• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DEATH BATTLE! Discussion Thread (2024–2025) (All-time Death Battle Spoilers Alert)

I do wonder where DB will put base Mario & Sonic characters.

Ngl there might be non-zero chance theyll place say Bowser Jr equal or higher than Metal Overlord and whatnot.

I do wonder where DB will put base Mario & Sonic characters.

Ngl there might be non-zero chance theyll place say Bowser Jr equal or higher than Metal Overlord and whatnot.
Base Sonic will probably be planet to star, while base Mario will be multi-solar system to universal tbh. So pretty much this wikia's stats last year.

1. Barely gets mentioned before in the story
  2. Appears on Earth and kills almost every single friend of the main protagonist
  3. Freaking dies

That's Nappa
THATS MY GOAT 🔥🔥🔥🔥
a close up of a person 's torso in armor

Man killed two Z-Fighters directly (One of them being Piccolo) and caused another one to self-destruct to no avail. Did more than that bum ass fraud Vegeta did.
Even as a joke, Vegeta did far more regardless, killed Nappa easily and was above Goku till he used kaioken and against his planet bust needed x4 increase to win the exchange, great ape needed to be ridden and required spirit bomb to even beat him

Honestly it hasn't even really sunk in for me yet that he passed away, like, I dunno he felt immortal. I felt like I could live to be 100 or something and he'd still be kicking and having a good time. It doesn't feel right or real that he's gone.
really just feels off the franchise is big as ever and the man who started it all is no longer with us
idk how toei, toyo etc will handle the franchise future

Man not gonna lie, when Toriyama was announced dead I was devastated.
Is it that surprising, to be honest? In my perspective: there are very few mangaka out there who can even begin to rival the sheer amount of influence and inspiration that was created as a result of Toriyama's works.

I'm trying to articulate my words as best as I can, but there's truly few works that can rival Dragon Ball's sheer presence. Not just in terms of its mass popularity and financial success, but it's so immensely influential that it's spread across the entire world and has attached itself to various cultures in different countries, especially in Central and South America. I mean this is the same series that once broke the Internet from the sheer amount of people that were trying to watch a singular episode (that being Goku vs Jiren round one in case you needed context), I don't think I've ever seen a situation like that before or after the fact.

People can say what they want about the quality of Dragon Ball and they can claim that insert anime here is much better all they want, but the reaction to Toriyama's passing is just an indicator to how much Dragon Ball means for countless people.

Man these threads are just reminding me that I'm at a point in life where I'm more interested in the fanbase biology and sociocultural impact of the VS Community than VS itself.

Assuming you're making this post because you feel guilty at that fact - firstly: don't be. Secondly, I find myself reminded of how fanbase perception of works can have an effect on the quality of a work itself, even after it's released. Not just because of how we live in a generation where the most zealous of a fandom can either over-praise or over-scrutinize a given work(s), but because even after a delineation of individual creative (primarily that of high consequence, such as the last few posts discussing Toriyama as an example) has either retired or passed on, those claiming to be his most loyal (in worst case scenarios, those making the claim but have never met the man in person) are more than likely going to be the ones 'preserving' the memory of that work (or let's be honest "curating"). Allow me to take my arch Fren-emies and Xeno-idealogical punching bags experience with the Enelcordians as an example:

One of the many discussions (in whole or in part) that took place in that server was that of how the Xenosaga trilogy would be perceived now (read: Kevin Winnicott's entire character), and the proverbial IP/creative business tug-of-war that Tetsuya Takahashi finds himself in between revising what even the most indoctrinated XS3 fans tacitly admit was 'projective sabotage' (although looking at the contents of the facts of the case, even that might be an oversimplification used to save face) by Bandai Namco, and Monolithsoft capitulating for... some reason (seemingly finances, mostly, but now that Takahashi is free of that with all three 'main' Xenoblade games... why do the contents of FR imply capitulation with Yuriev's name in the picture?). Several times, Takahashi has actually floated the idea of support for either a revision to the Xenosaga series (given that 15 pages of my 194 page goliath of a script was about my own interpretation of such, I 100% support this) vs ports just being whacked onto modern consoles, with the issues of financial interest (not the 'percent interest', I mean customer interest... although knowing our economy, nothing is stopping both becoming factors) and Harada himself flip-flopping on the matter in his own 'and don't ask me for shit' kind of way.

