• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DEATH BATTLE! Discussion Thread (2024–2025) (All-time Death Battle Spoilers Alert)

There's something to that, but Japan has had an antagonistic relationship with Christianity at various times (just look up the persecution Christians faced under Toyotomi Hideyoshi and then under the Tokugawa Shogunate, starting with Tokugawa Ieyasu).
At the same time, where Christianity does exist in Japan, it's very strong. I know a number of Japanese Christians: all super devout and traditional. One thing that shows this was the novel Silence by Shusaku Endo. It had a rather controversial non-fiction Introduction, where the author seemed to suggest that Christianity and Japanese culture are inherently incompatible. This made a lot of Japanese Catholics really, really mad, because they both love their culture, and are deeply committed to their faith.

At the same time, where Christianity does exist in Japan, it's very strong. I know a number of Japanese Christians: all super devout and traditional. One thing that shows this was the novel Silence by Shusaku Endo. It had a rather controversial non-fiction Introduction, where the author seemed to suggest that Christianity and Japanese culture are inherently incompatible. This made a lot of Japanese Catholics really, really mad, because they both love their culture, and are deeply committed to their faith.
That's pretty interesting, but makes sense.

Thinking about it, what Japanese series portrays Christianity (or whatever fictional stand-in for Christianity) in a positive light? My first thought (because I'm far too much of "fanboy" of it) is the Nasuverse/Type-Moon where, despite Catholic priests being major antagonists in several series, Christianity is on the whole a good(-ish) thing (or at least, the Catholic Church is, despite being very shady and doing... questionable things in the name of the greater good).

Thinking about it, what Japanese series portrays Christianity (or whatever fictional stand-in for Christianity) in a positive light? My first thought (because I'm far too much of "fanboy" of it) is the Nasuverse/Type-Moon where, despite Catholic priests being major antagonists in several series, Christianity is on the whole a good(-ish) thing (or at least, the Catholic Church is, despite being very shady and doing... questionable things in the name of the greater good).
Jojo around Part 7

I'm guessing it's a pop-culture thing. The thing you mainly get out of pop-culture osmosis when it comes to Catholicism is, ya' know, that one you don't expect. ;-) You get less of the very long tradition of the Church being beating the heart and soul of Western culture, society, morality, etc.

Castlevania, Saint Young Men, and yes, SMT

That’s especially interesting since Araki grew up and went to a Protestant school and even if he fell out of the faith later in life he still has a generally positive view towards Christianity (that and he’s a giant Westaboo especially for Italy).
Protestants and Catholics can, to be perfectly honest, be at each other's throats a lot.

Castlevania
Aren't the Castlevania games at least more of a straight Good vs Evil affair, with Dracula being a very intentionally Satanic figure, while the Belmonts are very intentionally saintly ones?

Protestants and Catholics can, to be perfectly honest, be at each other's throats a lot.

Aren't the Castlevania games at least more of a straight Good vs Evil affair, with Dracula being a very intentionally Satanic figure, while the Belmonts are very intentionally saintly ones?
Unless you watch the shit stain that is the Castlevania anime, yes, the games are quite straightforward with that. There's a lot of Christian imagery, stuff that's painted in a good light.

Unless you watch the shit stain that is the Castlevania anime, yes, the games are quite straightforward with that. There's a lot of Christian imagery, stuff that's painted in a good light.
I've heard the anime is very popular, at least for the first season or so, but more among the general populace than actual fans of the games.

I've heard the anime is very popular, at least for the first season or so, but more among the general populace than actual fans of the games.
Yes, casual viewers might find nothing wrong with it, but those actually invested with the series can point out a billion things wrong with it.

The anime's greatest sin is skipping all the way from Castlevania 3, to Rondo of Blood. That's skipping both Simon's and Juste's stories. At this point it might just skip to the Sorrow games after this.

Last edited:
• Used a Secondary Canon feat for Hiei
963qtu.jpg

Yes, casual viewers might find nothing wrong with it, but those actually invested with the series can point out a billion things wrong with it.

The anime's greatest sin is skipping all the way from Castlevania 3, to Rondo of Blood. That's skipping both Simon's and Juste's stories. At this point it might just skip to the Sorrow games after this.
Yeah,they could've done leagues better with such an IP. I wished they made something more akin to Samurai Jack than the inaccurate slog that we got. Making it an anthology where each season is for each protagonist would've been cooler.

Season 1:Leon
Season 2:Trevor
Season 3:Christopher
Season 4:Simon
Etc.

Back