• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The speed of light for Avada Kedavra

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only main 2 criteria it meets is being called light and being reflected by the statue. However, Dweller brought how other spells that definitely don't have nearly enough proof to qualify also receive a similar description of "jet of light", reducing the veracity of it. And for the statue reflecting it, later during the same fight, the same statue shattered when being hit by it.

So the two main requirements it qualifies for are suspect.
And also that it is reflected from a metal sword and exhibits the phenomenon of light diffraction, yes, we do not forget. You have now listed only the exploits from the books, without touching on the films. I don't see any point in comparing completely different spells, because the spells that Dweller listed did not show diffraction of light and reflection from metal surfaces. I gave an example of other spells from movies that look like flashes of light and are DESCRIBED in BOOKS in the same way, and they exhibit light diffraction (rainbow circles are clearly visible).

Moreover, I do not understand why you decided that the spell destroyed the golden statue, it is literally not mentioned anywhere (the centaur's material is unknown). The trick of the spell is also that its main hax is the destruction of everything it touches, if it is material. This is ignoring durability, obviously it will destroy stone statues and buildings without heating or vaporizing the liquid.

It wouldn't matter as anti-feat if the reasoning for the light bending was possible to explain through reflection/refraction. If one looks at literally the first scan shown in the op, one can easily see the beam making an irregular pattern in midair without any logical explanation through light physics, the beam is more similar to lightning in aesthetics (not saying it would even scale to that) due to the irregular path, the bits of light that come from the beam itself and the other rays that come from it, so it's evident that the people who made the visuals of the spell were taking as reference lightning instead of an actual beam of light.
HhnNK3MApmE.jpg
This is called the curved line of the beam of light, because Tom has a magic wand vibrating in his hands, creating "interference" in the beam of the spell. Yes, it looks like lightning, but it can also be explained that AFTER Avada Kedavra Voldemort emits lightning bolts from Avada Kedavra into Harry. This may be one of the reasons for the similarity at this point. But, as I have already thrown evidence A BUNCH of TIMES in favor of the fact that Avada Kedavra is a DIRECT RAY, I will throw another example with Bellatrix, Who sends only a flash of light.
WAByxru1aMo.jpg

In any case, as it is written in the criteria for the speed of light, even if the beam is curved, then if reflection or refraction is proved, then this contradiction has no force.

I've already thrown these screenshots, but I'll throw them again and you won't be able to notice a curved line like lightning on them, nothing at all, because it's a light beam, you'll only see a flash:

N_cdBJVEZjE.jpg
wh8QhhR4_Ro.jpg

O-dWTml8MiM.jpg
rjfvOeamiyc.jpg

You can notice a "curved ray" ONLY IF AND ONLY if the spell rays collide and form a "Priori Incantatem" (let's skip the point that this is only available when the wands are the same, the movies ignore it). However, with short spell emissions, you won't be able to see the curved rays.

L0z_9RwVwu4.jpg
a33CPT__0pA.jpg

CwhkVy7dnHM.jpg
2N3WyxZJwNU.jpg

And, as we can see, the spell does not emit any explosions. This is simply a collision with a dense material body, which is why the laser beams come into contact with it and emit a small pulse, because it contains a lot of energy and a magical effect, after being hit by a spell, the matter to which the spell is applied is destroyed.

HOWEVER, EVEN SO, you can see a completely direct light beam here, the spell just creates a stream of light.
Tfz7KogbqzE.jpg
BnH6hf42M24.jpg

And, since you are giving an example of other, similar spells, then I will give you an example of Stupefy, which looks like a flash of light showing the phenomenon of light diffraction. What is not the speed of light? It's just a flash of light that instantly travels the distance to the wizard's target. Avada is exactly the same.

jDVmhQfI-4k.jpg
O7N9VjRPkeY.jpg

UWlKaQzkL2M.jpg
Z7zcuTVpSv4.jpg

Wriggling around he cried, “Stupefy!” and a red bolt of light shot from his own wand, cleaving a gap between the four pursuing Death Eaters as they scattered to avoid it.

