• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Beyond the Mario-Verse [2-A God Tier Upgrades & Cosmology]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mephistus

Username Only
The cosmology should hold infinite universes and those that scale would be Count Bleck, Super Dimentio as they scale to the Void's power and being durable enough to survive it and Paper Mario, Paper Luigi, Paper Peach, & Paper Bowser for overcoming their durability and their power source being comparably powerful when amplified by love energy from the Pure Hearts.

If we have character profiles for Luigi, Peach, or Bowser eventually being made for their paper counterparts then this tier upgrade would apply to them as well with a Pure Hearts key,

Foundation:

There exist as many Subcons for as many dreamers in existence as stipulated in-game during BS Super Mario Bros USA (this is the English translation of the Japanese audio):
"Narrator: Subcon, the land of dreams. A long time ago in this land [audio gap] thanks to the actions of these four. Wart had his mouth filled with many vegetables and was kicked out of Subcon. However, there was not just one Subcon. There are as many Subcons as there are people's dreams, and Wart was secretly moving from dream to dream, causing trouble."

Every Subcon is indicated to be a universe in its own right based on the individual Subcon dream world that Mario had actively brought back to its peaceful and normal state.

There are realistic cosmic stars held within these parallel Subcons, as indicated by the official game guide with levels without stars and a moon and shown for levels with a moon and stars.

Citations:
https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._2_Inside_Out
https://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Bros._Encyclopedia

Argument 1:
"Infinite ghosts exist (but it is not from the ScareScraper!)"

Going off the Super Mario Odyssey official Nintendo licensed guide, there is a secret location found via pipe in the Ancient Kingdom where there is an already existing infinite number of ghosts and one Chargin' Chuck populating it in the lore the book presents the reader.

Excerpt from this guidebook:
"Open the Moon Rock and a strange pipe emerges right next to the Odyssey. Duck into it to find a strange world populated with infinite Chinchos, and a Chargin' Chuck."

These Chinchos are said to be ghosts and this is noted by their ethereal appearance.

There are numerous sources that show that ghosts need sleep and do dream as naturally in the verse:
o In Mario Party 5; the Stars invite a regular Boo, a ghost, to the Dream Depot since it has the ability to dream.
o In the Luigi's Mansion series, ghosts want to sleep and do so naturally. Even getting annoyed when they can't sleep.
o In Super Mario Galaxy series, the ghosts are shown to sleep as well.
o In Bowser's Inside Story Yikk's ghost speaks of him sleeping and his dreams.

Another Official Super Mario Odyssey Nintendo licensed guidebook for the game supplements that the ghosts should have also dreamed during while they were still alive Tostarenans prior to becoming ghosts by dying.

Excerpt from this guidebook:
"Considerably less savvy in the world of tourism, the Moe-Eye possess an ability the Tostarenans can only dream of."

Citations:
"The Art of Super Mario Odyssey"
"Super Mario Odyssey Prima Collector's Edition Guide"
"Super Mario Odyssey: Kingdom Adventures Travel Companion Volume 1 Prima Guide"

Argument 2:
"Infinite dream(er)s & hope(r)s exist according to an alien in Super Paper Mario during World 4 when you come back to visit after defeating the final boss"

Excerpt of the English translation from the Japanese version of the game:
"A young alien from the planet Puranēn..."
"Without leaving this planet, he thinks of the infinite universe."
"The universe spreads infinitely...and it's filled with hopes and dreams..."
"Thank you very much for protecting the world together!" -Translation credits to ZeroTwo

Here are the English versions of the lines used in question as they pertain most to this topic.

By analyzing this quote made, one can simply interpret that the alien here references an infinite number of certain off-screen creatures already alive in order to literally fill up this space with beings that sleep and dream (You can observe a sleeping being of course) and them coming to that conclusion based on knowing life completely throughout this infinite universe has dreaming capable organisms.

To go on with this train of thought, this can be exemplified for another alien living in this space that Tippi can determine he is capable of dreaming when she scans him during his sleep (sleeping next to Mario), and he can be examined by her special tattle ability while he sleeps to demonstrate that he dreams a heartfelt thing while sleeping.

"The alien child "Squirps", whose real name is "Squirp Korogaline Squirpina". Concerning his true identity, he was formerly the prince of the prospering Squirpia Kingdom of this universe...His dream is for the kingdom to someday be restored..." -Translation credits to LuckyEmile (Alice)

Argument 3:
"An Infinite number of pieces of paint make infinite dream worlds."

