• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Anima: Beyond Discussion Thread

You can read about that in the Chapter XX of the Core Book.

Basically every object or living being are conformed by two facets: it's substance and its spirit.

The substance is the physical matter, whenever the spiritual is the idea of the object or creature. The spiritual facet exist in what is called the Sea of Souls, and in the Nexus (the core) is inhabited by the essence of those that have yet to exist, be the unborn or objects that have not be invented quite get.

When someone dies, the soul travels all the way from the material world, through The Wake, back to the Sea of Souls, where its spirit is cleansed of everything it was, and later "recicled".

Note that there is a difference between soul and spirit: only living beings possesses a soul (or few powered undead), as what the book says, if you split a human, it dies and its soul go back to the sea, but if you split a rock in two, it's spirits divides in two.

You can read about that in the Chapter XX of the Core Book.

Basically every object or living being are conformed by two facets: it's substance and its spirit.

The substance is the physical matter, whenever the spiritual is the idea of the object or creature. The spiritual facet exist in what is called the Sea of Souls, and in the Nexus (the core) is inhabited by the essence of those that have yet to exist, be the unborn or objects that have not be invented quite get.

When someone dies, the soul travels all the way from the material world, through The Wake, back to the Sea of Souls, where its spirit is cleansed of everything it was, and later "recicled".

Note that there is a difference between soul and spirit: only living beings possesses a soul (or few powered undead), as what the book says, if you split a human, it dies and its soul go back to the sea, but if you split a rock in two, it's spirits divides in two.
Link?

Ehm, I'm afraid I'm not in conditions to post scans or links. But you can check the book and the Chapter XX of the basic book (if you have it) where is mentioned how the Sea of Souls work.

Alternatively, you can check in the wiki Edwelken's blogs about Anima, where I'm he posted scans. I'm almost sure that such blogs are linked in the verse page.

Sea_of_souls.png

There are few abilities that work as "passives", Nemesis could grant aura that reduces the effects of the main energies (ki, magic, psionics and summoning), as well as stats decrease; albeit passive, they need to be activated first, and most of them have a cost, so they aren't free.

You'll also find creatures that have passive-like effects, most notable the Baroque (should have a page in the wiki), and Malekith have fear inducing aura that strikes every time the targets blink.

There must be other examples, between powers and creatures (in principle, nothing stops you from creating a ki technique that emulates an passive effect), but I do not remember them right now.

Btw, for those that are part of any of the official Discord channels, there's a Cob planned for the 17th of this month. As you may already know, you can ask the co-author of the game any doubt you may have.

If you aren't part of the Discord, we'll, I have question planned at the moment, so if you have a question you may suggest it here and I may consider asking that to Carlos.

Ehm, I'm afraid I'm not in conditions to post scans or links. But you can check the book and the Chapter XX of the basic book (if you have it) where is mentioned how the Sea of Souls work.

Alternatively, you can check in the wiki Edwelken's blogs about Anima, where I'm he posted scans. I'm almost sure that such blogs are linked in the verse page.
Hey do you have a sandbox on the character ? Like the characters we make ? Also are the abilities that are shown that DONT mention gnosis still able to be bypassed by gnosis ?

Sandbox within the wiki? Don't think anyone has made sandbox of characters, and a profile of the verse hasn't been created in a while.

There are general rules for the Gnosis, so if an ability does not mention Gnosis then pretty sure it would work regardless of Gnosis.

Sandbox within the wiki? Don't think anyone has made sandbox of characters, and a profile of the verse hasn't been created in a while.

There are general rules for the Gnosis, so if an ability does not mention Gnosis then pretty sure it would work regardless of Gnosis

There are general rules for the Gnosis, so if an ability does not mention Gnosis then pretty sure it would work regardless of Gnosis.
Mmmmm ok so it has to mention gnosis for it to actually work

What’s the max gnosis your created character can obtain ? I’ve heard it’s 25-35 max

Created character as PC? There's almost no way for a character to access to divine magic (outside of Megas Therion), if there's one way to do so then it involve being almost an avatar of Erebus, and then use some darkness spell, but if such method was possible I no longer remember (munchkin tactics are not my pill).

There are ways of increasing to Gn 45 temporary tho, with the use of the Light/Darkness spells, but only while you're in a dream/nightmare.

There are spells such Chimerize that turn you into a between world creature. Although perdonally, turning into a extra planar being is not a great idea.

Created character as PC? There's almost no way for a character to access to divine magic (outside of Megas Therion), if there's one way to do so then it involve being almost an avatar of Erebus, and then use some darkness spell, but if such method was possible I no longer remember (munchkin tactics are not my pill).

