• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Great upgrade a level of wizards

As I previously stated, visual feats should be used as primary feats because they are what we see on the scene. The script is fine, but it is only secondary canon that helps us understand the context, rather than taking it at face value.

If you can't find someone to calculate the feat, then I'd suggest you post it in the calc request thread and hope that somebody will take notice of it.
We can also, when dividing the versions of films and books, add any level of mountain split to the book version of Credence, and leave the film version as it is now, or recalculated.

Yes, thanks, I wanted to do this earlier, but I forgot

I haven't heard about any need for splitting the book and movie versions of Fantasical Beast.
I think that given such different facts about films and scripts, it looks more than fair. Although we haven't discussed this before, why not separate the films and scripts of Fantastic Beats in the same way as the films and books on Harry Potter?

I'm unsure about that.

Unlike the Harry Potter books and films, which follow different canons, the script is essentially a screenplay for the filmmaker to use. Unless you want to argue that the Harry Potter film script differs from the film itself, which I do not believe is very plausible.

I'm unsure about that.

Unlike the Harry Potter books and films, which follow different canons, the script is essentially a screenplay for the filmmaker to use. Unless you want to argue that the Harry Potter film script differs from the film itself, which I do not believe is very plausible.
Yes, the director can use it, but he can also change it, which is what we see in the films. We can also take examples from the Harry Potter books, which were adapted into films, where we will also find inconsistencies.

Moreover, the script for the Harry Potter films is practically no different from the original books. We can take as an example only one duel between Dumbledore and Voldemort and make sure that there are a lot of differences between the script and the film.

Tier One: J. K. Rowling
Original scripts for films and plays set in J. K. Rowling's Wizarding World:
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child's story[7]
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay[8]
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay
Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore - The Complete Screenplay
Tier Two: Based on J. K. Rowling's work
Other films set in the Harry Potter universe:
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (all elements except the script/dialogue unless the actors ad libbed or improvised)
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

· Upgrading the level of Dumbledore and Voldemort to the level of Grindelwald and higher;
I'm good with this
· Upgrading the Credence level to the level of the city and possibly the mountain;
Splitting a generic mountain in half typically gets Town level to Small City level, but otherwise, this should be ok to use (we do have a history of using scripts / novelizations to get the higher end of a feat due to on-screen limitations)

· Adding a postscript to the basic wizard levels is possible a level higher with unconventional and random use of powerful spell forms such as Dancing Feet Spell or Alderton's feat level;
Hmm, this seems fine
I don't think this should qualify for AP or DC (maybe creation energy but that's it), otherwise this looks good
· Upgrade Dumbledore's level with the addition of 7-B with a creation spell;
Good, should only scale to creation energy
· Increasing the range of spells from tens to hundreds of kilometers and increasing the effect of teleportation to several thousand kilometers with the help of portkeys, distortion of space-time using Apparition;
Seems good, but iirc, Apparition does have a definite limit to it's range (hence Voldemort flying to Harry rather than just apparating to him)

· Creating and manipulating pocket dimensions;
Agree with their existence, but they should only be under creation feats

· Scaling spells on top of each other and controlling their power;
Hmm, this is difficult but I can agree with some level of spell scaling

· The relationship between physical characteristics and magical power;
I'm neutral

· Adding to wizards is the ability to absorb each other's life forces when spells collide;
Only the killing curse should have this power, if I remember correctly

· A small upgrade of the wizards level with the help of the feat of creating a tornado that scattered a thundercloud;
This feat right? I'm neutral because as previously said it was a storm CLOUD not a full thunderstorm, although I'd lean towards agree

· Scaling Obscure's Power to the rest of the Wizards;
Hmm, I'm leaning towards agree with magic shields

Last edited:
Upgrading the Credence level to the level of the city and possibly the mountain;
I'd just like to mention that even if Credence destroyed the entire mountain in the script, which I highly doubt, he probably wouldn't be Mountain level. According to this page that describes the requirements for Mountain and Island level, the mountain that is destroyed must have a height and radius of around 3682.55 meters (assuming fragmentation, which would make most sense from the description "break apart") for the feat of blowing it up to qualify for Mountain level. However, the average prominence (elevation from the ground around the mountain) of the mountains in the Austrian Alps, where Nurmengard is located, is 1800 meters. Using the formula from the aforementioned page, the feat would be City level. Even using violent fragmentation, which is unlikely, the feat would only barely reach Mountain level