Side note here, I am just going off how paint is presented only in the Paper Mario verse since Color Splash paint isn't confirmed to be the exact same and share the same properties/source available outside of the Paper Mario verse such as for Regular Bowser Jr's paintbrush's paint making a sleepy Fat Boo and sleeping Petey Piranha in Super Mario Sunshine or the paint that is used to make Vincent Van Gore's ghost enemies in Luigi's Mansion; being washed by water in the former for Sunshine enemies.

The ending of Color Splash shows black paint makes up visible "outer space" as well for the Paper Mario verse, where even before this revelation we see a singular color fill in a paper background that starts as solid and becomes a hole.

Bowser forms Black Lava Bubbles solely from the black paint he spills off, which going by it being alike to all black paint that originated when coloring spaces like World 4 and bringing it into existence, black paint shows an equivalent physiology to the Lava Bubbles (a ghost species) that should be capable of dreaming individually as different sentient parts in its primordial form and even returns to be absorbed by Bowser as being simply referenced as still being simply black paint. Ghosts have proven to sleep and dream as I have repeatedly pointed out in Argument 1. The physiology of these same things can be affected in Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door by the sleep status effect.

Ignoring that, the Paint Stars are shown to sleep on their own being just a collection of specific paint colors and black paint is the result of mixing the paints they expel, which Antasma has (vaguely) indicated all sleeping beings simply make dreams when gathering dream energy regardless of species, which further hints that paint on its own would cause dream worlds to come into existence. Obviously, just sleeping on its own isn't perfect evidence that something dreams using our real-life examples of creatures, but that action strongly supports this idea that paints contribute to the number of existing dream worlds.

Argument 4:
"Infinite amounts of pieces of paper make infinite dream worlds."

In Color Splash, we are shown a scene of a paintless toad made only of blank regular, inanimate, and immobile paper being given paint by Mario and he states that he had a nightmare (in the Japanese version. In the English he outright states he had a whole deal with Wart showing up which is obviously a nod to Super Mario Bros 2)

So, it is presented that paper in the Paper Mario verse can dream on its own.

Space itself is made up of paper:

The sliced environment during Color Splash leaves a white void when paper is sliced.

The dimensional boundaries to outer space / World 4 from the Whoa Zone are constituted of paper.

Ending Notes:
Is that it? Not quite. Some notes on the dream cosmology as currently it works:

Dream Worlds are treated as being separately made and one cannot reach into another one conventionally, as shown with Luigi being normally unable to reach inside Bowser's dream from his dreams during Neo Bowser Castle events.

In SMB2 and Dream Team; dream people can be created inside the dreams, and falling asleep inside those dreams is possible and would correlate to more dream worlds coming into existence via those dream people dreaming as well.

There supposedly should exist a Subspace (called a dark mirror world) for every Subcon as well, with Merlon's counterpart alluding to there being a dark version of all things. Something seen with Flipside having Flopside, as well as what we are presented with there being a flipside world for Paper Mario's universe.

I'll be addressing some expected counter arguments in the form of questions to streamline some of the incoming discussion:

Why are you using the English version of Mario Odyssey?
Re: Mario says that this is the game version he officially stars in and even then, the localizations can take a secondary canon backseat in giving more info so as long as contradictions aren't made if the Japanese version is the original source material by date of release to the public and said version is supervised/collaborated in creation by the Japanese developers.

Why is this random alien's word an authority about World 4 and what if he's saying hyperbole?
Re: As the alien contextually says this knowledge confidently and as a way to praise the heroes after the Void goes away of who they saved, and with Tippi even backing up his own claim with also further accepting this knowledge of the state of World 4 not being finite when looking at the doorway to the dimension, this heavily leans to him having some unknown understanding of that universe that we should take at face value when it is said in an informal, respectful manner to the heroes on the lives they saved. Prior to this comparison of this space to what the heroes accomplished, he considers the universe to be infinite. Even Tiptron (a robot) gives the same adjective for her evaluation lines as Tippi when examining where the green dimensional door leads to, which would be redundant to repost. The conclusion from that statement fairly lends toward there being a correlated number of dream worlds spawned by these individuals.This wouldn’t be the first time we had a psychic alien that can examine outer space / the universe without moving. The other alternative I have heard is assuming he’s insane (and Tippi is too!) rather than lying, which I’m just going to ignore 😀

How can the Paper Mario verse contribute to the dream worlds held in the overall cosmology?
Re: The dream world itself that Luigi / Bowser has in Dream Team is presented as not being tied to the "real world" via Dreambert's words as its scope even as it does tangibly exist and can be interacted with by real world beings, so that would indicate that the Subcons are not tied to the book nor within the book (even should we treat the book being opened as a portal) and established to have their separated dimensional spaces as shown in Mario and Luigi: Dream Team.
To involve the events of Super Mario Bros 2 directly with the existence of Subcon, there are paper versions of Shy Guys, and the Paper Mario verse setting is supposed to be parallel shown with Wendy's convo with her brother of having paper selves.
The official bio from Mario Superstar Baseball has them all be henchmen/creations of Wart as their origin, this would support the same narration posited rule of there being a Subcon for each and every being who dreams with paper counterparts of the characters seen within Super Mario Bros 2:
"A charming, masked soldier. Shy Guys used to serve an evil king named Wart, but they nowadays make a lot of cameo appearances as friendly rivals of Mario. That said, they aren't always good... On the baseball mound, Shy Guys are consistent players with a few weaknesses."

