• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know. The character statistics currently do not quite make sense, as I mentioned below.
Okay. I suppose that would make some sense then, but why is the Grand Star listed as 3-C, and all the characters that were empowered by it listed as "At least 3-C" in that case?
In the other Mario thread @Maverick_Zero_X mentioned that High 4-C seems more consistent for the characters when they are not empowered by a Grand Star.

Yeah, but looking at it from a logical perspective...

If the Power Stars can be black holes via this calculation, wouldn't this make Mario a little higher than High 4-C the more Power Stars he collected? Y'know, I still don't personally think it's an absolute necessity to remove the 4-A Tiering from the Mario Bros verse as we could've alternatively made for Mario and the others a High 4-C to 4-A key for when they were using Power Stars instead of Grand Stars, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Can you summarise the arguments from each side in a single post please?
Honestly the arguments have changed so much throughout the thread that it's been hard to follow. I'll try my best to summarise Fox's points and my counters.

Fox claimed that it takes more star bits to get a Hungry Luma to transform into a Galaxy than for a Grand Star to be formed from star bits. While a Hungry Luma takes 300 star bits or more to transform into a galaxy, Fox claims that the number of star bits it takes to make a Grand Star is equal to the population of Toad Town, since in the intro the Toads were holding a single star bit each.
  • My counter to this was that, in the context of the intro, the comet that carried the star bits to the Mushroom Kingdom was explicitly stated to be especially massive, containing "countless" star bits. The Toads spent all night collecting these Star Bits, so it's a weird assumption to say that each Toad only collected one Star Bit in total. Also, Rosalina's story shows that comets are generally completely packed with star bits, so it's very believable that the comet that passed over the Mushroom Kingdom contained well over hundreds/thousands of star bits. Finally, DDM made the argument that if it took less than 300 star bits to form a Grand Star, then Mario should have no problem powering the comet observatory since he can collect up to 9,999 star bits on his journey (this number is acknowledged)
Fox responded to the bit in bold, claiming that this sort of hypothetical argument is the same as saying that Bowser could have just used a Luma to create a galaxy, rather than a Grand Star.
  • My counter was that Bowser has no way to force a Luma into transforming into a galaxy, and a Luma certainly wouldn't turn into a galaxy for Bowser willingly. If the argument was about extracting energy, then that goes in the Grand Star's favour, since he explicitly chose to extract the energy of a Grand Star rather than a luma/several lumas. But I honestly don't know where he was going with that.
Fox claimed that because Mario in the ending said "Welcome new Galaxy!" (consistent through all versions), only the Milky Way galaxy was destroyed + reset. He also claimed that the fact you could see stars when Rosalina speaks to Mario is a proof of something.
  • My counter was that, contextually, Mario Galaxy should span outside of the Milky Way. The whole goal of completing the game was to get enough star power to reach Bowser's reactor. Mario's statement isn't proof of anything - he doesn't have to be welcoming numerous new galaxies for those to have been recreated. And the white lines visible when speaking to Rosalina are very much not stars.
Fox said that the Green Lumas are required to reach the edge of the universe for the trial galaxies, so they wouldn't scale to Power Stars.
  • This one's a doozy. It's explicitly stated that the three Green Power Stars have powered the launch star to reach said edges of the universe. Proof is linked above.
There's also been several things said about the Japanese text, that Fox has used to claim that the entirety of Super Mario Galaxy takes place in the Milky Way. However this would make zero sense going by the English version, so a large burden of proof is still on Fox to provide scans of where it would have otherwise talked about the scope of the game in the Japanese version, the context of said scans and for these scans to be properly and officially translated.

My counter to this was that, in the context of the intro, the comet that carried the star bits to the Mushroom Kingdom was explicitly stated to be especially massive, containing "countless" star bits. The Toads spent all night collecting these Star Bits, so it's a weird assumption to say that each Toad only collected one Star Bit in total.
This part of the argument makes sense to me. I'd say it is fair to say that more star bits are required to form the grand star, and we cannot really conclude that each toad only contributed one star bit from a brief visual? (granted I have not seen that visual).

