• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Anima: Beyond Discussion Thread

The standard Gnosis powers (like Auspice) do not need to be brought, but the others like Compact Reality or Existential Damage (or any creature creation powers) needs to be brought first (you can even see their costs).

Ah, yeah, those Divine Powers... Weren't you referring to those? Hm, I shouldn't have called them in that way.

Btw, where's Ed? I haven't see him in a while.

Hah, then, sorry the misunderstanding, Gnostic advantages are obtained by default (unless facing someone of Gn EX, not that they lost them but few are kinda useless), and do not generally listed in the sheets. But we already have other two blogs about gnostic powers, why create another one?

Also, not related to Anima by itself, but as a new, ExRegnum published their first adventure of REN (that one new game that use the same system as Anima), hasn't even be formaly published and yet it already have the same amount of adventures than Anima. And still without imprinted version of the last CdB.

Because the creature power blog isn't about the Gnosis-based powers, its about the powers that someone who gains Gnosis or DP mid-match or whatever would be able to get.

The old trick to get divinity... although is pretty situational, I forget the "most efficient method", but it involve the Lv 80 spells from the Light and Darkness paths, I'll see if I can find the thread in the forum.

Sure, give me some time. Guess you do not want to known what does it says about the rules and just wants to known about lore, isn't it?

Here you go:

Q: In the Etheldrea's background, is mentioned that she possesses the capability to open gates to other planes of existences, from where she can call entities that she has signed a pact with. How those it works rule wise? Cool power, the spell Portal or has skills as Summoner? Could you give few examples of what entity would come at her call?

A: Few Lords of Nightmares, demons, high elementals, one Seraphim Potestas, one or more Kami. And yes, she has Summoner levels (Summoning only).

Q: The Duk'zarist that appears in the Core is Ark Noah?

A: No, that is justa generic example of a Duk. Ark Noah is a child around Elisabetta's age, have something similar to the Loly Ann's curse that prevents her from growing. Ark Noah is NOT Ambrosia's mother.

Q: Is there some creature with existing sheet that possesses more than one category, even if doesn't appears in the books?

A: Yes.

Q: If only the Power in the Shadows and Eljared are capable to travel through the Barrier. From where is Desdemona's key coming from?

A: Is the Power in the Shadow's key.

Q: Is Dereck Shezzard the weakest of the Imperium's Godkillers with or without his seals?

A: Even without the seals he's still the weakest.

Q: Is Killian the Godkiller from the Twilight Brotherhood?

A: I think it is, I would need to check it (at the end it was confirmed to be true).

Q: Levels/Categories of Yliana and Kira? Has any of them modifications? Has Valis increased a level since Gaia I?

A: They are around Lv 7-8. Yliana has implants in the eyes, the other has nothing. Don't think Valis has increased any level.

Q: More info about Yliana?

A: Assassin, use Psi powers, it DOESN'T have Blood of Niflheim.

Q: Has Jedah made contact with Legion Ramses after the Breach?

A: No

Q: Solomon's Category, Lemures's brother? Is he a Processed?

A: Not going to answer the second question, but his category is Acrobatic Warrior.

Q: Does Astraega has a pact with the World and the Star? How many Summoning? Yehudah's experiments gave her any level adjustment?

A: Yes, she have. Have relatively little Summoning (Needs +80 to summon the World after a ritual of several turns). The experiments are only justifications of her signed pacts.

Q: Is the Desdemona from the Necromancy path the pre-Book of the Dead's Desdemona?

A: Yes, when she used to be human.

No problem, there's few more answered doubts there, but the rest are about the rules (and another one about A Certain Magical Index).

Got flesh from Carlos about the Machine, here you go:

Q: What kind of energy does the Machine use? Where and how can be obtained? If deprived from it, does she "ran out of batteries"?

A: The type of energy is unknown, but is not magical not related to it. In some way is similar to the psychic matrixes energy, but is not purely psi. Yes, without it, remain in slumber.

Q: Where the psychic crystals comes from? From the same age the Machine appeared after the War of Darkness, or they were scattered from previous ages? Do they wear down over time?

