• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

RWBY - some updates (Lightning Round)

Spinoirr

He/Him
lightning resistance for some characters
here's all the times chararters have shown Resistance to lightning

10:55 (Ruby survives getting zapped by lightning dust)

33:41 (Ruby survives getting blasted by cinders Lightning + Fire magic combo with very little aura)

4:53 (Ren survives getting zapped by a lightning dust weapon)

12:39 (team NDGO survive getting zapped by lightning dust weapon in the water)

4:37 (Ruby uses a combo move with Nora that is turning into a cloud of molecules alongside Nora while she is supercharged with electricity)
https://youtu.be/DnpEnWViak8?si=X3-RIVisxt5AQei0
7:08 and 7:53 (Sun gets zapped multiple times) and 20:21 (Sun gets zapped again and this time because he doesn't have aura it actually hurts him, but doesn't leave scars like lightning or electricity would)
https://youtu.be/jUphoDBDea4?si=DZyuLrCTUS4M3w8s
3:29 (the queen lacner survives a dust explosion that includes fire dust and lightning dust and ice dust and was unfazed by it)
https://youtu.be/jUphoDBDea4?si=_KPc6D1ELElCqH4x
21:46, 21:48 (Weiss survives Vernal's lightning dust lasers)

25:42 (Qrow survives lightning dust)

26:24 (Ren survives lightning dust)

32:36 (Cinder survives lightning magic to the face and survives being frozen without a aura)
https://youtu.be/kStrFbN5JYc?si=h6O-0t6YlU_Xjih2
14:32 (penny absorbs lightning magic, so she clearly should resist it too)
https://youtu.be/rzrJOHRfso0?si=bupp7gsWgN60bin3
(Start of video, Neo survives the curious cat's lightning blast)
https://youtu.be/VvEPqqdF75E?si=QK3VvBm1VOHIQ0cg
1:27 (Team BWJY survive getting blasted by the curious cats lightning blast)
https://youtu.be/ZrmaR3Q1ZeQ?si=-3DLpQPY2QcEF91f&t=930
(Cinder as a kid and latter a teen has built up a resistance to lightning dust thanks to gaining a aura)

The Nuckelavee should be City Block level via upscaling
this is simple, it Was able to fight and overwhelm Team RNJR until they worked together, was able to completely deplete both Ren and Nora's Aura in a few attacks. and they're 8.71 Tons
Nora Semblance upgrade
her power varies depending on how much electricity she absorbs

so Nora's keys for her semblance will look like this "Veries, Higher to Far Higher with semblance"

also it boosts her speed too

seeing as her semblance ranges from stomping others to harming Hazel who is way stronger then them and smashing down a door not even Weiss' summon can break through at max
Ascend Ruby being 2 times stronger (2 Megatons)
Ascend Ruby should be 2 times stronger (2 Megatons) thanks to the Furious Cat taking Burn Yangs attacks without a aura, and Ruby scales to the Furious Cat

I mean, honestly everyone with a aura should have resistance to electricity because as shown multiple times with multiple characters they have resistance to it with their aura up and shown with sun, they're actually affected by it without a aura and kid Cinder struggling before her huntsman training and getting a aura helped her resist it

1) Everyone damages the Furious Cat, not just Ruby, including non-burn Yang. They should not scale to Yang’s burn because her burn can hurt someone that can be hurt by her non-burn attacks. Thats just circular scaling.

2) Nuckelavee depleting Aura fast doesn’t mean much but fine I guess

3) Surviving lightning attacks is wildly irrelevant to having resistance to them. If anything it shows that lightning goes straight through Aura and still severely hurts them despite the shielding provided. Basically anything that relies on this reasoning I disagree with.

Qrow was clearly affects by the lightning and showed no resistance it just didn’t kill him. Same with Ren in both his instances (and the instance in Volume 3 is clearly because the students attack is stun baton based so that absolutely disproves a resistance). Disagree.

Team NDGO got one shot and depleted of all their Aura while being charred showing no resistance and instead seemed to be affected heavily. Disagree.