Since there are no more counter arguments, it should be noted that the VSB criteria indicate that if it is proved that the light beam is reflected from a metal surface (a golden statue and a metal sword), then the quibble about the alleged laser moving not in a straight line, but in a curved line, simply has no force. Therefore, if it is impossible to refute the fact of light reflection, then the speed of the Avada Kedavra should be updated to light, otherwise there is SIMPLY NO POINT in the criteria, because they are not observed, lol :unsure:
xWKeLxVf__Q.jpg

And since I understand that there are no more strong contradictions in the Avada Kedavra light beam (your only counterarguments are that it follows a curved line in the film and that it "explodes" (although all lasers somehow produce an impulse when colliding with dense matter, creating a mini-explosion)) + that you ignoring the fact of reflection and simply denying the existence of light velocity casts doubt on the objectivity of most opinions.

You need 2-3 of the criteria to fit for it to be light, and moving in a straight line is probably the most important killer for it. Where IN THE NOVELS has Avada Kedavra been stated to move in a straight line

You need 2-3 of the criteria to fit for it to be light, and moving in a straight line is probably the most important killer for it. Where IN THE NOVELS has Avada Kedavra been stated to move in a straight line
Proofs:
1) Light diffraction
2) Reflection from metal surfaces
3) The description of the spell is like a light beam. That is, it consists of light
4) Scaling from other spells

Simple denial or some other problems?
Movement along the curve has no power, because the spell is reflected from metal surfaces:
  • They do not travel in straight lines (unless you can prove refraction/reflection, see above.)

While not literally stated to move in a straight line, it's the most basic assumption you can make, since the spell can be aim-dodged, with even a slight misalignment provokes it to completely miss a target. If it curved or could be curved (besides reflection), then missing would be bit harder one would think. Specially on a high speed chase like in Deathly Hallows, where the spell missed Harry by milimeters several times.

Proofs:
1) Light diffraction
A very weak proof at the best of times
2) Reflection from metal surfaces
See bottom of post
3) The description of the spell is like a light beam. That is, it consists of light
LIKE a light beam. Not a beam of light. Weak proof.
4) Scaling from other spells
Why should it scale to other spells?
Simple denial or some other problems?
Movement along the curve has no power, because the spell is reflected from metal surfaces:
  • They do not travel in straight lines (unless you can prove refraction/reflection, see above.)
And it's also more crooked then my **** in a tight pair of undies.

That is to say, show me where it bounces like a video game beam from things like a mirror.

While not literally stated to move in a straight line, it's the most basic assumption you can make, since the spell can be aim-dodged, with even a slight misalignment provokes it to completely miss a target. If it curved or could be curved (besides reflection), then missing would be bit harder one would think. Specially on a high speed chase like in Deathly Hallows, where the spell missed Harry by milimeters several times.
In the films, it's rather crooked, and you can miss by millimeters even if it's fluctuating

From the arguments I've seen here, the side against Avada Kedavra being lightspeed looks more convincing. Mark me down as disagree in the OP please.

this.

"Its an Assumption"

"Here's something against that assumption"

"NUH UH!!!"
The films also directly contradict several things about the spell. Something I've brought up multiple times.
So the films depict Avada Kedavra as a kind of green bolt, but this isn't the case in the books. It is always described as a flash or jet of light:

–The Goblet of Fire, pg. 216

–The Goblet of Fire, pg. 638

What the 4th movie is trying to show with the light show is the Priori Incantatem, the connection between wands that occur when they share the same core and clash spells.