Last edited:
I'd just like to mention that even if Credence destroyed the entire mountain in the script, which I highly doubt, he probably wouldn't be Mountain level. According to this page that describes the requirements for Mountain and Island level, the mountain that is destroyed must have a height and radius of around 3682.55 meters (assuming fragmentation, which would make most sense from the description "break apart") for the feat of blowing it up to qualify for Mountain level. However, the average prominence (elevation from the ground around the mountain) of the mountains in the Austrian Alps, where Nurmengard is located, is 1800 meters. Using the formula from the aforementioned page, the feat would be City level. Even using violent fragmentation, which is unlikely, the feat would only barely reach Mountain level
Thank you for getting more information about this. I agree with you, in principle, that's why I indicated the level of the Credence city, POSSIBLY a mountain, taking into account some facts, for example, that at the time of the destruction of the mountain, Credence had just started learning magic and there was clearly an indication in the script that he would be able to do more in the future; the creation of seismic waves (a controversial point, but it exists). So I think the peak version of Credence fits the criterion of possibly a mountain.

Thank you for getting more information about this. I agree with you, in principle, that's why I indicated the level of the Credence city, POSSIBLY a mountain, taking into account some facts, for example, that at the time of the destruction of the mountain, Credence had just started learning magic and there was clearly an indication in the script that he would be able to do more in the future; the creation of seismic waves (a controversial point, but it exists). So I think the peak version of Credence fits the criterion of possibly a mountain.
Then we can put him in city lvl and add likely higher to address his peak.

Then we can put him in city lvl and add likely higher to address his peak.
When I calculated the fragmentation end, the result was approximately 4.8x10^16 Joules, which means that he would have to be nearly ten times more powerful to reach Mountain level. Even though he improved, I don't think it's likely that he improved by that much. I must also mention that this calculation only applies if he destroyed the whole mountain, something I still think is ambiguous wether actually was the case.

When I calculated the fragmentation end, the result was approximately 4.8x10^16 Joules, which means that he would have to be nearly ten times more powerful to reach Mountain level. Even though he improved, I don't think it's likely that he improved by that much. I must also mention that this calculation only applies if he destroyed the whole mountain, something I still think is ambiguous wether actually was the case.
It said that the mountain breaking was just the beginning so he could've improved 10 times.

Also, we should talk abt wizards who should scale to credence in ap/dura to also upgrade them.
I think it could be Grindelwald, Dumbledore and Voldemort. I would have hoped for more, but you pointed out above that Credence is out of reach for the levels of middle wizards, so I think this is more than fair.

It said that the mountain breaking was just the beginning so he could've improved 10 times.
He could, but I don't think it's likely, and since we don't really have any evidence that he improved at all (in terms of power), it would be pure speculation which we can't add to the profiles. Also, this:
I must also mention that this calculation only applies if he destroyed the whole mountain, something I still think is ambiguous wether actually was the case.

He could, but I don't think it's likely, and since we don't really have any evidence that he improved at all (in terms of power), it would be pure speculation which we can't add to the profiles. Also, this:
Well, at least at the time of the 3rd film, Credence was able to somehow fight Dumbledore

I think it could be Grindelwald, Dumbledore and Voldemort. I would have hoped for more, but you pointed out above that Credence is out of reach for the levels of middle wizards, so I think this is more than fair.
Yeah, god tier should be all superior to him. The only other we can scale beside god tiers is gunnar who's a high tier but he didn't interacted with others so ig god tiers are all we can scale to credence.

Ahem. While there is no verdict from the staff, why didn't anyone mention the feat from Wonderbook when the wizard used a spell to bring down a mountain on an opponent? https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Mountain-moving_spell
I don't think the wizard who uses it is a high level, so I think it can be scaled to a medium level. Yes, it is complex and long, but some non-verbal forms are able to shorten it and use it as an attack. Why not? This is more like the destructive potential of other powerful spells and spell forms. Moreover, it does not look like an accidental or unconventional use of magic, as it was in the case of an explosion of a village or volcano.

Ahem. While there is no verdict from the staff, why didn't anyone mention the feat from Wonderbook when the wizard used a spell to bring down a mountain on an opponent? https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Mountain-moving_spell
Feat looks fine at a glance, but we only saw one instance of this spell being used, so I'm unsure if this can be scaled to anything. It is probably fine to just mention it on the verse page.

