• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
> Gellert was able to hit two aurors mid-apparition with his fires, which is a potent feat to say the least given how fast you can apparate to another location.

This isn't a speed feat. Only the actual apparition is fast, the process of going into it takes a while, as shown by Bellatrix hitting Dobby with a knife while he was still apparating.

I suppose it could make sense since they're extremely powerful. Few other wizards would scale.

Also consistent with Newt blocking lightning from Grindelwald.

Though I do not know what to do with Voldemort's 8-B status from the Elder Wand.

Kepekley23 said:
This isn't a speed feat. Only the actual apparition is fast, the process of going into it takes a while, as shown by Bellatrix hitting Dobby with a knife while he was still apparating.
That could also be coonsidered a feat though.

I mean, Voldemort was with the Elder Wand while fightning against Minerva, Kingsley and Slughorn. But I suppose that's right.

Look at it like this.

You activate apparition. Let's act like you're being covered by some sort of abstract mist which takes roughly two seconds to engulf you.

Then you finally apparate kilometers away in a split second.

The Final Apparition is what is hyper fast and instantaneous - the process of activating it, however, takes a while and that's what Bellatrix and Grindelwald did.

Wasn't Voldemort not the master of the Elder Wand when fighting Minerva, Kingsley and Slughorn?

Anyway I do not think we can directly scale like that. Many factors are to be taken into account in duelling. There are a wide variety of spells, some are hax. Speed and reflexes are another factor. What good are your spells when your opponent dodges them? James Potter bullied Snape despite the latter knowing more dark magic because James was faster.

Kepekley23 said:
The Final Apparition is what is hyper fast and instantaneous - the process of activating it, however, takes a while and that's what Bellatrix and Grindelwald did.
That's right. Doesn't it still scale to speed, though?

Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan said:
Wasn't Voldemort not the master of the Elder Wand when fighting Minerva, Kingsley and Slughorn?

Anyway I do not think we can directly scale like that. Many factors are to be taken into account in duelling. There are a wide variety of spells, some are hax. Speed and reflexes are another factor. What good are your spells when your opponent dodges them? James Potter bullied Snape despite the latter knowing more dark magic because James was faster.
And because that was James, Lupin, Black and Wormtail. And Snape single handedly fought and defeated them all later on.

But anyway, they pushed Voldemort to a stalemate, and were said to have survived the cash unharmed. They probably dodged something, but it is extremely unlikely for them to not have blocked his spells too.

I suppose "At least 9-A, likely 8-C" would work though.

SuperKamiNappa said:
Are we using the high end or the low end?
Whichever end that was accepted by the calc group when evaluating the blog post.

Kepekley23 said:
Only Dumbledore, Voldemort and Grindelwald scale to the Possibly 8-B with the Elder Wand.
Okay. Is anybody interested in performing the changes?

And because that was James, Lupin, Black and Wormtail. And Snape single handedly fought and defeated them all later on.

But anyway, they pushed Voldemort to a stalemate, and were said to have survived the cash unharmed. They probably dodged something, but it is extremely unlikely for them to not have blocked his spells too.

I suppose "At least 9-A, likely 8-C" would work though.

Lupin didn't bully Snape, he just didn't have the guts to stop his friends. Wormtail just ate popcorn and watched. It was mostly James and Sirius. And James is clearly faster than Snape.

"All right, Snivellus?" said James loudly. Snape reacted so fast it was as though he had been expecting an attack: Dropping his bag, he plunged his hand inside his robes, and his wand was halfway into the air when James shouted, "Expelliarmus!" Snape's wand flew twelve feet into the air and fell with a little thud in the grass behind him.
James disarmed Snape in the time it took for Snape to attempt to take his wand. Snape was not ambushed as James shouted at him.

"I wouldn't go out with you if it was a choice between you and the giant squid," said Lily. "Bad luck, Prongs," said Sirius briskly, turning back to Snape. "OY!" But too late; Snape had directed his wand straight at James; there was a flash of light and a gash appeared on the side of James's face, spattering his robes with blood. James whirled about; a second flash of light later, Snape was hanging upside down in the air, his robes falling over his head to reveal skinny, pallid legs and a pair of graying underpants
And James was able to use a silent Levicorpus after being hit by a curse, despite being caught off-guard.

