• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Upgrading the level of physical durability of wizards

So, let's start with the fact that, according to Newt Scamander's direct words, wizards are physically different from ordinary people. There were a lot of prerequisites in the books that wizards could not die in the usual ways. For example, when Hagrid was told that Harry's parents had died in a car accident, he just grinned and was surprised, clearly making it clear that this simply could not be.

Firstly, I want to draw attention to the Prisoner of Azkaban, where, because of Peter Pettigrew, Sirius Black was accused of killing many people and blowing up the street. I know that there is already a calculation on this topic, but for some reason they did not take it into account, then Sirius (who, as we know, did not arrange the explosion) stood near Wormtail and wanted to punish him for betraying the Potters. But Peter blew up the street before Sirius could do anything, and sneaked into the sewers. I want to draw your attention to the fact that Black was standing right next to the explosion and was not injured in any way, moreover, he survived the explosion without any magic shield. I do not know how true this statement is, but it is a clear physical Durability in the level of the building.

Secondly,
do you remember how in the Order of the Phoenix McGonagall was shot with four Stunning spells at once?
bOYyMl0pV90.jpg
Zjc7H8j_J3E.jpg

This is a very powerful feat, because in the Goblet of Fire we learn that these very spells put dragons to sleep, that is, pierced them.
K_i7ghvBfds.jpg
FHWlNSCMtpc.jpg

And what do we have in terms of dragon Durability? I don't know if there was a calculation for this feat, but in Deathly Hallows, the dragon who guarded Gringotts' safe then tore the entire cave into small pieces and made his way with his body from a thick layer of stone (yes, Harry, Ron and Hermione helped him, but nevertheless, he specifically put more emphasis on it). I don't want to count the energy of this feat (I'm bad at mathematical calculations), but I can assume that at least a building will come out, or even more, because when the dragon flew out of the cave, when he finally broke out, he destroyed the entire bank with one flutter of wings, in my opinion.
sWcQn2lks6M.jpg
d3FW8NLy3CI.jpg

Based on this, Minerva withstood at least a similar power or even more, being without a magic shield (she did not have time to put it up). Yes, after she was, of course, sent to the hospital: she was very badly hurt. But she was still alive. Therefore, the average wizard, I think, will withstand such shots without any problems. For example, Severus Snape, I think, would have withstood such a blow, because he is younger and stronger than Minerva.
I think that it is possible for wizards to raise the level of physical durability to the level of a large building based on the evidence I have given and further strength with magic shields, because it is based on physical Durability.

If this is possible, then please let's discuss it and I will provide the necessary evidence that strengthens and confirms my opinion.:)

EDIT:

· Gellert ignores Credence direct Obscurus punch ( 2:50 - 3:00)

And in the same video, multiple moments are shown as Credence in the form of a Obscurus destroys buildings, only flying near them.
OcG7IB5E21Y.jpg

· Voldemort ignores the explosion of the magic wand. ( 3:00 - 3:20)
· the Trio survived the explosion:

l1S92_5G8U0.jpg
iY4WRZUD7xU.jpg

Based on the feats: of Sirius, who survived the explosion of the street, Voldemort, who survived the explosion of a magic wand, McGonagall, who survived several spells, Grindelwald, who ignored the full impact of Obscurus and the Trio, who survived the explosion of the horn, I think it's worth increasing the durability of the listed wizards to the level of a small building It is possible to scale building to other wizards in the same way, because physically they are no different (Harry Potter is still a limited energy system).

Agree:
Disagree:
Neutral:

Last edited:
I heavily disagree. Newt had said that wizards' biology, not their physique or strength, was slightly different from Muggles.
The example is not very good either. A wizard could do a lot of other things to survive a car accident. They could have apparated a few meters away from the crash, do a shield charm or something.
The latter is an outlier and/or plot induced stupidity.
The last one is illogical. Stupefy is a spell used to stun people, it does not cause any permanent damage to people.
And in order for the spells to affect the dragon, they must penetrate not the dragon's skin, but the ancient spells that imbues the dragon's skin.
"Dragons are extremely difficult to slay, owing to the ancient magic that imbues their thick hides, which none but the most powerful spells can penetrate. . . ' But Sirius said a simple one would do it. . . "
And those four stupefy spells probably wouldn't physically harm her if she was out of luck, they would probably just stupefy her permanently.