SIDE NOTE: the current migration of Twitlongers is currently ongoing. Might be for the best we wait on that for now.

I bring all of this up, because if a "small community predicated on a seemingly irrelevant 2001-2006 PS2 game" is enough to (let's be honest) beg the question displayed there, well... why dignify this with a response, when payola is your #1 concern?

I also catch myself reminded of an interaction between myself and Enel after the article posted by yours truly calling his community out (atop an ironically timed stomach malfunction...) - the contents of which I cannot fully retrieve after my old account was nicked by that scammer, but what was posted by him (Enel, not the scammer) was, while enough proof to show said interaction took place, was begrudgingly taken out of context (as well as several remarks from the script in question, by the hand of ShiftedPyro, which were deconstructed in the article in question):

DISCLAIMER: if you're wondering why above posts to this have accusations of me being a bigot - it was because several edgy race remarks within the script were made, and the parties that needed to see it decided to take that out of context because, to be frank, they have skin about as thick as tissue paper. Same goes for the claims that I 'insulted ShiftedPyro's "Jamaican ancestors"', when he knows full well I picked that analogy out of a hat. I was not aware his ancestors were Jamaican, and I care one way or the other even less.

In any case, I should also preface this post by saying that, because I cannot access my old account - what I said above and below the comments he's screen-capping becomes a bit he-said-she-said (even though we're both blokes, but... you know what I mean). The point I was trying to get through to him, in any case, is that the fact that his 'favourite series' was even dignified with said response despite it's obscurity means that he, whether he knows it or not, is spearheading a movement of a vocal minority that wants what was 'unfinished' to come to fruition - which means that Takahashi will be scrutinizing himself and others for audience feedback, and it's more likely than not that YT is the first place he goes to. Without talking in circles (because it's late on my end) - remember what I just said about vocal minorities? Inside jokes and memes are basically this - what's one more nod to your supposed origin? (Not one I agree with, but still...). There was also some pedantry about 'muh Chain attack music toggle' (my brother in Christ, you pressed the Sparkin' + button!), but that's not my point here.

So... what does any of this have to do with VS? Well, simply because combat encounters and what that implies for scaling is just another microcosmic example of... y'know, all of this, and they subconsciously integrate that into their storytelling because they know the fanbase paying their heating and lighting are watching with prying eyes. From both a selling (outward) and buying (inward) perspective, you think VS mediums, and DBa/Ben and Chad are any different?

Is it that surprising, to be honest? In my perspective: there are very few mangaka out there who can even begin to rival the sheer amount of influence and inspiration that was created as a result of Toriyama's works.

I'm trying to articulate my words as best as I can, but there's truly few works that can rival Dragon Ball's sheer presence. Not just in terms of its mass popularity and financial success, but it's so immensely influential that it's spread across the entire world and has attached itself to various cultures in different countries, especially in Central and South America. I mean this is the same series that once broke the Internet from the sheer amount of people that were trying to watch a singular episode (that being Goku vs Jiren round one in case you needed context), I don't think I've ever seen a situation like that before or after the fact.

People can say what they want about the quality of Dragon Ball and they can claim that insert anime here is much better all they want, but the reaction to Toriyama's passing is just an indicator to how much Dragon Ball means for countless people.
Dragon ball is simply the grandfather of animes in west, if not for it, animes wouldnt be at where they are now thanks to it

I know absolute jack shit about JJK so correct me if I'm wrong but I've noticed that people say that Shigaraki can resist Mahito's soul manipulation thing because of the Vestiges but wouldn't the fact that Star tore Shigaraki's vestige world a new asshole show that it wouldn't help him? The only reason Shigaraki wasn't completely wiped out in the vestige world is because she destroyed herself from taking out so many of the vestiges and, from what I know, Mahito has regeneration that would allow him to keep going where Star had died. And even then she still left that scar in that weird mental core which would give Mahito an opening.

