• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MCU Phase 4 General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine if tom was playing în it
87535cf3b37436532ae8945bd9cb7fd6.gif

Author Tara Bennett's final word on the matter of canonicity, which makes it seem like perhaps the book isn't intended to make any official statements on canon, but is more focused on covering the history of projects creatively produced by Marvel Studios, not so much on Marvel Television.

For what it's worth, when searching through Reddit, I found some more direct quotes apparently taken directly from the book.

Supposedly the only real mention of AOS in the book:
"Although the character of Coulson would eventually topline ABC's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. television series, which began airing in September 2013, Whedon is quick to confirm that Coulson's death in The Avengers is definitive, and that the TV show "always was a separate thing- it was really separate from the movies. I was also clear: We can do it in the TV show, but we can't do it in the movies. 'Hey, this beloved character you thought was dead is back' is the worst thing the sequels could do.""

Supposedly the Marvel TV section:
"By this point in Marvel Studios' lifespan, Kevin Feige, Louis D'Esposito, and Victoria Alonso- along with their internal creative executive producers-were finding themselves progressively at major impasses with the powers that be at Marvel Entertainment in New York.
Around this time, on the business side, a progression of choices made by New York would impact the continuing development slate of Marvel Studios- and that impact would be ongoing, years into the future. In 2013, when the 2012 deadline for 20th Century Fox to make a sequel to their 2003 Daredevil film lapsed, Matt Murdock and Elektra reverted back to Marvel's pool of usable characters. New Line likewise gave Blade back to Marvel in 2012. And when Sony's Ghost Rider franchise fizzled with 2011's Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, he also came back in-house, along with Sony's license for a never-produced Luke Cage movie. Last but not least, Lionsgate's license for The Punisher also reverted back to Marvel Entertainment.
While many observers assumed that this entire stable of characters would go directly into Marvel Studios' movie development process, it was decided by Marvel Entertainment's higher-ups that because the movie side was already deeply committed to their successful Avengers characters, and the impending Guardians of the Galaxy characters, that the returnees would instead help build a planned TV empire under the direct control of Marvel Entertainment (entirely separate from Marvel Studios). The film side had no control over those characters, despite their interest in developing them. Instead, they all went to Marvel Entertainment. Ghost Rider appeared in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, and the others were placed in different streaming series."

Author Tara Bennett's final word on the matter of canonicity, which makes it seem like perhaps the book isn't intended to make any official statements on canon, but is more focused on covering the history of projects creatively produced by Marvel Studios, not so much on Marvel Television.

For what it's worth, when searching through Reddit, I found some more direct quotes apparently taken directly from the book.

Supposedly the only real mention of AOS in the book:
"Although the character of Coulson would eventually topline ABC's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. television series, which began airing in September 2013, Whedon is quick to confirm that Coulson's death in The Avengers is definitive, and that the TV show "always was a separate thing- it was really separate from the movies. I was also clear: We can do it in the TV show, but we can't do it in the movies. 'Hey, this beloved character you thought was dead is back' is the worst thing the sequels could do.""

"By this point in Marvel Studios' lifespan, Kevin Feige, Louis D'Esposito, and Victoria Alonso- along with their internal creative executive producers-were finding themselves progressively at major impasses with the powers that be at Marvel Entertainment in New York.
Around this time, on the business side, a progression of choices made by New York would impact the continuing development slate of Marvel Studios- and that impact would be ongoing, years into the future. In 2013, when the 2012 deadline for 20th Century Fox to make a sequel to their 2003 Daredevil film lapsed, Matt Murdock and Elektra reverted back to Marvel's pool of usable characters. New Line likewise gave Blade back to Marvel in 2012. And when Sony's Ghost Rider franchise fizzled with 2011's Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, he also came back in-house, along with Sony's license for a never-produced Luke Cage movie. Last but not least, Lionsgate's license for The Punisher also reverted back to Marvel Entertainment.
While many observers assumed that this entire stable of characters would go directly into Marvel Studios' movie development process, it was decided by Marvel Entertainment's higher-ups that because the movie side was already deeply committed to their successful Avengers characters, and the impending Guardians of the Galaxy characters, that the returnees would instead help build a planned TV empire under the direct control of Marvel Entertainment (entirely separate from Marvel Studios). The film side had no control over those characters, despite their interest in developing them. Instead, they all went to Marvel Entertainment. Ghost Rider appeared in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, and the others were placed in different streaming series."
This just makes things more and more confusing

With how confusing the issue of canonicity is (considering we also have stuff like Clark Gregg making it seem like Kevin Feige doesn't want to decanonize AOS and is trying to avoid further contradicting it out of respect for the fanbase and Matt Shakman stating that he "would imagine" that the Darkhold from WandaVision is the same one from AOS despite it's different design), we'll probably need a blog on canonicity at some point. If we separate AOS into a separate verse profile, I think that page and the MCU verse page should still have links to each other.

This just makes things more and more confusing
While many observers assumed that this entire stable of characters would go directly into Marvel Studios' movie development process, it was decided by Marvel Entertainment's higher-ups that because the movie side was already deeply committed to their successful Avengers characters, and the impending Guardians of the Galaxy characters, that the returnees would instead help build a planned TV empire under the direct control of Marvel Entertainment (entirely separate from Marvel Studios). The film side had no control over those characters, despite their interest in developing them. Instead, they all went to Marvel Entertainment. Ghost Rider appeared in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, and the others were placed in different streaming series.
This isn't about the canonicity of the projects it's moreso about the development and where the thought process was with the shows clashing with what the already established and being stuck with on the film side of things just allowing the properties that they had access to but didn't want to throw into the universe when they were sticking with the characters and story already established in the films to be used in Television and explorer there.
Considering Bennett also said this along with other things I it directly does speak to what's canon as it's the same book that spoke on and confirmed Agent Carters canonicity
For those who hadn't read Marvel's newest book, this news resulted in both confusion and frustration, with some stating that Agent Carter must fall in the category of non-canon. In regard to these claims, Bennet posted , "Please go read the book:"

"Please go read the book where it clearly states how each show works in the MCU. You are not tweeting what we wrote.""

For anyone whose still not convinced either this is the final word on this:

"Lastly, the Marvel author chose to spell it all out in a final tweet stating that the book is "MS's [Marvel Studios'] history" and it "says what you want to know:"

"We just spent 3.5 years writing 250K words in a book that lays out MS's [Marvel Studios'] history w/ the TV shows. It's all in the book with quotes from the players. I'm not making statements for MS when the book is their history & says what you want to know."

In The Story of Marvel Studios , one of the only direct mentions of Agents of SHIELD comes off a quote from Joss Whedon when he confirms that Coulson's death in The Avengers is described as "definitive." According to Whedon, Agents of SHIELD "always was a separate thing — it was really separate from the movies. I was also clear: We can do it in the TV show, but we can't do it in the movies. 'Hey, this beloved character you thought was dead is back' is the worst thing the sequels can do.""
There's also this too using the same quote straight from the book along with further elaboration from Bennett

I was going to post a rant on these ads that are taking up a third of the page on mobile, but I want to just ask, are they frustrating for you all as they are for me?

Anyway, did have a wacky dream but no Marvel stuff this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back