• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

General DC Comics Discussion Thread

They’re probably just as or if not more unreliable than they were before. The tiers don’t make any sense, the profiles for the cosmic characters weren’t made any better, and the cosmologies for Morrison/Snyder and Dematteis should definitely scale higher.
Not good because insufficient research was done
Any reasoning for why this is the case? If you would like to present a case for upgrading or revamping the profiles, then I'm all ears, but complaining about the cosmology split is nothing new to me.

Well, for starters, removing Animal Man holds no basis on anything. No Chain-scaling issues, no Incongruent Ratings and no Incompatibilities.

So adding that back would be a great step

I’m going to preface this by reminding everyone: I don’t like cosmology stuff that much, nor do I have any interest in engaging in a discussion about it. This is just what I’ve seen.

The two main complaints I’ve seen are that:
A. There’s no canonical basis for the split
B. It only takes like five writers into account, even though DC is a franchise that’s been around for almost 90 years with hundreds of writers. Taking out such a limited number, not explaining where other cosmologies would scale and completely neglecting certain eras of DC (i.e. Pre-Crisis) makes it come off as arbitrary.

And a complaint I had was that the initial application was incredibly rushed and sloppy. There were several characters where y’all just went through and changed the tier, neglecting to edit the stat justifications to match the new changes.

Any reasoning for why this is the case? If you would like to present a case for upgrading or revamping the profiles, then I'm all ears, but complaining about the cosmology split is nothing new to me.
What LordTracer said. Splitting by writer is not something done in other series, so why should it be done with DC? Should we also split a character's powerset, personality and statistics by writers?

Serious question: how reliably do you think we've tiered the cosmology split? As it stands, I find the cosmology page's formatting substandard for such a prominent verse, and we don't have profiles for a bunch of the characters there. I've also seen a bunch of people claim some parts of the cosmology should still be 1-A, which I've never quite understood. Marvel and DC's cosmic profiles were all unreliable and clunky before the recent overhauls; I've managed to properly make sense of Marvel now while DC's only improvement is that we scrubbed off the egregiously unjustified tiers.
You're hearing from a lot of the people who opposed the split in the first place and wanted certain characters to stay extremely high.

How reliable are the profiles? Well, they are certainly way better than before, but the project lost steam at some point due to how long everything took, which is why some of the formatting suffered. There's certainly room for improvement,.

What LordTracer said. Splitting by writer is not something done in other series, so why should it be done with DC? Should we also split a character's powerset, personality and statistics by writers?
The split happened because the differing takes were just too irreconcilable to be cross-scaled at face value. With Marvel, Ultima took the time and effort to craft a convincing case for compositing different authors' cosmologies despite Marvel's contradictions. I'm open to someone trying the same for DC, but merely complaining about the split without offering actual evidence against it isn't going to convince anyone.

Don't know if i can put this hear

Last edited:
The split happened because the differing takes were just too irreconcilable to be cross-scaled at face value. With Marvel, Ultima took the time and effort to craft a convincing case for compositing different authors' cosmologies despite Marvel's contradictions. I'm open to someone trying the same for DC, but merely complaining about the split without offering actual evidence against it isn't going to convince anyone.
Ok, and should we also split abilities based on writers?

In truth, the cosmologies are not actually split by writer. They are split by continuities that happen to align relatively consistently with a single writer, but that isn't without exception. We allow a lot of cross-over when there's a clear reason to do so. We aren't talking about splitting up Superman into a key for everyone who wrote him.

DeMatteis, for instance, played in his own isolated cosmological sandbox that incorporated very little of what other writers were doing, and no other writers really pulled anything from his work. Pralaya, for instance, is best understood as existing in a DeMatteis "vacuum" of sorts because no one else has ever referenced her existence. Envisioning a composite cosmology where Perpetua and Pralaya have some sort of scaling chain between them, IMO, is really just not ideal at all.

