• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well to quote the page

For a clear logical basis we know the following:
  • Her strength depends on her self confidence. Which is why she was weaker for the majority of her superhero career
  • Her binary form is her accessing her full strength, but this can be switched on or off and it does heavily effect her power
  • The stronger she gets the more she glows
  • The new movie was her dealing with personal guilt over what she did and it ends with her making up for her mistake. When doing so she does a feat she didn't know was possible for her before
So in my view her strength is confidence based and she was at her peak confidence with no guilt at the End of Marvels.

I'll unlock them when I get to a computer
Captain Marvel+Gladiator=MCU Captain Marvel?

According to visual effects supervisor Christopher Townsend:

“Trying to find the aesthetic for her superpowers was incredibly difficult. We had lots of discussions about how, when she’s gone full binary, which is when she’s fully powered as it were, it should look. The visual challenge was to try and figure out how to create something that doesn’t look just like fire and doesn’t look just like electricity…that also had a familiarity so that from an audience point of view, you can accept it and not question it, but at the same time is spectacular and amazing.

According to visual effects supervisor Craig Hammack:

"I think my favorite shot has to be the first full binary shot we finaled. We see Captain Marvel stream by in the previous shot as an incredible glow and then she turns around and the glow recedes and she powers down."

According to the official Endgame script (page 131):

CAROL GLOWS BRIGHTER AS SHE GOES BINARY, ROCKETING AGAIN THROUGH THE HULL. BOOM! THE SHIP LISTS, ENGINES EXPLODING. CAROL EYES THE BATTLEFIELD, EXHAUSTED, LIGHT FADING.

There are apparently 6 distinct glow levels that were used by the VFX team as her power increases:

7546798-9914287132-test..jpg

@Qawsedf234 I believe you proposed the Varies tier for Captain Marvel, so could you explain what the canonical basis of that is or add the explanation here, so I can then apply it to her profile?
My best try is: [note]
[note] <ref group="Note">Captain Marvel's powers are determinate on both her glow, which is an indication of power, along with her own self confidence in her abilities. Because of this her power is subject to change based on how she views herself. Even during Infinity War and Endgame Captain Marvel was struggling with her role as Kree's Annihilator and didn't have the confidence to face the people she knew on Earth until she dealt with those issues. As such it was determined in this thread that Captain Marvel would warrant a varies rating and her peak level of power is something no one at the times scales to, since she would never have been in a state of total confidence.</ref>

Iron Man's page also needs to be unlocked too
I've unlocked the following:

While it's true that she got powers because of tesseract, it was never her power source.
The space stone does not limit Carol as much as Carol does not limit the stone.
As far as we know captain marvel got powers from a fraction of the space stone power not the full thing and we don't have a reason to assume her powers are linear to the space stone.

According to visual effects supervisor Christopher Townsend:

“Trying to find the aesthetic for her superpowers was incredibly difficult. We had lots of discussions about how, when she’s gone full binary, which is when she’s fully powered as it were, it should look. The visual challenge was to try and figure out how to create something that doesn’t look just like fire and doesn’t look just like electricity…that also had a familiarity so that from an audience point of view, you can accept it and not question it, but at the same time is spectacular and amazing.

According to visual effects supervisor Craig Hammack:

"I think my favorite shot has to be the first full binary shot we finaled. We see Captain Marvel stream by in the previous shot as an incredible glow and then she turns around and the glow recedes and she powers down."

According to the official Endgame script (page 131):

CAROL GLOWS BRIGHTER AS SHE GOES BINARY, ROCKETING AGAIN THROUGH THE HULL. BOOM! THE SHIP LISTS, ENGINES EXPLODING. CAROL EYES THE BATTLEFIELD, EXHAUSTED, LIGHT FADING.
Interesting

I’m confused how anyone is getting star level results for restarting a star that’s so small. Carol is visible in the energy stream she creates as she’s about to hit the star. It’s 6 meters or so. It’s comparable in length to the star’s diameter. The diameter can’t be anymore than 100 meters. Also, what is the reasoning for using our sun’s data to calc this?

The star is smaller than the one in Infinity War, which was already pretty small.

