• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Touhou Discussion Thread 3 ⌈Eternal Fantasy Edition⌋

Less than 24 hours before I get back to my computer and can get back on the research grind... I still gotta finish IaMP and PCB, but even considering how far I have to go, I've found some insane shit.

Tonight.

image0.jpg

Less than 24 hours before I get back to my computer and can get back on the research grind... I still gotta finish IaMP and PCB, but even considering how far I have to go, I've found some insane shit.
Damn, if you find anything especially worth taking a look at, do shoot a link my way or something. It's best to be on the same page for future CRTs.

I'll probably continue reading through a lot of the written media soon, myself.

Damn, if you find anything especially worth taking a look at, do shoot a link my way or something. It's best to be on the same page for future CRTs.

I'll probably continue reading through a lot of the written media soon, myself.
We have a Discord gc discussing the ongoing upgrades if you're interested (@Kirbonic_Pikmin will have to invite you, I'm tired as ****). Rn it's just retreading all canon content + WoG stuff and seeing what stuff was missed previously (a lot, as it turns out). CRTs will come much later, and will probably be split up into 25+ threads (lol, lmao even).

Probably the interesting found is the spring mechanic in PCB, which is really strong life absorption that also creates forcefields and negs sealing, which everyone should in that game's cast gets (maybe everyone in HSiFS, too. at least Okina).

I suspect that every games gimmick will grant us some of bs haxes, i'm curious on what we'll get from Animal Spirits in WBaWC and the CAPITALISM Market Cards in UM

Animal Spirits probably won't grant much I'm afraid, aside from some good stat amping. Ability cards have been on profiles for a while though.

I will say that Ten Desires probably has one of the stronger game mechanics, given trance mode is spatial intangibility which triggers automatically upon death. Perfect possession is also up there, given its possession should be layered.

Animal Spirits probably won't grant much I'm afraid, aside from some good stat amping. Ability cards have been on profiles for a while though.
Ah, i prolly missed it lel
Basically what "not-checking-the-profiles" has to do to a lazy mfs
I will say that Ten Desires probably has one of the stronger game mechanics, given trance mode is spatial intangibility which triggers automatically upon death. Perfect possession is also up there, given its possession should be layered.
How about IN game mechanic?

How about IN game mechanic?
I'm so glad you reminded me, because there's SO much shit. The whole cast (maybe even all youkai) having layered illusion creation, youkai and humans getting near universal ESP, POSSIBLE space-time absorption, and support for magic users having body puppetry.

I'm so glad you reminded me, because there's SO much shit. The whole cast (maybe even all youkai) having layered illusion creation, youkai and humans getting near universal ESP, POSSIBLE space-time absorption, and support for magic users having body puppetry.
As always, IN being the best and based Touhou Games
Yeah i expected it, i mean the whole night time mechanic in IN would told us something in hax

Anyway, searched an very old fanarts of Mokou (which i've got it and used it as my new pfp), made me realize how old i am lmao
images

Sometime having a boomer taste can be a nostalgia crisis

We have a Discord gc discussing the ongoing upgrades if you're interested (@Kirbonic_Pikmin will have to invite you, I'm tired as ****). Rn it's just retreading all canon content + WoG stuff and seeing what stuff was missed previously (a lot, as it turns out). CRTs will come much later, and will probably be split up into 25+ threads (lol, lmao even).

Probably the interesting found is the spring mechanic in PCB, which is really strong life absorption that also creates forcefields and negs sealing, which everyone should in that game's cast gets (maybe everyone in HSiFS, too. at least Okina).
Thank you for the heads up! I'll make sure to contact Kirb when I have time.

And, sounds like the P&A list is only going to get more and more absurdly long. Touhou is really a crazy wanked verse, huh?

Actually because I've been unable to sleep (for a variety of reasons) I'll just invite you myself.

Anyways, I definitely think Touhou can become one of the strongest non-smurfs, if not one of the strongest verses in general. The low tiers are already decently high up in the non-smurf list. Now imagine what we have now + layered HGR, passive multiversal fatehax, and so much more to come.

Actually because I've been unable to sleep (for a variety of reasons) I'll just invite you myself.
Drink a sleep drugs or something like that, as Reisen intended to
Anyways, I definitely think Touhou can become one of the strongest non-smurfs, if not one of the strongest verses in general. The low tiers are already decently high up in the non-smurf list. Now imagine what we have now + layered HGR, passive multiversal fatehax, and so much more to come.
We have come the long way, huh?

Cool. Welll then, why did everyone on Touhou Twitter yesterday had Miko PFPs? Did she die and they're honoring her passing or something?

Ayo has anyone else been watching Touhou Igyoukyo Grotesque Land Story ?? It's a fanmade Touhou series that's gory, depressing, gory, horror focused, gory and it's similar to KKHTA but it has better writing.

One of the English translators of that series made a video recapping which characters survived (It has spoilers for the [fanmade] series)

Who won that war?
Nobody. Everyone lost.

Ayo has anyone else been watching Touhou Igyoukyo Grotesque Land Story ?? It's a fanmade Touhou series that's gory, depressing, gory, horror focused, gory and it's similar to KKHTA but it has better writing.

One of the English translators of that series made a video recapping which characters survived (It has spoilers for the [fanmade] series)

eh, I haven’t. I ******* hate KKHTA so I was initially put off by a series that seemed too similar in execution, but I’ve considered checking it out to see if it executes its ideas better than KKHTA. It seems better off the rip since it doesn’t seem to disastrously mischaracterize it’s main characters at least.