Most characters affected by the cosmology split only exist in one cosmology, so it's not on the profiles.
I'm talking about splitting DC character's abilities and keys based on writer. Not just the ones who scale to the cosmology, but every single character in DC

In truth, the cosmologies are not actually split by writer. They are split by continuities that happen to align relatively consistently with a single writer, but that isn't without exception. We allow a lot of cross-over when there's a clear reason to do so. We aren't talking about splitting up Superman into a key for everyone who wrote him.

DeMatteis, for instance, played in his own isolated cosmological sandbox that incorporated very little of what other writers were doing, and no other writers really pulled anything from his work. Pralaya, for instance, is best understood as existing in a DeMatteis "vacuum" of sorts because no one else has ever referenced her existence. Envisioning a composite cosmology where Perpetua and Pralaya have some sort of scaling chain between them, IMO, is really just not ideal at all.
Not referencing does not equate to non canon. By the same token, the whole JLD comic would be a different continuity and we should also split Zatanna and John Constantine's profile and add feats from DeMatteis' comics into its own key

I'm talking about splitting DC character's abilities and keys based on writer. Not just the ones who scale to the cosmology, but every single character in DC
The cosmology was split because of extreme contradictions between different takes on it. Show me one character written so differently that splitting their P&A between authors would be necessary, and then we'll talk.

Not referencing does not equate to non canon.
Sure, I mean this is the canned response I get whenever I discuss this, but we aren't talking about two characters who live in Gotham but never met, and just assuming they never happened to cross paths. We're referring to the very highest cosmic beings with overlapping descriptions, functions, and domains, with no sense of continuity between them at all.

You are more than welcome to hold the philosophy that the best way to understand the verse is to mash it all together in spite of that, but I absolutely disagree.

And a complaint I had was that the initial application was incredibly rushed and sloppy. There were several characters where y’all just went through and changed the tier, neglecting to edit the stat justifications to match the new changes.
We are very open to help from competent and knowledgeable members to improve on the changes to individual pages and to the formatting of our DC Comics Cosmology page, but the cosmology page in itself has been very thoroughly researched and officially accepted.

And the DC Comics cosmology page has around 173 references, if I remember correctly. It has been thoroughly handled, even though I am very open to improvements in the language/wordings of the page, as well as further improvements on the practical applications (edits) of this accepted revision to our affected character profile pages, both from our project members and other knowledgeable members.

@Eficiente @Qawsedf234 @SuperAPM @Firestorm808 @EmperorRorepmeTwo @LuciferDC099 @Ehnkr2beboh @Deagonx @Elizio33 @MarvelFanatic119 @catzlaflame @LephyrTheRevanchist @Lightning_XXI @Stefano4444 @LuciferX @Vasco @Excel616 @Immortalgodd @JohnCenaNation @VeryGoofyToddler @ByAsura @Emirp sumitpo @Quantu @IdiosyncraticLawyer @PrinceofPein @Maverick_Zero_X @catzlaflame @Robo432343 @VeryGoofyToddler @Lonkitt @LordTracer @Alonik @ProfectusInfinity @IdiosyncraticLawyer @PrinceofPein

You're hearing from a lot of the people who opposed the split in the first place and wanted certain characters to stay extremely high.
Very tribalist us vs them mindset a lot of you guys seem to have for some obscure reasons. If the justifications weren't so weird and mishandled people wouldn't complain.

Even a user that has worked with you guys with the split has told me privately that he's not enjoying how the split is getting treated before.

If the justifications weren't so weird and mishandled people wouldn't complain.
Definitely not true. People will complain about anything regardless of how solid it is if they want to upgrade the characters.

Even a user that has worked with you guys with the split has told me privately that he's not enjoying how the split is getting treated before.
That's fine. A lot of people worked on the project, there was no way to guarantee that everyone agreed with everything that was done.

I think it should be pretty obvious but the split itself was designed to solely restrict the tiers and doesn’t paint an accurate representation of the DC cosmology. And this was done through basically just deliberately ignoring a lot of evidence and core themes that surround the cosmology and help build the grand mythology at play.