Last edited:
I heavily disagree. Newt had said that wizards' biology, not their physique or strength, was slightly different from Muggles.
Agreed.
The example is not very good either. A wizard could do a lot of other things to survive a car accident. They could have apparated a few meters away from the crash, do a shield charm or something.
Wouldn't wall level durability, like wizards currently have, be enough to survive most car crashes anyway?
The latter is an outlier and/or plot induced stupidity.
Wormtail was holding his wand behind his back, so I always interpreted this as him creating an explosion behind himself. Thus, since Sirius was standing in front of Wormtail, neither of them was hit by the explosion. Additionally, everyone believed that the explosion killed Wormtail, so the rest of the Wizarding World thought the explosion was powerful enough to kill a wizard.
The last one is illogical. Stupefy is a spell used to stun people, it does not cause any permanent damage to people.
And in order for the spells to affect the dragon, they must penetrate not the dragon's skin, but the ancient spells that imbues the dragon's skin.

And those four stupefy spells probably wouldn't physically harm her if she was out of luck, they would probably just stupefy her permanently.
Wholeheartedly agree.

Finally, Fred was killed by a smaller explosion than the one Wormtail made, so he at least clearly didn't have building level durability.

Yeah, that's how it normally should be. However, Muggles seem to be physically comparable to wizards, but they could still die in car crashes.
Yeah. I've thought a bit about that; my personal theory is that wizards usually have around human level durability, but that their innate magic can amp their durability up to wall level when they're scared, similar to how Neville bounced when his uncle threw him out of a window.

I'm not so sure about this theory. Harry must have been pretty frightened when the dementors attacked Privet Drive, but Dudley still almost knocked him out with a single punch.

I'm not so sure about this theory. Harry must have been pretty frightened when the dementors attacked Privet Drive, but Dudley still almost knocked him out with a single punch.
Yeah, I'm not sure of it, it's just a thought. I also probably wasn't specific enough, but I think it's a more in the moment/reflex kind of thing, and very temporarily.

Wormtail was holding his wand behind his back, so I always interpreted this as him creating an explosion behind himself. Thus, since Sirius was standing in front of Wormtail, neither of them was hit by the explosion. Additionally, everyone believed that the explosion killed Wormtail, so the rest of the Wizarding World thought the explosion was powerful enough to kill a wizard.
I disagree. The book also said that a crater formed after the spell. If Sirius was standing next to Wormtail, then he just couldn't help but feel the explosion. Perhaps I do not understand correctly how the explosion was created specifically, but in my understanding Wormtail created it by radiating energy from a wand, without directing it to any place, he wanted to form a crater in the place where he is.

Finally, Fred was killed by a smaller explosion than the one Wormtail made, so he at least clearly didn't have building level durability.
you may be right, but I'm not entirely sure that this spell was directed specifically at Fred, because at that moment Hogwarts and its magical defenses were attacked. Perhaps most of the magic was directed specifically at the whole School, and not at Fred alone, which is why a smaller explosion formed in the place where Fred and Harry were with friends than that created by Wormtail. Or maybe it's just another effect, like Avada Kedavra.

Reading through the thread, I'm in agreement with @Dweller_Of_Dreams and @The_Fiend on this one.

I'd like to point out another thing that would prevent Sirius from scaling to the entire explosion: the inverse square law. Basically, the farther you are from the explosion, the less damage you will take from it. Even if the distance is a few centimeters away, it could still drastically affect the result. Sirius would not scale to the full yield of the explosion in either case.

Reading through the thread, I'm in agreement with @Dweller_Of_Dreams and @The_Fiend on this one.

I'd like to point out another thing that would prevent Sirius from scaling to the entire explosion: the inverse square law. Basically, the farther you are from the explosion, the less damage you will take from it. Even if the distance is a few centimeters away, it could still drastically affect the result. Sirius would not scale to the full yield of the explosion in either case.
you are right, but this already clearly gives a durability higher than human, because other people who were on this street died from the explosion, although they were much further away than Sirius.

It's "physiology" to be specific, but yeah this most likely points out how their inside react and work differently, as wizards are more resistant to non magical illnesses.
Madam Pomfrey was surprised it didn't kill her despite her age. It is noted that the simultaineous use of this spell would amplify it's effect which is why it can bypass magic resistant creatures but could also cause injury to non resistant beings. So it's obvious that it's amplified brute force can peirce through the likes of dragons skin which is powerful enough to kill a wizard who already has wall lvl durability(at an certain amount of age and tho there could be exceptions like minerva).

Durability of a wizards could be indivual depending on their natural physigue or their power rate in my theory.

I only see the stunning spell one being the possible upgrade to building lvl because we don't have a clear answer if wormtail blowed the street towards sirius's direction or did it on a different direction.

But there are multiple building lvl dura feats in the movies. Harry tanks a hit from horntails tail, Voldemort tanks a mass explosion caused by harrys wand destroying malfoy's wand, grindelwald tanking a straight attack from crednce, and newt tanking lightnings from grindelwald.

Anyways, wall lvl is the most consistent dura feat for wizards in general.

