• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

At Least Universal DMC and more continued

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, y'all gotta love how the supporting side is still treating every single debunked feat in this thread as if they weren't debunked, and still were relevant and acceptable for scaling, whislt practically ignoring everything that genuinely and quantifiably happens in the games themselves to create the illusio of consistency where there is none.

When you present the claim that: "Mundus effortlessly created a universe and the demon world collapsed when he died, Argosax was uniting two halves of the universe into one with his power, Nightmare created a dimension with a sun and the Savior has many dimensions with suns and moons inside itself" to a person who is unfamiliar with the series, then of course it's going to appear consistent.

... But here's the thing, only to people who haven't played the series. That's the key here, that's the game being played, merely appearing convincing so you can eventually win through sheer numbers. This is also why the supposed number of "supporters" keeps being brought up every 50 posts or so as a sort of pseudo-checkmate argument.

Which in itself is merely a fallacy of the most classical kind and worth absolute bugger all in a serious, logical debate.

Instead, let us deconstruct the claims:

• There is absolutely zero, quantifiable, verifiable evidence that Mundus created the dimension in which his fight with Dante happened at the end of Devil May Cry. There is also, in fact, no confirmation of it being a universe save for a one-word tweet by a trolling creator who had been constantly pestered with "Who Would Win" questions for years, and who would respond to most of them with variants of "Ask your mom", "F*ck you", or outright calling the fans questioning "Insects".
  • The claim that the Underworld collapsed when Mundus died is absurd, and directly contradicted by every following installment in the series which shows that the Underworld being perfectly fine. Likewise, the claim only comes from a third-party guidebook created by Bradygames which was merely approved by Capcom, but did not share the game's writers. The person who wrote the guidebook likely mistook Mallet Island collapsing with the Underworld collapsing.
  • The statements of Argosax merging the Demon World and the Human World all come from Arius, a villain who is characterized as delusional and megalomaniacal, and who rants that absorbing Argosax' power will transform him into "An all-powerful immortal!", among other things. Likewise, the warping which occurs in game is demonstrably not the full extent of Arius' intended ambitions, with it only resulting in weird vortex and clouds in the sky, and the closer proximity between the worlds allowing more demons to swarm into Earth, and even Argosax himself ultimately only comes through a portal created at the center of said vortex. The notion that Argosax literally, and physically merged two separate universes is outright inane, and by far the most high-balled interpretation of Arius' ambiguous statements.
  • Nightmare's Mirror World does not, in fact, possess any sun, and really just has a swirling vortex in the sky. Aside from the fact that the demon is literally an incarnation of nightmares who fights his enemies by taking them into worlds filled with their subconscious fears, thus putting extreme doubts into the dimension even being real, it is at best only the size of Mallet Island.
  • The Savior's "dimensions" are by far the absolute worse, with said dimensions only being attested as even existing in a single line from a guidebook, which describes Nero going through a "nightmarish recreation" of a past area. There is absolutely no elaboration on what these are, who created them, where did they come from, what connection that they have with the Savior, and if they are literally physically inside him (and if so, how is this possible) or if alternatively, they are merely connected to him and Nero is simply transported. And if they vanished with the Savior's destruction.
Simply put, Devil May Cry has absolutely zero real, verifiable, and quantifiable feats that make applying 3-A scaling acceptable, nevermind the verifiable cornocupia of twisting that is being done with the series' scaling to hide the fact that it is a very obvious outlier even if it were legit.

Dante as a character has been repeatedly stated to have matched or even surpassed his father since the start of Devil May Cry 1, where he is stated to have a potential greater than Sparda, and ultimately defeating Mundus with a combination of Sparda's power along with his own. By the type of the anime and the novel, he is defeating Mundus on his own, casually stomping Sparda's greatest apprentices, and defeated another demon whose strength nears that of Mundus with ease. And by Devil May Cry 2? There he is defeated a rival of Sparda in base, and later defeated Argosax, who is stronger than Mundus, in base as well.

So why on Earth is Dante suddenly only allowed to be stronger than his daddy in Devil May Cry 5? I'll tell you why: It's because were the correct scaling to be accepted, the absurdity of "3-A Dante" as a claim would be all the more apparent.