There are ways of increasing to Gn 45 temporary tho, with the use of the Light/Darkness spells, but only while you're in a dream/nightmare.

There are spells such Chimerize that turn you into a between world creature. Although perdonally, turning into a extra planar being is not a great idea.
Thanks ! Also what’re some passive abilities or spells ? I just finished the player book and I saw some passives here and there but what do u have

I believe that by "passive" you mean an status effect inducements in an AoE, isn't it?

Take into account that passive as the game mention refer that it can be executed as a passive action (aka, reaction).

That said, I like the Create Darkness effect, it may look simple, but anyone unable to see in darkness will be basically blinded, and the spell is extremely cheap. The Creation path is also considered broken by the community, perhaps you could give it a look.

Perhaps there are interesting AoE power between the Arcana, but if I'm honest, the summoner subsystem is not my favorite and I do not read the description often.

I believe that by "passive" you mean an status effect inducements in an AoE, isn't it?

Take into account that passive as the game mention refer that it can be executed as a passive action (aka, reaction).

That said, I like the Create Darkness effect, it may look simple, but anyone unable to see in darkness will be basically blinded, and the spell is extremely cheap. The Creation path is also considered broken by the community, perhaps you could give it a look.

Perhaps there are interesting AoE power between the Arcana, but if I'm honest, the summoner subsystem is not my favorite and I do not read the description often.
are spells instant ? Like when they say “ the user casts a spell “ and yatayatayata is it instant unless stated otherwise ?

Depends of the type of the spell. Active spells naturally requires the initiative to be casted, and naturally can't be casted if you were forced to the defensive. Offensive spells are generally active.

Then there are the Passive spell, that can be casted regardless of the initiative, as is the case of defensive shields and such.

Naturally, you do need enough MA (Magic Accumulation) to cast the spell in a single round, otherwise you would not have enough zeon to execute the spell in one round.

Oh, and btw, after a couple of months of being offline, the microsite is up once again. The page also has avalible the option to buy the pdf (here). For the time being, they are only available in spanish, but the english version will be uploaded soon (soon is a relative word), including the english version of the Core Exxet and Gaïa Vol II.

Depends of the type of the spell. Active spells naturally requires the initiative to be casted, and naturally can't be casted if you were forced to the defensive. Offensive spells are generally active.

Then there are the Passive spell, that can be casted regardless of the initiative, as is the case of defensive shields and such.

Naturally, you do need enough MA (Magic Accumulation) to cast the spell in a single round, otherwise you would not have enough zeon to execute the spell in one round.
Wait so I don’t understand if that means it’s a fast acting spell or a spell that takes time ? Cuz that’s my main concern there’s so much powerful abilities but if they aren’t quick acting in most 1 v 1s they’ll just get beat up
And if they do act fast can u provide s and

How much time it's take to cast a spell depends of the MA (Magic Accumulation) value os the user.

Different spells possesses a zeonic value, so if the MA value of the user is below that value, that means the user will require over one round (3 seconds) to cast the spell. In charge, if the MA is equal or above the spell zeonic value, it means it can be casted in a single round (no more than 3 seconds).

If the MA is pretty high, one may even cast more than one spell per round.

Note that the MA value in the sheet is unmodified, it may be increased temporary by spending fatigue points, essentially accelerating the casting. In the other side, if the caster cannot gesture (like casting while using physical combat) and/or chant, it has its MA halved unless it has the Gestureless/Voiceless Casting trait.

For more information about spellcasting I recommend you to read the chapter 11 of the basic book.

How much time it's take to cast a spell depends of the MA (Magic Accumulation) value os the user.

Different spells possesses a zeonic value, so if the MA value of the user is below that value, that means the user will require over one round (3 seconds) to cast the spell. In charge, if the MA is equal or above the spell zeonic value, it means it can be casted in a single round (no more than 3 seconds).

If the MA is pretty high, one may even cast more than one spell per round.

Note that the MA value in the sheet is unmodified, it may be increased temporary by spending fatigue points, essentially accelerating the casting. In the other side, if the caster cannot gesture (like casting while using physical combat) and/or chant, it has its MA halved unless it has the Gestureless/Voiceless Casting trait.

