• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
must be the norm for such a hated verse. Kinda sad how hated Nasu is in VS circles.
It's not hated here. Very few staff are interested in it in general. I certainly don't have anything against it and I enjoy it a lot. The thread has gone on for a long time primarily because it's a complicated topic, it's a verse with a heavily decentralized canon (being spread out across numerous games, many of which have never been translated), and there is a lot of information to cover.

Do you think Extra Record follows Extra's lore, or Extella's? Or gonna be its own take on the Extra story? Me and some friends off site have been speculating what the premise is and came to the conclusion it's prooooobably a game version of Extella Zero, since so far that only exists as that old blog Nasu made way back.

After seeing the new trailer though I'm unsure and kinda leaning it just being an entirely new take on Extra
This trailer and the past few trailers seems to make it a new take on Fate/Extra.

What I think is  really interesting is that Arcueid's design is a kind of mix between her original and remake designs. I wonder what they're going to do with that...

Is not that bad.
I mean, this is only a problem in 2wei, the others seasons don't have that many fanservice.
I get it but
Call me a prude but I'm just not comfortable with grade schooler fanservice. Even if its "not the focus".
I know, ironic given my name and the nature of Fate itself, but not all magical girl shows have kid fanservice, and not all fate stuff is really about fanservice.

I've just seen a bunch of people say that they hate fate, things related to fate, and the profiles on the wiki. There was a guy with a Kohaku PFP on discord and he said that he loved the character's design, and when someone told him it was a nasuverse character, he sent a vomit emoji and changed his pfp.
Let me ask a different question. Is there a difference between "having haters" and "being hated?" It's not uncommon for verses to have haters. I just don't see how Nasuverse is outside the norm in this regard.

Is there a difference between "having haters" and "being hated?"
I'd say so, yeah.
I just don't see how Nasuverse is outside the norm in this regard.
it's possible that I've just seen more people hating on it than just about anything else. Even with my irl friend groups, most of them don't even watch anime outside of the newer ones, yet almost all of them say that Random Nasuverse Series #2 sucks because other people told them that it sucks or that the watch order is too confusing and they shouldn't even bother starting.

Even with my irl friend groups, most of them don't even watch anime outside of the newer ones, yet almost all of them say that Random Nasuverse Series #2 sucks because other people told them that it sucks or that the watch order is too confusing and they shouldn't even bother starting.
Yeah, idk, this strikes me as odd. Most of my friends don't know about it at all, even the ones that watch anime. I mean, several of the Nasuverse animes aren't very good, and the watch order is indeed confusing, but I really just have never gotten the impression that Nasuverse has any special amount of negativity around it. Most people think well of it, in my experience.

I get it but
Call me a prude but I'm just not comfortable with grade schooler fanservice. Even if its "not the focus".
I know, ironic given my name and the nature of Fate itself, but not all magical girl shows have kid fanservice, and not all fate stuff is really about fanservice.
This is completely fair.

I hate the fanservice, but I think Prisma Illya is good in-spite of that terrible fanservice.

But that's not going to be the case for everyone.

(I kind of wish there was a version of Prisma Illya without the fan service, because then a lot more people who be able to watch it and enjoy it. Actually, why isn't that a thing)?

Yeah, idk, this strikes me as odd. Most of my friends don't know about it at all, even the ones that watch anime. I mean, several of the Nasuverse animes aren't very good, and the watch order is indeed confusing, but I really just have never gotten the impression that Nasuverse has any special amount of negativity around it. Most people think well of it, in my experience.
I think the general anime fan mostly knows the franchise from the memes about it, and/or the Ufotable animes.

I guess the ones who parrot the memes are just more visible and/or annoying.

I've just seen a bunch of people say that they hate fate, things related to fate, and the profiles on the wiki. There was a guy with a Kohaku PFP on discord and he said that he loved the character's design, and when someone told him it was a nasuverse character, he sent a vomit emoji and changed his pfp.
Wait, really? That's hilarious (and petty). Do you know why they hate the Nasuverse so much?