Dante by himself has never literally done a feat that would be higher than Tier 8. His literal best feat is stopping the Savior's arm with some effort, a feat that was calculated years ago in the OBD as being between Building and Multi-City Block level.

With the added bonus of scaling, Dante however benefits from more, such as scaling from numerous demons who can affect the weather on a large scale, demons such as Mundus who can create a small island and have it collapse with his defeat, the Savior himself who was laying waste to many city blocks with his eye beams, Abigail who was affecting clouds and whatnot with a portal (Again, a God-Tier Demon relying on a portal to connect the realms, much like Sparda, the OG Badass Mofo of the franchise needing both assistance, sacrifice, and preparation to seal Temen-Ni-Gru), and finally the whole deal with the Big 'Effin Tree in Devil May Cry 5.

Note what all of these feats have in common: None of them come even gigalightyears close of universal. Yes, even those performed by the God Tiers.

April Fools must have arrived late, because Universal Devil May Cry is one of the worst proposed upgrades in the history of the wiki.

Yes being third party does not equal unreliable but just because Capcom was involved in it does not mean that it reliable either. Especially when I don't see a confirmation that these book should be taken as 100% canon. Kinda like how certain anime movies that author takes heavy part in aren't automatically considered canon.

Also

"The guidebook is simply undebatably wrong in this specific scenario though. Both Kamiya and the games go against it."

So if what said is true than one of these book supposedly supervised by Capcom has wrong info on it. So if one of them is already wrong I don't see why we should auto consider the others true without analyzing them first.

Matt, no offense, but let's tone down the snark a bit, alright? I don't think that jabs like April Fool's comparisons are gonna endear you to anyone. I'm tryin' to have fun by tackling a challenge, and you're going all Super Saiyan over an interpretation of a crazy action game on a Fandom wiki. Anyway, I'll get to those points presently, because they deserve respect and attention, just like any articulate case does. No one rip out any throats yet, just gimmie a sec.

I enjoy my posts just like I enjoy my pizza: Spicy, and with a bit of a thicker edge around it. And seriously, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking the strong approach to debating, and laying your opinion flat on the table, raw for all to see and with no pretenses of nicety.

I believe that Universal Devil May Cry is wrong, and so I say why, and I say it clearly. It's called controling the discussion. If you're constantly on the defensive and afraid of irritating or annoying or even voicing your opinion against the other side, then your argument will lose its power likewise.

> April Fools must have arrived late, because Universal Devil May Cry is one of the worst proposed upgrades in the history of the wiki.

For the god sake can you stop with that bait comment Mashu!!? This is why you get bad reputation as admin, there is more but this is the glaring one.

@XenoBreaker2803

There is no reason to assume guidebooks or not canon and it's foolish to need a statement to prove a guidebook is canon when it's just that, a guidebook which is about the game and explain things in it and not all of the guidebooks are made by the same person.And once again the human world and demon world being a universe was already proven above without the guidebooks, their is no point of continuing this particular discussion.

I'm sorry to hear you don't care to have a more casual discussion, -- anything more intense is bound to cause controversy 'round the interwebs -- but I shall try my best to provide the voice of one while keeping pace with your case.

- I'm hoping you know how collaborative evidence works; having support, let's take the simple, apparent feat at face value, instead of imposing subjective and unreliable (not to mention emotionally fueled at this stage) perspectives. So let's move on to the support.

- Mundus got sealed, not killed, so being in a state of stasis like that helps collaborate. Again, we're looking at a lot of uncertain things (subjective term; more like "things people are uncertain about"), looking for connections. That's how explanations work: plausibility and illumination. The very foundation of philosphical logic.

- No need to impose bizarre headcanons about highly detailed, specific exposition serving no purpose other than to demonstrate the mood swings of a character. You are using ad hoc definitions of unreliability.

- I already detailed that the Nightmare Void correlates with the substitute of the sun in the Mirror World. The subconscious argument is old hat; it has already been ascertained that Dante was physically teleported and that only the mere appearance of the demons is illusional.