Also, the Russos said that an explosion any bigger than the one we saw in Endgame would kill everyone. The most important person that’s used for scaling there is Thor. They’re essentially saying he can’t survive large nukes

I’m confused how anyone is getting star level results for restarting a star that’s so small. Carol is visible in the energy stream she creates as she’s about to hit the star. It’s 6 meters or so. It’s comparable in length to the star’s diameter. The diameter can’t be anymore than 100 meters. Also, what is the reasoning for using our sun’s data to calc this?
tenor.gif
You like have 0 clue what you're talm about huh 💀💀

Carol is visible in the energy stream she creates as she’s about to hit the star. It’s 6 meters or so. It’s comparable in length to the star’s diameter. The diameter can’t be anymore than 100 meters.
Firstly, even if you were right, they give us an example of the stream's luminosity making it appear far more massive right before she travels to Hala's sun.

Secondly, it was half-formed, and proceeded to considerably brighten and occlude her entirely. We don't even get an idea of the full size because there's a change in perspective and a big jump cut while it's still brightening.

Plus, part of the whole plot was that Dar-Benn planned to waste the Earth's sun to reignite Hala's. She took a solar filament in the first ten seconds, continued until the sun massively decreased in luminosity, and then left the process going for a lot longer. Yet, that didn't even come close to reigniting Hala's sun.

It's clearly not some ******* mosquito sun that a large nuke could reignite.
The star is smaller than the one in Infinity War, which was already pretty small.
I get the feeling you're trying to invalidate Thor's feat as well. In which case, it was a neutron star and designed to be miles wide.
  • THOR: You'll know when we're there. Nidavellir's forge harnesses the power of a blazing neutron star. It's the birth place of my hammer. It's truly awesome.
Also, the Russos said that an explosion any bigger than the one we saw in Endgame would kill everyone.
Citation?

Last edited:
Firstly, even if you were right, they give us an example of the stream's luminosity making it appear far more massive right before she travels to Hala's sun.
No… the perspectives you show make it look extremely close. It wouldn’t need to be very big to give off brightness at that level.
Secondly, it was half-formed, and proceeded to considerably brighten and occlude her entirely. We don't even get an idea of the full size because there's a change in perspective and a big jump cut while it's still brightening.
Her head is still visible. Getting brighter ≠ getting any larger, it’s clearly not.
Plus, part of the whole plot was that Dar-Benn planned to waste the Earth's sun to reignite Hala's. She took a solar filament in the first ten seconds, continued until the sun massively decreased in luminosity, and then left the process going for a lot longer. Yet, that didn't even come close to reigniting Hala's sun.
Less impressive feat on the same small star… yay?
You guys are calculating based on visuals. But no visual indicates that Hala’s sun is anywhere near the size of ours. And her plan doesn’t mean she’s capable of doing it. It’s just talking😂

The perspectives you’ve shown say otherwise.
I get the feeling you're trying to invalidate Thor's feat as well. In which case, it was a neutron star and designed to be miles wide.
  • THOR: You'll know when we're there. Nidavellir's forge harnesses the power of a blazing neutron star. It's the birth place of my hammer. It's truly awesome.
I’m not. He did do the feat. But the star is observably small. Every perspective shows this. I don’t even think the size changes the feat regardless.
Citation?
I’ll get it. I need to find the video again.

Citation?
VFX Supervisor - Matt Aiken Discusses Creating the Crater
2:10-2:30. The Russos are the ones who said they can’t survive a much bigger explosion. I can’t remember what level the one in the movie is, but it’s in the kilotons, I think. Something in the megatons seems to be too powerful.

Citation?

Captain Marvel Power Level - Question 15
I forgot I had a screenshot from this article yearsss ago that discussed captain marvel.The explosions we see are from her destroying the inter workings of the ship, like engines. The only thing we can attribute to her is flying through the ships. It seems to imply she couldn’t destroy the ships without those explosions.