Ruby having a combo move by traveling with a semblance using Nora is irrelevant as she was not being shocked. Not even evidence.

Ruby screamed in pain from Cinder’s attack and fell over the edge barely hanging on, that is not resistance. Disagree.

Sun was shocked the first time and forced off while not even being the direct target. The second time he deflected it which is the sole piece I’ve seen that might imply either a resistance or other ability to block the Sea Dragon’s lightning breath. This would only be for Sun though considering no one else replicates such a feat.

Weiss surviving getting shot is irrelevant since, despite being lightning dust, Vernal’s bullets clearly are not the same as Ruby’s lightning dust bullets from literally the volume before, or Hazel’s lightning dust attacks from the same episode. They don’t even appear capable of shocking and seem more like solid beams if anything. Disagree.

The cat’s attacks do not seem to be lightning or even remotely related to it other than appearance. Unless there’s a statement that it is actual lightning or electricity and not just a fancy effect, disagree.

Penny, Cinder and Queen Lancer having resistance is fine as they are actually shown being hit with lightning dust/attacks and not reacting/not being affected as much. Sun’s example requires discussion to convince me since it seems he just blocked it, not resisted. Everyone else absolutely gets affected but just don’t die, which is completely possible without having a resistance to electricity, especially considering lightning dust can wildly vary in potency and they’re all superhuman.

Aura prevents the damage but it does not prevent the actual affect of the lightning, unlike heat and cold, therefore I heavily disagree with them having resistance of that level other than the ones specified.

On second thought, King of Wolves makes good points for electric resistance. While the first feat is quite solid IMO, the second one Ruby is able to grab on to the legs to avoid falling despite the electrocution. But simply surviving strong electric attacks is not resistance to electricity. It's more like people need to tank it without receiving status effects commonly caused by electrocution is more so a better reason.

The first one is still not enough for me, as she’s clearly been knocked completely unconscious from the shock she received. If she resisted electricity she would be fine but instead she’s launched back with her Aura broken and needs to be saved by Weiss slowing her fall. I would not count that as resistance.

The other examples speak for themselves.

1) Everyone damages the Furious Cat, not just Ruby, including non-burn Yang. They should not scale to Yang’s burn because her burn can hurt someone that can be hurt by her non-burn attacks. Thats just circular scaling.
How so? It's just a 2 times power difference, it's not that big, yangs semblance is a 2 times amp and the Furious Cat survived her hits without a aura, only Ruby was the only one who could push the Furious Cat while everyone before was getting thrown around and stomped without Ruby's help

When the fight as a team Weiss's summon still gets one shot, dodges Blake, gets hit by yang's semblance, Ruby does the most to them and when they fight together alongside Ruby

Scaling looks like this

Team WBY (1 Megatons) < Ever After Jaune < Burn Yang (2 Megatons) ~ Furious Cat ~ Ruby < Team RWBY (fighting all at once: has one character on par with the Furious Cat alongside 3 characters who are 2 times weaker)

Also how I list resistance to electricity is that a character doesn't die to it and don't get scars from it. Like Bakugo and Deku have resistance to it despite getting knocked out cold and screaming in pain

Also a character isn't paralyzed by it or permanently affected by the lighting (like nerve damage)

How so? It's just a 2 times power difference, it's not that big, yangs semblance is a 2 times amp and the Furious Cat survived her hits without a aura, only Ruby was the only one who could push the Furious Cat while everyone before was getting thrown around and stomped without Ruby's help

When the fight as a team Weiss's summon still gets one shot, dodges Blake, gets hit by yang's semblance, Ruby does the most to them and when they fight together alongside Ruby
That still does not equal Ruby being 2x everyone else. How high she is is irrelevant as her being stronger than them isn’t implied in the first place just cause she pushed cat back, if anything it’s a showing of her skill and confidence from being reborn.

Scaling looks like this

Team WBY (1 Megatons) < Ever After Jaune < Burn Yang (2 Megatons) ~ Furious Cat ~ Ruby < Team RWBY (fighting all at once: has one character on par with the Furious Cat alongside 3 characters who are 2 times weaker)
No, team rwby don’t get amped from fighting with each other. They all scale to the same thing and Burn Yang is still the strongest. Everyone can hurt the cat, them being hyped up after Ruby returns isn’t an amp of some kind, they just fight better as a team.