If the argument was about extracting energy, then that goes in the Grand Star's favour, since he explicitly chose to extract the energy of a Grand Star rather than a luma/several lumas.
I believe the point here is, that if a Luma can really create a real-sized galaxy, then Bowser doesn't need to go through so much of an ordeal just to create his own. He could have extracted the energy from a Luma instead of Grand Star. So I don't know, maybe lumas aren't capable of creating real-sized galaxies or the ones that are are very low in number and shouldn't scale to other lumas/power stars, is the argument here from what I can understand.

Fox claimed that because Mario in the ending said "Welcome new Galaxy!" (consistent through all versions), only the Milky Way galaxy was destroyed + reset.
Well, I'd say the statement does imply only one galaxy was destroyed and reset. I won't even say destroyed, since we don't exactly know that. Just "reset" would be the right word. During that feat the screen turns to white, with no exact indication of what or how much was destroyed, the only thing we know for sure is that a reset button was hit on the events and everything was back to normal.

There's also been several things said about the Japanese text, that Fox has used to claim that the entirety of Super Mario Galaxy takes place in the Milky Way.
As far as Japanese vs English goes, I have seen a lot of discrepancies. I think it is better if we take a look at every relevant evidence and compile a blog containing both original and english versions, and have them translated for better understanding, as I suggested earlier.

Well, it would be helpful if somebody finds the original Japanese text, so @TheNinthHour can take a look at it then.

I believe the point here is, that if a Luma can really create a real-sized galaxy, then Bowser doesn't need to go through so much of an ordeal just to create his own. He could have extracted the energy from a Luma instead of Grand Star. So I don't know, maybe lumas aren't capable of creating real-sized galaxies or the ones that are are very low in number and shouldn't scale to other lumas/power stars, is the argument here from what I can understand.
Idk, that [his argument] seems like a stretch from what's essentially just a hypothetical. Perhaps Bowser's reactor just simply isn't capable of absorbing energy out of living beings. His machinery and troops use Power Stars or Grand Stars as an energy source pretty consistently after all.

As far as Japanese vs English goes, I have seen a lot of discrepancies. I think it is better if we take a look at every relevant evidence and compile a blog containing both original and english versions, and have them translated for better understanding, as I suggested earlier.
Agreed.

Just say it. It's applicable to the point of this thread so why not.
Ok then. From the Grand Star profile

"More powerful than Power Stars which the Lumas turn into. Lumas can also turn into galaxies."

The Transformation ability of the Lumas is irrelevant for scaling, making irrelevant how they can turn into galaxies and Power Stars. They turn into comets and planets while having the lifespan and power of regular comets and planets, they're not always 3-C in AP due to the best they can turn into, the Transformation ability is variable next to their regular displays in their natural forms. This is common in fiction for the ability to transform into things, and further adding to this idea they need a little push to do it.

"Is the primary power source of the Galaxy Reactor, which has enough power to create an entire galaxy"

Bowser already wanted that since he kidnapped Peach at the start of the game, and by the end didn't finish. We know he already started because they're already small planets and stars around the place where the galaxy should be, but yet the creation wasn't fully done. Even removing that, there's no reason for this to be in one go. The Grand Star being the power source of this Galaxy Reactor makes an unknown part of the feat for the Grand Star and an unknown part for the Galaxy Reactor.

Stellar Lifting Strength would make sense to me.

Also, I know that this "galaxy-rattling shot" scan is just a hyperbole, but I feel like it'd back the evidence of Mario being 3-C and all, cuz I really don't think there's enough material that equates to Mario being 3-C.

Last edited:
I'm really iffy about using a black hole's pull to justify a stellar lifting strength; it's more like gravity manipulation rather than lifting strength. Though the creation of one is fine for AP calculation purposes. As for creating constellations, do we know if they just actively pulled stars from interstellar distances? If it's the former, it would just be AP and no lifting strength, but it's good if it's the latter.

Also, the "Galaxy Rattling shot" unfortunately comes from the guidebook AKM Sama said not to use even if I don't quite agree with that decision. And even so, it's still on the flowery language side. But I still believe Grand Stars should upscale from Pink Lumas via Gyro's reasons.

Last edited:
I trust Medeus' and Gyro's senses of judgement regarding this.