- I don't really care about the Savior stuff. Correlative at best.

- Sealing/merging/hax, or lack thereof =/= AP, or lack thereof.

We don't often see Castlevania or SMT characters blow up buildings in their Tier 2 bouts (often with vastly weaker foes than the top tiers). Granted, DMC hasn't as many feats as those games, but they've more media, and every single DMC game has either plausible feats or correlating lore/scaling. We look at the evidence, not subjective impostions of intuition.

Dienomite22 said:
@XenoBreaker2803
There is no reason to assume guidebooks or not canon and it's foolish to need a statement to prove a guidebook is canon when it's just that, a guidebook which is about the game and explain things in it and not all of the guidebooks are made by the same person.And once again the human world and demon world being a universe was already proven above without the guidebooks, their is no point of continuing this particular discussion.
Kinda needed when one of them have proven to have unreliable info in them. And if what Matt says is true was only published by Capcom and not even looked over by Kamiya. If we just blindly accept every Guidebook as canon without going over them first we have Universal Naruto by now and Lightspeed part 1 ninja.

Also where else is Universe mentioned beside Guidebook and the first few pages of the manga?

@Xeno -- Don't no nuthin' 'bout no ninja stuff unless it's a cheesy Godfrey Ho movie, but the case here is one of consistencies based on probablities, not mere possibilities. I don't know for sure if that's how the wiki prefers to operate, but any critcism of logic, math, history, science, and such do. A good explanation is one that is relatively simple, universally applicable, well-sourced, internally consistent, and illuminatory of other facts while relying on as little subjective definitions ("This info is unreliable, this isn't meant to be taken at face value") as possible. But let's let Matt speak.

@Matt -- Spicy pizza is ok, so long as there's no gross toppings and they don't leave off the sauce. Sauce-less pizza is nasty, imo.

@XenoBreaker2803

The same guidebook that you are claiming is unreliable is the same guidebook that has Kamiya's direct input on Mundus's name and it's meaning, which is used as supposed evidence for Mundus not being universal, he was aware of it.Either way your original question has already been resolved.

@MatthewSchroeder

Imma just attack your points directly:

1.Outright lie, in-game cutscenes and showings by Mundus already proven above that Mundus feat can't be interpreted as nothing but creation and we outright said multiple times that we don't care about Kamiya's tweet so stop mentioning it as if we are using it as a basis for our claims.

2.Nobody cares about this now.

3.You've said nothing here besides how Arius acts and try to use that to discredit him as a reliable source and you failed to remember mention literally everything @ParadoxIndifferent brougth up and what was discussed above.

4.I will always agree that the feat isn't anything 4-C but stop trying to say it isn't real, you will always be wrong about this.

5.Needs it's own discussion tbh.

And the rest is just you going on a rant about your beliefs and ignoring context of events.

Whoa, slow down & don't live up to the pronunciation of your name, Dienomite! I'm in your side of the court, but let's take it mellow and give the guy a chance to respond. I think he's in a weird timezone, anyway, so Matt's doing a favor by showing up, even if we don't agree with his points or demeanor. No biggie. Enjoy the synapses, accept the result.

Even if it's not teleportation nor an illusion, it is still extremely unclear if he actually created the dimension or not. Mundus simply spread his arms and suddenly they are in outer space. There is no dialogue nor anything indicating that Mundus created a dimension.

@Matthew Schroeder

You failed to provide any new information, literally zero_Only rant about your disbelief of feats and took events out of context or left out information already provided above.

I spent almost 20 minutes writing a giant freaking post addressing each and every point in favor of the upgrade from your Original Point and deconstructing and debunking every one.

You replied with one line bullet points which didn't address anything in-depth or bring anything new.

@Spino -- Well, it's possible that you're just a brain in a jar in a lab, and that we're all your imagination, but that's silly and has no evidence or reasoning in it's favor save for "possibility." We go with the most likely explanation, not use of the explosion principle to kill every sound theory just because some left-field oddity could pop up. Again, a good explanation is one that is relatively simple, universally applicable, well-sourced, internally consistent, and illuminatory of other facts while relying on as little subjective definitions ("This info is unreliable, this isn't meant to be taken at face value") as possible. Bringing up seventeen-odd fan theories to work around one solid theory is poor reasoning.

