• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DeltaRune Discussion Thread

Matthew Schroeder said:
I don't understand. Why "Sans Undertale".
Partially because obligatory joke about how people always seem to think that popular characters share the name of the thing they're in.

Samus Metroid, the main character of the hit game Metroid.

Zelda, that green guy from The Legend of Zelda.

Sans Undertale, main character of Undertale.

My Hero Academia but:

-All the Pro Heroes are the OG Undertale gang

-Frisk is All Might

-Kris is Deku

-Susie is Bakugo

-Ralsei is Tenya

-Lancer is Kirishima

-Photoshop Flowey is Nomu

-Base Flowey is Tomura

-Asriel is All For One

While replaying the game to check dialogue, I took notice of something Rudolph "Rudy" Holiday said. https://youtu.be/afBSnHPzGaY?t=13m39s

"Kris, even if we've grown apart, we still love your family. After all, me and Asgore were college pals, right? Oh hey... now that Asriel's off to college... Y'think he's doing any CRAZY parties, like me and your dad? Heh, I'm just pulling your leg. Your dad was no party animal. Your MOTHER on the other hand...! Whoo! She'd always fuss about going, but once the party started... Yikes, man! Once she hit me clear across the room with a key lime pie! I got smashed into the snack table and toppled everything! Tasty pie though. Couldn't complain."

TL;DR - Delta Rune Toriel is strong enough to send a reindeer monster person thing across a room with a key lime pie, making them smash into the snack table and topple everything.

Since we're grading characters on their own feats for this, that may be worth considering.

Personally, I'd assume that's about 9-C, but I'm no calc-er. If we use the weight of a real life, non-anthropomorphic male reindeer that's 160 to 180 kg to move. Dunno how much that changes, though.

Although, besides how far he was launched (what would a good room size to assume be?), & his build at the time, the feat may be affected by if Toriel smacked the pie into his face while she was still holding it, thus meaning a somewhat indirect arm strike connected from her, or she threw it at him & the projectile's force launched him.

Also, looking at other dialogue, apparently, the first time he met Noelle's mother, he told her she was a "hot piece of work". Noelle's mom then smacked Rudolph so hard he blacked out.

Launching someone across a room with a single strike is somewhere within the range of 9-B, I believe.

I don't think it's higher than Lancer causing a moderately-sized explosion by ramming into Ralsei on his bike (which also flung Ralsei offscreen), but it's a solid supporting feat, I suppose.

9-B? And that's for humanoids which are often well under half the weight of a real reindeer? (Although, knowing how huge a range Wall Level is, I'd still doubt it'd reach 9-A, even if it was a pie as projectile that launched him & he were a hefty 180 kg rather than a human-like weight for his anthropomorphism.)

Speaking of Lancer's bike blowing up, what if we were to -perhaps a bit absurdly- assume the explosion was a product of Lancer's bike's travel speed, rather than the collision, & the explosion just so happened to coincide with the time of the impact?

I don't think it's well-supported unless we wanna believe Lancer set his bike on fire through spontaneous combustion, too, & if so, that's some high temperatures, I'd bet, but it might make an... interesting high end.

9-B assuming the person was actually lifted off their feet and launched across the room, not just that they were staggered/fell over/moved slightly. Using a reindeer would probably still result in Wall level, but don't quote me on that.

I mean, maybe? It's probably just safer to assume he hit Ralsei so hard that it caused an explosion, as I'm pretty sure the reason for Lancer's bike being on fire is that he straight up lit it on fire because he couldn't ride an actual motorcycle.

Once again, avove and underground adventures do not scale to each other.

Something that Toriel did won't scale either, especially since monsters are a bit too diverse to assume they are comparable.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
Once again, avove and underground adventures do not scale to each other.
I think this is a faulty statement to make one way or another, as we have zero idea what is actually going on, right now.

Of course, it doesn't really matter when I'm pretty sure every actual AP feat of note in the game is Tier 9 regardless.

Pretty sure we go with the negativw if there is no proof either way. They obviously changed when going on the adventure, even getting weapons out of nowhere.

The fact that all of the journey is rapresentwd in the storage room by the stuff all around kind of makes you qyestion how real it is, but assuming they scale to it for no reason shouldn't be done.

I'm genuinely confused at what you're trying to say.

"It could have not been real, therefore we assume it isn't" is not how this works. We don't assume that nothing in the game actually happened simply because it not happening is a possibility. We don't know anything, aside from the fact Kris and Susie both experienced this, specifically because this is just chapter 1 of a larger story (part of why I don't think pages are a good idea). Our default position is "we don't know", not "it's all fake, dawg".

Though again I stress that at this point, it doesn't matter, because not only are we not making pages due to having very little to actually go off of, but the fact that both in and out of the weird journey through a closet, all the feats we have essentially amount to "some level of 9-B".

That is not what I was saying at all. We simply can't assume that they are physically the same when in their adventure and normally, since they visibly changed.