I seriously have some things to say on that 3-C stat we use but I didn't keep up with this thread at first and so it seems complicated to participate.
Just say it. It's applicable to the point of this thread so why not.
Bit late now, but I'd appreciate if we didn't as this thread's changed directions countless times by now as it is, and many of my points are still unaddressed.

Also, I've posted several scans of the japanese already.
Not the ones we requested, and not presented with their relevant context.

I'll cover Eficiente's points later for clarity's sake but would prefer if we handled the issues outstanding.

It seems best if you follow Gyro's instructions.

Also, the "Galaxy Rattling shot" unfortunately comes from the guidebook AKM Sama said not to use even if I don't quite agree with that decision. And even so, it's still on the flowery language side.
@Antvasima I like how DDM thinks, but still, I think it would back Mario being 3-C. We don't really have anything like calculations or blogs of 3-C feats from the Super Mario franchise rather than just the visual and verbal instance of the stars turning into galaxies and even that doesn't sound like it's saying much. I mean, unless AKM has a very specific reason as to why we can't use material from guidebooks, then I can understand, but isn't there a way we can make an exception?

Last edited:
That guide has been contradictory on many occasions, something I covered in my earlier CRTs. Using it for a few things and not using it for others would be cherry picking. So it's better to avoid it altogether.

Okay. No problem. So what should we do here then?

The Transformation ability of the Lumas is irrelevant for scaling, making irrelevant how they can turn into galaxies and Power Stars. They turn into comets and planets while having the lifespan and power of regular comets and planets, they're not always 3-C in AP due to the best they can turn into, the Transformation ability is variable next to their regular displays in their natural forms. This is common in fiction for the ability to transform into things, and further adding to this idea they need a little push to do it.
It's implied that Lumas that become stuff like stars will eventually become galaxies. Even then, Lumas having varying feats in terms of AP doesn't mean the Stars can't scale above them in general. Not sure if you're implying this, but the lumas that create galaxies do so instantly with an explosion, indicating that this is an AP feat and not some transformation/shapeshifting hax.

Bowser already wanted that since he kidnapped Peach at the start of the game, and by the end didn't finish. We know he already started because they're already small planets and stars around the place where the galaxy should be, but yet the creation wasn't fully done. Even removing that, there's no reason for this to be in one go. The Grand Star being the power source of this Galaxy Reactor makes an unknown part of the feat for the Grand Star and an unknown part for the Galaxy Reactor.
The Grand Star still had life in it though, all the former would mean is that the reactor hadn't finished extracting the Grand Star's energy. Furthermore, the Grand Star is the sole power source, shown by how the reactor collapsed when it was removed. The reactor isn't responsible for providing its own energy, it simply takes the energy from the Grand Star to create stuff. If a car engine provides X joules to make a car move, that isn't a feat for the wheels of the car, they simply enable the motion and help transfer the chemical/electrical energy into mechanical work.

What do you think that we could currently do here exactly?
I don't see anything more that could be done here until a full organized collage of japanese scans is provided, with the relevant context and english localized counterparts, to be properly translated.

I don't see anything more that could be done here until a full organized collage of japanese scans is provided, with the relevant context and english localized counterparts, to be properly translated.
Okay. Are you able and willing to help out with that, @Foxthefox1000 ? Or is there anybody else here who can do so please?

That can simply refer to the Lumas who do turn into galaxies rather than all. Talking with them iirc some were excited on what choose to become when growing up.
Even then, Lumas having varying feats in terms of AP doesn't mean the Stars can't scale above them in general.
I don't see why you say this.
Not sure if you're implying this, but the lumas that create galaxies do so instantly with an explosion, indicating that this is an AP feat and not some transformation/shapeshifting hax.
Transformation can be done like that, instantly and with a dramatic explosion or something, you should not grab into that to say that it has to be an AP feat because of it.