Nobody. Everyone lost.
Why is it even happened in first place lel
eh, I haven’t. I ******* hate KKHTA so I was initially put off by a series that seemed too similar in execution, but I’ve considered checking it out to see if it executes its ideas better than KKHTA. It seems better off the rip since it doesn’t seem to disastrously mischaracterize it’s main characters at least.
Same here, for me KKHTA butchered a lot's of characters for the sake of "evangelion-like" tropes and ultimate shock factor to the point you can't even see them in the same way anymore (looking at you, Koishi)
This is also the reason why Watatsuki Sisters is pretty hated because of the KKHTA

At least this one way more tolerable and....good too, not over-grotesque and making it very evangelion

KKHTA’s issues with mischaracterization are more earth shattering flaws that kinda completely ruin the point of the characters to the point that they aren’t even the same characters anymore. KKHTA had no reason being a Touhou plot really.

The Komeijis aren’t the Komeiji’s, Satori and Koishi act like the complete opposite of how they do in canon. Their backstories are completely different too, now they’re some weird alien parasite that takes over a corpse and controls it, with Koishi’s body specifically having some stupid story about a woman killing her child in a fit after her husband leaves her and then Koishi taking over the child and killing the mother then taking her body (******* asinine and stupid backstory btw). They’re not Satori’s, which means they didn’t go through all the struggles with racism & oppression that led them to turn out the way they did (Satori being a shut in, Koishi closing her eye) which means Koishi’s eye being closed doesn’t even make ******* sense. Any semblance of the characters being the characters (their race, their personality, the backstories) are gone and changed to something incongruent and needlessly edgy, it completely misses the point of the characters. This isn’t Koishi, this is a skinwalker in a vaguely Koishi shaped body.

ultimately the whole story struggles from issues like this, it bastardizes and ***** all over the characters it uses (Marisa is suddenly a sociopath, Byakuren, the Buddhist, is depicted as a genocidal maniac, etc), has needlessly grim dark and edgy content that’s just poorly handled as ****, a lot of unnecessary sexual assault, and the whole story just ******* sucks. It’s only redeeming factor is it’s admittedly iconic art style.

I could go on for ages why I don’t like KKHTA but I just think it’s a poor work overall, that takes something near and dear to me (the Komeijis) and completely bungles everything good about them

The Komeijis aren’t the Komeiji’s, Satori and Koishi act like the complete opposite of how they do in canon. Their backstories are completely different too, now they’re some weird alien parasite that takes over a corpse and controls it, with Koishi’s body specifically having some stupid story about a woman killing her child in a fit after her husband leaves her and then Koishi taking over the child and killing the mother then taking her body (******* asinine and stupid backstory btw). They’re not Satori’s, which means they didn’t go through all the struggles with racism & oppression that led them to turn out the way they did (Satori being a shut in, Koishi closing her eye) which means Koishi’s eye being closed doesn’t even make ******* sense. Any semblance of the characters being the characters (their race, their personality, the backstories) are gone and changed to something incongruent and needlessly edgy, it completely misses the point of the characters. This isn’t Koishi, this is a skinwalker in a vaguely Koishi shaped body.
You say that as if the satoris being some weird alien parasite/skinwalker things is not the coolest thing ever. Sure it's nothing like canon and yari-yara but it's still awesome, it's just completely different from canon.

So i have watched many of hilarious MMD and noticed that....since when Kutaka has become an emo lmao
Like her eyes became pitch black and has a black liner below her eyes, it's like she's dead inside 😂

You say that as if the satoris being some weird alien parasite/skinwalker things is not the coolest thing ever. Sure it's nothing like canon and yari-yara but it's still awesome, it's just completely different from canon.
I think it kind of sucks and completely removes most of what I like about the characters as a whole. Then just being a normal race of youkai that are hated solely because of what makes them special (mind reading) and the clear allusions to racism & how different people have coped with oppression is one of the best and most important parts of their characters that literally defined them, and are part of why I like them so much, I appreciate the representation as someone who’s gone through similar struggles during my life.

Them being evil psychopath skinwalkers is kind of ******* boring in comparison to what they I had before, honestly.

The Watatsukis also being these same parasitic skinwalkers was also completely unnecessary and kind of devalues the interest in the Komeijis plot. Also introduces some bad subtext where the race of youkai that represented the oppressed is now composed solely of either genocidal maniacs or psychopathic killers.

Again, nothing about this story required it to be based on Touhou and everything about its basis in Touhou just works against it. KKHTA really should’ve just been it’s own web series inspired by Touhou lol.

I think it kind of sucks and completely removes most of what I like about the characters as a whole. Then just being a normal race of youkai that are hated solely because of what makes them special (mind reading) and the clear allusions to racism & how different people have coped with oppression is one of the best and most important parts of their characters that literally defined them, and are part of why I like them so much, I appreciate the representation as someone who’s gone through similar struggles during my life.

Them being evil psychopath skinwalkers is kind of ******* boring in comparison to what they I had before, honestly.

The Watatsukis also being these same parasitic skinwalkers was also completely unnecessary and kind of devalues the interest in the Komeijis plot. Also introduces some bad subtext where the race of youkai that represented the oppressed is now composed solely of either genocidal maniacs or psychopathic killers.

Again, nothing about this story required it to be based on Touhou and everything about its basis in Touhou just works against it. KKHTA really should’ve just been it’s own web series inspired by Touhou lol.
Fair enough, I like those characters for different reasons and I don't mind that a single fanmade series I enjoyed altered those traits. I always think of everything with the Rule of cool. And the komeijis having sick tentacles and parasitic abilities is extremely cool. There is no deep meaning behind it for me.

Back