I mean, several of the Nasuverse animes aren't very good
I feel like there are only 3 that I would call actually bad.
the watch order is indeed confusing
I feel like it's made over complicated due to several factors. but I really don't feel like a watch order is needed to enjoy the series or understand the story. I went from Carnival Phantasm, to UBW, to Melty Blood, to Kara no Kyoukai, to Tsukihime while having the most fun I've had exploring a franchise.
I really just have never gotten the impression that Nasuverse has any special amount of negativity around it
could just be a difference in experiences.
Wait, really? That's hilarious (and petty). Do you know why they hate the Nasuverse so much?
I don't think I asked them. It was pretty funny though

This is completely fair.

I hate the fanservice, but I think Prisma Illya is good in-spite of that terrible fanservice.

But that's not going to be the case for everyone.

(I kind of wish there was a version of Prisma Illya without the fan service, because then a lot more people who be able to watch it and enjoy it. Actually, why isn't that a thing)?
Oh no, don't worry, I get it, everyone tells me that the story is good, etc.

But I personally cannot stomach children, even if fictional or animated, being subjected to THOSE kinds of scenes. It's a me thing. (Well tbf a lot of others share my view, but I understand people who also don't care for it and still watch it for the story, is my main gist)

And yeah, if Prisma Illya made the ecchi and romance stuff between literal children non-existent, I'd be able to stomach it.

Sadly, Prisma Illya is one of the highest grossing and longest Fate series, like it has several movies and seasons. So people will always look at it and say "man Fate fans must be all pdfs", even though a lot of the fandom actually hate the fanservice too. Like, even with people who do like the story, I'm pretty sure they hate the fanservice even if they admit the story is good.

Which ones would those be?
I feel like it's made over complicated due to several factors. but I really don't feel like a watch order is needed to enjoy the series or understand the story. I went from Carnival Phantasm, to UBW, to Melty Blood, to Kara no Kyoukai, to Tsukihime while having the most fun I've had exploring a franchise.
... I have many questions about how you took that path, but I'll refrain and just say that I do agree that the "watch order" discussion is way overblown.
could just be a difference in experiences.
I assume that it is. Most of these stories are anecdotal evidence at best, so your experience and Deagonx's are both probably valid.
I don't think I asked them. It was pretty funny though
You should ask them. I want to know their thought process.

Yeah but I mean, that's... three whole anime series. And even as far as "actually bad" goes, people are generally unkind to even animes that are just kind of okay. Fate/Extra Encore wasn't received very well and neither was Apocrypha.

Sure, but Nasuverse is a very unique franchise in that regard compared to most anime. It is genuinely disorienting to the average fan where most series are either entirely self contained to a single anime, or have -- at most -- a single spin-off that covers a prequel/sequel or maybe an alternate timeline. Fate has a ton of stuff, and the naming convention doesn't even really tell you anything about what's what.

There's no obvious reason why Fate/Zero (as a title) is connected to Fate/UBW-SN-HF (and despite being a prequel it's technically an entirely separate timeline unto itself), and it's not clear to anyone that doesn't have the background knowledge that the Heaven's Feel movies are an alternate version of UBW, etc. Then you have FGO which is entirely it's own thing but draws heavily in certain movies from the events of FSN, Fate/EXTRA which is entirely it's own thing, the whole magical girl stuff. It's genuinely very confusing, and while yes they can be enjoyed stand-alone, it's normal for people to want a kind of clear roadmap of what exactly the series is and there isn't one for Nasuverse.

I don't think people "hate" it for that, but it does discourage people.

Oh no, don't worry, I get it, everyone tells me that the story is good, etc.
Cool.
But I personally cannot stomach children, even if fictional or animated, being subjected to THOSE kinds of scenes. It's a me thing. (Well tbf a lot of others share my view, but I understand people who also don't care for it and still watch it for the story, is my main gist)
That is perfectly fair. I'll say that whenever I get to one of those scenes, it's painful for me to watch.

