• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Misconception about the Overvoid

Status
Not open for further replies.
This notion already had been said by him before, in that manner.
Alright? Does Xearsay own that interpretation?

What? Are you reading this right? It said Dax was blinded by the Flaw’s lighting dazzle which is start of the Flash in the coming of events as the scans follows up with the notion. Dax was not in a “lighting dazzle” that was the Flaw to which became Multiverse again.
The Lightning dazzle came from the Flaw, it symbolizes the Flash in two worlds comic, I.e., the introduction of the Multiverse to DC, hence, "the beginning of all things"

No one denied this? State of perfection was the state of existence prior to the Flaw as what can used to describe what Niravana is in Buddhism.

At this point, Overvoid was not so perfect “hitherto” was Flaw after it made immaculate perfection, not so perfect as everything was longer just nothing. Dax Novu, part has nothing to do with it.
Because... that is not the Overvoid, that is Mandrakk.

Literally the entire point of my entire OP, is to explain why this isn't the Overvoid, which you still, up to the 40th post in this thread, have not addressed besides a "I disagree".

Still a Void, this thing that come to its non-existence would dissolve ie Mandrakk. Flaw isn’t a contractions, it’s all contradictions to the Overvoid since all stories takes place there and it’s the Everything to it’s Nothing.
either a handwave, or literally just paraphrasing what I said, I'm actually unsure.

Dude he’s literally saying the same thing here. You’re replying to Kenshin in disagreement and saying the same exact thing as him. Instead of telling other people to pay attention you should heed your own advice.
Oh, yeah not at all relevant to why your points are right. If you’re going to derail with these useless points then don’t say anything at all.

Alright? Does Xearsay own that interpretation?
That’s not the point but sure.
The Lightning dazzle came from the Flaw, it symbolizes the Flash in two worlds comic, I.e., the introduction of the Multiverse to DC, hence, "the beginning of all things"
Which I did not deny but the beginning is in reference to upcoming Crisis events as to why that comic mattered when we were first introduced to Jay. So it’s just an introduction to what we’ll be getting later since no too long after this was Crisis on Infinite Earth.

Your point was how stories began narratively within that context. When that was not at all what was being implied.

Because... that is not the Overvoid, that is Mandrakk.
Mandrakk or more so “Dax Novu” was split from the original Monitor when it found Flaw to be everything it was not. The Flaw's whole existence is a hinderous to its perfection which already predated both Dax and his fall into Mandrakk.

Literally, it was because of the Flaw, that Monitor-Mind created Mandrakk to see what the Flaw was. It was indeed no longer a state of perfection and Dax Novu was never mentioned to be perfect, only the Overvoid. Thus Dax was tainted and Overvoid no longer perfect.
Literally the entire point of my entire OP, is to explain why this isn't the Overvoid, which you still, up to the 40th post in this thread, have not addressed besides a "I disagree".
Nothing of what I said is a handwave and I'm referring to the story. You being confused about why I don't agree isn't any reason to assert such notions of it being a handwave. Please, do you because a lot of these things are being misinterpreted.

Oh, yeah not at all relevant to why your points are right. If you’re going to derail with these useless points then don’t say anything at all.
I’m not derailing anything. Also you’re not even conversing with us in a manner that we can clearly understand. Seriously, I genuinely can’t understand what you’re saying. I can tell you’re just trying to hand-wave everything in the thread but how you’re wording your responses is not clear. And if you’re just gonna type paragraph after paragraph of responses calling our arguments “theories” and “useless” mixed in with incoherency and a lack of explanations, this thread won’t go anywhere.

I’m not derailing anything. Also you’re not even conversing with us in a manner that we can clearly understand. Seriously, I genuinely can’t understand what you’re saying. I can tell you’re just trying to hand-wave everything in the thread but how you’re wording your responses is not clear. And if you’re just gonna type paragraph after paragraph of responses calling our arguments “theories” and “useless” mixed in with incoherency and a lack of explanations, this thread won’t go anywhere.
This is the last response to you with something that has nothing to do with the topic. If you don't understand what was being said by me, that's simply on you.

I literally questioned the flaw within this thread which apparently you contributed with. You also apparently did not understand some things. If a point doesn't strengthen or have any direct correlation to the story then it's “useless” plain and simple. Not to mention, all this is a “theory.” That's literally not hard to understand, the tone in which this thread is being handled expects us to believe this was Grant's intention on stories decades apart simply because they mention a stuble description that could fit the Overvoid. This is easy to deny, when you read the stories yourself and figure your points are only specific to the scans and not at all what the entire story arc is meant to tell us.