@Matt -- Don't worry, I got you covered; just scroll up a bit to my post, please.

By the way, we're past 420 posts -- stop laughing -- so I suggest use the rest economically to wait for Matt, respond, and then vote on what to do next. Agreed?

@Matthew Schroeder

No, you tried to attack the characters of people who agree (which you've done multiple times), bring up Kamiya as if he mattered, failed to mention the context of feats in DMC2 and then ranted about your disbelief of the tiering and didn't bring one lick of evidence or source of information.

I was literally the first person to bring context to Devil May Cry 2. You didn't do such a thing in your attempt. Not now and not before, you merely present them at face value.

There is no real feat and it is an outlier.

@Matthew Schroeder

Forgive me, the only context you've brought is the one that fit's your agenda which is Arius's eccentric behavior which you try to use to discredit him and the portal at the end of DMC2 which you failed to mention was only Argosax being unsealed and wasn't meant to be the reason for the universe merge.My evidence and context was already posted above, the stuff you didn't mention

Dienomite22 said:
@Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan
"If it walks like a duck"
Oh please, it is not a "Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck" situation. It is nothing like what you insist it is.

@Spinosaurus75DinosaurFan

Literally never says that, you took it out of context and somehow added words to it.

@Matt -- I don't really blame you if you missed it, but I discussed the context of various facets of DMC2 earlier. I used to have a position similar to yours, but I decided to look at the evidence instead of shrugging due to intuition. Your response just now offers no refutation of my claims that you use ad hoc definitions of unreliability to ice out whatever you don't like, nor have you really added much context of your own. Do you have anything to say to my other refutations, or do you simply concede on those grounds? Just don't want to strawman you, here.

Incidentally, I do not have any problem with taking nformation at face value if it is consistent. You must prove it is actually inconsistent beyonhd your own emotions. Again, a good explanation is one that is relatively simple, universally applicable, well-sourced, internally consistent, and illuminatory of other facts while relying on as little subjective definitions ("This info is unreliable, this isn't meant to be taken at face value") as possible. Bringing up seventeen-odd fan theories to work around one solid theory based on apparent information and collaborative context alike is poor reasoning.

@Spino -- Mallet Island is an inter-universal nexus that collapsed and disappeared upon Mundus' sealing. It was never seen before his return, either.

So I am gonna say this right now.

To be blunt 1 sentence or 1 paragraph responses will not help here. If you are gonna debate points, each argument will have to be debated, no matter how tedious it seems. Why? Because, both sides that their evidence and context points to their side. We are also not going to get anywhere with insults or attacking the characters of others. Remember how this current revision started. Keep it like that.

-One sentence/paragraph replies to text walls get nowhere.

-Aggressiveness and Insults get nowhere.

-Constantly saying "you bring nothing new" get nowhere.

-Saying "this is already debunked" gets nowhere.

-Saying "you debunked nothing gets nowhere.

-Being uncivil gets nowhere.

Understand? This discussion will go nowhere until you all debate like normal people. No matter what, this is a hostile atmosphere with both sides being hostile. And thus this will go nowhere. So can you all not cut each other's heads off?

@Dragon -- My apologies; let me know whenever I get out of line. Communication through forum text is so deprived of tone and inflection that it's easy to hurt others that way. Just want to let you guys know that I'm here to excersize debating skills I have attempted to attain in other circles, using an ultimately inconsequential (yet complex and fascinating) topic to do so. It should be all good in hood at the end of the day.

Mallet Island being connected with the demon world does not, in any way, shape, or form, diminish the undeniable fact that Dante nearly died to a Tier 7 explosion.

He ain't that strong fam.

@Matt -- I would say that being in a place whose existence gets erased from the face of the earth is a way to die, or at least get trapped. The explosion might as well be inconsequential, save for that it would have destroyed the biplane he used to escape.

@Dienomite, below this post -- Thank you, but I think my logic is a better line of reasoning.