If I for example make a character who can turn into the size of a galaxy instantly and with an explosion, or a dramatic cloud briefly covering it up or the thing shaking only at the start then that will all be very impressive and all, but it would not scale to their physicality in their regular size, simply because that makes no sense. Change "can turn into the size of a galaxy" into "can turn into a galaxy" and you got the same, logically.
The Grand Star still had life in it though, all the former would mean is that the reactor hadn't finished extracting the Grand Star's energy. Furthermore, the Grand Star is the sole power source, shown by how the reactor collapsed when it was removed.
The Grand Star still having life in it seem like a random rule to how this works, why would it not having life = that the reactor would then start what Bowser wanted it to do? Why makes the reactor not use it as a power source while it still has life like other bosses or places? Based on what does it need to have all the life of it first? It also seems counterintuitive by the fact that the place where Bowser wants his galaxy to be already has small planets, stars, and space full of other stars around, one would imagine he already started making the galaxy.

If I did miss somewhere where that rule is stated, then there still remains the matter of how it has no reason to be instantly, , especially with how much time it took the Galaxy Reactor to start.
The reactor isn't responsible for providing its own energy, it simply takes the energy from the Grand Star to create stuff. If a car engine provides X joules to make a car move, that isn't a feat for the wheels of the car, they simply enable the motion and help transfer the chemical/electrical energy into mechanical work.
As I see it, it's not that that's simply proven to be that case, it's that we have so little info of the Galaxy Reactor that one may as well assume it doesn't provide its own energy like unmoving parts of a car, which is not a fair comparison for futuristic technology that can draw energy from one thing & use it for a purpose, having the ability to do that shows that it does provide some of its own energy to it, unlike powerless parts of a car. We don't know much more of how it functions, but with a name like "Galaxy Reactor", I would easily imagine the creation of a galaxy to be done as smoothy as possible by it.

Completely discarding the car engine example, a computer may need both its internal battery and being plugged in as a source of energy, both giving energy for the end result that is using it. And the computer is very much dependent of the latter form of energy, just not solely that. With examples like this existing why would we then use powerless parts of a car that are unmoving on their own? Nothing makes this futuristic, unknown technology more akin to a car than a computer.

That can simply refer to the Lumas who do turn into galaxies rather than all. Talking with them iirc some were excited on what choose to become when growing up.
Not sure what that's meant to prove.

I don't see why you say this.
Well, it's true. If thing A is > thing B, it doesn't matter if thing B has varying power, it would be contradictory for there to be an instance where thing B > thing A. This seems rather self-explanatory, no?

Transformation can be done like that, instantly and with a dramatic explosion or something, you should not grab into that to say that it has to be an AP feat because of it.
The luma becomes a galaxy and there's a clear indicator that energy is involved via the explosion. This isn't just some "dramatic cloud" done for effect. And no, those two are distinct things, the Luma doesn't just increase in size, it literally becomes a Galaxy. Although we give 3-C ratings to galaxy-sized characters anyways.

I can't make sense of your fourth point.

As I see it, it's not that that's simply proven to be that case, it's that we have so little info of the Galaxy Reactor that one may as well assume it doesn't provide its own energy like unmoving parts of a car, which is not a fair comparison for futuristic technology that can draw energy from one thing & use it for a purpose, having the ability to do that shows that it does provide some of its own energy to it, unlike powerless parts of a car. We don't know much more of how it functions, but with a name like "Galaxy Reactor", I would easily imagine the creation of a galaxy to be done as smoothy as possible by it.
Why does the fact that it's futuristic technology that's more advanced than our own mean that it can provide its own energy? We know that Rosalina's comet observatory, which is also technology that dwarfs our own, relies on Power/Grand Stars to function, despite it being needed for the Lumas to survive. You'd have to jump through a lot of hoops to assume that the reactor provides its own energy, instead of assuming that the reactor that relies on a power source uses said power source to function. It's the explanation that requires far less assumptions.

Completely discarding the car engine example, a computer may need both its internal battery and being plugged in as a source of energy, both giving energy for the end result that is using it. And the computer is very much dependent of the latter form of energy, just not solely that. With examples like this existing why would we then use powerless parts of a car that are unmoving on their own? Nothing makes this futuristic, unknown technology more akin to a car than a computer.
What is the "plug" in your example? What other power source does the Galaxy Reactor rely on? You say that we know little about the reactor and how it works, but this can be flipped around - everything we need to know about the Galaxy Reactor is provided to us within about ten minutes, give or take, of gameplay.