Feat looks fine at a glance, but we only saw one instance of this spell being used, so I'm unsure if this can be scaled to anything. It is probably fine to just mention it on the verse page.
I would agree with you, but if we compare with spells that blew up a village or a volcano (as we agreed to attribute them to an unconventional or random level of magic use in the verse profile), it turns out that this example differs from them in that this spell was not done accidentally or unconventionally: it was quite intended and purposefully. I do not think that this is some kind of complex spell, that an unknown wizard knows it, but Dumbledore, for example, who knows more than a thousand spells and is recognized as the wisest wizard of all time, cannot know it. Yes, we have seen an isolated case of using this spell, but we cannot say that this spell cannot be used by any other wizard, simply because it could have been left behind the scenes or simply not used on occasion. With the same confidence, we can say that they lied about Albus that he knows more than a thousand spells, but obviously this is not the case.

I think this particular spell can be scaled up to medium, or rather high-level wizards (due to its complexity). And it will be more like the truth if we recognize the feat of Credence from the script

Yes, it is a spell intended to hurt the opponent, but the situation around it is pretty ambigious. Like how big of a mountain the spell can lift, how high it was lifted, and were there any other instances where it was used, are there any similar spells at this level, etc.?

Sure, you could assume that wizard is not as skilled as Dumbledore or Voldemort, but you can not claim that those two know these spells simply because they are better than most wizards without evidence.

You could argue that it was left behind the scenes or that people forgot about it, but the nature of the spells was never clearly explained in the first place. All that was said was that this wizard attempted to drop a mountain on his opponent's head, but his wand became disabled, and he lost. If we don't see what happens, then why make up all these assumptions?

Yes, it is a spell intended to hurt the opponent, but the situation around it is pretty ambigious. Like how big of a mountain the spell can lift, how high it was lifted, and were there any other instances where it was used, are there any similar spells at this level, etc.?

Sure, you could assume that wizard is not as skilled as Dumbledore or Voldemort, but you can not claim that those two know these spells simply because they are better than most wizards without evidence.

You could argue that it was left behind the scenes or that people forgot about it, but the nature of the spells was never clearly explained in the first place. All that was said was that this wizard attempted to drop a mountain on his opponent's head, but his wand became disabled, and he lost. If we don't see what happens, then why make up all these assumptions?
We can take the averages. But the fact remains. The wizard affected an entire mountain. Well, such spells, as we have already discussed, can really be. The example of Credence and Vesuvius.

We know that Dumbledore knows about a thousand spells, and Voldemort knows about horcruxes that Albus didn't know about.

Why is that? We know that he was trying to pull the mountain out of the ground.

I'm not denying any of those feats; I'm saying that putting them on the same power level doesn't really make sense when they are completely different feats. Credence "barely" split a mountain as shown in the movie, Vesuvius feat is ambiguous and probably won't scale to anything else.

Knowing a thousand spells is meaningless if we don't know what any of them do. Horcruxes are unknown to most wizards, but knowing one area does not imply knowing everything else.

The emphasis is on the word "trying." The narrator's statement is everything we know about the spell, and no further details about the spells were provided.

I'm not denying any of those feats; I'm saying that putting them on the same power level doesn't really make sense when they are completely different feats. Credence "barely" split a mountain as shown in the movie, Vesuvius feat is ambiguous and probably won't scale to anything else.

Knowing a thousand spells is meaningless if we don't know what any of them do. Horcruxes are unknown to most wizards, but knowing one area does not imply knowing everything else.

The emphasis is on the word "trying." The narrator's statement is everything we know about the spell, and no further details about the spells were provided.
These are different skills, yes, but about the same level. I just want to say that this feat does not exaggerate the others and looks real against the background of the others. I still don't agree with the fact that we equate the script and the film, which shows completely different levels. In the film, Credence break apart the mountainside, in the script - break apart the mountain.

I mean, high-level wizards are wise and obviously need to know such spells. With the same confidence, we can say that Dumbledore cannot use the Stunning Spell or Hellfire because he did not show it.

Isn't the specified words enough? After all, more than half of the game is text, not visual accompaniment.

I don't know why you're claiming they are at the same level when the actual results are very different. The Vesuvius feat is around High 7-A, while Credence's feat, despite not being re-calculated yet, likely won't be anywhere in 7-A. For example, you could have a bunch of "mountain-level" feats with varying results, and not all of them have to be 7-A.

Now, I don't want to be a nitpicker, and I have nothing against Harry Potter or its supporters, but I will be straight here: you might be misunderstanding the semantics of Credence's feat.

Your claim is "Credence breaks apart the mountain," aka the mountain is blown up and fragmented, something like this. It would be at least in Low 7-B tier.

However, the exact line in the script is "breaks apart the mountain opposite," stating that only the side of the mountain was destroyed and not the entire thing. This is literally what happens in the film, and the filmmaker followed the script exactly. Unless the feat was recalculated, it is only in the 8-C tier now.