I'm skeptic of the "storage room" being where their whole adventure took place, to be frank. Besides the resemblance to a classroom with the blackboard & closet & all, it doesn't make sense, IMHO.

First off, the left exit door doesn't have any interaction; Not even anything telling you "It's locked". Could just be developer error. This is suspicious, because when they enter the "closet" & then fall, the doorway they came in from is leftwards.

And in the school hall, the entrance to the closet is West of the "storage room"'s door.

If they went into Door A, came out another door (Door B) which is to the right of Door A & their Dark World adventure was just them fooling around, then there isn't much evidence of them going Right.

So if their adventure was all in their minds, how did they end up half the hallway's distance Eastwards across the school, with a door you can't even interact with between them, & their starting point being a room that goes East....

There's also how the closet is commented on as being unusually dark, scaring Susie. If it was some kind of game of pretend, Susie didn't show any signs that she was trying to play pretend before. Kris doesn't seem to actively be "pretending" either, but they are characterized as being a prankster.

Except Kris backs away from the door when how dark it is is noticed, so we can infer Kris is scared, too. Neither of them seemed like they were in a state of mind to start making games up.

If the closet is the storage room they end up in postgame, what happened to all the papers on the floor? If they never fell, then the papers should still be at ground level, in the room with them, no?

Why did the door close after being wide open long enough for them to walk around twice the length of the papers strewn out? If it closed on its own, it should've shown signs of closing earlier. So why did it close, then?

Not to mention, Susie thinks the closet is "broken". She says there's no walls, & it's kind of big for a closet.

And when they leave, there's the Ball of Junk -which Kris looks at in admiration, & is so hesitant to drop their hand shakes, & when it lands & breaks, they feel bitter- so there's something more to that. There's also the Egg, which goes with Kris from the Dark World back to town, unlike all their other stuff.

Lastly, if Kris sleeps to skip school, they wake up in the Dark World anyway, despite never having met Suzie that day, nor gone into the closet.

Again, I think several things involved with the adventure not being real don't don't make sense.

I'm aware of that.

But I believe the position should be "we shouldn't be scaling them right now as we have no idea what's going on" as opposed to them not scaling period.

Of course, this is a total non-factor, at the moment, since the feats between world are hardly different.

Except maybe speed? I actually haven't been paying any attention to speed.

New information changing things is an obvious. I was saying that using a "real" world feat by toriel as supporting just wouldn't work.

The Kris there could very well be 10-B, because he ia not scalable to Toriel.

I was going to mention Kris' SOUL rip, but honestly that's probably too vague, considering we don't see it leave a lasting wound, meaning it could have been totally metaphysical.

I really need to explore the overworld, fully.

Interestingly, once the SOUL is in the birdcage, you can move it about. Noticeably, the soul can't move out of the birdcage.

The carpet next to the birdcage is stained, & flavour text says it's rusty & looks like it's been through a few crashes. Makes me wonder if this has happened before & blood has been spilled. Not to mention, if the cage is inescapable for the SOUL & has had crashes, where has it been taken?

But then, if it's had multiple crashes, that suggests multiple trips, & so then where did it go, & why did the bird cage come back? Presumably, if they're using it to take a SOUL somewhere & to leave it places, taking the birdcage back would mean setting the SOUL free. That or the cage was brought back somehow. Some guesses:

A. Innocent mistake, like Toriel or someone finding it & bringing it back.

B. The SOUL escapes the bird cage somehow, Kris finds out, takes it back to prepare for recapturing.

C. Someone opens the birdcage, the SOUL takes control of them, &... returns their prison to the person who put them in it?? Why would anyone do that?

D. The birdcage's prior use is unrelated to the SOUL. But then what would make someone repeatedly crash a birdcage in a wheelbarrow?

E. Maybe it even had a different owner. (Ex: It's from the locked shelter & Kris or someone kindly took the SOUL out & to their home.)

It's pretty much impossible that this was just a play. Not only is it extremely OoC for Susie to be willing to do some weird roleplay with a kid she doesn't like, but neither of them remotely acts like it was willing or planned, especially at the end. Plus, this trip to the Dark World had actual effects on the "Light World", such as the egg.

(Sorry in advance about all the words.) @Saikou the Lewd King: I agree. Apologies if I'm being redundant, but for the sake of thorough evaluation, I figure we should try & work out what would have to be true for the whole Dark World adventure to be true.

Of course, in theory, one COULD just dismiss it all as a coma/dream/hallucination, etc. but that dismissal is possible because anything can happen.

But I find that kind of pointless; Such theories require so little to be based upon that requirements are practically nonexistent, & since anything can happen in a dream or hallucination -senses of touch, pain, pleasure, etc. can all be imagined, movement is reactions- & it's almost impossible to assert a point when a dream or hallucination ended if we assume that waking up was part of the dream or hallucination.

TL;DR - Accusing it of being a dream or hallucination requires almost no evidence, can be stretched to account for anything, & there's very little definitive way to disprove it. Hence, I think it's pointless to entertain as a theory whether or not it could be true.