For example, take a look at the pointless arguments made against the Godsphere not being in some way inspired and themed as a platonic reality that is also transcendent to the Orrery. Now because we have stuff like that being thrown at the Godsphere, Darkseid and the God tier characters as they appeared in Final Crisis are somehow on the same level as DC Heralds. Now take that same level of neglectfulness that was applied to the Godsphere and apply it to basically every other structure in the cosmology and you’ll get the messy and incoherent DC cosmology that’s on the site right now.

However, we didn’t just neglect core evidence, themes, and systems at play in the verse but we also ignored entire comics from the one of the writers that was extremely central to the development of the whole cosmology within mainstream DC. Grant Morrison as a writer is pretty renowned for linking up all their previous comics with their current comics and has even gone on record to say Multiversity and Final Crisis connect all the way back to Animal Man which was their first comic at DC. However, we claimed their older works were irrelevant and incompatible with their newer works despite giving zero evidence for such a claim and cut off around close to or more than half of their work.

I can go more in-depth but I don’t see a point unless there is some plan or focus to make change from people who truly do care about the verse. I also genuinely don’t think splitting all the cosmologies really makes much sense anymore for similar reasons Lord Tracer brought up.

More the opposite. The composite approach was primarily used to string together unrelated scans from distinct and isolated continuities simply because they were printed by DC, so that they could be use to exaggerate the tiers of characters well beyond what they actually did in the source material.

We proved fairly thoroughly that the Godsphere doesn't have qualitative superiority relative to the Orrery, and that nothing from Animal Man aside from Limbo was actually retained in the mainline cosmology. Grant even did an entire comic and map dedicated to explaining the cosmology, but Limbo was the only thing kept from Animal Man. The idea of retaining things like the Implicate Order or Shamanism and scaling mainline characters to it just wasn't sensible in the least.

I think it should be pretty obvious but the split itself was designed to solely restrict the tiers and doesn’t paint an accurate representation of the DC cosmology. And this was done through basically just deliberately ignoring a lot of evidence and core themes that surround the cosmology and help build the grand mythology at play.
Speaking like the split had hidden motivations because the staff involved wanted to downplay DC is ignorant at best and poisoning the well at worst. Do you have an actual case to make for some of the characters being tiered higher than what they currently are, or are you just upset that some of your favorite characters got downgraded and we can't have that because reasons?
For example, take a look at the pointless arguments made against the Godsphere not being in some way inspired and themed as a platonic reality that is also transcendent to the Orrery. Now because we have stuff like that being thrown at the Godsphere, Darkseid and the God tier characters as they appeared in Final Crisis are somehow on the same level as DC Heralds. Now take that same level of neglectfulness that was applied to the Godsphere and apply it to basically every other structure in the cosmology and you’ll get the messy and incoherent DC cosmology that’s on the site right now.
First, even if you proved the SOTG was platonic, you still have all your work ahead of you to prove a specific tier to it. Second, we do consider the SOTG as transcendent to the Orrery, just not by so much as to warrant an uncountably infinite difference between them. Third, we absolutely don't consider SOTG-level characters as on the same level as DC heralds; Pre-Crisis heralds scale to three spacetimes, Post-Crisis heralds haven't even finished being upgraded yet and aren't going to scale to more than a few, while SOTG-level characters scale to 52 spacetimes.
However, we didn’t just neglect core evidence, themes, and systems at play in the verse but we also ignored entire comics from the one of the writers that was extremely central to the development of the whole cosmology within mainstream DC. Grant Morrison as a writer is pretty renowned for linking up all their previous comics with their current comics and has even gone on record to say Multiversity and Final Crisis connect all the way back to Animal Man which was their first comic at DC. However, we claimed their older works were irrelevant and incompatible with their newer works despite giving zero evidence for such a claim and cut off around close to or more than half of their work.
We gave plenty of evidence for this, just ask anyone involved.
I can go more in-depth but I don’t see a point unless there is some plan or focus to make change from people who truly do care about the verse. I also genuinely don’t think splitting all the cosmologies really makes much sense anymore for similar reasons Lord Tracer brought up.
If you believe something on our profiles is wrong, explain it to us so that we can fix it. However, unless you take the time and effort to craft a genuinely well-reasoned and convincing case like Ultima did with compositing Marvel's cosmology to reach High 1-A instead of just complaining, you won't convince anyone.