– The Goblet of Fire, pg. 663-664

– The Goblet of Fire, pg. 696-697

Normally, Avada Kedavra can't be blocked:

– The Goblet of Fire, pg. 216

Avada Kedavra also doesn't push a target, they simply fall lifeless:

–Half Blood Prince, chapter twenty-eight

Avada Kedavra, as shown with the Priori Incantatem, does produce some kind of heat. This is also shown in the battle with Dumbledore:

– Order of the Phoenix, pg. 717-718

Anytime someone "dodges" Avada Kedavra, it is always some form of aim-dodge or the person casting it didn't aim well:

–Order of the Phoenix, pg. 696

– Order of the Phoenix, pg. 717

– The Deathly Hallows, pg. 57

– The Deathly Hallows, pg. 60

– The Deathly Hallows, pg. 61

Or the wand just straight refuses to kill someone:

–The Deadly Hallows, pg. 743-744

-

With all this being said, I don't think Avada Kedavra quite meet the lightspeed standards, but most contradictions about it come from the movies not portraying the spell correctly.
See the above.

You brought something from the films that is never stated, used or portrayed on the books to discredit them. You can see the problem right there.

Edit:
Fun fact, this flashback has the most accurate depiction of the spell in the films

Last edited:
No, you need to hit three requirements with no showings counter to it- this is one and has several anti-feats.
Reading the thread I'm against the proposal. Even being generous and accepting some statements as qualifiers, AK has to many things going against it for a SoL rating.

So put me in disagree.
Yeah no, I hard disagree as well, this has way too many anti-feats as it doesn't ever travel in a straight line and rather appears in squiggly lines
From the arguments I've seen here, the side against Avada Kedavra being lightspeed looks more convincing. Mark me down as disagree in the OP please.
Yeah, I do not think this meets criteria for SoL.
With 5 staff disagreements, this has been thoroughly rejected.

A very weak proof at the best of times
But still the proof
See bottom of post
I do not know what is there
LIKE a light beam. Not a beam of light. Weak proof.
The adjective "light" itself means that a ray consists of light.
Why should it scale to other spells?
Because the Avada Kedavra is comparable in speed to the light spell that Albus sends to protect Credence.
And it's also more crooked then my **** in a tight pair of undies.
Understandable, but I proved reflection anyway, so it doesn't make sense.
That is to say, show me where it bounces like a video game beam from things like a mirror.
why? I showed how it reflects off the metal, that's enough, you're just ignoring the proof right now, lol

This has been rejected, and it reflects poorly upon you to claim that the standards are bad or that everyone else is ignoring proof. I'm going to have this closed if you continue.

Not only did you arbitrarily decide that there were no counter arguments to your claim, you also decided to ignore the counter arguments in the first place, such as the fact that the spell bounced off gold and also shattered gold in the same fight, something that light would not do unless it was unnatural. I hate to have to keep writing this, but the anti-criteria does not matter because AV has not meet any of the actual criteria for light. If you continue to ignore counters to your claim, then state that there is no counters so staff disagreements are illogical and this thread should go through because you think people aren't paying attention to the standards, then there's no point in have a discussion in the first place.

This has been rejected, and it reflects poorly upon you to claim that the standards are bad or that everyone else is ignoring proof. I'm going to have this closed if you continue.
in fact, not all people ignore my evidence, but come up with reasons so that they are invalid, although the criteria are quite the opposite.

In any case, most of the employees refused the topic, so if it's not difficult, you can close it

Last edited:
Not only did you arbitrarily decide that there were no counter arguments to your claim, you also decided to ignore the counter arguments in the first place, such as the fact that the spell bounced off gold and also shattered gold in the same fight, something that light would not do unless it was unnatural. I hate to have to keep writing this, but the anti-criteria does not matter because AV has not meet any of the actual criteria for light. If you continue to ignore counters to your claim, then state that there is no counters so staff disagreements are illogical and this thread should go through because you think people aren't paying attention to the standards, then there's no point in have a discussion in the first place.
However, the spell was reflected from the metal sword, which also does not cancel the reflection effect. I also didn't see any proof that the centaur statue was made of gold. It's not my fault that people express their opinions without reading the beginning of the post, where all the criteria for the speed of light of Avada Kedavra are reasoned. And then they ask where this spell showed the effect of diffraction or reflection from metal surfaces. I'm tired of throwing off the same thing, obviously I won't be thrilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back