• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Misconception about the Overvoid

Status
Not open for further replies.
We already did prove it’s the same thing being talked about. It’s confirmed through comics and WoG.
An attribute of the Overvoid being used in an earlier comic about a different concept or character doesn't make them the same thing. If that's your "proof" then consider me unimpressed.

I don't see any WoG used where Grant identifies these as the same thing, I assume this is another case where Grant refers to the aforementioned attribute and you assume that it's all tied together and expect everyone else to assume it too.

Even then, the fact is that throughout Final Crisis and Multiversity, the Overvoid was not depicted as transcending duality, so even if you're right, that notion has been abandoned over the years.
Yes it was depicted as transcending duality and our OP which you haven’t even addressed, quite literally explains this.

Yes it was depicted as transcending duality and our OP which you haven’t even addressed, quite literally explains this.
I read the op but I've seen similar arguments over and over again and I'm tired of responding to them every time. The story clearly shows that the Overvoid can be affected by duality and become a duality, which makes the transcendence the Overvoid has over duality quite questionable.

An attribute of the Overvoid being used in an earlier comic about a different concept or character doesn't make them the same thing. If that's your "proof" then consider me unimpressed.

I don't see any WoG used where Grant identifies these as the same thing, I assume this is another case where Grant refers to the aforementioned attribute and you assume that it's all tied together and expect everyone else to assume it too.
This does not address what we’ve said at all, and to make matters worse you’re already presupposing it’s a different character that just simply shares the shares the same traits. However, we’ve disproven this entirely Doom Patrol and Kid Eternity would both reference a non-dual ground of being called God, which Grant would confirm is the Overvoid.
  1. Morrison - “So I thought of the page as God. The idea being that the Overvoid – as we called it in Final Crisis - of the white page as a space is sort of God. And it’s condensing stories out of itself because it finds its own gigantic white space, self absorbed pristine consciousness, it finds this little stain or mark, this DC Multiverse somebody has drawn.” (Final Crisis IGN interview)
  2. Morrison - “It’s kind of like in Buddhism where there is this pure consciousness that underlies everything, and you can call it god, you can call it the void. It contains everything — all good, all evil, all contradiction, all possibility. Just like the page of a comic.” (Multiversity Wired interview)

This does not address what we’ve said at all, and to make matters worse you’re already presupposing it’s a different character that just simply shares the shares the same traits. However, we’ve disproven this entirely Doom Patrol and Kid Eternity would both reference a non-dual ground of being called God, which Grant would confirm is the Overvoid.
  1. Morrison - “So I thought of the page as God. The idea being that the Overvoid – as we called it in Final Crisis - of the white page as a space is sort of God. And it’s condensing stories out of itself because it finds its own gigantic white space, self absorbed pristine consciousness, it finds this little stain or mark, this DC Multiverse somebody has drawn.” (Final Crisis IGN interview)
  2. Morrison - “It’s kind of like in Buddhism where there is this pure consciousness that underlies everything, and you can call it god, you can call it the void. It contains everything — all good, all evil, all contradiction, all possibility. Just like the page of a comic.” (Multiversity Wired interview)
None of Morrison's comments on the comics page or ink vs comic page were mentioned in the comics. Anyway, I don't have the time or energy for this, so this would be my past comment here.

My points are:

Even if you're right about the Doom Patrol stuffs, the Overvoid's relationship between the Flaw is a duality and had to contain the Flaw that was everything the Overvoid is not. So, the idea that the Overvoid transcend duality (if you're right) has been abandoned over the years.

None of Morrison's words about comic book page or Buddhist pure consciousness were mentioned in Morrison's comics, especially Final Crisis and Multiversity.

Last edited:
I read the op but I've seen similar arguments over and over again and I'm tired of responding to them every time. The story clearly shows that the Overvoid can be affected by duality and become a duality, which makes the transcendence the Overvoid has over duality quite questionable.
Really? Where? And like I said you’re more than free to actually address the arguments and reasonings in the OP, because right now you basically just came in, ignored the entire thread, and immediately begin pushing your precious thread without making any attempt to refute the arguments against it.

