• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DeltaRune Discussion Thread

"There is nothing left for us here. Let us erase this pointless world, and move on to the next." - Chara

Considering Deltarune chapter 1's ending, I could imagine this quote being followed up on as a potential possibility for what's going on. Really excited to see what may happen, regardless. Toby reminded me of just why I enjoy his work so much when ignoring how shitty the fanbase can be.

The fanbase isn't THAT bad. Just it being hyped to ******* oblivion by every single website ever gravely overestimates the number of shit people actually in it.

Also, it's been 3 years. Most of the crazy obsessives have probably moved on to other things to ruin (such is the cycle of life on the Internet).

I mean there was at least one good fanfic to come out of that fanbase

Several good AUs and some artwork so gorgeous it makes you want to die as well.

So, while we work out the feats, abilities, etc. & wait for the new chapters to be released, how about a touch of theorizing? In Delta Rune:

1. Knocking on the door to a house will prompt dialogue that seems to be from a young monster asking what it's like to be made of blood, suggesting this isn't the case for these kinds of monsters.

2. If my memory serves (correct me if I'm wrong), the whole party is often referred to as Lightners, despite Kris being a human, & Ralsei a Darkner. If only Suzie is a Lightner, why use a plural term? Meaning in theory, 1 or both of Kris &/or Ralsei may also qualify as Lightners, no?

3. Lancer mentions getting a bucket for blood in his dialogue. Given there hadn't been much mention of it to him prior, & the story seems to suggest he's not well socialized, I doubt he'd have learned well whether other races have blood or not. So it may be reasonable to assume that he knows about blood because Darkners have it.

Although 3 could be dismissed if Lancer's dad was encouraging things like "spill their blood", this wouldn't make sense because the monster at the door in town's dialogue implies their kind of monsters don't have blood; I doubt his dad would tell him to spill blood the enemies don't have.

4. Sans's dialogue tells us he moved in a few weeks ago. Even if he hasn't been universe hopping, he may not be from town.

Also, in Undertale's True Pacifist ending postgame, the photo in his room of 3 smiling faces & the text "don't forget" & his knowledge of parallel timelines, etc. suggests Sans may not be native to Undertale's world.

Beating Sans in the Genocide Route also has him leak something red.

So.... Lightners don't seem to have blood, Darkners do, some monsters may qualify as Lightners (Likely a location based term.) & Sans might be a Darkner who moved into Hometown, who was in Delta Rune's setting before Undertale's.

(Obvious conclusion is obvious.)

Oh, & monsters are capable of suffering disease, as is shown with Noelle's father which is kind of weird if they lack blood. Magical diseases?

2. I interpreted that as Kris being a Lightner, and that both humans and monsters were Lightners.

Everything else I don't have much to say about besides "That's really interesting"

1. Wasn't that in the normal world? Pretty sure it's because the whole "monsters made out of magic".

2. Pretty sure lighteners refers to people who live, well, the normal world. Ralsei is specifically a prince of darkness.

3. Dude... Let's not overanalyze things that are made for comedy porpuses.

4. The same with him moving in to snowdin out of nowhere.

Feels a tad bit too speculative to be honest.

Toby said it's ketchup.

Toby's statement that nothing here changes anything within the undertale makes me doubt that this sans and that one have anything to do with each other. I feel it's much more realistic to just say he he's an alternate version like everyone else. Even if not, there is no reason to believe he is a darkener.

Also, found this in files: UNUSED_slash_UNUSED_gml_1_0"Where..."UNUSED_slash_UNUSED_gml_2_0"Where am I?"UNUSED_slash_UNUSED_gml_3_0"Hello...? Anyone...?"UNUSED_slash_UNUSED_gml_4_0"Is... is anybody out there...?"UNUSED_slash_UNUSED_gml_5_0"Someone!? Anyone!? Can anyone hear me!?"UNUSED_slash_UNUSED_gml_6_0"..."UNUSED_slash_UNUSED_gml_7_0"It's dark."UNUSED_slash_UNUSED_gml_8_0"It's so dark here."UNUSED_slash_UNUSED_gml_9_0"Someone, anyone, if you can hear me..."

Also, the title of the song that plays in the opening sequence where you make that character is titled AUDIO_ANOTHERHIM.ogg followed by AUDIO_DARKNESS.ogg.

And in the lang_en.json file at the line after "what about the creator? Your name:" it has the lines

"DEVICE_CONTACT_slash_Step_0_gml_730_0": "\M0AND WHAT ABOUT3&THE CREATOR3?\M1 5 %%", "DEVICE_CONTACT_slash_Step_0_gml_736_0": "\M0AND WHAT ABOUT3&THE CREATOR3?\M1 5 %%", "DEVICE_CONTACT_slash_Step_0_gml_756_0": "YOUR OWN NAME.", "DEVICE_CONTACT_slash_Step_0_gml_770_0": "GASTER", "DEVICE_FAILURE_slash_Create_0_gml_10_0": "THE DEATH", "DEVICE_FAILURE_slash_Step_0_gml_95_0": "THE DARK",

By the way, anyone knows why we couldn't close the geyser of Rasiel instead of the one the king had? Or how he knew our name? Or why he blocked the way back to his geyser? Or why he didn't even try to have us deal with the knight?

Interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnkGQ5rQzPs

The wooden sword's description says it's reinforced with a carbon core, & the Spooky Sword gets replaced with a Halloween pencil.

If Kris goes to bed in an attempt to skip school, they wake up in the Dark World anyway.

