• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Examining RWBY scaling for high tier characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there is opposition I'd rather not push it through immediately, however the updated profiles look sick.

Dargoo Faust said:
Since there is opposition I'd rather not push it through immediately, however the updated profiles look sick.
I like Weekly, so I mean zero offense to him

But the only opposition has zero reasons why

As for why I'm saying this I think it's ultimately unanimous with exception of a disagreement without reasons

Wait, since we're saying Pro Huntsmen are 8-B should Oobleck be 8-B?

As a Pro he should be able to defeat a Goliath. (Goliath grimm are smart enough to know that if they attack the human cities, they'll die. This implies Pro Hunstmen can deal with them)

Eh, I'd rather leave it open so that if Weekly has something new to bring to the table we hear it here rather than another CRT.

Support:

Me, Damage, Gargoyle, Maverick, Ricsi, Desmond, Rebuble, Kalitas, Rusty, Jinx, Sigurd, Kuul, Dziga, Zen

Neutral:

DarkDragon

In Opposition:

Weekly

TBH I've always felt that weather manipulation feats should not be scaled to physical AP/dura unless the character outright causes the storm with their punch, like All Might.

I mean magically poofing clouds out of nowhere and punching with the force to shatter a mountain are two different superpowers.

I'm personally neutral like DarkDragon though.

@Ryu It does scale to physicals in this case, this has already been discussed before, multiple times in RWBY's case

The OP makes sense. I don't think stats without any justification should be used in the profiles. I agree overall with the OP.

@Regis It's not that Weekly doesn't have any points, it's that there has been no response to any of the latest rebuttals which debunked the statements that were linked. And this is why I did grace, there are clearly more input to be heard.

Support:

Me, Damage, Gargoyle, Maverick, Ricsi, Desmond, Rebuble, Kalitas, Rusty, Jinx, Sigurd, Kuul, Dziga, Zen, Regis

Neutral:

DarkDragon, Ryu

In Opposition:

Weekly

@Matt

• Glynda fought half Maiden Cinder in the first five minutes of the series
  • Salem tasked Tyrian with hunting down the Spring Maiden
    • Tyiran and Hazel are later confirmed to have killed dozens of pro huntsmen
  • Qrow stated that he, Leo, and Raven working together could take on a Maiden (This is before Raven was revealed to be a Maiden)
  • Watts, after working with full maiden Cinder for months at this point and just after witnessing Raven's storm feat, worries that Qrow wont go down easily
Basically people are trying to downgrade because "Its just how people are reacting to each other"

I'm looking at the scenes in the OP. I never watched a single episode of RWBY, but:

Cinder was surprised with his presence, felt the need to dodge the guy's attacks, and then left rather than facing him, which is illogical if they have such a wide power gap. You can speculate about "She didn't know if he was alone" but that's getting into theorizing, and not going by what's being shown.

Yeah, no. These two clearly scale to each other going by this scene. They traded magical attacks and blocked each other's attacks.

So even in the context of the videos the OP posted as an argument for a downgrade, I'm against it.

WeeklyBattles said:
  • OP explains how only one casual attack is blocked, and Ruby tanks a similar attack, yet doesn't scale.
  • That doesn't imply scaling to the Maiden, as "hunting" and "fighting equally" are two very different concepts.
  • Large groups taking down an opponent doesn't mean scaling, and Qrow isn't the most reliable source seeing as he has never fought a Maiden.
  • "Not going down easily" does not imply direct scaling.

WeeklyBattles said:
@Matt
  • Salem tasked Tyrian with hunting down the Spring Maiden
    • Tyiran and Hazel are later confirmed to have killed dozens of pro huntsmen
  • Qrow stated that he, Leo, and Raven working together could take on a Maiden (This is before Raven was revealed to be a Maiden)
  • Watts, after working with full maiden Cinder for months at this point and just after witnessing Raven's storm feat, worries that Qrow wont go down easily
Can you show links to all of these? Add to the two videos that show characters directly fighting and there's really no reason for a downgrade.

Being surprised has nothing to do with context. She likely just didn't know what he was capable of and made her escape. None of that impies scaling.

She only blocks one attack, then dodges the rest. And Ruby takes an attack in the same context, so I don't understand how you want to apply scaling in one instance and not another.

Matt's always had a good sense of judgement when it comes to power scaling. ^^

As I have said, statements like "we can take them" and "they might be trouble" don't result in a scaling, nor does hunt mean outright fight.

Salem has also overestimated Tyrian's abilities on another occasion.

Matthew Schroeder said:
The fact that she had to dodge his attack and chose to retreat shows that she considers him a threat.
Yes, she blocks an attack and counters, and is coutnered back. Their magic is depicted as comparable in this scene, unarguably.
You're ignoring the context of the fight, which was Cinder being told to make them go away, as opposed to outright killing them.

Yet that's the only hit that actually lands.

No, but these statements serve to underline that the characters consider each other threats / worthy opponents, or believe that they can defeat another guy.

Unless they fight through hax or indirect means that implies they'd face off in combat, and as far as I know everyone in RWBY either fights with combative magic or melee.

Matthew Schroeder said:
No, but these statements serve to underline that the characters consider each other threats / worthy opponents, or believe that they can defeat another guy.
Unless they fight through hax or indirect means that implies they'd face off in combat, and as far as I know everyone in RWBY either fights with combative magic or melee.
Again, lack of context. There was no "stalemate", just them retreating to draw less attention. You're also ignoring Ruby being able to take a hit . I don't see how one should scale, and the other shouldin't

No, that was very much depicted as a stalemate. "Oh, crap, this guy's arrived, I gotta dodge his attack / run away".

I don't get a sense that she's leaving for some tangential reason even though she could one-shot him if she wanted. I get the sense that she's leaving because she'd rather not fight him.

It seems you are trying to interprete the scene in a way which specifically prevents scaling.

WeeklyBattles said:
Draw less attention from who? There was no one else around other than Qrow
The dozens of people living in the area.

Me, Damage, Gargoyle, Maverick, Ricsi, Desmond, Rebuble, Kalitas, Rusty, Jinx, Sigurd, Kuul, Dziga, Zen, Regis

Neutral:

DarkDragon, Ryu

In Opposition:

Weekly, Matt

Matthew Schroeder said:
=I don't get a sense that she's leaving for some tangential reason even though she could one-shot him if she wanted. I get the sense that she's leaving because she'd rather not fight him.

It seems you are trying to interprete the scene in a way which specifically prevents scaling.
Cinder doesn't even need to dodge attacks. She casually blocks/dissipates all of that Glynda throws at her. That was also the guy's reaction, not Cinder's.

And I'm not. As the OP went over, you're overblowing this encounter to the point where scaling would be applicable.

Matthew Schroeder said:
The same could be said about you and Weekly, in that you're trying to interpret the scene to support the scaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back