I don't recall Snape defeating all four of them other than in a fan-made movie.

Snape is obviously far more powerful than James, but might not be able to defeat him in a fight.

There are many factors in a duel. You can silent someone so they cannot cast verbal charms, dodge or block one's attacks, hit them with a curse before they can react, etc.

SuperKamiNappa said:
^Young James > Young Snape, sure

Prime James > Prime Snape, not necessarily.
Yes of course. But even Young Snape knew more curses than anyone knew in Hogwarts. Still couldn't beat James. There are many factors in a duel.

Oh I just remembered when Voldemort duelled Minverva, Kingsley and Slughorn they were protected by Harry "sacrificing" himself to save them.

Yes of course. But even Young Snape knew more curses than anyone knew in Hogwarts. Still couldn't beat James. There are many factors in a duel.

Oh I just remembered when Voldemort duelled Minverva, Kingsley and Slughorn they were protected by Harry "sacrificing" himself to save them.
Knowledge =\= Power/Reflexes.

So they were amped when they fought Voldemort? I guess that wouldn't scale to Snape.

They were not amped AP-wise, but Harry "died" for everyone in Hogwarts, so they were protected and they cannot be harmed. I'll find the exact quote in the book.

That's contradicted by Voldemort "smiting" people. He one-shot many people in Hogwarts. Also Bellatrix harmed Ginny, which is why Molly attacked.

@The Archdemon Bellatrix nearly hit Ginny with a Killing Curse, that's why Molly attacked. Voldemort did kill people, but that was before Harry "died". I mostly read the books though, which might be why the stuff we remember are slightly different. I believe the books are more canon though.

Harry Potter: "I was ready to die to stop you from hurting these people —"
Lord Voldemort: "But you did not!"
Harry Potter: "— I meant to, and that's what did it. I've done what my mother did. They're protected from you. Haven't you noticed how none of the spells you put on them aren't binding? You can't torture them. You can't touch them."
And I only saw Snape defeated all the Marauders in a fan-made film, not in the books nor the movies.

@The Archdemon Bellatrix nearly hit Ginny with a Killing Curse, that's why Molly attacked. Voldemort did kill people, but that was before Harry "died". I mostly read the books though, which might be why the stuff we remember are slightly different. I believe the books are more canon though.

And I only saw Snape defeated all the Marauders in a fan-made film, not in the books nor the movies.

I also read the books. And I mean, Voldemort seemingly killed people two seconds before he fought Minerva, Shacklebolt and Slughorn.

It was said by Harry that no one was harmed. And I would appreciate it if you quote the part Voldemort "killed" someone. His Full-Body Bind didn't last long on Neville, which is an example of how Harry's "sacrifice" protected them.

"Voldemort was in the centre of the battle, and he was striking and smiting all within reach. Harry could not get a clear shot, but fought his way nearer, still invisible, and the Great Hall became more and more crowded as everyone who could walk forced their way inside"

He was "striking" them, not necessarily killing them. Voldemort was able to cast weak charms that blasted away Minverva, Kingsley and Slughorn too, but was unable to do actual harm.

Well I searched the definition of "smiting" on Google, it says "strike with a firm blow".

Pretty certain the author didn't meant to say Voldemort was killing people, as Harry later on says that he cannot torture nor harm anyone.

That's strange, considering Rowling herself uses the clash between Minerva, Shacklebolt and Slughorn as a feat for the trio.

The Archdemon said:
That's strange, considering Rowling herself uses the clash between Minerva, Shacklebolt and Slughorn as a feat for the trio.
Well if that is so, I suppose they can scale. But when did she say so?

Harry's protection doesn't enhance their AP though, so I guess "At least 9-A, possibly 8-C" could work.

Harry's protection doesn't enhance their AP though, so I guess "At least 9-A, possibly 8-C" could work.
It could, yes. I also remember Minerva saying to Slughorn they should "duel to kill".

Back