Also, the Russos said that an explosion any bigger than the one we saw in Endgame would kill everyone. The most important person that’s used for scaling there is Thor. They’re essentially saying he can’t survive large nukes
2:10-2:30. The Russos are the ones who said they can’t survive a much bigger explosion. I can’t remember what level the one in the movie is, but it’s in the kilotons, I think. Something in the megatons seems to be too powerful.
Feats in the actual material would prioritized over director statements; going by how physics works, Thor’s Durability must be comparable to his Striking Strength in order for him to withstand his own attacks, so we know he can survive kiloton/megaton explosions.

Iron Man also has a laser that equates 47.8 Megatons of TNT, and Thanos withstood the power surge from the Gauntlet that was equivalent to over 5000 megatons, so we know megatons aren’t “too powerful” for the characters.

Last edited:
No… the perspectives you show make it look extremely close. It wouldn’t need to be very big to give off brightness at that level.
Firstly, why do you think I gave two images, one from space and one from the near (relatively speaking) the ground? It was specifically to account for the perspective of the first image.

Honestly, I don't think you know anything about perspective at all. We can see Hala's Sun in high detail here (with sunspots and such being directly visible). If it was less than a few miles across, do you realise how close it'd have to be to Hala (an Earth-like, self gravitating planet) for a shot like that to be possible, let alone for orbital mechanics like this to work?

For reference, these are Deimos and Phobos from Mars' surface. These moons are both over a dozen kilometres across and thousands of kilometres from Mars' surface. By your own logic, you'd be able to see Hala in basically any of the shots opposite to CM's perspective as she's flying to the sun, but you can't.

Secondly, you can see entire cities and the curvature of Hala. Even if she's half-way across that altitude in either image, 'close' is many, many kilometres.

Lastly, I'm not discussing size, or the size threshold needed to give off light, I'm discussing apparent size. This is a bus from the Empire State building observatory. You can see why I'm saying Carol is so bright that she appears to be considerably more than 6 metres wide, right?
Her head is still visible.
In the first 3 panels, yes. That's why I gave more than 3 panels.
Getting brighter ≠ getting any larger, it’s clearly not.
You ******* see it get larger and brighter. I don't know how you can just look at visual evidence and deny it.
He's including people like Rocket Racoon, Star Lord, Spider-Man and Cap in the first statement. Thor has survived worse, and certainly done worse, than what we see in this video.

Other than that, we don't know what the 'much bigger' nuke that would've killed them all entails because nobody on the actual MCU team (just the Corridor Crew editors) gave an example in the video. For all we know, he could be referring to something like this.
And her plan doesn’t mean she’s capable of doing it. It’s just talking😂
This is just unimaginable cap. If the movie is telling us to believe something, I'm going to believe it well before I believe whatever goonery you're spouting.
I forgot I had a screenshot from this article yearsss ago that discussed captain marvel.The explosions we see are from her destroying the inter workings of the ship, like engines. The only thing we can attribute to her is flying through the ships. It seems to imply she couldn’t destroy the ships without those explosions.
Firstly, those are Kree spaceships. IIRC, we don't even know how durable they are when they're fully operational/shielded in a combat situation.

Secondly, the fact that CM destroyed them by causing internal mechanisms to explode isn't even an anti-feat. The same supervisor also states that she went through the ships 'like a hot knife through butter', so the damage she caused doesn't represent some kind of limit for her.

Third, she massacred the Sanctuary II like it was nothing at a lesser power level, and flew through Kree missiles that are explicitly (and demonstrably) planet sterilizers. Who the hell cares that CM didn't pop a few Kree ships?

Last edited:
How did you manage the destruction of Kree ships?
Malcolm Thomas-Gustavee Creature Supervisor // For the destruction, our biggest concern was always balancing how powerful Captain Marvel is with showing the proper scale and complexity of what she’s destroying. If it looked too easy and the ships too flimsy then its not impressive, but if nothing happens then it’s boring. We ended up finding our best results by treating her attacks as something that destroyed the internal working of whatever she hit and then they would subsequently explode. It’s subtle in some shots, but that’s the logic behind her flying through the Accuser like a hot knife through butter and still demolishing it.
If something this imply that she could have destroyed the entire ship and the VFX team decided that was too "boring" to look at so they went with another option.

No way this guy us still yapping... he's gonna keep derailing with very senseless arguments, let's just keep things on track and finish this up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back