Assuming you're making this post because you feel guilty at that fact - firstly: don't be. Secondly, I find myself reminded of how fanbase perception of works can have an effect on the quality of a work itself, even after it's released. Not just because of how we live in a generation where the most zealous of a fandom can either over-praise or over-scrutinize a given work(s), but because even after a delineation of individual creative (primarily that of high consequence, such as the last few posts discussing Toriyama as an example) has either retired or passed on, those claiming to be his most loyal (in worst case scenarios, those making the claim but have never met the man in person) are more than likely going to be the ones 'preserving' the memory of that work (or let's be honest "curating"). Allow me to take my arch Fren-emies and Xeno-idealogical punching bags experience with the Enelcordians as an example:

One of the many discussions (in whole or in part) that took place in that server was that of how the Xenosaga trilogy would be perceived now (read: Kevin Winnicott's entire character), and the proverbial IP/creative business tug-of-war that Tetsuya Takahashi finds himself in between revising what even the most indoctrinated XS3 fans tacitly admit was 'projective sabotage' (although looking at the contents of the facts of the case, even that might be an oversimplification used to save face) by Bandai Namco, and Monolithsoft capitulating for... some reason (seemingly finances, mostly, but now that Takahashi is free of that with all three 'main' Xenoblade games... why do the contents of FR imply capitulation with Yuriev's name in the picture?). Several times, Takahashi has actually floated the idea of support for either a revision to the Xenosaga series (given that 15 pages of my 194 page goliath of a script was about my own interpretation of such, I 100% support this) vs ports just being whacked onto modern consoles, with the issues of financial interest (not the 'percent interest', I mean customer interest... although knowing our economy, nothing is stopping both becoming factors) and Harada himself flip-flopping on the matter in his own 'and don't ask me for shit' kind of way.

SIDE NOTE: the current migration of Twitlongers is currently ongoing. Might be for the best we wait on that for now.

I bring all of this up, because if a "small community predicated on a seemingly irrelevant 2001-2006 PS2 game" is enough to (let's be honest) beg the question displayed there, well... why dignify this with a response, when payola is your #1 concern?

I also catch myself reminded of an interaction between myself and Enel after the article posted by yours truly calling his community out (atop an ironically timed stomach malfunction...) - the contents of which I cannot fully retrieve after my old account was nicked by that scammer, but what was posted by him (Enel, not the scammer) was, while enough proof to show said interaction took place, was begrudgingly taken out of context (as well as several remarks from the script in question, by the hand of ShiftedPyro, which were deconstructed in the article in question):

DISCLAIMER: if you're wondering why above posts to this have accusations of me being a bigot - it was because several edgy race remarks within the script were made, and the parties that needed to see it decided to take that out of context because, to be frank, they have skin about as thick as tissue paper. Same goes for the claims that I 'insulted ShiftedPyro's "Jamaican ancestors"', when he knows full well I picked that analogy out of a hat. I was not aware his ancestors were Jamaican, and I care one way or the other even less.

In any case, I should also preface this post by saying that, because I cannot access my old account - what I said above and below the comments he's screen-capping becomes a bit he-said-she-said (even though we're both blokes, but... you know what I mean). The point I was trying to get through to him, in any case, is that the fact that his 'favourite series' was even dignified with said response despite it's obscurity means that he, whether he knows it or not, is spearheading a movement of a vocal minority that wants what was 'unfinished' to come to fruition - which means that Takahashi will be scrutinizing himself and others for audience feedback, and it's more likely than not that YT is the first place he goes to. Without talking in circles (because it's late on my end) - remember what I just said about vocal minorities? Inside jokes and memes are basically this - what's one more nod to your supposed origin? (Not one I agree with, but still...). There was also some pedantry about 'muh Chain attack music toggle' (my brother in Christ, you pressed the Sparkin' + button!), but that's not my point here.

