any better? Obviously not. But this is not the solution we should be going for.
Okay. Do you have any other suggestions for a solution then?
No, but I am thinking about it
@Confluctor @The_Impress

Okay that is unfortunate.

So what is left to do here currently?

I mean thread's just underprepared, and honestly for revisions this big we shouldn't be expected as supporters, to come up with solutions this quick.

We'll have to put this on the backburner until someone's willing to hyperfocus on this, it's basically impossible for us to have any useful input, unless we happened to know the exact issue and were researching prior.

Yes. That is true.

Should we close this thread then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back