• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Halo General Discussion Thread

t's stuff like that is what lead to companies like Tango getting shut down (RIP
I heard Hi Five Rush was a successful hit despite that so I doubt it is the sole contribution since Microsoft did the whole layoffs regardless. Good or bad studios at that.

That and people probably don’t want games at full price when they launch.

Hell, I rather not buy a game at full price and waited for a sales discount normally.

There is also the fact you need a online subscription just to play online unless the game is free to play (which also have issues overall)

Granted, I recall it is the same for PS which is stupid as well.

There were plans for a DLC expanded story for Halo Infinite so I heard to be released back in 2022, but it was canceled due to Infinite making disappointing sales.

But that's a common issue for Xbox in general, is the Game Pass. It's a cool feature in theory due to giving us a bunch of recent games via annual subscription; but the issue is that it's single handedly what's causing games to not sell well individually which is hurting various developers. It's stuff like that is what lead to companies like Tango getting shut down (RIP). Being too consumer friendly can cause the opposite issue in which employees aren't making enough money.

Also, there are a lot of rumors floating around that Xbox plans to go full multiplatform; it honestly should at this point given how well Pentiment and Grounded did on Nintendo Switch compared to Xbox, PC or Playstation.
There was more to it than just sales, it is actually worse than you think. Infinite's engine was hot garbage. It is a chimera cobbled together by contractors, and as a consequence nobody could figure out how to actually work with it as I recall. Hence why 343I couldn't even manage to add signature game modes in. This of course led to DLC being cancelled, which I don't have much confidence would've been that great to begin with given 343I's history.

Infinite was indeed better than H5, but that is a very low bar to clear, and it had to do a soft-reboot in order to distance itself from that disaster of a plot. Even then I could point out numerous flaws in the writing, such as pointlessly ejecting Atriox from the story only to have him show up in flashback holograms and the legendary ending. Or Offensive Bias never showing up or so on....

I don't have any faith that Halo will ever get a decent game again, but at least the novels and comics are there to carry the lore forward.

heard Hi Five Rush was a successful hit despite that so I doubt it is the sole contribution since Microsoft did the whole layoffs regardless. Good or bad studios at that.
It does have a lot of positive reception and a cult following that has been growing as a result; people who haven't even played the game review bombed it in a positive way. And some layoffs were good; example being the Activision Blizzard team fired for their outing of them all being guilty of pretty much every form of discrimination and sexual harassment in the book. But Tango had no reason to be shut down other than corrupting authorities having high demand for income/profit.

There was more to it than just sales, it is actually worse than you think. Infinite's engine was hot garbage. It is a chimera cobbled together by contractors, and as a consequence nobody could figure out how to actually work with it as I recall. Hence why 343I couldn't even manage to add signature game modes in. This of course led to DLC being cancelled, which I don't have much confidence would've been that great to begin with given 343I's history.
Yeah, the Infinite Engine turned out to be a flop and they should have just stuck to the Unreal Engine; which is not only far more affordable, but also vastly superior in every way. What I heard was speculated to be one the expanded DLC stories was a plot where Atriox is the central antagonist and that it would take place in 2560. Where it would be believed to be one hypothesized ending back in 2007 that was never implemented in any main story whether games or books. The one that ended with Master Chief sacrificing his life to destroy Atriox and the rest of the Banished's foundations and leads with him. Probably could have had potential for great story writing or finishing off the new trilogy with a bang; but would put great risk of the "What comes next" or it basically becoming to a final conclusion for a game series.

Obviously, the last thing fans want is attempts of replacing him with characters just as bad if not worse than Locke. Though some stories have worked without John; Halo Wars and ODST have surprisingly underrated characterization; Reach while I do think some people overrate it as I found Jorge to be the only really great character among that cast, those are still examples of the stories not being by any means bad despite the absence of John-117. Likewise, I think stories that center around The Arbiter (Thel Vadam) have potential. And they could always either remake older games or make more prequels rather than sequels that star John. But if they made a game that ends with John dying, it may be considered a closure for the game series side. Books could be a different story though.

There were plans for a DLC expanded story for Halo Infinite so I heard to be released back in 2022, but it was canceled due to Infinite making disappointing sales.

But that's a common issue for Xbox in general, is the Game Pass. It's a cool feature in theory due to giving us a bunch of recent games via annual subscription; but the issue is that it's single handedly what's causing games to not sell well individually which is hurting various developers. It's stuff like that is what lead to companies like Tango getting shut down (RIP). Being too consumer friendly can cause the opposite issue in which employees aren't making enough money.

Also, there are a lot of rumors floating around that Xbox plans to go full multiplatform; it honestly should at this point given how well Pentiment and Grounded did on Nintendo Switch compared to Xbox, PC or Playstation.
That sucks; Infinite had potential.

Back