Does the Void actually affect the entire cosmology from beyond the Paper Mario verse?
Re: There are items that have entered the book from the outside of the Paper Mario verse; showing some dimensional travel interaction had already occurring prior to the events of the prophecy starting the end of "all worlds", "everything" as foretold in the dark prophecy book that could come true (if it weren't for those meddling heroes!). There's no reason that this "world" would be spared when the paper characters view it as such being simply another "world", using such same descriptors as other "worlds" for the different dimensions they visit during the events of Super Paper Mario. The assured accuracy of the prophecy promised by the book being correctly followed would be contradicted with the regular verse being spared, since it should be a part of "everything" and just "another world" in context of these events.

Fin.

Last edited:
Huh, I was gonna wait a while on going for the 2B downgrades for the god tiers since there was just a base downgrade, but now there’s already a 2A upgrade again, so I might not be able to wait much longer now.

Anyways I disagree, but I doubt anyone expected anything else.

I don't have an opinion on rest if the rest but I'd just discard the ghost stuff, besides the fact that guides are dubiously canon this one's clearly just referring to the fact that the enemies respawn- I find it a bit silly to say that they're literally infinite, given that there's like, 20 on screen at once. You can count me as neutral towards the rest though.

Like Arch said, the first guide is almost 100% referring to the fact that they respawn infinitely, as opposed to there being a literal infinite amount of them.

Also, could you give the Japanese version of all the guides? It's mostly a precaution, and just to see if they line up with the english translations.

Yes that's him Officer. That's the face of one that downgraded my boi Mario.

Anyway I think that the respawning game lingo for should not work as a counter since it's described as them already being there in this world when he starts and enters the place; rather than while murdering them and then new ones show up on the ship to take their place. We don't explore past the ship the level this takes place on for this "strange world" beyond seeing the enemies that replace the ones Mario fells with that weird cloud horizon so just what seen being the cap is sus. I'm pretty sure the guide / game alludes it to being a pocket dimension but it's been a while since playing the level. But I can see where you are coming from on this better than the ScareScraper example used last thread.

Last edited:
"Infinite dream(er)s & hope(r)s exist according to an alien in Super Paper Mario during World 4 when you come back to visit after defeating the final boss"
"A young alien from the planet Puranēn..."
"Without leaving this planet, he thinks of the infinite universe."
"The universe spreads infinitely...and it's filled with hopes and dreams..."
"Thank you very much for protecting the world together!" -Translation credits to ZeroTwo
According to agnaa this would only be 3-A?

Edit: Infinite universe is high 3-A. (Ty Clover for clarifying) So this is not 2-A.

Last edited:
I guess it’s more like, there exists an infinite amount of dreams within this one universe, which are individually low 2-C.

normally I’d call it hyperbole or flowery language, but since paint can supposedly have dreams and the universe is composed of paint, it’s feasible.

That said, being able to sleep is not the same as having dreams, dreams need a specific type of sleep.

"Infinite universe" is High 3-A, what y'all need is a multiverse of an infinite number of universes
Thing is the quote doesn't / can't refer to dream worlds in the same space as the papery outer space. Just dreamers having dreams. Which work into the mechanics of the dreams being made into separated universes elsewhere. Dream Team indicates those worlds wouldn't be held in the plane of "reality".

That said, being able to sleep is not the same as having dreams, dreams need a specific type of sleep.

It's not outright confirmed nor denied so possibly tier could work there along with the showings of Mario Party secluding some creatures from being capable of dreaming.

Last edited:
But it doesn’t say dreamers. It says dreams, as in what dreamers create. And Mario isn’t actually inside a dream during World 4 (unless he can pull pure hearts from his dreams)

It's not outright confirmed nor denied so possibly tier could work there along with the showings of Mario Party secluding some being from being capable of dreaming.
The paper having nightmares sounds good if you assume the universe is composed of paper with paint attached, unless that’s exclusive to already sentient paper.

It says dreams, as in what dreamers create
Yes in their mind / brain. Theres nuance here to otherwise referencing the physical construct of a dream world made in Mario Party 5 / Subcon with a thought bubble / orb.