That being said, the manga is much better about it (the anime added a lot more of those scenes, and they're much harder to ignore in the anime), which is part of the reason the manga is better.
And yeah, if Prisma Illya made the ecchi and romance stuff between literal children non-existent, I'd be able to stomach it.
It would elevate the experience even for people like me who like it in-spite of its problems.
Sadly, Prisma Illya is one of the highest grossing and longest Fate series, like it has several movies and seasons. So people will always look at it and say "man Fate fans must be all pdfs", even though a lot of the fandom actually hate the fanservice too.
Yeah, it doesn't help that it's also the series that gets the most collabs, besides maybe Fate/stay night.

It also doesn't help that it has probably the most merchandise of any series besides Fate/Grand Order and maybe Fate/stay night, and most of that merchandise is, uh, definitely made with a  certain audience in mind.

On a lighter note, funnily enough Prisma Illya the second-longest running Nasuverse franchise. The longest (only by a few months) is Fate/School Life, of all things.
Like, even with people who do like the story, I'm pretty sure they hate the fanservice even if they admit the story is good.
Yep, that's me.

It's sad for me, really. I love the idea of a Cardcaptor Sakura-inspired Fate series (CCS is my number one fave anime of all time!!), but Prillya ruined it with uncomfortable kid fanservice.

But anyways, on a lighter note, I think if there's one thing I love about Fate in general is that it has some really amazing OST. FGO in particular is underrated in this regard-- not many people talk about how good the soundtrack is. Grand Battle, Grand Battle 3, Shikisai, etc. It's all so good for "just a mobile game"!

Which ones would those be?
Fate Extra (the Netflix one), Tsukihime: Lunar Legend, and Studio Deen's adaptation of Fate Stay Night. While there are other series that are actually in the franchise that are also questionable or niche, these are the only ones that I feel are actually bad.
... I have many questions about how you took that path
I saw a really funny instagram meme about Carnival Phantasm and decided to watch it without any prior knowledge or context with my irl best friend and we loved it, so we decided to watch a bunch of other stuff at random. I think Fate Zero was the last thing I watched, and that was some time last year.
And even as far as "actually bad" goes, people are generally unkind to even animes that are just kind of okay. Fate/Extra Encore wasn't received very well and neither was Apocrypha.
I see a lot of mixed opinions of Apocrypha. My dad says that he liked it a lot and even complimented the animation, but I also see a lot of people saying it was just decent or disappointing.
It is genuinely disorienting to the average fan where most series are either entirely self contained to a single anime, or have -- at most -- a single spin-off that covers a prequel/sequel or maybe an alternate timeline. Fate has a ton of stuff, and the naming convention doesn't even really tell you anything about what's what.
While I agree that the naming can be confusing, I find it to be barely more confusing than Mobile Suit Gundam (in terms of naming only. I haven't actually seen much of the series, only the millions of titles while I scroll through Crunchyroll).
There's no obvious reason why Fate/Zero (as a title) is connected to Fate/UBW-SN-HF
there isn't, but it's not impossible to infer that. If my mom can do it, I have faith that others can too.
It's genuinely very confusing
I know it is, but I feel that some people make it more confusing than it needs to be, from both fans and people who haven't watched the series. It also doesn't help that the series is based off of a visual novel, which is hardly even a concept in some people's minds.
if there's one thing I love about Fate in general is that it has some really amazing OST.
100% agree. some of the best music I've heard from a series is from Fate.

While I agree that the naming can be confusing, I find it to be barely more confusing than Mobile Suit Gundam (in terms of naming only. I haven't actually seen much of the series, only the millions of titles while I scroll through Crunchyroll).
I don't understand what the argument is. I am aware there are other series with the same issues as Fate.

there isn't, but it's not impossible to infer that. If my mom can do it, I have faith that others can too.
Again, I don't understand what the argument is here. I didn't say it was impossible, I said the naming convention gives no clues to this. (And again, Fate/Zero actually takes place in a different timeline entirely than F/SN).

I know it is, but I feel that some people make it more confusing than it needs to be, from both fans and people who haven't watched the series. It also doesn't help that the series is based off of a visual novel, which is hardly even a concept in some people's minds.
I mean, people can't really help it? It simply is confusing. It's less confusing to you because you already understand it.