Really? Where? And like I said you’re more than free to actually the arguments and reasonings in the OP, because right now you basically just came in, ignored the entire thread, and immediately begin pushing your precious thread without making any attempt to refute the arguments against it.
Elizio already had this argument out in the last thread. It's fine for him to not want to repeat himself ad nauseum.

you’re already presupposing it’s a different character that just simply shares the shares the same traits.
By default we would not assume characters are the same and then attempt to prove they are different. My stance is the appropriate default.

However, we’ve disproven this entirely Doom Patrol and Kid Eternity would both reference a non-dual ground of being called God, which Grant would confirm is the Overvoid.
Here we go again. A shared attribute. Amazing.

In this case, back to point one, the OP, address the ideas provided by the OP. Summarizing the points discussed in the OP, or just rewriting them here is useless when that is the entire point of the original post, to be the main bulk of the CRT.

Running around in circles and saying that it's actually my job to address your points when I am the one that made the points to begin with (implying that the thread doesn't exist) is deflecting.

That's not even mentioning the fact how the two statements that we are currently arguing about aren't even the only instances that the Overvoid was described as non-dual, so by even arguing about this, we are essentially arguing about a small subset of a part, of another part of the greater OP, disagreeing with it, then justifying disagreeing with the entire thread with that part.

Let's look at an example, one posted only a minute ago.

Elizio here disagrees with the thread, does not address why he disagrees then makes an already addressed claim without addressing the response to it.

This is textbook argument from ignorance.

Elizio here disagrees with the thread, does not address why he disagrees then makes an already addressed claim without addressing the response to it.
Arguments are not a last word contest. If he addresses your response, and then you once again address his, is he obligated to keep responding ad infinitum and then whoever gives up first loses?

It's enough to simply not be persuaded. Our stance on the arguments is clear.

Also, what you're describing has literally nothing to do with "Argument from Ignorance" and in fact it could be said that taken the stance that "we believe they're the same character because no one has disproven it" is in fact an argument from ignorance.

None of Morrison's comments on the comics page or ink vs comic page were mentioned in the comics.
It’s very much reflected in his work and the OP explains this. Actually let’s break this down.

You disagree with the OP and claimed that you’ve read the OP but you’ve simultaneously refused to address anything it. And you refused to address the OP off the excuse that you believe these arguments were already made and addressed multiple times in the past. I asked you for proof these arguments were previously created and addressed multiple times already, and you straight up ignored my request for evidence. You and Deagon are quite literally ignoring the OP and pretending it does not exist, disagreeing with the proposal out of ignorance, and then demanding us to prove what we’ve already given reasons for in the OP. Which is insane to say the least.

I asked you for proof these arguments were previously created and addressed multiple times already, and you straight up ignored me.
Do you think Elizio is like, your servant or something? You can read the earlier thread yourself if you want, but it isn't Elizio's job to convince you.

You and Deagon are quite literally ignoring the OP and pretending it does not exist
"Pretending the OP doesn't exist?" Good grief.

Do you think Elizio is like, your servant or something? You can read the earlier thread yourself if you want, but it isn't Elizio's job to convince you.
No, I think that Elizio and you should have to actually interact with the arguments within the proposal you’re disagreeing with. Something you’re both refusing to do.

Arguments are not a last word contest. If he addresses your response, and then you once again address his, is he obligated to keep responding ad infinitum and then whoever gives up first loses?
Debates require arguments, that is the most basic fundamental rule of a debate, for both sides to even have a debate there has to be a clear and obvious argument, and an opposing argument to that.

The very fact that I made this thread, immediately places me in the spot where the opposing side is obligated to make an argument as to why they oppose my side, we are not on a cafeteria having small talk about a topic, this is a content revision thread.

Your analogy here does not work when I am literally just describing the very basics of what a debate is, a disagreement requires an argument as to why it is a disagreement, without an argument it is simply an appeal to ignorance fallacy.

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence, in this case, you haven't addressed anything in the thread, and thus, it is an absence of an argument, but still, you use it [your absent argument] as a reason for your disagreement.