So... what does any of this have to do with VS? Well, simply because combat encounters and what that implies for scaling is just another microcosmic example of... y'know, all of this, and they subconsciously integrate that into their storytelling because they know the fanbase paying their heating and lighting are watching with prying eyes. From both a selling (outward) and buying (inward) perspective, you think VS mediums, and DBa/Ben and Chad are any different?

Oh I don't feel guilty at all. I was just having a thought go through my brain and I was actually smiling and giggling a little as I thought it. This medium is still interesting to look at, even if I'm not actively invested in it much anymore. The culture and the hilarity it produces is more of the fun part nowadays.

I know absolute jack shit about JJK so correct me if I'm wrong but I've noticed that people say that Shigaraki can resist Mahito's soul manipulation thing because of the Vestiges but wouldn't the fact that Star tore Shigaraki's vestige world a new asshole show that it wouldn't help him? The only reason Shigaraki wasn't completely wiped out in the vestige world is because she destroyed herself from taking out so many of the vestiges and, from what I know, Mahito has regeneration that would allow him to keep going where Star had died. And even then she still left that scar in that weird mental core which would give Mahito an opening.
Mahito could transmutate the vestiges themselves as well, but main issue is that Shiggy vestige can still fight and even decayed vestige Deku's arms as well.

Last edited:
Oh I don't feel guilty at all. I was just having a thought go through my brain and I was actually smiling and giggling a little as I thought it. This medium is still interesting to look at, even if I'm not actively invested in it much anymore. The culture and the hilarity it produces is more of the fun part nowadays.

On this much, we 100% agree. I just like to think there's a more systematic reason to it all that isn't just 'hey so it's funny how [insert remark]', because I'm at a point in my life where I know these things don't happen by accident.

So one last detail I've been thinking about re: Joker vs Giorno that I wonder is a line of thought DB's team would go with is since GER was introduced so late with incredibly vague understanding of its power or limits, if they'd its interaction with World Over Heaven to prescribe it some sort of limit.

I know that the whole game is considered non-canon overall, but since Araki was with the game's development and looked over the story if they'd use it to at least find something that GER can't RTZ to avoid a no-limits fallacy with its abilities. I don't think DB has used a sort of 'not-canon but can apply to canon' sort of thing before in recent memory, so I kinda feel like the odds of this being used is shaky at best. Mainly came from someone on the DB reddit bringing it up but discussion there didn't go too far.

As someone rooting for Joker to win (so totally biased here) I'd feel like them using that as an example of something Giorno can't effect might lead them to say that Joker's own 'reality-warping' with his cognition and Trickster abilities might be on a level above something that GER can affect. But again, very slim chance that's what the research team would do.

On this much, we 100% agree. I just like to think there's a more systematic reason to it all that isn't just 'hey so it's funny how [insert remark]', because I'm at a point in my life where I know these things don't happen by accident.
There's very much no accident behind this. These things fell into place for a reason and without the experience I gathered? Hey, I may not have gotten where I am now.

So one last detail I've been thinking about re: Joker vs Giorno that I wonder is a line of thought DB's team would go with is since GER was introduced so late with incredibly vague understanding of its power or limits, if they'd its interaction with World Over Heaven to prescribe it some sort of limit.

I know that the whole game is considered non-canon overall, but since Araki was with the game's development and looked over the story if they'd use it to at least find something that GER can't RTZ to avoid a no-limits fallacy with its abilities. I don't think DB has used a sort of 'not-canon but can apply to canon' sort of thing before in recent memory, so I kinda feel like the odds of this being used is shaky at best. Mainly came from someone on the DB reddit bringing it up but discussion there didn't go too far.

As someone rooting for Joker to win (so totally biased here) I'd feel like them using that as an example of something Giorno can't effect might lead them to say that Joker's own 'reality-warping' with his cognition and Trickster abilities might be on a level above something that GER can affect. But again, very slim chance that's what the research team would do.
I wonder if Power Nullification can work on GER when you consider Heaven Ascension Dio nullified GER's powers.

Back