I do believe that the Overvoid has some degree of Non-Duality. Whether this degree fits the types this site categorizes is up for debate. What should define a "Type" of this abstract concept is not my area of expertise.
The Overvoid is outside of normal dualism systems but does not transcend them since its relationship with the flaw is a duality representing nothing and everything or something like that. The simple fact that the flaw has tainted the immaculate perfection of the Overvoid proves that the Overvoid can be affected by duality and in turn become a duality.

Additionally, the fact that the Overvoid had to contain the flaw that was everything the Overvoid is not is a very strong evidence of what I'm saying. So the Overvoid may be non-dual in some ways, but does not fit the wiki's exact criteria.

Last edited:
To argue that an author such as Grant Morrison was "referring to different characters" in these two separate instances in reference to the exact same concept is most definitely on your end to prove, not Xearsays, nor me.
It isn't, because you are claiming Overvoid existed in DC decades before its official introduction, but wasn't called Overvoid, because something that has a couple shared qualities was mentioned.

You're free to presume your own conclusion, but count me as a "disagree" if you plan to take the stance that others must disprove your theory rather than you proving it

It isn't, because you are claiming Overvoid existed in DC decades before its official introduction, but wasn't called Overvoid, because something that has a couple shared qualities was mentioned.

You're free to presume your own conclusion, but count me as a "disagree" if you plan to take the stance that others must disprove your theory rather than you proving it
I agree with @Deagonx here. Even if it were, the old information is replaced with the newer ones.

The Overvoid is outside of normal dualism systems but does not transcend them since its relationship with the flaw is a duality representing nothing and everything or something like that. The simple fact that the flaw has tainted the immaculate perfection of the Overvoid proves that the Overvoid can be affected by duality and in turn become a duality.

Additionally, the fact that the Overvoid had to contain the flaw that was everything the Overvoid is not is a very strong evidence of what I'm saying. So the Overvoid may be non-dual in some ways, but does not fit the wiki's exact criteria.
Are you gonna actually respond to any of the arguments in the OP? You were the one who made that downgrade or ability removal thread and the OP quite literally is meant to address that thread in its entirety.

Wouldn't a specific non duality type apply for the Overvoid?

The OP largely recycles arguments that have already been made, and the main new one I see (that info about the Overvoid is actually about Dax Novu) is absolute lunacy.
No it doesn’t, and if you have proof that the OP is just a regurgitation of what someone else already posted please give us the evidence. Also trying to appeal to some form of absurdity by calling the OP lunacy is not a valid way to go about addressing this thread.

I can argue for the very most basic level of non duality for the Overvoid, but even then it's complicated. IMO it's better to not add it.

Doesn't that only apply to General and Plural types?
Well, the problem with specific nonduality is its hard to say whether the dualities it is apart from can still affect it. There's no real demonstrated immunity, it's just called nondual. Which is fine for considering it nondual in a non-wiki context, but the abilities we assign have practical implications that aren't really supported by the evidence.

I can argue for the very most basic level of non duality for the Overvoid, but even then it's complicated. IMO it's better to not add it.
Well, the problem with specific nonduality is its hard to say whether the dualities it is apart from can still affect it. There's no real demonstrated immunity, it's just called nondual. Which is fine for considering it nondual in a non-wiki context, but the abilities we assign have practical implications that aren't really supported by the evidence.
Well, the degree of Non-Duality is there. We just have to describe what specific system it follows and what resistances may or may not apply.

Well, the degree of Non-Duality is there. We just have to describe what specific system it follows and what resistances may or may not apply.
Unfortunately our current system always gives resistances for nonduality:

Nonduality grants the user immunity to attacks and haxes bound by the duality in question, as someone absent of the logical systems that govern those effects would leave them no means to affect their being.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to adding a more non-committal type of nonduality at some point to encompass forms of it that don't necessarily grant any immunities.

I mean, the green lanterns literally held back the overvoid with power rings.

Right, but it demonstrates that DC's idea of nonduality is different from VSBW's
Yeah, but the point was could they have done that without a finite/infinite border helping them? However, it mentions the Multiverse was being slowly consumed.

I think non-duality just comes from the fact it predates any/all systems. It's always been non-dual until of course, it bounded itself. I recommend Type 1 being the closest accurate version for the Overvoid.

Unfortunately our current system always gives resistances for nonduality:

Nonduality grants the user immunity to attacks and haxes bound by the duality in question, as someone absent of the logical systems that govern those effects would leave them no means to affect their being.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to adding a more non-committal type of nonduality at some point to encompass forms of it that don't necessarily grant any immunities.

I mean, the green lanterns literally held back the overvoid with power rings.
I haven't read the GL comic to know the context of that, but I'm pretty sure we have examples of the Overvoid being resistant to at least one thing.