An appeal to ignorance is believing something is true because there isn't evidence to the contrary, I don't know what you seem to think it means, but you're using it incorrectly. In fact, believing these older scans refer to the Overvoid because "no one has provided proof otherwise" is actually an appeal to ignorance per the meaning of the phrase.

Regardless, Elizio and I have already provided rebuttals and much of this was covered in the last thread. We needn't continue arguing perpetually for that to be considered valid.

Better yet, instead of hyperfixating on the mods that disagree with you, it'd likely be more gainful to focus on actually persuading some mods of your view, since that will be required to pass the thread regardless.

Type 1 non-duality is a possibility, but I don't see any of these other proposals being likely to pass.

Regardless, Elizio and I have already provided rebuttals and much of this was covered in the last thread. We needn't continue arguing perpetually for that to be considered valid.
This is essentially an admission to not making any arguments against the rebuttal thread, but rather just agreeing with the previous rebutted thread.

Better yet, instead of hyperfixating on the mods that disagree with you, it'd likely be more gainful to focus on actually persuading some mods of your view, since that will be required to pass the thread regardless.
I don't really get the point of deflecting my attention to try to make me just stop noticing how your disagreements are built on air, essentially.

Admit that you do not have arguments, if you still don't agree without a specific reason (which you are already doing, right now) then stay neutral, that's what the neutral section is for.

This is essentially an admission to not making any arguments against the rebuttal thread, but rather just agreeing with the previous rebutted thread.
It would be if I hadn't said "we provided our rebuttals" and if you ignore the word "much"

But sure?

Admit that you do not have arguments, if you still don't agree without a specific reason (which you are already doing, right now) then stay neutral, that's what the neutral section is for.
Whew lad.

You're free to hold whatever beliefs you need to about my stance or argument, but I'm still a firm disagree.

You’ve provided 0 rebuttals to the content of the OP. You claim that our arguments have already been addressed in Elizio’s previous thread but where? Elizio said the same thing and I asked both of you for proof of this and you both never gave it to me.

Even if you're right about the Doom Patrol stuffs, the Overvoid's relationship between the Flaw is a duality and had to contain the Flaw that was everything the Overvoid is not. So, the idea that the Overvoid transcend duality (if you're right) has been abandoned over the years.
I didn’t see this initially because I quoted your response before you edited your comment. The OP literally addresses how this is explicitly not the case. And for probably the 12th time, you are very welcome to address the contents within the OP.

None of Morrison's words about comic book page or Buddhist pure consciousness were mentioned in Morrison's comics, especially Final Crisis and Multiversity.
Yes they were, and this was not only explained in the OP but we also gave for this being the case a well. It is not our job to regurgitate our own thread under own thread multiple times because you want to pretend like what we’ve said in the OP doesn’t exist.

If you say so.
Nah nah nah. Don’t give a sarcastic response, I’m legitimately asking you to give me evidence for the claim you just made. So prove it. I’m literally waiting. Where is the evidence that the arguments within the entirety of our OP have already been made somewhere else and that you two have already previously addressed them?

I'm not saying that I disagree with your arguments, I am denying their existence due to you not even making them in the first place, big difference.

And no, I'm still not leaving this until you admit that you've disagreed for the sake of disagreeing, an abuse of the CRT system.

You can continue to repeat yourself over and over again, but it's not helping this thread at all. By this point you've repeated yourself so many times that people aren't even going to want to get involved in the thread.

You've made it abundantly clear that you hold the opinion that me and Elizio haven't properly addressed the thread. Good for you. I am not interested in trying to change your mind.

Okay, this has devolved into blatant spam, so I'm going to be removing the repetitions and ask you not to clog the thread even further with this.

I think everyone makes sense, I'm leaning more toward Deagon because his views align with mine on this topic. I can see non-duality for Overvoid but that is about it and the Dax Novu stuff, I have stated, I disagree with.

I cast my vote to disagree with this thread. Thank You!

I personally think that type 1 nonduality definitely seems fine at the very least, and I think that more truly nondual entities can also find all of the degeneration, madness, cruelty, malevolence, disease, division/egotism, and morbidity of reality disgusting without actually being affected by it in other ways, so type 2 nonduality may also be a possibility, if that is the nature of the Overvoid being "affected" by the flaw.