For example, for all we know, Kris never actually woke up at the start of the game but just dreamed they did & the whole thing is a dream.

But nonetheless, it may be worth discussing how one could reason the whole thing as being a "play" or "game" or "act", whether such a theory holds up or not.

1. Waking up in the Dark World after going to sleep instead of school is a game mechanic/convenience/railroading & is thus non-canon, despite the narration "But when you opened your eyes..."

2. Both Kris & Susie are acting when they hesitate to enter the closet, the unusual level of darkness inside & spilling out from it isn't real but just for the audience to get an idea of what Kris & Suzie are seeing or think they are seeing.

3. Susie has to have been somehow falsifying the appearance of the size of the closet. The only thing that actually supports this is her claiming it has no walls & the game probably putting boundaries Kris can't walk past; Probably necessary game mechanics to keep Kris in bounds.

4. The door closing without either of them being close to it has to somehow be Kris or Suzie's doing, without either of them having a motive, as would them falling along with the papers on the floor, which don't reappear in the Unused Classroom.

5. The Egg & all narrative about it has to be pretend as well as the strange way of reaching where you obtain it -randomly going to 1 room instead of another via a loading zone- or just be non-canon Gaster magic or something. (AFAIK, there isn't much supporting this. Although, the Egg is very easy to miss, & optional in the room you can get it in anyway.)

6. Likewise, the Ball of Junk has to all be exclusively stuff from the "Light World", the Halloween Pencil would have to be from the Unused Classroom or be the pencil Kris had all along, & this would make Kris's feelings about the Ball of Junk -admiring it, being hesitant & bitter about dropping it- very strange. It'd be odd to feel so strongly about a game of pretend with a school bully, even for a quiet kid with few friends.

7. How they got from the Closet to the Unused Classroom when the latter's left door doesn't seem interactable (Not even dialogue to tell you its locked.) would have to be explained, such as by saying Kris just refuses to use/open it & it's deliberate action by the devs to obfuscate the truth. (Also, entering the closet from the south, yet it being walked in west to east doesn't make sense.)

8. We assume the stuff on the Unused Classroom's floor does actually represent stuff from a pretend Dark World, & none of it is red herrings.

9. It also has to be a shared dream/hallucination, despite Susie asking if it was or wasn't a dream or anything. "Like, that wasn't a dream or anything, was it...?"

10. The cell phone making weird noises instead of calls would have to be assumed to be part of the faking.

The tracks were awesome. Won't leave my mind for a while

King's theme, field of hopes and dreams and Legend I liked a lot in particular.

Looks like I finally arrived and oml @Azathoth.... Lmfao that pfp is so perfect.

And @Saikou.... Man, it is that one boss that took me hours to beat him...good grief but I managed to successfully pull it through in fullscreen (which was a mistake since I didn't realize that makes his attacks go faster while I was playing Deltarune >_>) & finally defeated him and he gave me a good shield (I was expecting & hoping to get a scythe instead or with the shield together, oh well....).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9aFcT0HvfQ

>Undertale has a calendar that is "from the end of the year 201X" with a date circled on it, & in the Genocide route, this is the year Chara came to the world of Undertale.

>In the files, likely cut (& thus, presumably non canon content unless actual canon backs it up.) we can find Ralsei's manual, which is dated for 202X. https://tcrf.net/Deltarune#Ralsei.27s_Manual

(Notably, said manual is Dedicated to "the unending pillar of darkness that gives my body form".)

>Asriel is old enough to be in college/university, but was a kid in Undertale. (Different timelines, though, so not very important at all.)

>In the files, the character creator pieces have GONER in their filenames, just like the GONER NPCs related to Gaster in Undertale & have a similar colour scheme.

(Relatedly, the underground shelter in the south of town has sounds that seem to be slowed down Gaster sounds, & the phone makes Gaster-like sounds when used in the Dark World.)

@Imag I could write an entire essay about all the times Deltarune referenced Gaster. Like I said previously, Toby's really trying to hammer in Gaster.

@Magi I am here to give you PTSD. Btw you only get the weapon if you beat him through FIGHTing and you only get the armor when pacifying him.

@Andy THE WORLD IS REVOLVING and Checker Dance are my top tracks right now.

Field of Hopes and Dreams is like the actual Hopes and Dreams for me. An undeniably good track, but too mainstream + some are betters.

@Saikou I don't think being mainstream has ever been a problem for me. Tho I did end up liking less popular tracks like Asgore, Metal Crusher and Fallen Down reprise over things like Megalovania and Hopes and Dreams.

Hopes & Dreams is great. Delta Rune's battle theme, & the music when fighting Jevil are wonderful. Although, IMHO, a lot of tracks sound just so much better with the clips from the battle.

Like, I want Hopes & Dreams with Asriel's attack sound effect or Jevil's theme with his voiced dialogue, randomly spliced in.

Back