A: Previous age. They wear down, but slowly.

Q: If Mazikeen succeed in opening a path from Dravenor to Gai, at what moment will she have control over the dormant larvae? Would instantly awake the Motherfrom the Inner Sea? (Does she have a name?)

A: No, she wouldn't control them directly, but she would have influence over them. That Mother has no known name.

Q: Little time ago we talk about that if a Mother awakes in Gaia could control those with implanted psychic crystals. There's a way to avoid that (beyond, obviously, remove it)?

A: Careful. Not everyone with direct control. But even in the worst case scenario, it would have certain influence over them.

Q: Could something interrupt the link between the hive mind and one of its units? If affirmative, What?

A: Several things actually. If you noticed, the Barrier itself behave as an isolator. Other very powerful barriers (or technomagic system designed with such end) could perform that action.
Q: Could the Machine have errors (glitches)? What could cause them?

A: Feelings.

Q: Would an EM pulse have some effect over the Machine?

A: Nop. They aren't electrical.

Q: The one-million-dollar question: How could the Machine be defeated (without help from the Power of the Shadow) in Gaia's current age, who would take actions first, how would the resistance organize and who would have more chances?

A: Uff… depends of SO MUCH variables… that is difficult to tell. Nowadays, at present, without counting with the Power on the Shadows, there's enough forces in Gaia to destroy the Machine's first wave if it passes through the Barrier. Honestly, there's a bunch of potencies operating on Gaia. The problem would be not taking actions on time and leave it to becomes stronger, cuz it would grow in an exponential rate, absorbing powerful entities that would equalize the conflict. But come on… Is complicated to define.

Q: Could a new Mother rise, or they simply "are". Any clue about their origin?

A: Nop.

Quick translation made by me, btw.

So, I decided to continue with the secundary blog adding more applications, so when adding the skill of character we link it later.

Unfortunately I got it in spanish for most links the english core not just have bad quality but also is pre-core and not updated, so in case any of you want to re-create it with understable links you're free to do so.

Been binge reading Anima and its PDFs and currently working on a high-level campaign. Which is to say the party starts with exceptional attributes in all but one or two areas. There is just one thing though.

While I enjoy all the mysterious NPCs in Anima and such, I feel like it might have been better to skip the "slightly exceptional mortal" and move straight to the heroic battles.

Which is to say have Level 1 be Level 4-5 instead if that makes sense.

It feels like the author wanted to emulate the characters starting out being fairly low-key, but there is such an abundance of high level characters that it feels like it would be better to have you get to the meat a bit quicker. Which is not to say that you can't. It just feels like it would have been better to lean into the blatantly supernatural from the start.

If that makes sense.

The Regnum RPG definitely has me interested as well.

Yeah, in the discord group we generally start with level 3, as its considered "peak humans" by the standards (is like, could defeat few city guards in a single battles, but yet unable to fight elite soldiers). Level 1 chaarcters, despite being above the average, are just kind of trash, plus the Technicists and Warlocks kind of sucks at low levels.

Unfortunately, Regnum no longer will use the Anima System, there were few problems between Carlos and the Regnum's team. Now they use a system more similar to 1800, made by the same creator of that game (that by itself, is like a mixture of d20 and Anima).

Well, we are doing some house rules. For one, the -30 penalty to an untrained area does not apply. You just roll the D100 and that is it. You have a 40 in areas that you should simply be considered capable of as a living entity.

Because whot. Someone with no points in Notice needing to roll a 50 in order to notice a farmer walking up on you? :p

Summoners get 40 in their main specialty. Fighting classes get 40 to Attack and Defense as well as Wear Armor.

Because whot. Someone with no points in Notice needing to roll a 50 in order to notice a farmer walking up on you? :p

Oof. Is D100 restricted to Anima or something? Or is there going be a change in how combat works and the like?

And never heard of 1800 before. What is it like?

Edit: And just streamlined the skill tree a bit. Having to deal with Swimming, Jumping and Climbing being three different skills is just... Nah. Just smacked them all into Athletics.

Yeah, Notice is kind of an essential secondary, not developing that ability is a death wish if one is attacked by a stalker class (that is how is called in english?). The other secondary is Withstand Pain.