I personally think that type 1 nonduality definitely seems fine at the very least,
Part of my issue is that this is more or less a rehash of the voting that happened in Elizio33's thread in October. I'm not terribly opposed to some unspecific nonduality, but the new arguments being brought in this thread really aren't picking up any steam (like the idea that the info about the Overvoid in the comics is actually about Dax Novu) and the rest are things that were already argued last time.

I personally think that type 1 nonduality definitely seems fine at the very least, and I think that more truly nondual entities can also find all of the degeneration, madness, cruelty, malevolence, disease, division/egotism, and morbidity of reality disgusting without actually being affected by it in other ways, so type 2 nonduality may also be a possibility, if that is the nature of the Overvoid being "affected" by the flaw.
The thread argues that the Overvoid itself is a literal non-dual abstract mind, and then argues how Mandrakk is essentially the part of the Overvoid that felt the "contamination", or "infection" coming from the Flaw itself.

Which would then imply that the actual Overvoid, which was previously stated to be non-dual and devoid of contradictions (the Flaw, for example, is a contradiction) would also just simply be completely unaffected by any of this, considering it essentially engulfed Mandrakk in its perfection, thus resolving the part of it that felt the contamination.

(I.e., the Overvoid was never infected, or in any relationship with the Flaw, as the thread argues)

Mandrakk is essentially the part of the Overvoid that felt the "contamination", or "infection" coming from the Flaw itself.

Which would then imply that the actual Overvoid, which was previously stated to be non-dual and devoid of contradictions (the Flaw, for example, is a contradiction) would also just simply be completely unaffected by any of this, considering it essentially engulfed Mandrakk in its perfection, thus resolving the part of it that felt the contamination.
Not really possible. Even before Dax was brought into existence, Overvoid was shocked by the Flaw and made the Orrery to contain it and prevent it from spreading further. It also chose to define itself in relation to the Flaw, forming a duality with it.

Moreover, considering Mandrakk a "part" of the Overvoid makes the notion of true duality even more challenging to justify.

Not really possible. Even before Dax was brought into existence, Overvoid was shocked by the Flaw and made the Orrery to contain it and prevent it from spreading further. It also chose to define itself in relation to the Flaw, forming a duality with it.
The bolded part is untrue, Dax was not brought into existence, but was rather explicitly an extension of Monitor designed to fit in the Flaw.

We do understand how it is essentially impossible to describe the Overvoid in any sense of the word, seen in the Arthurmag interview where Grant says that God would essentially resolve all thoughts, including thoughts regarding its own self. The Book of Limbo, which is quite literally all possible books shows this, by acknowledging how it is all possible descriptions, as well as the story that has all stories within it, but then explicitly calling the Overvoid to be beyond thought.

By that very metric, to even call the Overvoid an "immaculate intelligence" or "Monitor" you, in fact, put it within the bounds of thought, which it explicitly isn't dependent or limited to. That, on it's own, is a debunk to the idea of the Overvoid being within any duality via the Multiversity scans, because whatever the Cave understands of the Overvoid is not even the full scope of the Overvoid, you would be assuming that an intentionally limited perspective on the Overvoid is in a duality, when even just saying that, makes it a "thought", and thus, the actual full, undefinable scope of the Overvoid, stays non-dual all the same.

This is seen in FC, when Mandrakks contamination also ends up in the Overvoid being described as "infected", even though, we know very well that Mandrakk is the part of it that took the "contamination", and by extension, considering the contamination arised specifically out of "Monitor Examination" and the extension of itself that was designed to fit in the Flaw, the actual unextended Mandrakk is what we see in the Cave and in the Book of Limbo, the part of it that viewed it as a "flaw" in the first place. This illustration should explain it better.

Adobe_Express_20231207_1853330_1.png

Moreover, considering Mandrakk a "part" of the Overvoid makes the notion of true duality even more challenging to justify.
No, not really. I'm not really arguing for a monadic type entity with absolutely no parts so this is unrelated, Eternitys transduality for example is far higher then the transduality I'm proposing for the Overvoid, but definitely is seen having "parts" of itself throughout the years.