Speaking like the split had hidden motivations because the staff involved wanted to downplay DC is ignorant at best and poisoning the well at worst. Do you have an actual case to make for some of the characters being tiered higher than what they currently are, or are you just upset that some of your favorite characters got downgraded and we can't have that because reasons?
I wouldn’t consider it ignorant at all. Especially since I could say literally the same for you assuming cosmic DC characters are my favorite when it’s actually heralds and then assuming I’m actually mad over it.

Of course I have reasons for why some characters should be at higher tiers but this isn’t a control thread and if I was to fix specific characters I’d prefer to do it there. I do still have plans to fix the profiles I think are extremely bad or inaccurate but I just currently don’t have the most availability.

First, even if you proved the SOTG was platonic, you still have all your work ahead of you to prove a specific tier to it. Second, we do consider the SOTG as transcendent to the Orrery, just not by so much as to warrant an uncountably infinite difference between them. Third, we absolutely don't consider SOTG-level characters as on the same level as DC heralds; Pre-Crisis heralds scale to three spacetimes, Post-Crisis heralds haven't even finished being upgraded yet and aren't going to scale to more than a few, while SOTG-level characters scale to 52 spacetimes.
I kind of already mentioned this but a lot of comics were restricted from Morrisons cosmology for pretty invalid reasons so it would be pointless to try and prove anything in the cosmologies current state on the site since we’re not able to grasp the cosmology in full. It would be much more efficient to just revamp the whole thing. Also yeah the Gods are gonna be higher into 2-C than heralds but the fact that the gods are 2-C like the heralds but simply higher into is what’s laughable.

We gave plenty of evidence for this, just ask anyone involved.
You couldn’t point to any specific evidence for Morrisons earlier comics being incompatible with his previous comics even if you wanted to because there was no evidence given. The whole reason stems from some weird claim that Morrison retconned their earlier stories despite there being no evidence for such a thing and Morrison explicitly stating the opposite. And no I’m not gonna ask the people involved either, especially since I don’t consider them trustworthy for pretty valid reasons.

If you believe something on our profiles is wrong, explain it to us so that we can fix it. However, unless you take the time and effort to craft a genuinely well-reasoned and convincing case like Ultima did with compositing Marvel's cosmology to reach High 1-A instead of just complaining, you won't convince anyone.
To fix DC would require another massive revision most likely taking a couple months to possibly a year. However, when I do feel like I have the time I’ll definitely try update some profiles.

I wouldn’t consider it ignorant at all. Especially since I could say literally the same for you assuming cosmic DC characters are my favorite when it’s actually heralds and then assuming I’m actually mad over it.

Of course I have reasons for why some characters should be at higher tiers but this isn’t a control thread and if I was to fix specific characters I’d prefer to do it there. I do still have plans to fix the profiles I think are extremely bad or inaccurate but I just currently don’t have the most availability.
I wasn't assuming anything about you, I was just making a general statement about people I've seen opposing the cosmology split. Saying "I wouldn’t consider it ignorant at all" isn't an argument.
I kind of already mentioned this but a lot of comics were restricted from Morrisons cosmology for pretty invalid reasons so it would be pointless to try and prove anything in the cosmologies current state on the site since we’re not able to grasp the cosmology in full. It would be much more efficient to just revamp the whole thing. Also yeah the Gods are gonna be higher into 2-C than heralds but the fact that the gods are 2-C like the heralds but simply higher into is what’s laughable.
They were restricted for perfectly valid reasons unless you can refute the reasons given. Saying "it's laughable" isn't an argument either and just comes off as you laughing off unambiguous evidence.
You couldn’t point to any specific evidence for Morrisons earlier comics being incompatible with his previous comics even if you wanted to because there was no evidence given. The whole reason stems from some weird claim that Morrison retconned their earlier stories despite there being no evidence for such a thing and Morrison explicitly stating the opposite. And no I’m not gonna ask the people involved either, especially since I don’t consider them trustworthy for pretty valid reasons.
Whether you consider the people trustworthy is irrelevant to the scans they provide. @Deagonx Want to help me here? There was plenty of evidence given.