So fighting classes are gifted with at most 160 DPs? Including Domine? Although, a lv 3 Warrior/Weaponmaster already have a 30 AA/PA by default (a little more depending of advantages).

The d100 no, but Regnum planned in using that specific Anima SYstem, even including a new class, the Channeler. But Carlos didn't like that they were disbalancing the game, so it removed the license.

1800: El Ocaso de la Humanidad is another spanish game, pretty good (although, only read the core one time), and is currently free.

Pretty much I guess. I let them get a free 40 in skills like Athletics (that now covers swimming, climbing and jumping), 40 in Notice and Search. Track I left alone. Although a Ranger would definitely have 40 in Track.

Basically giving them what I consider basic competency in what their class should be good at from the get-go. And if you want to be exceptional, it is now easier to be that since you start with a higher amount.

Playing as a Warrior with Eternal Blood and trying to make a racial template for the Legacy. All that comes to mind is increased Regenerationn at the cost of needing to eat far more than others, maybe extra Physical Resistance and a bonus to the Instant Death Resistance trait of the blood perhaps?

And I see. Another aspect as to why I enjoy Anima so much in terms of reading is due to the obvious anime influence it has. Saint Seiya being martial art shenanigans is just topkek.

Or Mystic Eyes Of Death Perception (Kara No Kyoukai/Tsukihime) being a thing. Or just the flippin' Sharingan.

I feel like it does seem to contradict itself though. It wants to be over the top and anime, but the mechanics doesn't really lend itself to that apart from the escalation of abilities and some later additions in the PDF that deals with martial arts.

What is 1800 like? Is it Anima-like in terms of combat or the overall anime inspiration?

One thing you can do is gift cultural advantages (assuming the campaign is in Gaia), although naturally, they would need to buy the ability.

For the case of anime shenaniganz, one would need to Dominus Exxet, and once you known the rule, one have much freedom in making any power. I actually have created few adaptations, is kind of fun. Naturally, is just to emulate abilities and not a 1:1 convertion, although no one stop someone from doing a module (in the official mega for example we got a Pokemon module).

1800 is a apocalipyptic dystopia were a portal in the world appears and then demons goes full genicide (not much at point with the story). Is not animesque, is more like Bloodborn, but with steampunk and teslapunk.

The Dominus one we do have so there is that. The main trouble is that we have two Summoners so that is going to be a bit tough for me who is the GM. :p

Might have to invent some house rules or something to make it even more animu. Any house rules to share? :p

Ah. Sounds pretty nifty.

Wwlp, as the GM, you decide what can the pc summons; is generally the reason why people do not like much the summoners, they may consume time of the campaign (like joining a ocult group, or trying to fullfil a pact).

There's a few houserules in the links above, but I thibk the mega link is down (some dude decided to erase the mega content, so the link was replaced), but the drive most still be up (a few houserules of a user of the international discord). Although, the content in the mega is in spanish (naturally).

If you wish, you can go to the twitter account of the creators, Yo tambien soy friki (or something like that, shoulen't be too difficult to find) and download it (its in spanish tho).

EDIT: New compilation link here (OP was also updated). Also, 1800: El Ocaso de la Humanidad.

Yeah. Spanish might be a bit difficult for me to read.

That said. How are Summoners even supposed to work at higher levels? It feels like anyone in the superhuman range with a ki technique or two could just straight up charge across a city and spear the Summoner before they could do anything.

They would have to constantly have super strong entities around themselves at all time to stand a chance it feels like.

I'm not used to summoners (cuz don't really like the Arcana), but I guess is that, they either have powerful entity (or several ones) around in order to avoid being straight out killed, or they use Incarnations, and uses the physical characteristics of ancient characters to they can stand for a while. Isn't like it can't work in the other way around, they summon Tawil and then chiao (actually, Karla did this, although instead of only the power, she summoned the entity itself), or use the World and be immune to everything for a while, of if you have back luck, the inverse World, and then just wait until the enemy kills itself.