Eitherway, this argument falls apart when we recognise the idea that Mandrakk as a Monitor is essentially a thought of the Overvoid, as well as explicitly within a duality that falls apart right before its unity. Combine that with the Kid Eternity scans that describe the fall and rise of consciousness from non-duality to duality, and Mandrakk is no more then an emanation of the Overvoid, the emanation that felt that the Void was contaminated. So again, "part" here is very metaphysical.

The bolded part is untrue, Dax was not brought into existence, but was rather explicitly an extension of Monitor designed to fit in the Flaw.
The scan don't say that.
By that very metric, to even call the Overvoid an "immaculate intelligence" or "Monitor" you, in fact, put it within the bounds of thought, which it explicitly isn't dependent or limited to. That, on it's own, is a debunk to the idea of the Overvoid being within any duality via the Multiversity scans, because whatever the Cave understands of the Overvoid is not even the full scope of the Overvoid, you would be assuming that an intentionally limited perspective on the Overvoid is in a duality, when even just saying that, makes it a "thought", and thus, the actual full, undefinable scope of the Overvoid, stays non-dual all the same.
The Cave and the Book of Limbo describe the Over-void very well, in fact there's no reason why they shouldn't, they're the only records within the comic that give the reader a good reliable narrative, but apparently only the same lines you use are unreliable when they're used against your points.
This is seen in FC, when Mandrakks contamination also ends up in the Overvoid being described as "infected", even though, we know very well that Mandrakk is the part of it that took the "contamination", and by extension, considering the contamination arised specifically out of "Monitor Examination" and the extension of itself that was designed to fit in the Flaw, the actual unextended Mandrakk is what we see in the Cave and in the Book of Limbo, the part of it that viewed it as a "flaw" in the first place. This illustration should explain it better.
Mandrakk is the part of Dax Novu who was contaminated, Mandrakk isn't the part of the Overvoid who felt contaminated.
Eitherway, this argument falls apart when we recognise the idea that Mandrakk as a Monitor is essentially a thought of the Overvoid, as well as explicitly within a duality that falls apart right before its unity. Combine that with the Kid Eternity scans that describe the fall and rise of consciousness from non-duality to duality, and Mandrakk is no more then an emanation of the Overvoid, the emanation that felt that the Void was contaminated. So again, "part" here is very metaphysical.
The scan also doesn't say "Mandrakk as a Monitor is essentially a thought of the Overvoid".
  • It reacted as a godlike mega-mind would do----it generated a race of "angels" or "monitors"
Which goes to show that Mandrakk is not an extension of the Over-void, although is from Dax Novu, which is the evil manifestation of. It is only said that he was generated, therefore created, just like the Angels created by the Source aren't essentially the Source, though paradoxically, it's everything.

The more I read from the OP. The less it makes sense, Mandrakk was originally part of Dax Novu. So the “part” of the Monitor would refer to when he was Dax Novu which was “contaminated” by the Multiverse. Overvoid was just curious on the nature of the Flaw that hinder its perfection.

Type 1 does seem to work. The list of dualities of Firestrom brought seems fine though some do not apply to Overvoid. I thinks it’s best to see which of those duality pertains to the Overvoid.

The scan don't say that.
It’s seen in the scan, probe is blending in with the background of the flaw.

The Cave and the Book of Limbo describe the Over-void very well, in fact there's no reason why they shouldn't, they're the only records within the comic that give the reader a good reliable narrative, but apparently only the same lines you use are unreliable when they're used against your points.
What’s in the OP is the reason. And we have very pull together arguments, visuals, and explanations that prove exactly why the book of limbo and the cave shouldn’t be able to grasp the Overvoid and only the limited understanding that is Dax Novu.

Mandrakk is the part of Dax Novu who was contaminated, Mandrakk isn't the part of the Overvoid who felt contaminated.
We already went over this. Secret files and WoG refute this claim entirely.