Also I don't believe somehow we could have one being dreaming at an infinite rate.

Also, could you give the Japanese version of all the guides? It's mostly a precaution, and just to see if they line up with the english translations.
To my surfing knowledge; the Japanese Mario Odyssey, SUPER PAPER MARIO guides are unavailable online for that. Smb2 was primarily released by Nintendo of America first so that guide should take priority for its English one. I don't believe smb2 has an official Japanese guide.

There is a Japanese website for the baseball game that I can promise to be sourced since it's originally Japanese company (Namco) developed and would be nice to look at. I think the bio comes from in game.

Last edited:
Yes that's him Officer. That's the face of one that downgraded my boi Mario.
🙂
Anyway I think that the respawning game lingo for should not work as a counter since it's described as them already being there in this world when he starts and enters the place; rather than while murdering them and then new ones show up on the ship to take their place. We don't explore past the ship the level this takes place on for this "strange world" beyond seeing the enemies that replace the ones Mario fells with that weird cloud horizon so just what seen being the cap is sus. I'm pretty sure the guide / game alludes it to being a pocket dimension but it's been a while since playing the level. But I can see where you are coming from on this better than the ScareScraper example used last thread.
I think it's just kind of a stretch to take a statement that's probably just referring to how that section works in gameplay as being indicative of lore- you seem to have stronger evidence so I'd just stick to that if it gets accepted.

I'm neutral, though I will point out that the "infinite ghosts" statement is probably hyperbole, and I don't believe that black paint is sentient enough to dream: paint in general is portrayed as more of a powerful substance than a sentient one (excluding the Big Paint Stars), and there is nothing besides the eyes implying that Black Lava Bubbles are more than the black paint being controlled by Black Bowser.

terminator-im.gif

Looking at the OP, there seems to be much more and stronger proof for a 2-A than there was in the previous thread. I'm in agreement.

Ok, I'll bite.
Im a bit surprised this is going slow? Usually there would be more mod input but aight. Word on the street a rebuttal is being written against the upgrade but no one said that

The infinite ghosts stuff might just be a hyperbole, not entirely sure, they do dream alright. I buy it, just unsure about it being truly infinite, im neutral to it. I think a possibly 2-A would be better than outright 2-A if we use this.

Again as I stated about infinite universe being 3-A or whatever, again unsure if this all mean infinite dreamers Argument 2 ,not too sold on since as stated, just seems 3-A to me since the criteria for that is Infinite universes and not multiverses. Do 100% agree that Tippi is a reliable source. I wouldn't see why not.

everything else Im neutral about. Leaning towards agreeing

Last edited:
Word on the street a rebuttal is being written against the upgrade but no one said that
Less a rebuttal against the upgrade itself and moreso fundamental issues with Dream cosmology stuff to begin with, which I’ll be covering in a thread sometime in the coming weeks.

Like before, I'm not knowledgeable on Mario's history given I've only ever played 2 games, but reading through it, I'd say possibly 2-A should work in my opinion. I guess I'll go over each argument in the OP.

1. I disagree with others opinion that the guide was refering to them respawning when that isn't indicated in the text, it's literally just stated that it's populated by an infinite number of them. However, if the guide book isn't something we consider full on canon, I'm hesitant to just accept it's claims without some backing from canon.

2. I think this could possibly be considered valid, an infinite space that is filled with dreams can be interpreted as their being infinite individuals who dream, though an argument can be made that he's not using the term filled as literal. For example, if I lived an a big house with a group of wonderful people and I said, "this house is filled with such wonderful people" it doesn't mean the house is literally compact with people in it's entirety of the space it can hold. Same if I said, "this universe is filled with wondrous things", it doesn't mean that each and every planet has something on it that'd be considered wondrous, just that you can find a lot of stuff. This is not to say that there isn't an infinite number of individuals in the universe he's refering to, I'm just explaining that it could be interpreted in another manner.

3 and 4. My issue with both of these is pretty much the same. The paint itself becomes an entity that would in turn dream, I don't think the paint on it's own would do that so even if there is a paint world that is infinite, it would not have infinite dreams. Same goes for the paper, sure the tode was immobile but It looks like it was still a paper tode that was given the ability to move by the stuff Mario gave it, it doesn't show than all paper is somehow sentient, it would just prove that regardless of if they are inactivate/immobile, these guys could still dream.

I don't think the evidence is iron tight but I can see the reasoning behind some of it which is why I'd argue possibly 2-A but that's just my stance. I have a few other threads that I was asked to evaluate so I just came to drop my honest thoughts. I might not be able to respond for a bit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back