For more information about spellcasting I recommend you to read the chapter 11 of the basic book.
Can you link me the book ?
And how fast would this spell be for example

SPECTRAL MARK
Level: 1
MK: 30
The character compacts, accumulating a great amount of spectral
energy inside, only to unleash it seconds later by forming dozens
of phantasmagoric arms around him. Not only do they damage his
enemies, they also leave a heavy imprint in their souls that allows the
character to direct his attacks against them more easily as if, as of that
moment, his blows were guided by a supernatural force.
This Technique allows the character to carry out a Supernatural
Attack in a radius of 30 feet. All those affected automatically suffer the
effects of a Minor Brand for one hour.
POW 6 WIL 6 DEX 6”

Can you link me the book ?
Unfortunately, I don't think I can post book files in the wiki, you would need to write me through Discord if want me to give you a link (I, however, have limited connection for the time being, so it may take some time to give you a link).
SPECTRAL MARK
Level: 1
MK: 30
The character compacts, accumulating a great amount of spectral
energy inside, only to unleash it seconds later by forming dozens
of phantasmagoric arms around him. Not only do they damage his
enemies, they also leave a heavy imprint in their souls that allows the
character to direct his attacks against them more easily as if, as of that
moment, his blows were guided by a supernatural force.
This Technique allows the character to carry out a Supernatural
Attack in a radius of 30 feet. All those affected automatically suffer the
effects of a Minor Brand for one hour.
POW 6 WIL 6 DEX 6”
This is not a spell, is a ki technique; and the time needed to execute it depends of the Ki Accumulation values of the character.

Guess that would be me... kinda; in general, I'm barely semi-active in the wiki lately. I comment in here to share news, although not sure if people keep an eye to the thread anymore.

And talking about news, AS is working the last details for the Orochi's sheet:

Guess that would be me... kinda; in general, I'm barely semi-active in the wiki lately. I comment in here to share news, although not sure if people keep an eye to the thread anymore.

And talking about news, AS is working the last details for the Orochi's sheet:

Do you plan on touching the profiles any time soon ? A lot have complained of how outdated the pages are, characters can’t even be matched against others. For instance, the nameless has FTL combat which absolutely no one scales to, which is kind of bizzare since the likes of ergo and baal and keep up with him.

Because I tried making revisions in the past and they were kind of ignored, I stopped trying after a while: verse is kind of obscure to get people to check the revisions.

Yes, there are few unjustified stats (I actually disagree with few current stats), and the Gnosis blog can use some improvement, but given there is no demand, I'm not pressured by this issue (and seemly, the other "supporters" neither are). Either way, I'm too old to get to create profiles, but I can still give input if needed.

The verse could get to top 5 strongest 2c’s on the site if people cared enough but it is what it is. When I have the time, I could notify two other users who seem to have better knowledge on the verse than I do on possible reworks. I do have some questions though,

1. What’s currently the speed rating for the high tiers in the verse ?

2. Is the nameless/john really just gnosis 35 ? I know it says so stats wise but if he really is then can he kill higher gnosis with death? .

3. Where can I find info on the verse apart from what has already been provided on the anima pages ?

1. What’s currently the speed rating for the high tiers in the verse ?
The speed if you ask has been not definied properly. We know is subsonic for those that reach mastery in combat (200+), supersonic for those that equal 280 in combat by breaking the limit of fire arms muzzle speed (they cap at Impossible difficulty), then you have a not so definied value for thos ethat reach 320+ (Inhuman difficulty) by being able to move "through a rain of high velocity projectiles", and finally 440 (Zen) people gave them Speed of Light due "riding a light beam" (honestly I find that statement vague, and such text was also removed from the current edition).

I can argue a higher speed value based in having the probability to dodge with no penalty the Holocaust of Light spell in Arcane degree, that cover an area of 1 AU (Astronomical Unit). Of course, there are few issues with this, like how difficult to dodge the spell depends of the casting ability of the attacker, or that one do not necessary need to jump up a 1 AU unit into the space to dodge it.
2. Is the nameless/john really just gnosis 35 ? I know it says so stats wise but if he really is then can he kill higher gnosis with death? .
He is really Gnosis 35 as you have read it in the sheet. As the Gnosistic difference between a being of Gnosis 35+ and the attacker is not above 25, then it can be killed (even if temporary). Plus, Nameless has his arm, that ignores special immunities and has no apparent Gnosis limitation.
3. Where can I find info on the verse apart from what has already been provided on the anima pages ?
The ttrpg books naturally: Core Book, The Gamemaster's Toolskit, Arcana Exxet, Dominus Exxet, Gaïa vol I and II, Those Who Walked Among Us, Prometheus Exxet, as well as the free supplements that you can find in the Anima official microsite (including Dramatis Personae vol I and II, Etheldrea's sheet, Jikogu no Kami's sheet, most recently's Orochi's sheet, and the Dravenor supplement coming soon). You can alos get info from the videogames: Ark of Sinner and Gate of Memories. Song of the Abyss is coming this year (supposely).

Back