It’s seen in the scan, probe is blending in with the background of the flaw.
He was talking about how Kenshin was saying that Dax Novu was not created, that he was specifically extended as part of the Monitor to secure contact. Which is still unproven by the scan of whether Dax was created or not, more likely that he was considering Overvoid was the only thing for a while.
What’s in the OP is the reason. And we have very pull together arguments, visuals, and explanations that prove exactly why the book of limbo and the cave shouldn’t be able to grasp the Overvoid and only the limited understanding that is Dax Novu.
This doesn’t make it truer. The cave and the book specifically went over the history and nature of the Monitors starting with who gave them life.

Grasping the nature of the Overvoid can still be understood as “infinite nothing” which they referred as immaculate perfection. There’s nothing to suggest that the book nor the cave writing were wrong, not being able to grasp it sounds false when they the people saw how the beginning was. They weren’t putting concept to the Overvoid, they were describing what it was in relation to the Flaw, in a dualistic way.
We already went over this. Secret files and WoG refute this claim entirely.
No, they didn’t?

How is that "explicit" when the scan you just linked literally doesn't say any of those things?

it is essentially impossible to describe the Overvoid in any sense of the word, seen in the Arthurmag interview where Grant says that God would essentially resolve all thoughts, including thoughts regarding its own self.
First, if Overvoid is indescribable we would just not index him, since the entire purpose of this website is to describe things.

Second, none of that is in the comics, and I don't even see how you're getting "indescribable" from the phrase "resolves thoughts." I'm not even sure what it means to "resolve" a thought.

Second, none of that is in the comics, and I don't even see how you're getting "indescribable" from the phrase "resolves thoughts." I'm not even sure what it means to "resolve" a thought.
Given the nature of the Overvoid as well as what Grant added. It’s just saying there’s no description of thoughts or words to describe a monaditic entity.

Kenshin suggests where God is where all thoughts fade including ones on him. Though he could mean dissolve and he tried with a synonym which sounded not quite the way he expected.

Last edited:
The scan don't say that.
Why though, that's word for word what it says.

Monitor extends a probe... designed to blend in with its surroundings,
If your problem lies in what exactly Mandrakk is an extension of, then it is the Overvoid, the Overvoid generated him.

I'm not sure what even is the argument here, that the book of Limbo and the Cave describe the Overvoid "good enough"? How exactly does that counter the Overvoid being beyond thought?

My point isn't how "accurate" the story is, its how whatever they do, they've already limited the Overvoid, and are now referring to a lower unity.

The scan also doesn't say "Mandrakk as a Monitor is essentially a thought of the Overvoid".
  • It reacted as a godlike mega-mind would do----it generated a race of "angels" or "monitors"
It's honestly basic deductive reasoning here, the Overvoid is a "mind" per say, the Monitors have been generated within that mind, so they are thoughts of the Overvoid, figments of its imagination.

Which goes to show that Mandrakk is not an extension of the Over-void, although is from Dax Novu, which is the evil manifestation of. It is only said that he was generated, therefore created, just like the Angels created by the Source aren't essentially the Source, though paradoxically, it's everything.
Why would it not be? The Overvoid "extends" a probe, as I have already explained, for the Overvoid to even do anything it immediately has to be an emanation, if Mandrakk is extended by the Overvoid and represents a part of a duality where he is "all-evil", then that is simply another fall from non-duality.

Also seen when the Monitors are referred to as "direct descendents" even though the Overvoid didn't particularly... reproduce.

Grasping the nature of the Overvoid can still be understood as “infinite nothing” which they referred as immaculate perfection. There’s nothing to suggest that the book nor the cave writing were wrong, not being able to grasp it sounds false when they the people saw how the beginning was.
That is, again, not what I was saying. What I am saying is that to even think of the Overvoid, you have thought of a limited scope out of it, to say "The Overvoid is an immaculate perfection", you have no thought of something to describe the Overvoid, that thought gets resolved back into its unity, thus, you have described an "unresolved" Overvoid.

First, if Overvoid is indescribable we would just not index him, since the entire purpose of this website is to describe things.
We do, indeed, index indescribable entities. This is becoming a little desperate.

That is again, indeed, seen in the comics, the Multiversity map calls it beyond thought, the Book of Limbo, which is all possible books, described it as beyond thought and understanding as a whole.

Goofy, surprisingly explained it best, how being beyond thought, includes thoughts of itself, and how that interview simply reaffirmed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back