there was no evidence given.
Right. Morrison considers all of the stuff from Animal Man canon and part of the cosmology except never mentioned it in any of his later work or implemented it in the giant guide he was tasked with creating for the cosmology except Limbo. That makes perfect sense!

To fix DC would require another massive revision most likely taking a couple months to possibly a year
To align DC with your views, rather. The profiles are much better than they were before, and we aren't going to go backwards rather than forwards and undo the split or the revisions.

@Deagonx Want to help me here? There was plenty of evidence given.
He's aware, he attempted to debate against it when it was first discussed and wasn't successful. I wouldn't hang too much on attempting to get him to see reason. As you saw from the link you posted, he's been attempting DC upgrades for actual years without any success, so he's not going to change his mind now no matter what is provided to him.

I wasn't assuming anything about you, I was just making a general statement about people I've seen opposing the cosmology split. Saying "I wouldn’t consider it ignorant at all" isn't an argument.
It didn’t come off that way to me but whatever. Also I would say claim that “it’s ignorant” isn’t an argument either.

They were restricted for perfectly valid reasons unless you can refute the reasons given. Saying "it's laughable" isn't an argument either and just comes off as you laughing off unambiguous evidence.
I could but I already stated that the lots of evidence that could produce a different tier is being restricted so scaling the cosmology in its current state wouldn’t make much sense.

Whether you consider the people trustworthy is irrelevant to the scans they provide. @Deagonx Want to help me here? There was plenty of evidence given.
They didn’t provide any scans. However if you want me to breakdown the opposing argument and why it’s wrong I can very much do that.

It didn’t come off that way to me but whatever. Also I would say claim that “it’s ignorant” isn’t an argument either.
It's ignorant because you're claiming that people who've expressed quite clearly that they're only trying to handle irreconcilable contradictions are consciously trying to downplay a verse.
I could but I already stated that the lots of evidence that could produce a different tier is being restricted so scaling the cosmology in its current state wouldn’t make much sense.
Where's this evidence?
They didn’t provide any scans. However if you want me to breakdown the opposing argument and why it’s wrong I can very much do that.
@Deagonx Please help.

Right. Morrison considers all of the stuff from Animal Man canon and part of the cosmology except never mentioned it in any of his later work or implemented it in the giant guide he was tasked with creating for the cosmology except Limbo. That makes perfect sense!
Let’s start here then.

You claim Morrison never mentions Animal Man in his later work or on the guidebook and then immediately state that he included Limbo which was a big concept first explored in Animal Man that was also placed and illustrated on the Multiversity map in the Multiversity guidebook. So you’ve literally debunked yourself within your own claim.

I could obviously go deeper and directly show Morrison’s statements where they mention how every comic they’ve written for DC is connected and links up with one another. And go into all the tidbits of things that got carried on from other stories like JLA and Doom Patrol, but you’ve seemed to have already countered your own claims.

Last edited:
All three of you drop the subject. If you want to debate about this go elsewhere and don't clog up the thread with these comments.

To fix DC would require another massive revision most likely taking a couple months to possibly a year
If you feel that it's warranted then go ahead. DC has roughly as much evidence as Marvel does for their higher dimensional spaces if you use the same evidence standards. Or at least I feel like they do.

If you feel that it's warranted then go ahead. DC has roughly as much evidence as Marvel does for their higher dimensional spaces if you use the same evidence standards. Or at least I feel like they do.
How?

Back