Last edited:
But there are multiple building lvl dura feats in the movies. Harry tanks a hit from horntails tail, Voldemort tanks a mass explosion caused by harrys wand destroying malfoy's wand, grindelwald tanking a straight attack from crednce, and newt tanking lightnings from grindelwald.
Are you talking about a moment that starts at three minutes? I completely forgot about him, but yes, Voldemort has a clear feat of longevity here. After the explosion of the wand, power stations collapsed around Voldemort in a large radius.

Yes, but in the feat with Sirius, he was standing right next to Wormtail, as the rest of the people were far enough away from the center of the explosion, but they were still pulverized.
Sirius distance from the explosion should be known because how far he was from the actual blast would affect his durability. The 9-A calc I've posted above is only for reference.

I looked at the feat, and it does not appear that the people were completely pulverized, as there were still bodies left.

Sirius distance from the explosion should be known because how far he was from the actual blast would affect his durability. The 9-A calc I've posted above is only for reference.

I looked at the feat, and it does not appear that the people were completely pulverized, as there were still bodies left.
You're right, I was wrong, but there was an indication that wizards and humans thought Sirius had killed Wormtail. If we take as an example the above opinions that, they say, even wizards thought that another of them died after the explosion, then why can't we scale the explosion level and durability of Sirius according to the same opinion?

You're right, I was wrong, but there was an indication that wizards and humans thought Sirius had killed Wormtail. If we take as an example the above opinions that, they say, even wizards thought that another of them died after the explosion, then why can't we scale the explosion level and durability of Sirius according to the same opinion?
It is simple: if the wizards believe that an explosion of that magnitude will kill one of their people, there is no reason to believe that person will be able to scale the explosion. Unless there is direct evidence that the person was involved in the explosion and is still alive.

For example, if someone saw a TNT bomb explode in a house and assumed that no one could survive such an event, there is not reason to believe that they could.

Last edited:
It is simple: if the wizards believe that an explosion of that magnitude will kill one of their people, there is no reason to believe that person will be able to scale the explosion. Unless there is direct evidence that the person was involved in the explosion and is still alive.

For example, if someone saw a TNT bomb explode in a house and assumed that no one could survive such an event, there is not reason to believe that they could.
Your answer looks fair, but I'm still haunted by the fact that Sirius survived the explosion without being hurt in any way.

Okay, I propose to sort out the following questions that flared up later in this post. Feats:
1)
Voldemort ignores the explosion of the magic wand. ( 3:00 - 3:20)
2)
Harry successfully survives being hit by the dragon's tail. ( 0:40 - 0:50, but there are other examples, look at the passage in full.)
3)
Newt resists the lightning bolts of Grindelwald well ( 0:26 - 1:29)
4)
Gellert ignores Cridens' direct Pinhole punch ( 2:50 - 3:00)
5)
And I'll add on my own, I don't know if this has been dealt with before or not, but Credence survives, although not for the most part, after an explosion from spells ( 3:22 - 4:00)

A heads-up first: Normal users cannot tag other users; only staff members can.

And here are my thoughts on the clips:
  1. Feat looks fine; you should get it calculated for how much energy the explosion is.
  2. It doesn't look very impressive. The tail swing only sent him flying a few meters away, which probably won't reach higher than 10-A or 9-C.
  3. It doesn't seem that Newt tanked the attack; he was actively defending against it. Also, how do you know it was lighting instead of electricity?
  4. He didn't ignore it; he just fell down after it flew through him.
  5. He didn't survive in any way; he was completely obliterated by those people.

A heads-up first: Normal users cannot tag other users; only staff members can.

And here are my thoughts on the clips:
  1. Feat looks fine; you should get it calculated for how much energy the explosion is.
  2. It doesn't look very impressive. The tail swing only sent him flying a few meters away, which probably won't reach higher than 10-A or 9-C.
  3. It doesn't seem that Newt tanked the attack; he was actively defending against it. Also, how do you know it was lighting instead of electricity?
  4. He didn't ignore it; he just fell down after it flew through him.
  5. He didn't survive in any way; he was completely obliterated by those people.
3) At first, yes. But if you look closely, you can see that he was writhing in pain because of the current, because he couldn't defend himself afterwards. Here is an excerpt from the script where this is confirmed:
SCENE 110

INT. SUBWAY—NIGHT Graves stands on the platform, continuing to duel with Newt, who stands on the train tracks. Credence cowers behind him. Finally, almost bored by Newt’s efforts, Graves casts a spell that ripples along the train tracks and down the tunnel, finally blasting into Newt, throwing him high into the air. Newt lands on his back and Graves immediately sets upon him, casting spells in a whip-like motion with increasing vigor. Graves’s immense power is evident, as Newt writhes on the ground, unable to stop him.