Being wise and competent is not synonymous with knowing everything. Spells like stunning, freezing, and so on are very common and taught to Hogwarts students, so we can assume that Dumbledore is familiar with them even if we have never seen him use them. Less common spells, on the other hand, are a different story because most wizards do not have access to them, so we cannot say trained wizards can use them simply because they are skilled without evidence.

This is about the mountain-moving spell in particular, not the overall competence of trained wizards. Because the spell itself does not provide us with enough detail to work with in the first place, assumption is all we can do, which is not a good practice. The other half of the game still provides enough visuals to help us understand what is going on. It's just that the moutain-moving spell was never the focus of the game; it showed up once, failed, and then the game moved on.

I don't know why you're claiming they are at the same level when the actual results are very different. The Vesuvius feat is around High 7-A, while Credence's feat, despite not being re-calculated yet, likely won't be anywhere in 7-A. For example, you could have a bunch of "mountain-level" feats with varying results, and not all of them have to be 7-A.

Now, I don't want to be a nitpicker, and I have nothing against Harry Potter or its supporters, but I will be straight here: you might be misunderstanding the semantics of Credence's feat.

Your claim is "Credence breaks apart the mountain," aka the mountain is blown up and fragmented, something like this. It would be at least in Low 7-B tier.

However, the exact line in the script is "breaks apart the mountain opposite," stating that only the side of the mountain was destroyed and not the entire thing. This is literally what happens in the film, and the filmmaker followed the script exactly. Unless the feat was recalculated, it is only in the 8-C tier now.
Well, I think you've already realized that I disagree with you about Credence) Above, the members of our topic and I found out that the feat of Credence will be somewhere at the city level, if we take into account not the highest height of the mountains near the castle of Grindelwald.

As for the levels, I mean that the difference is not that big. It won't be a sudden leap between a city block and a mountain.

I don't see any point in arguing about Credence's feat again, because we've already decided that he really should have a higher level from the script than from the film. I think Credence cut the mountain in half, or at least into pieces. But nevertheless, your minimum is fair. "breaks apart the mountain opposite" doesn't mean anything yet. What makes you think that, anyway? As I wrote above, he just cut it into pieces, looking at it from the front side. That's all. And, again, in the film, the mountain is not exactly opposite to Credence and he breaks not her, but her slope, which is a big difference.
Being wise and competent is not synonymous with knowing everything. Spells like stunning, freezing, and so on are very common and taught to Hogwarts students, so we can assume that Dumbledore is familiar with them even if we have never seen him use them. Less common spells, on the other hand, are a different story because most wizards do not have access to them, so we cannot say trained wizards can use them simply because they are skilled without evidence.

This is about the mountain-moving spell in particular, not the overall competence of trained wizards. Because the spell itself does not provide us with enough detail to work with in the first place, assumption is all we can do, which is not a good practice. The other half of the game still provides enough visuals to help us understand what is going on. It's just that the moutain-moving spell was never the focus of the game; it showed up once, failed, and then the game moved on.
However, we also cannot know if the mountain shifting spell is somehow special or difficult to learn, such as horcruxes (at least because it is dark and ancient magic), since it is a common charm spell. We also don't know if he still has access to this spell, because it was demonstrated once after the original series as a complex and long-lasting verbal spell. Obviously, we are being pushed to the idea that this spell is not very popular to use due to its ineffectiveness, for example, against Expelliarmus (as shown). Dumbledore, for example, introduced himself to us (readers) like the wisest wizard who knows every spell. I don't think at this level of the idea of the wisest wizard, this wizard who uses the mountain moving spell is more knowledgeable in charm spells. However, I still don't understand why it's not enough for you to be told what this spell does.

In general, I don't think we will come to any conclusion that will satisfy both sides, so we need more opinions on this.

My intention when writing this was not to prove that the feat was City level, but to show that even as an absolute high-end, the feat wouldn't be Mountain level like some posts seemed to imply. My opinion is, and has always been, that Credence very likely didn't destroy the whole mountain, and I think James makes perfect sense here.

My intention when writing this was not to prove that the feat was City level, but to show that even as an absolute high-end, the feat wouldn't be Mountain level like some posts seemed to imply. My opinion is, and has always been, that Credence very likely didn't destroy the whole mountain, and I think James makes perfect sense here.
Well, I've already asked one person to calculate the Credence feat from the script. So let's see what happens. In any case, the staff has not yet expressed their opinion on this matter

Back