Also how I list resistance to electricity is that a character doesn't die to it and don't get scars from it. Like Bakugo and Deku have resistance to it despite getting knocked out cold and screaming in pain

Also a character isn't paralyzed by it or permanently affected by the lighting (like nerve damage)
You can be shocked and not have scars. Deku and Bakugo have resistance because they got struck by cloud to ground lightning for several seconds and were still fighting afterwards with no burns, being more severely wounded by the broken bones and laser stabbing that happened prior than the lightning bolt they got hit with.

In these cases, the characters are getting hit with lightning dust which can wildly vary in how much shock it carries. The stun baton that put Ren down is not the same power as the blast shot by Hazel. But regardless of the voltage, when RWBY characters get hit with lightning dust, they are incapacitated from the shock, as they take no damage from anything else due to aura.

NDGO were charred and defeated by Neptune’s trident. Qrow and Ren were seemingly knocked down and unable to move for some time, same with Ruby. Weiss isn’t being shocked at all cause Vernal’s bullets do not have that property.

Also the logic of “this series has an ability for this reason so why not this other series for the same reason” has been refuted time and time again. The circumstances and degree of power in MHA are not the same as in RWBY. Aura alone makes them having resistance beyond extreme temperature difficult since the damage they take to their body is completely negated.

this is simple, it Was able to fight and overwhelm Team RNJR until they worked together, was able to completely deplete both Ren and Nora's Aura in a few attacks. and they're 8.71 Tons
That just makes it at least High 8-C. Not 8-B.

What's the rules for upscaling for high 8-C?
I don't think we have any super-hard rules but the difference between 8.71 tons and 11 tons is 1.26x. That's more than what I'd consider acceptable for upscaling here considering that the Grimm didn't one-shot them.

I don't think we have any super-hard rules but the difference between 8.71 tons and 11 tons is 1.26x. That's more than what I'd consider acceptable for upscaling here considering that the Grimm didn't one-shot them.
I mean, did you watch the fight. They needed a four vs one to even kill it, it absolutely destroyed them and they're auras really saved their asses, protecting them from stronger hits

Anyways, the Furious Cat was definitely 100% stomping Yang, Blake, Jaune, Weiss until Ruby came back. Easily dodging their attacks, knocking the wind out of ever after arc jaune, taking hits from Yang's semblance without a aura, one shooting Weiss' summon (her summons are always stronger then her)

Then Ruby joined in, Someone who actually pushed back the Furious Cat and by working together with someone comparable in power to the Furious Cat, they won through teamwork

You basically get what I'm saying, right?

Like literally Ruby did get stronger one way or another

Also it isn't like they can't just downscale from Ruby and the Furious Cat

Cool. Cat isn’t 2x the team regardless and neither is Ruby. She pushed it back with speed and skill not by bullying it with brute force. And again, they all could damage it, it was just avoiding and deflecting all their attempts.

You can hurt someone with a 2x amp, they can survive and they can not scale to you. Just cause Yang punched Cat away with Burn doesn’t make Cat 2x Yang’s base cause it didn’t die. Yang with Burn is still > Cat going by how it got launched by each of her punches.

Not having an Aura just means we scale Cat how we would scale anyone else on the wiki. It can be damaged by base Yang, Ruby, Blake and Weiss. It is not getting a 2x rating for being punched around by Yang with Burn, and even if it did, Ruby would not scale to that anymore than base Yang would scale to it.