There's a strange egg obtained from a man who we're told only in text that he's present; He's said to be behind the tree, but we can't see the man. Interestingly, the area where we find this man & his egg don't seem to be entered through ordinary means. It looks like the area is reached by taking the East exit from the room with the bird & bell, but the area's path starts from the South.

Dropping said egg, when not in the Dark World gives the dialogue "What egg?" If Kris goes to Asgore's fridge, they put it inside. Check again, & there'll be 2 eggs inside, despite normally the fridge having a single pickle in a jar inside; The usual single pickle is absent. On a new save file, the egg and the pickle will both be inside.

Audio from outside the Mysterious Door in town, when sped up, is like that of the mysterious phone call audio you get for trying to use the cell phone in the Dark World.

The Ball of Junk is obtained upon returning to school from the Dark World. Using it has it get looked at with admiration, but does nothing otherwise. It can be dropped, but Kris does so with hand shaking, & feels bitter afterwards. It breaks into pieces when it falls onto the ground.

Unrelated, but one of the very few things left consistent from Underale is the famed dogcheck (aka the dog popping out as an error handler). The only universal constant in life are taxes, death, and the dog.

Also, about the Lightener and Darkener thing, it doesn't seem to be species-based. Kris and Susie are definitively treated as Lighteners and Ralsei is a Darkener. This is despite the fact that both Susie and Ralsei are monsters (unless Ralsei just so happens to look exactly like Boss Monsters without being one).

Incidentally, how would one do a True Reset for Delta Rune, in the interest of doing a No Save run, given how Undertale characters can have meta knowledge & by default, saving requires saving over Kris's "file". It's very inconvenient to have to redo the start of the game or game over to recheck dialogue.

Well Deltarune seems less meta than UT for now, since you can delete and re-create your save files at will. No need for a True Reset here.

As for doing a no-save run, I've seen people claimed to have done it and it doesn't change anything according to them. Remember how a no-save run in UT only changed Asriel's fight and Sans' comments. It could just be to show how the Creator (Or the Anomaly) takes over Kris in every aspect.

Well, I'm interested in making sure that when I finish the game's parts, that it thinks the save is empty; That Kris's hasn't been overwritten.

Thank you for the advice, though, Saikou.

Interesting note, when Chara throws your SOUL into the birdcage, you can actually move the heart around in the cage. Meaning that the SOUL was the way you controlled someone, and Chara managed to flat-out reject you.

Honestly, I have a guts feeling that Gaster won't have as big of a role as people think he will.

Yes, we've got plenty of hints regarding Gaster. But that's the thing. We've had WAY too many hints. It's been hammered in since the release of UT. Yet we haven't got any concrete proofs of it. Toby really wants us to think Gaster is involved without outright confirming it. It's way too fishy. Surely a curveball will be thrown at us.

Starter Pack said:
Interesting note, when Chara throws your SOUL into the birdcage, you can actually move the heart around in the cage. Meaning that the SOUL was the way you controlled someone, and Chara managed to flat-out reject you.
"Perhaps. We can reach a compromise. You still have something I want. Give it to me. And I will bring this world back.

Then it is agreed. You will give me your SOUL.
" - Chara

If we assume Kris is in some way linked to Chara, which is an extremely strong possibility all things considered, I don't think you've been in control for a very, very long time.

Matthew Schroeder said:
I also really doubt that the character creation is just there for a joke. I imagine it'll come into play later.
This is Toby Fox we're talking about, so you might have to tamper your expectations. He could very well be trolling everyone.

I don't think it's a complete joke, but I also don't think the actual "character" we make will show up.

I instead feel like "No one can choose who they are in this world" will be a theme of the game.

There isn't even a pacifist/genocide ending any more. Enemies run away so you can't get EXP.

Although certain fights give different dialogue/rewards if you win them through violence or pacifism.

Alexcar3000 said:
I'm calling it now. Pacifist will be the baddest ending ever.
I think the "only one ending" thing will probably carry over into the final product (as mentioned in Toby's Twitlonger), as that seems rather key to the ideas this game is going to convey.

It's just how you get there that's different. Kinda like how in chapter 1, the ending is always the same, but King's defeat is changed based on your actions towards the world's enemies.

Toby implied that there will only be one ending. Although there are some differences based on your kill count, given that the King fight plays out slightly differently based on whether or not you harmed anyone.

Not that a "Genocide" run is possible with K. Round around.

(blitzed by Azzy)

I actually don't want Chara to be a part of Deltarune. She already kinda had too much of an "untouchable" feeling in Undertale(although it did nothing to remove my addiction to the game).

Overall for full realease, I:

Don't want to see: Chara in Deltarune, unavoidable cutscene deaths, Kris getting hurt

Am indifferent about seeing: More team members, more boss fights like Jevil

Really want to see: This version of Frisk as a mentor character to Kris and/or Kris meeting Undertale's Frisk, more antics within the team, Ralsei moments, Susie's badassery, more town exploring, and a really cool Gaster reveal

I'm aware I'll likely not get all the stuff I want and some stuff I don't want might happen, but it never hurts to dream lol

Yeah, was about to say, from what I've seen this game really doesn't seem like it's trying to go into that sorta territory. In fact, that was originally one of my concerns about it, like "how's the whole multiple ending thing gonna work this time?", but I was surprised and, admittedly, relieved it wasn't doing that.

I really need to play the damn game already...

@ Saikou

Azathoth is beyond the standard confines of speed, so I don't know how you expected anything less.

Back