And I was referring to this particular process. At least visually it is.

4)
Yes, he fell, but he was not injured in any way, although at that moment Obscurus was clearly attacking him.

5) Credence survived. At the end of the first part, it was shown how a small part of him flew through the air, and after he was reincarnated from Obscure into a human (although this is a deleted scene, but still in the second part he returned completely alive)

1. You'll need to prove that he is using lightning, not electricity. Electricity's energy is proportional to its voltage, so anything less than 100 million volts is unlikely to produce anything impressive.

2. It was attacking him, but it did not seem to try very hard; all it did was push him down. Also, because of this creature's smoke-like appearance, its body may have slipped past him, resulting in him not receiving the full force of the attack. Think of it as if a very strong wind were trying to blow you away.

3. It is possible that he did not survive because he tanked the attack, but his immortality or other ability ensured his survival. Given that he was completely defenseless against those people's attacks, which were quickly annihilated, it is a more plausible explanation.

1. You'll need to prove that he is using lightning, not electricity. Electricity's energy is proportional to its voltage, so anything less than 100 million volts is unlikely to produce anything impressive.
I just can't imagine electricity looking like a lightning arc. But I'm unlikely to find evidence that indicates that this is specifically lightning.
2. It was attacking him, but it did not seem to try very hard; all it did was push him down. Also, because of this creature's smoke-like appearance, its body may have slipped past him, resulting in him not receiving the full force of the attack. Think of it as if a very strong wind were trying to blow you away.
I don't think we can assume that 100 percent. At that moment, Credence found out that Graves had betrayed him, so he wanted to kill him. Moreover, even reluctantly, Obscurus only flew past buildings and created powerful destruction. And if he wanted to kill specifically, he could blow the house into ruins. I can drop the video evidence.
3. It is possible that he did not survive because he tanked the attack, but his immortality or other ability ensured his survival. Given that he was completely defenseless against those people's attacks, which were quickly annihilated, it is a more plausible explanation.
We don't know anything about his immortality, moreover, in the third part he began to die because of Obscure. That's why I disagree. I still think that he withstood this explosion, because after that he returned to human form from just a specks of Obscure.

We don't know anything about his immortality, moreover, in the third part he began to die because of Obscure. That's why I disagree. I still think that he withstood this explosion, because after that he returned to human form from just a specks of Obscure.
There is no evidence that he both "withstood" the explosion and "came back from the Obscure." It's either one of those cases or another, because we clearly saw him dying after being blasted to death.

There is no evidence that he both "withstood" the explosion and "came back from the Obscure." It's either one of those cases or another, because we clearly saw him dying after being blasted to death.
I threw off a video clip above, where you can see how he transforms from a piece of Obscure after an explosion into a human form without damage.

I threw off a video clip above, where you can see how he transforms from a piece of Obscure after an explosion into a human form without damage.
Then it's likely that he reformed after being killed, not that he took the entire explosion and survived.

Again, you need to prove that he either "survived" the explosion which gives durability, or he survived "after" the explosion which could be some sort of immortality.

Then it's likely that he reformed after being killed, not that he took the entire explosion and survived.

Again, you need to prove that he either "survived" the explosion which gives durability, or he survived "after" the explosion which could be some sort of immortality.
Then we need more opinions.

Could you please express your opinion about the Credence explosion?

Okay, I propose to sort out the following questions that flared up later in this post. Feats:
1)
Voldemort ignores the explosion of the magic wand.
After watching the video on 0.25 times speed, I must say that I don't think it's clear wether Voldemort is hit by the explosion or not. He is very close to it, but I don't think we can say for sure that it actually hits him.
2) Harry successfully survives being hit by the dragon's tail.
This could potentially be around Wall level, seeing as the dragon destroyed rocks with the same attack. I can't see it as being any higher than that though.
3) Newt resists the lightning bolts of Grindelwald well
If this is lightning, the feat should be around Small Building level if I remember correctly. If it is simply electricity, the feat would be less impressive. So, if you want to use this for an upgrade, you would probably have to prove that it's real lightning.
4) Gellert ignores Cridens' direct Pinhole punch
5) And I'll add on my own, I don't know if this has been dealt with before or not, but Credence survives, although not for the most part, after an explosion from spells
I agree with Jamesthetaker and The_Fiend here.

I most likely won't participate further in the discussion of these feats, but I will continue checking in on this thread and keep myself updated on its development.

2. It was attacking him, but it did not seem to try very hard; all it did was push him down. Also, because of this creature's smoke-like appearance, its body may have slipped past him, resulting in him not receiving the full force of the attack. Think of it as if a very strong wind were trying to blow
The very same simply going past someone has one shot killed non magic people and leaving scars on their face. I think it's pretty clear grindelwald avoided it.

Back