Bump

I'm now only going to focus on what's currently agreed upon:
Some of the characters getting lightning resistance, nuck upgrade, Nora Semblance buff

To be fair, that's because of Aura letting users take damage from stronger characters

It was basically ragdolling them with out teamwork, they won bc of it being a 4v1 + aura and strategy

The Nuckelavee should be City Block level via upscaling
I wouldn't say this is a cause for upscaling if their general durability with aura is 8.71 Tons, that just means it scales to that level for being able to deplete it in a few. Given Aura is like a meter, you'd half to go into detail regarding how many hits it would take for someone on their level to deplete it but unless we scale aura to number of hits needed. I don't know much about RWBY though.
Nora Semblance upgrade
her power varies depending on how much electricity she absorbs

so Nora's keys for her semblance will look like this "Veries, Higher to Far Higher with semblance"

also it boosts her speed too

seeing as her semblance ranges from stomping others to harming Hazel who is way stronger then them and smashing down a door not even Weiss' summon can break through at max
Don't think you need Higher to Far Higher. Just having Higher and explaining she gets stronger the more electricity she absorbs and mention her low amps then her higher ones to show the differences. But Higher covers it all. Regardless, If people think Higher to Far Higher is suitable, I don't mind, it's not a problem.

I wouldn't say this is a cause for upscaling if their general durability with aura is 8.71 Tons, that just means it scales to that level for being able to deplete it in a few. Given Aura is like a meter, you'd half to go into detail regarding how many hits it would take for someone on their level to deplete it but unless we scale aura to number of hits needed. I don't know much about RWBY though.

Don't think you need Higher to Far Higher. Just having Higher and explaining she gets stronger the more electricity she absorbs and mention her low amps then her higher ones to show the differences. But Higher covers it all. Regardless, If people think Higher to Far Higher is suitable, I don't mind, it's not a problem.

Aura is accepted to let characters survive attacks that are strong then them like two time stronger attacks multiple times by Yang or Adam's Semblance, attacks from maidens, attacks from dust Amp hazel

Aura is accepted to let characters survive attacks that are strong then them like two time stronger attacks multiple times by Yang or Adam's Semblance, attacks from maidens, attacks from dust Amp hazel
So why if it's accepted at 2 times their durability (in Nora's case) just says higher with Aura and not City Block level with Aura?

So why if it's accepted at 2 times their durability (in Nora's case) just says higher with Aura and not City Block level with Aura?
trust me, i tried to find the max durability of aura (70 times via yang's semblance storing energy from each hit and sending all that absorbs energy back twice as hard)

baicily meaning just aura can take dozons of attacks before it breaks but it breaks more faster vs stronger foes, anyways Aura's like a health bar that can take dozons of attacks (or how ever much the plot demains)

trust me, i tried to find the max durability of aura (70 times via yang's semblance storing energy from each hit and sending all that absorbs energy back twice as hard)

baicily meaning just aura can take dozons of attacks before it breaks but it breaks more faster vs stronger foes, anyways Aura's like a health bar that can take dozons of attacks (or how ever much the plot demains)
Well if its able to deplete their aura in far lesser hits than things on their level then you could make the argument that it's City Block level going off Damage mentioning the gap is 1.26x difference. If anything you could drop a likely in front of it but I think it's acceptable.

Yeah not seeing lightning resistance here, the fact some of the character's aura drains or they get flat out knocked out by this contradicts resistance in the first place, it would only be a resistance if they took like no damage whatsoever from it, and even then that can just be attributed to durability more than resistance.

Yeah not seeing lightning resistance here, the fact some of the character's aura drains or they get flat out knocked out by this contradicts resistance in the first place, it would only be a resistance if they took like no damage whatsoever from it, and even then that can just be attributed to durability more than resistance.
Eh some of them like Cinder clearly were shown to build up a resistance to the lightning dust shock collar and power through it

"Penny, Cinder and Queen Lancer having resistance is fine as they are actually shown being hit with lightning dust/attacks and not reacting/not being affected as much. Sun’s example requires discussion to convince me since it seems he just blocked it, not resisted. Everyone else absolutely gets affected but just don’t die, which is completely possible without having a resistance to electricity, especially considering lightning dust can wildly vary in potency and they’re all superhuman." From King

So they should be fine

not sure about Cinder's feat since that just looks like a pain tolerance thing more than a resistance, especially when she got blasted by Penny's electricity laser blast and was knocked out by it.

How much of the queen lancer's feat is actually a resistance to the elemental attacks and not it being just a durability feat, especially when it's a gigantic explosion to begin with.

Back