Well, it's true. If thing A is > thing B, it doesn't matter if thing B has varying power, it would be contradictory for there to be an instance where thing B > thing A. This seems rather self-explanatory, no?
Well, you missed the point with this. They scale due to their Transformation, meaning that if they were to vary in power for their Transformation it would mean the Stars can't scale above them in general, because their general would not be the same as they turning into the Stars.
The luma becomes a galaxy and there's a clear indicator that energy is involved via the explosion. This isn't just some "dramatic cloud" done for effect. And no, those two are distinct things, the Luma doesn't just increase in size, it literally becomes a Galaxy. Although we give 3-C ratings to galaxy-sized characters anyways.
The cases you dismissed have just as much value as the case here that you portray as valid to apply for their general display; An explosion accompanying a transformation isn't much more significant than a cloud covering it, or the inanimate thing one turned into shaking at the start. It is clear that energy is being involved, that isn't denied, just that this comes from their Transformation, an ability that very often makes characters and things in fiction vary in power & abilities. A cloud covering a transformation would also have energy involved, just not as much, and it of course doesn't mean that has to apply to the users' general displays.

The size increase was a point of reference of how imprecise it is to apply the stats to the users' general display.
I can't make sense of your fourth point.
You pointed out that the Grand Star still had life in it in a way that implies that this wouldn't let the Galaxy Reactor have started making Bowser's galaxy, otherwise you can tell me why you pointed that out. I see nowhere where Grand Star still having life was ever stated to relevant to how it could start its job, hence I said that it seemed "like a random rule".
Why does the fact that it's futuristic technology that's more advanced than our own mean that it can provide its own energy? We know that Rosalina's comet observatory, which is also technology that dwarfs our own, relies on Power/Grand Stars to function, despite it being needed for the Lumas to survive. You'd have to jump through a lot of hoops to assume that the reactor provides its own energy, instead of assuming that the reactor that relies on a power source uses said power source to function. It's the explanation that requires far less assumptions.

What is the "plug" in your example? What other power source does the Galaxy Reactor rely on? You say that we know little about the reactor and how it works, but this can be flipped around - everything we need to know about the Galaxy Reactor is provided to us within about ten minutes, give or take, of gameplay.
Sorry but this logic keeps making the same mistake. Let's go back this bit I said

Completely discarding the car engine example, a computer may need both its internal battery and being plugged in as a source of energy, both giving energy for the end result that is using it. And the computer is very much dependent of the latter form of energy, just not solely that.

A computer may need its internal battery and being plugged in a wall. The result, it can be turned on and used like normal with all the information it keeps. Without the internal battery, that can't happen. Without being plugged in, that also can't happen. To what energy do you attribute using the computer with all the information it normally keeps? It's its internal battery and being plugged in, both things.

The Galaxy Reactor uses a Grand Star to work, but just because we know this much it doesn't mean it the full power of its work only comes from the Grand Star, if we know part of it does.

On your take, the Galaxy Reactor was the equivalent to wheels & unmoving parts of a car that all get moved by 1 thing to generate what's desired. That is too simplistic, as well as convenient.

It's not "because this is futuristic technology, it can provide its own energy", it simply makes the most sense that it does when modern technology can do the same, all without removing the fact that the Grand Star "is its only energy source".

On the point of Luma becoming a galaxy, I don't think it is scale-able in any way whatsoever. The Luma expends all the energy into a big explosion or transformation (whatever you want to call it), which seems like a one-time gimmick. After that, the resulting structure is recognized as a galaxy, not a luma anymore. You could say that a release of energy of that scale is only possible when the luma actually transforms into or becomes the galaxy, because they don't show something like that anywhere else.

There could be more than that and it would be the same, that's how Transformation and Shapeshifting works, you can turnback to your ogirinal form.

What are we gonna do about these scans then? Can't they be applied to Mario's Lifting Strength?
The latter had no reason to scale and was removed off his profile before since said black holes aren't moved. And I will eventually get around to making a thread for removing that calc from AP if the moderators here collectively conclude and agree on completely discounting this specific guidebook.

The former calc I think it could be applied eventually, not sure if anyone actually revised it into a new blog since its moving way more than just 12 stars there back into their relative places.

Okay. Are you able and willing to help out with that, @Foxthefox1000 ? Or is there anybody else here who can do so please?
So, about this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back