I have an incomplete list of dualities here. Let me know if I missed something that could apply.

I'm not adamantly opposed to Type 1 Nonduality, but I don't think Overvoid is really immune to things due to it, anything it's immune to is likely just due to sheer power differential or abstract existence.

The Overvoid is outside of normal dualism systems but does not transcend them since its relationship with the flaw is a duality representing nothing and everything or something like that.
The Overvoid, does, indeed transcend the concepts and notions of duality.

You haven't particularly addressed the OP at all, besides agreeing with Deagons points, who... didn't address the OP, at all.

That is because that very attribute predated the Overvoid as interduced in FC. And the Overvoid is that very attribute, even if by some fluke Grant Morrison received crippling dementia prior to FC, we as readers can very clearly look at the description "non-dual consciousness" and apply it right back at the Overvoid as the non-dual awareness, your problem isn't in consistency, consistency exists (I.e. it's already called non-dual till this day.)

We accept the Overvoid to be a sort of oneness from its justifications on the cosmology blog, so there is only one non-dual awareness, so whatever the enlightened step of that tower is, its either the Overvoid, or below it, no in-betweens.

The problem in the original thread stemmed from the idea that the statements given by the Multiversity Guidebook implied that there was a sort of duality between the Overvoid and The Flaw, it was decided that this was the case, not proven, but rather decided, this of course, going against the plethora of evidence all calling the Overvoid non-dual.

The OP argues that the story itself disagrees with the idea that the Overvoid and The Flaw even had any interaction, considering the story explicitly calls Mandrakk the part of its consciousness that felt "contaminated" by the Flaw, and by extension, removes literally any argument about them being a duality considering they don't even interact.

As for what aspect in particular, it's 100% Aspect 2, not aspect 1, because the Overvoid is explicitly described as transcendent to the concept of duality, not alien/outside of them.

This scan isn't even about the Overvoid, and it doesn't speak to the manner of "transcending duality" that this wiki operates on.

even if by some fluke Grant Morrison received crippling dementia prior to FC
I don't believe Grant had dementia, of course. I think he reused motifs in different stories. Like how he used "Astral" to mean three completely different things in three different storylines.

I mean. Imagine if we assumed they were all referring to the same thing just because the word "astral" was used instead of actually critically evaluating the circumstances to see that they are different things? That'd be stupid, right?

the Multiversity Guidebook implied that there was a sort of duality between the Overvoid and The Flaw, it was decided that this was the case, not proven, but rather decided
It was proven, on account of the extremely blatant statements saying it was. The flaw is everything perfection is not, Monitor Mind defined itself in relation to the flaw. Anyone denying that this is a duality is motivated by bias, not reason.

You haven't particularly addressed the OP at all, besides agreeing with Deagons points, who... didn't address the OP, at all.

That is because that very attribute predated the Overvoid as interduced in FC. And the Overvoid is that very attribute, even if by some fluke Grant Morrison received crippling dementia prior to FC, we as readers can very clearly look at the description "non-dual consciousness" and apply it right back at the Overvoid as the non-dual awareness, your problem isn't in consistency, consistency exists (I.e. it's already called non-dual till this day.)

We accept the Overvoid to be a sort of oneness from its justifications on the cosmology blog, so there is only one non-dual awareness, so whatever the enlightened step of that tower is, its either the Overvoid, or below it, no in-betweens.

The problem in the original thread stemmed from the idea that the statements given by the Multiversity Guidebook implied that there was a sort of duality between the Overvoid and The Flaw, it was decided that this was the case, not proven, but rather decided, this of course, going against the plethora of evidence all calling the Overvoid non-dual.

The OP argues that the story itself disagrees with the idea that the Overvoid and The Flaw even had any interaction, considering the story explicitly calls Mandrakk the part of its consciousness that felt "contaminated" by the Flaw, and by extension, removes literally any argument about them being a duality considering they don't even interact.

As for what aspect in particular, it's 100% Aspect 2, not aspect 1, because the Overvoid is explicitly described as transcendent to the concept of duality, not alien/outside of them.
Before we try to prove Type 2, let's just start by proving that it's at the very least Type 1 first. Baby steps.

This scan isn't even about the Overvoid, and it doesn't speak to the manner of "transcending duality" that this wiki operates on.
Yes it is about the Overvoid. The 2 out of 7 scans you’re trying to silence, are all directly talking about Grants view of this non-dual God character, which Grant has already stated is the Overvoid.

I don't believe Grant had dementia, of course. I think he reused motifs in different stories. Like how he used "Astral" to mean three completely different things in three different storylines.