@Matthew Schroeder

You do know Dante and Trish possibly dying from the explosion directly lines up with the current scaling?

@Follow Doctor Freeman, used my time machine to post this.Anyways that's possible, no reason to stay on a exploding island even if you can survive it especially if Trish who isn't that strong is on that island aswell.

Right off the bat, your whole complaint about the DMC supporters is that we apparently try to wear people off with large walls of text and take a long while to get to the point. Considering that about 99% of every single large post you made on this thread is composed of nothing but a bunch of meaningless babbling about how much 3-A Devil May Cry is "impossible, inane, the worst thing in this wiki", with the actual arguments composing only a small portion of the post, you're already off to a bad start on the department of staying consistent and providing your arguments in a well thought-out and organized manner, not to mention rambling.

Anyway, since I have been focusing on Argosax the whole thread, I will keep doing so here. Dienomite and the others have already done a good job of deconstructing your arguments on other situations, and I myself don't want to waste any time with the Savior and Nightmare.

Nothing new has been brought up, as is usually the case, just the same debunked, old arguments as before.

> The statements of Argosax merging the Demon World and the Human World all come from Arius, a villain who is characterized as delusional and megalomaniacal, and who rants that absorbing Argosax' power will transform him into "An all-powerful immortal!", among other things

Not only is this off to a bad start by being a blatant lie, since Arius isn't the only person whose statements support such a thing, but it is also an outright incorrect argument. Arius is only megalomanionacal when he is talking about his desire to become immortal. Meanwhile, this statement is said on a very serious scene focused mainly on hopelessness, where Lucia discovers how not even her own name is real, and how her whole ordeal of hiding the Arcanas is useless either way. Arius has studied Demon Legends and Argosax for a long time, and has dedicated years in the rituals and on his search es for the Arcanas. Trying to dismiss his words when he isn't even talking about becomming imortal, but just telling Lucia that Argosax's powers are already distorting the world, is an atrocious way of arguing.

Whether people want it or not, Argosax's feat of making the Demon World and the Human World merge is constantly repeated and reinforced, both in the game and the guides. The guide outright mentions Dante needing to stop Argosax or lest our entire dimension will be consumed by the Demon World, and several missions outright show the effect of the approaching Demon World, with entire regions having their time literally stopped, among other distorted effects.

> Likewise, the warping which occurs in game is demonstrably not the full extent of Arius' intended ambitions, with it only resulting in weird vortex and clouds in the sky, and the closer proximity between the worlds allowing more demons to swarm into Earth, and even Argosax himself ultimately only comes through a portal created at the center of said vortex

This is an extremely vague and arbitrary counter, based off of entirely personal feelings of what it should look like.The Demon World in Devil May Cry is a chaotic universe full of distorted ambients and the effect that its approach and near-merger with our world exacts is exactly that; the whole world has been distorted, with entire regions being warped into chaos and desorganization, our sky becoming the sky of the Demon World, and the passage of time being slowed down severely. Nothing else is necessary to drive the point home. Just because you personally expected to see something else or because the feat wasn't visually appealing enough to you doesn't mean it is invalid. No need to spend any more time with this inane point.

Argosax comes through a portal because he was sealed away on the other side of the portal, and Arius's entire ritual with the Arcanas is to fully unseal Argosax. The whole world warping and distortions were taking place because Argosax had begun to be unsealed and his seal was weakening. Arius opens the portal which will release him from his prison. It has nothing to do with Attack Potency or not. The portal meme needs to stop.

> The notion that Argosax literally, and physically merged two separate universes is outright inane, and by far the most high-balled interpretation of Arius' ambiguous statements.'

That's fine. Personal belief is not necessary, it's just an unambiguous fact that is outright told to us in both the guidebooks, where it is outright stated that our entire dimension will be consumed by the approaching Demon World, and the games, where it is said that the world will revert to its original state - the same one talked about in the DMC3 manga intro, and how we outright see this feat described and visualized in the later stages of the game. Mission 14 literally tells us that the Demon World is almost one with the Human World already. By the time Argosax and Dante have their big face-off, the worlds are effectively one.

So once again, nothing new and same old arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back