I feel like people ""hate Tm" mainly due to the fact TM is a very unique verse compared to most fictions (esphically the older stuff) due to the fact that the older stuff is inaccessible and because of the h scenes in the vns like tsuki, FSN, KT, FHA etc as well as the overexposure of fate and how mediocre it generally is compared to the stuff that came before. From my experience, HST fans tend to REALLY hate fate but like older titles like KNK, Tsukihime, Angel Notes, DDD, Melty etc despite the fact that the worldviews in those stories is the polar opposite of the shonen series they like.

I got Persona vs SMT fandom elitist flashbacks from this....
It's true generally from this and you'd be hard pressed to deny the differences in worldviews between fate and the older series. Dude, one of my off-site friends even joked that fate was TM's persona as in a spinoff franchise that killed the company and made them turn in to a degenerate shell of there former self.

People are people. Everyone is within their rights to like/hate/love/dislike any fictional franchise as people tend to get emotional.

Hell, I ain’t except from the emotional aspect of humanity in general.

However, just because you see people hate on Fate doesn’t mean there aren’t people who enjoy Fate as well.

I generally ignore the biased opinions because how they feel about a fictional verse is simply a opinion.

Basically, it is a opinion shared by specific amounts of people.

Hm... it seems that Fate/Extra Record Arcueid's design (her clothing, at the very least) is inspired a bit more by her design in Tsukihime: A Piece of Blue Glass Moon, but her hair does seem to be based on her original design.

I got Persona vs SMT fandom elitist flashbacks from this....
Elitism will unfortunately arise in any Fandom. (Referring to Fanbases more specifically)

Nasuverse isn’t immune to that as well.

From my perspective, I will simply let people enjoy any fictional work
It's not hated here. Very few staff are interested in it in general. I certainly don't have anything against it and I enjoy it a lot. The thread has gone on for a long time primarily because it's a complicated topic, it's a verse with a heavily decentralized canon (being spread out across numerous games, many of which have never been translated), and there is a lot of information to cover.
This is unfortunately true as well.

I should know since I used to make a Cosmology blog regarding Nasuverse and it is out of date given the sheer amount of info to look into.

Well, more accurately, I tried to make a cosmological blog for Nasuverse myself in the past.

The results was decent at best, mid at worst when it comes to my effort especially I was doing it after I graduated from High School

I don't understand what the argument is.
just that it gets a lot less people talking about its watch order or calling it confusing, which probably has more to do with the fact that it's less niche as a series. but I'm still gonna complain anyways.
It simply is confusing.
and I agreed that it is confusing. I don't think I denied that.
It's less confusing to you because you already understand it.
It was less confusing when I didn't understand it, funnily enough.
Elitism will unfortunately arise in any Fandom. (Referring to Fanbases more specifically)
sadly. it's just how it is sometimes.
Hm... it seems that Fate/Extra Record Arcueid's design (her clothing, at the very least) is inspired a bit more by her design in Tsukihime: A Piece of Blue Glass Moon, but her hair does seem to be based on her original design.
Man I love Arcueid.
Basically, it is a opinion shared by specific amounts of people.
it might be the case. I just wanted to share my thoughts.

I think in some cases Elitism or however one says it is good as it prevents overexposure and a work being degraded to appeal to the tastes of commoners.
Gatekeeping is a different story as imo, it can work, but could also backfire if the intended purpose for said gatekeeping has been sullied.

It is unfortunate that gatekeeper is associated with elitism, but isn’t necessarily the case.

...What?

"The tastes of commoners" is CRAZY, it's just fictional media I promise no one's superior or inferior for something like this 😭
Could reword it with Gatekeeper as that is what I believe SilverKing is referring to.

Last edited:
Gatekeeping is a different story as imo, it can work, but could also backfire if the intended purpose for said gatekeeping has been sullied.

It is unfortunate that gatekeeper is associated with elitism, but isn’t necessarily the case.
True sometimes it does work if the purpose is kept in mind and works getting more recognition doesn't always mean a good thing. I can't tell you how many works have died due to overexposure and being tuned to pander to the masses who will eat up anything with said brands name because brand recognition. I am aware Gatekeeping can backfire horribly.

Back