I guess that is one way to do it. Trying to find any Ars Magnus that pairs well with using large weapons like two-handed sword or claymore. But there seems to be little to no support for those that like to use them.

To specificaly works with two-handed swords, not really, but if want a reference, Alastor uses Libreation of Power and Griever uses Final Attack, and maybe use Berserk . Also, you got Taurus, that is basically use heavy weapons as boomerangs, but that is an impossible weapon.

Yeah. Boomerangs is not the sort of style I am going for with my character. :p

Liberation Of Power might work, yeah. Do we know anything about the new edition of Anima that is supposedly going to come out? Apparently it is switching over to D10 as well or something.

Carlos said that he was planning in releasing it this years, but with the recent outbreak of Corvid and that his mother is more vulnerable than ever, it may be delayed again this time with better justificatio.

There's in going to be few more changes than simply switching to d10, like psionic no longer rolls for potentials, the classes Paladin and Dark Paladin merges together, and accumulation creatures can "defend", and maybe oither changes, but not remember much, but the new system is going to be more or less the same.

Aight. Hopefully he adds some more stuff rather than just make it be... Well, Anima but D10. Even if I kinda prefer D100 since it somehow just feels right for Anima.

Also, do you know if there is a document that compiles all of the checks that Presence covers?

Something like that. My character is going to be pretty PhR heavy so it'd be nice to have a easy to find compilation of all the Presence checks that you need to do.

Physical resistance encompasses quite a bit I imagine so it'd be nice to have the chart. :p

Unless I am over thinking it and there isn't all that much to keep track of.

Also. I hope there is more clarity on Divine combat. There is some support for it what with the dramatic time option and the alternate rules that causes the combatants to create shockwaves for miles around.

But some more stuff would always be nice. Since there seems to be characters that are above Level 15 after all. So maybe the endgame would be to somehow tackle those entities?

I mean. I doubt that would happen but it'd be neat.

Welp, can't mention every single resistance, but in short, if they affect the body is PhR, if its the mind then PsR, and if the essence or the power have magical nature then MR. VR and DR are kind of obvious, if its a venom or a disease use these (ah yeah, for 2.0 these resistances will be removed, and character will use instead PhR).

But if they try to transmutate, freeze, harm with acid, anything that alter ones constitution and health (that is not poison nor diseases) then one use PhR to avoid or reduces the effects. Then you got Presence checks, where you do not uses any of the formerly mentioned, but there's not much effects that do that.

There's no really a level limit in Anima, there's actually a Noth, that white creature with the form of a hand, that is Lv 24-28. Amaterasu No Mikoto is comfirmed to be Lv 20, with lv 10 of A. Warrior and other lv 10 of Tecnicist.

Yeah, Carlos used to comment in the old forum, and shared info of npcs and novels. Unfortunately few info lost when the forums closed, but he still shate info during the called Circle of Bards (he appears in the discord and then we ask him stuff), and the Animaladas (a comic com kind of event).

Over 40% of official info comes from there, rules clearing and lore alike (from few intangible effects grants bonuses to Stealth, and that Kisidan saw both Elisabetta and Lilith naked). You can see the compilation of WoG in the mega, look for Circulo de Bardos.

But yeah. I guess it'd be nice to see some form of support for campaigns of that level if that makes sense. Like a supplement that deals with the divine and what adventures of that scope would be like.

A bit like the Epic Legacy of 5E or those supplements that takes you to journeys in other worlds. :p

I do think Summoners could use having a larger compendium or some form of buff since it feels like in order for them to be any good, you need to start off at Level 3-4.

Well, I guess that is the same for all the classes perhaps. But we already covered that from before so I guess a simple fix for that is just starting at Level 4 or something.

Welp, we got adventures, but they are generally low levered (and in spanish); don't think I've read a high levelered adventure (like, Lv +`10). If you wish, I could sent you an invite to the internacional discord, maybe they got adventures there of what you're looking for.

Neh, Summoners are good as they are, is just that not well in low levels, just as mixed classes and the Tecnicist (men, there's not even aone official Mentalist Wizard npc aside of the one that appears in the GN's toolskit as example). They are kind of dangerous at high levels.

Back