I mean. Imagine if we assumed they were all referring to the same thing just because the word "astral" was used instead of actually critically evaluating the circumstances to see that they are different things? That'd be stupid, right?
That’s not the same thing as what we’re doing and this was broken down to you multiple times. You have no proof Grant was referring to 3 completely different things when he talked about God in these scans, and the OP directly proves that these are the same character being talked about. As in a non-dual God, functioning as the pure ground of being for the cosmology.

It was proven, on account of the extremely blatant statements saying it was. The flaw is everything perfection is not, Monitor Mind defined itself in relation to the flaw. Anyone denying that this is a duality is motivated by bias, not reason.
We addressed every single one of these things in the OP, something you have not even responded to, or even engaged with besides just insulting the OP and calling it lunacy. Elizio hasn’t engaged with it either, and has instead opted to regurgitating the claims from his previous thread towards Firestorm while completely avoiding the content within the OP. The only thing you’ve done throughout this whole thread is try to silence 2 of 7 scans that we’ve presented supporting the Overvoid being non-dual. Also these accusations of “bias” are inappropriate and one can easily fling the same statements back at you.

Last edited:
Okay. I remember the last three comments you made essentially amounting to "we believe that these refer to the Overvoid therefore you have to disprove it" and I don't see the need to repeat myself.

You're free to use those scans, but they don't refer to the Overvoid, so it's not really relevant here.

This is all based on the univocality of a word, "non-dual" is not really that up to interpretation or differentiation as you claim it is, matter of fact, it is the attribute given to entities with no differentiation.

My point isn't to say that each "non-dual consciousness" is the Overvoid, its to say that this is the concept that we later see, is the Overvoid. When this attribute in particular is specifically described as the final point of a tower leading into non-duality, a unity of "perfection" then it is a oneness, and there is only one of it.

Okay. I remember the last three comments you made essentially amounting to "we believe that these refer to the Overvoid therefore you have to disprove it" and I don't see the need to repeat myself.

You're free to use those scans, but they don't refer to the Overvoid, so it's not really relevant here.
No those weren’t what my last comments amounted to, and if you think they’re different characters then prove it, because as of right now we have evidence from the comics Grant wrote and WoG which prove that the same thing is being talked about across these stories. And you’re more than welcome to provide evidence against it.

This is all based on the univocality of a word, "non-dual" is not really that up to interpretation or differentiation as you claim it is
The notion that nondual has only one possible interpretation is pretty ridiculous given how much philosophical discussion there is on what exactly it means.

My point isn't to say that each "non-dual consciousness" is the Overvoid, its to say that this is the concept that we later see, is the Overvoid. When this attribute in particular is specifically described as the final point of a tower leading into non-duality, a unity of "perfection" then it is a oneness, and there is only one of it.
As I said, Grant having used these concepts in the past doesn't create continuity or mean its referring to the Overvoid.

We can go in circles about this, but I already debated this at length with Xear. As you can see above, there's not much more to his schtick than him trying to shift the burden of proof.

Correction; we believe that these scans refer to the Overvoid because the Overvoid is a name given to what these scans describe, therefore you have to prove why it would not.

You are essentially trying to gaslight us into thinking that we have to explain our reasoning for something that we already explained, and eitherway, I'm not even asking you to prove anything, just explain your reasonings.

But to move forward, do we all at least agree that the Overvoid has a certain level of non-duality? Is that something that we agree on so we can move to the next part of this discussion.

Correction; we believe that these scans refer to the Overvoid because the Overvoid is a name given to what these scans describe, therefore you have to prove why it would not
You are welcome to hold that belief, but certain qualities being used years and years before Overvoid was created do not justify considering those things the Overvoid.

You are free to believe this theory, but you haven't proven it, and others are not responsible for disproving it.

But to move forward, do we all at least agree that the Overvoid has a certain level of non-duality?
Not in wiki terms, IMO.

Correction; we believe that these scans refer to the Overvoid because the Overvoid is a name given to what these scans describe, therefore you have to prove why it would not.

You are essentially trying to gaslight us into thinking that we have to explain our reasoning for something that we already explained, and eitherway, I'm not even asking you to prove anything, just explain your reasonings.

But to move forward, do we all at least agree that the Overvoid has a certain level of non-duality? Is that something that we agree on so we can move to the next part of this discussion.
Huh??? Isn't the person who makes the positive claim responsible for proving their stance?

Huh??? Isn't the person who makes the positive claim responsible for proving their stance?
We already did prove it’s the same thing being talked about. It’s confirmed through comics and WoG. Deagon disagrees so now he has to disprove what we’re saying, which he’s refusing to do.

Even then, the point is that throughout Final Crisis and Multiversity, the Overvoid was not depicted as transcending duality, so even if you're right, that notion has been abandoned over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back